It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Feb 11

Newmarket, UK

#97912 Jan 22, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree. But the Founders of the United States had the 'benefit' of both their experience, and that of those who'd preceded them.
The problem overall however, is that the people are themselves not very well informed, if only because the paradigm of most all government is such that they —the people— are intentionally cutout of the big picture, being kept ignorant of what's actually being done in their own names.
It's the reason I keep saying that the paradigm of government MUST change, such that elected/appointed members of government shall NOT have ANY authority to make law, period.
It's the only way for the people to be FULLY connected to what's going on, and being done in their names.
This is true. Unfortunatley a lot of English school children and their parents, if asked about the Magna Carta would think you are refering to a new pop group. They have little interest or understanding of what is going on in their name.

I suspect your view is the same as mine, but Perhaps you would relate your opinion on Mr Obama's desire for the UK to remain in the EU. A desire for a one world goverment methinks, with control removed from all peoples.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#97913 Jan 22, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone has to be...
You certainly aren't.
Nor would I care to be. Especially if Obama is at/near the top of your legends list.

Since: Feb 11

Newmarket, UK

#97914 Jan 22, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
The document in question hasn't been eroded but created with purpose to be amended.
Why do you suppose that's so?
lol
"Change" perhaps?
"If they could, they'd be the first to tell you that."
--THEY HAVE
I'm a fortuneteller
A clairvoyant
--AND
A deity.
If the document were intended to be subjected to CHANGES, then I would have thought the framers would have made considerable comment regarding such.
Tm Clmns

Victoria, Canada

#97915 Jan 22, 2013
Give it up guys...

Guns are too complicated, dangerous for you..

Maybe switch to clubs or bats. Strike the 2nd.. Amend..

you can't take a gun out of a case without it going off.

you take guns to college and shoot bystanders instead of your

intended target.

You are just going to continue to hurt yourselves.

Let Pres. Obama save you from your inabilities.

You need some gun control.. since you can't control guns.

Maybe it's Coca Cola and big Macs that are screwing your minds up.

or reality tv.

give it up..
Dr Freud

UK

#97916 Jan 22, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true. Unfortunatley a lot of English school children and their parents, if asked about the Magna Carta would think you are refering to a new pop group. They have little interest or understanding of what is going on in their name.
I suspect your view is the same as mine, but Perhaps you would relate your opinion on Mr Obama's desire for the UK to remain in the EU. A desire for a one world goverment methinks, with control removed from all peoples.
"I suspect your view is the same as mine, but Perhaps you would relate your opinion on Mr Obama's desire for the UK to remain in the EU."

I suspect likewise!
However 'Mr. Obama' has a lesser amount testosterone than his wife.
As regards his opinion? Well, let me say just this: His opinion is 'given' to him on a daily basis, which he is wont to regurgitate for fear that if he doesn't, he'll no longer be.
Such has been the case since at least the Wilson administration.
Aside from that, here's a read of which you might give some time:
http://tomatobubble.com/fh1.html
Face the Facts

Rantoul, IL

#97917 Jan 22, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"that's like saying if you have nothing to hide, you should mind the govt coming in and doing random searches"
But in addition to that, the whole thought behind the remark 'Well if you have nothing to hide ...' is tantamount to an accusation of guilt.
If you object, then you MUST of necessity be guilty of something. But that's the mindset of the any person who demands that you surrender your privacy for close inspection, and therefore open your entire life to critical evaluation.
It's the mindset of NAZI SS (Schutzstaffel), also including the Gestapo. Later, the same tactics were employed by the Stasi in East Germany, the Cheka in the USSR (later the OGPU).
The fact that those tactics were employed by the worst dregs of humanity is rather telling, inasmuch that there are Americans (presumably) posting from American locations, and who see nothing wrong with resorting to the totally denigrating.
If that mindset pervades the anti-gun community, then it is no wonder that they've taken to false-flag events in order to demonize the largest segment of the U.S. population.
After all, if you can't speak with facts, then any old lie will have to do.
"“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
Joseph Goebbels
Yes and it was a different story when the left was screaming "it's unconstitutional, it's unfair, it's unjust" for them to get searched for drugs.
Also, isn't it interesting how the leftwing claims they care so much about keeping people from being murdered and yet they could have a huge impact on saving lives simply by stoppping their drug use...suddenly the other peoples lives don't matter so much.
They then place the blame for drug related murders on those who don't want drugs legalized so the children can be raised in a drug free environment.
Those anti-gun hypocrites on the left who voted for Obama care more about their own pleasure than they care about children. That game of using the kids to manipulate an outcome is becoming obvious to some of us.
They always scream about what's fair and yet they stoop to the lowest level of using children to try and force their unconstitutional or unjust will on others.

P.S. I am not saying that an adult who pulls a weed from his garden to smoke should be tossed into a jail but I am saying the leftwing liberal Obama voters are purely full of Bullshiit and very dishonest.
Tm Clmns

Victoria, Canada

#97918 Jan 22, 2013
Guns yes people no wrote:
I like Meat fresh kill is the best
That's why you hunt at these phony game/hunting parks.

The deer are tied by their hind legs to trees to make sure you get a good shot.

American-style hunting.

that's why you need an assault rifle with 30 shots..
Face the Facts

Rantoul, IL

#97919 Jan 22, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Send me a postcard from the frontline when you half-backed gun-a-hooics take on the US military - how spectacularly moronic!
Hey azzhole You might be alittle surprised when you wake up and discover that half of the US Military has their weapons pointed in your direction and are willing to fight for the traditional American values that you hate so much.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#97920 Jan 22, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the document were intended to be subjected to CHANGES, then I would have thought the framers would have made considerable comment regarding such.
They did, Cupcake.

ARTICLE V
Dr Freud

UK

#97921 Jan 22, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they did: Article V:

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/artic...

The communists, and the fascists, will simply enact laws contrary to that statement, and pretend that their laws 'override,' without question.
And ANYONE questioning any of that, is summarily arrested, stuffed into a jail cell to be raped, and/or murdered, with the communofascists denying that anything ever happened.
America, you see, has become the land of the enslaved, and the home of the communofascist.
Want proof? Guantanamo, and the over 700 'FEMA' camps which have been constructed throughout the U.S., many of which have incinerators to dispose of the future protestors.
http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/2012/11/12/...
Tm Clmns

Victoria, Canada

#97922 Jan 22, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"I suspect your view is the same as mine, but Perhaps you would relate your opinion on Mr Obama's desire for the UK to remain in the EU."
I suspect likewise!
However 'Mr. Obama' has a lesser amount testosterone than his wife.
As regards his opinion? Well, let me say just this: His opinion is 'given' to him on a daily basis, which he is wont to regurgitate for fear that if he doesn't, he'll no longer be.
Such has been the case since at least the Wilson administration.
Aside from that, here's a read of which you might give some time:
http://tomatobubble.com/fh1.html
You forgot to mention that martians are going to convert all earthly money into green cheese to build the NWO headquarters in Dubai.
Be more specific....
Obama's T levels are just fine, unfortunately for many..
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#97923 Jan 22, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
BEWARE: A 'true' democracy is to be avoided like the plague, for in its essence, it is the very quintessence of the tyranny of the majority, where the minority become SLAVES, or worse yet? They are slaughtered!
Therefore, a republic is the VERY BEST form of government, just as long as the MAJORITY are NEVER afforded the leeway to FORCE ANYONE to act against his will.
Sorry but your description is that a right-wing simpleton! We live in a republic (a group of states that are self governing under the umbrella of a centralized or federal government). The type of system we employ is a representative form of democracy (meaning the people vote for people to represent their views instead of directly participating in every bit of legislation). This was done to weigh the needs of the people (the house of representatives) in balance with the needs of the states (the senate). Republic and democracy are descriptions of two different things (one is a form of goverment, the other is the system of goverment). So, for example you have the former Soviet Union, which was a republic, but not a democracy. You also have India, which is a democracy but not a republic. The US is both. N. Korea is neither.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#97924 Jan 22, 2013
Another terrorist attack -'they' want Our guns:

Another Gun Free Zone shooting. How many left their firearms in their car?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/01/22/rpt-seve...
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#97925 Jan 22, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response should have included a reference to the U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 8, clause 8:
"To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;"
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/artic...
The Founders of the United States were well informed, and knew that science, and technology, never stands still.
The Kentucky rifle is a very classic example, right along with the Puckle gun:
http://inventors.about.com/od/militaryhistory...
I thought of that after I posted. The constitution protects ones own thoughts and ideas as ones property by virtue of patents and copyrights.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#97926 Jan 22, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Although not a religious man, I know that the bible mentions seven deadly sins,,,are you suggesting that man no longer practices them ?
I believe that is what Teaman is refering to,,mans true nature, has changed little in two thousand years and more.
That's correct. The nature of man and especially the nature of powerful men hasn't changed in thousands of years.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#97927 Jan 22, 2013
Patriot wrote:
Another terrorist attack -'they' want Our guns:
Another Gun Free Zone shooting. How many left their firearms in their car?
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/01/22/rpt-seve...
How incredibly sad when one only finds comfort in guns alone :-/
Dr Freud

UK

#97928 Jan 22, 2013
Tm Clmns wrote:
Give it up guys...
Guns are too complicated, dangerous for you..
Maybe switch to clubs or bats. Strike the 2nd.. Amend..
you can't take a gun out of a case without it going off.
you take guns to college and shoot bystanders instead of your
intended target.
You are just going to continue to hurt yourselves.
Let Pres. Obama save you from your inabilities.
You need some gun control.. since you can't control guns.
Maybe it's Coca Cola and big Macs that are screwing your minds up.
or reality tv.
give it up..
The Internet is TOO complicated for you to comprehend, as is evidenced by YOUR continued inability to COMPREHEND that the rest of us WILL NOT surrender to YOUR COMMUNOFASCIST BULLSHIT!
So, GO SHOVE YOUT BS back up YOUR ARSE from where YOU extracted it!

Since: Dec 10

Brisbane, Australia

#97929 Jan 22, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
While many may 'benefit' from the sweat of another's brow, no individual makes any money from the effort, time, and money which he might bring to bear to solve a problem.
That is the very essence of communism, for it declares that no man owns himself, and therefore his intellect is the property of the collective, to be taken advantage of endlessly.
Now, if that's what someone wants, and is willing to live with, then that is their choice to make.
the crux of the meaning of communism is total equality, no rulers equal decision making and equal sharing of profits and losses....We have never seen this applied to any country...Comunism just does not exist in our world...it never has....Russia had rulers, China North Korea has rulers....none of these are communist countries...they and you give communism a bad name because you have no concept of what it means if you believe that in comunism any one can be taken advantage of....just the oposite, comunism is TOTAL equality, we have never, and will never see the likes of it... it cannot succeed because for communism to succeed there should be no greed and no class system.....not possible....you will always get those who want more than their fair share.....THERE IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A COMMUNIST COUNTRY.....and never has been.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#97930 Jan 22, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
They did, Cupcake.
ARTICLE V
Not that easy. An amendment needs to be ratified by three fourths of the state legislatures.

The 14th amendment was passed by using extortion. The southern states couldn't have their seats back in congress and remain occupied unless they voted for the 14th.

http://www.constitution.org/14ll/no14th.htm

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#97931 Jan 22, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
How incredibly sad when one only finds comfort in guns alone :-/
How incredibly gullible when one believes government is the answer to all problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,276,791
News 'Anchor baby' fight scrambles Republican field 2 min Taletha 312
News White House says Mount McKinley to be renamed D... 3 min Lawrence Wolf 76
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min whistle 341,073
News Obama expands ISIL fight into Syria; Canada won... (Sep '14) 3 min Swedenforever 18
News Trump, Carson in close fight in Iowa poll 4 min Andrew 35
News Hispanic cultural center 4 min Under your nose 3
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 18 min HILLARY 2016 193,907
News GOP establishment plans Trump takedown 22 min Swedenforever 96
More from around the web