It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 4,582)

Showing posts 91,621 - 91,640 of103,233
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'founder' of Linux (Linus Benedict Torvalds) was given to remark that THAT particular iteration of Unix was the most effective expression of communism, because everybody contributed, but nobody benefited.
You're a crusty old scab.

--I'LL

Just bet you're using at the very least, a Linux inspired browser and most assuredly hiding behind a secure Linux server.

--STICK

To what you know best...

Sniffing your own gas.
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Thanks "VET", for the reminder. Must take Rover to the vet tomorrow! Ta.
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Dont wrote:
<quoted text>
blame him for the racists, talk radio, fox noise, teabaggers, gun nuts, birthers and the republicans who have targeted him. His problem during the first term is that he tried to compromise too much with people of bad faith.
"he tried to compromise too much with people of bad faith."

You mean, he —himself of bad faith— attempted to compromise on the principles of the American republic.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is running the country of Egypt, you f-ing retard? That would be the Muslim Brotherhood. A radical TERRORIST organization. And who just agreed to give them 20 F-16 fighter jets? That would be OBAMA.
These are NOT talking points, idiot. These are FACTS. But I wouldn't expect you to know what those are, since you have yet to ever post one.
Now go crawl back under your rock you f-ing troll.
Blah, blah, blah, blah you are a sorry retarded parrot ...
Guppy

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Brit Expat wrote:
Just a thought!
It's almost certain from my experience, engaging with some Americans during my 82 years. They are completely USless without thier little guns.
The really appalling thing is thier insane gusto, wanting to export the insanity of the USA outside of thier borders.
Old Troll
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Obama will become the Democrats' Reagan. The narrative writes itself. He will emerge as an iconic figure who struggled through a recession cleaning up the Bush mess and a terrorized world, reshaping the economy within it, passing universal health care, strafing the ranks of Al Qaeda, presiding over a civil-rights revolution, and surely will be enjoying the fruits of the recovery.
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Brit Expat wrote:
Just a thought!
It's almost certain from my experience, engaging with some Americans during my 82 years. They are completely USless without thier little guns.
The really appalling thing is thier insane gusto, wanting to export the insanity of the USA outside of thier borders.
Many Brits see YOU in the VERY SAME light as you cast upon the Americans.
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Blah, blah, blah, blah you are a sorry retarded parrot ...
You didn't even both to address his points. Why not?
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

AnnAgain wrote:
Obama will become the Democrats' Reagan. The narrative writes itself. He will emerge as an iconic figure who struggled through a recession cleaning up the Bush mess and a terrorized world, reshaping the economy within it, passing universal health care, strafing the ranks of Al Qaeda, presiding over a civil-rights revolution, and surely will be enjoying the fruits of the recovery.
Ya. He cries crocodile tears for the undead children of Sandy Hook, but has NO TEARS AT ALL for ALL of the CHILDREN his DRONES have MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD!
Oh, and by the way: Precisely WHAT is 'universal health care?'
WHO provides that, and HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Are doctors and nurses to be FORCED to provide that care, and WHO pays them for BEING FORCED to provide services AGAINST THEIR WILL?
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Brits see YOU in the VERY SAME light as you cast upon the Americans.
Ahhh Is that a fact? Are you an Englishman? With some pedigree, or a resident of Britain? There is a difference!
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Brit Expat wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh Is that a fact? Are you an Englishman? With some pedigree, or a resident of Britain? There is a difference!
"Are you an Englishman?"

I find THAT question to be rather revealing, inasmuch as there are FOUR distinct nations in the U.K.:
[1] The Welsh
[2] The English
[3] The Scots
[4] The Northern Irish
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE in the isles who speaks ONLY of the English, is either an EXTREME racist, or a poseur.
Only YOU know for sure!
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya. He cries crocodile tears for the undead children of Sandy Hook, but has NO TEARS AT ALL for ALL of the CHILDREN his DRONES have MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD!
Are doctors and nurses to be FORCED to provide that care, and WHO pays them for BEING FORCED to provide services AGAINST THEIR WILL?
LOL ... sour grapes!!
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... sour grapes!!

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"he tried to compromise too much with people of bad faith."
You mean, he —himself of bad faith— attempted to compromise on the principles of the American republic.
The People of the "American Republic", as you've put it.

Endorsed his first term...

By electing him to a second.

Overwhelmingly.
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"Are you an Englishman?"
I find THAT question to be rather revealing, inasmuch as there are FOUR distinct nations in the U.K.:
[1] The Welsh
[2] The English
[3] The Scots
[4] The Northern Irish
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE in the isles who speaks ONLY of the English, is either an EXTREME racist, or a poseur.
Only YOU know for sure!
Hee hee. I know for sure!

Just for starters:-

There was a young man from Wales

Who lived on all shit and snails

When he coul'dnt get these

he lived on the cheese

that he scrapped from his knob with his nails.

Who said? I'm not British? F-ck that an English pig. LOL
Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

look wrote:
<quoted text>Why aren't men and women that own guns good people???What are they in your eyes???You do realize men and women with guns fight everyday for our freedom and security...People with guns win wars and save lives everyday around the world, do you think the Syrian rebels should lay down their guns??? I know a ton of good people that own guns, what do you own besides a cat???
Cat? I own THREE cats.

Why aren't men and women that own guns good people? They are weird people. Backwards.

Our freedom and security? Running around Afghanistan etc. and killing people randomly does what for our freedom and security? They shoot us, we shoot them, and then someone decides it's over, and everyone goes home. Total waste of life.

Because I don't own a gun means I don't own anything? I don't know what you mean?
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
The People of the "American Republic", as you've put it.
Endorsed his first term...
By electing him to a second.
Overwhelmingly.
And voting machines are absolutely never able to be hacked, right?

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Things We Learned About Howard's War On Guns

Aussie gun owners were more receptive because they were getting a little somethin' somethin' in return. A similar approach in the US would put a massive strain on their economy.
To make this plan work, there had to be a federally financed gun buyback scheme. Ultimately, the cost of the buyback was met by a special one-off tax imposed on all Australians. This required new legislation and was widely accepted across the political spectrum. Almost 700,000 guns were bought back and destroyed — the equivalent of 40 million guns in the United States.

What a surprise. Racists and bigots like guns.
The leaders of the National Party, as well as the premier of Queensland, courageously supported my government’s decision, despite the electoral pain it caused them. Within a year, a new populist and conservative political party, the One Nation Party, emerged and took many votes from our coalition in subsequent state and federal elections; one of its key policies was the reversal of the gun laws.

Your "It's because of societies moral decay" argument is null and void you redneck yokel. Guns kill people.
The fundamental problem was the ready availability of high-powered weapons, which enabled people to convert their murderous impulses into mass killing. Certainly, shortcomings in treating mental illness and the harmful influence of violent video games and movies may have played a role. But nothing trumps easy access to a gun. It is easier to kill 10 people with a gun than with a knife.

While his lack of sporting prowess and dorky demeanor suggested otherwise, Howard must have had a pretty mean "Don't fuck with me or I'll end you!" side to him behind closed doors.
For a time, it seemed that certain states might refuse to enact the ban. But I made clear that my government was willing to hold a nationwide referendum to alter the Australian Constitution and give the federal government constitutional power over guns. Such a referendum would have been expensive and divisive, but it would have passed. And all state governments knew this.

This was the Howard Government's greatest achievement and will benefit Australians for generations to come.
In the end, we won the battle to change gun laws because there was majority support across Australia for banning certain weapons. And today, there is a wide consensus that our 1996 reforms not only reduced the gun-related homicide rate, but also the suicide rate. The Australian Institute of Criminology found that gun-related murders and suicides fell sharply after 1996. The American Journal of Law and Economics found that our gun buyback scheme cut firearm suicides by 74 percent. In the 18 years before the 1996 reforms, Australia suffered 13 gun massacres — each with more than four victims — causing a total of 102 deaths. There has not been a single massacre in that category since 1996.

A: This is how true governments show courage, strength and leadership when they are serious about protecting it's citizens in the face of adversity in a sane country, and it works!
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Brit Expat wrote:
<quoted text>
Hee hee. I know for sure!
Just for starters:-
There was a young man from Wales
Who lived on all shit and snails
When he coul'dnt get these
he lived on the cheese
that he scrapped from his knob with his nails.
Who said? I'm not British? F-ck that an English pig. LOL
There was once a self-proclaimed British Expat,
Who was enamored of declaring both this, and that,
But upon closer inspection of his declarations,
It was found that he engaged in deceits, and deceptions,
Being nothing more than a whole reeking load of bull scat!
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
There was once a self-proclaimed British Expat,
Who was enamored of declaring both this, and that,
But upon closer inspection of his declarations,
It was found that he engaged in deceits, and deceptions,
Being nothing more than a whole reeking load of bull scat!
Ok. Not that blill tho. as limiricks go. lol.

There was a young girl from Australia

Who's thing was as big as a dalia

At three pence a smell she did quite well

But! sixpence a lick was a failure

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,621 - 91,640 of103,233
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

159 Users are viewing the US News Forum right now

Search the US News Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Spinning Obamacare success 3 min Shinichiro Takizawa 108
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,037,706
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min freelancehobo 139,194
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Grand Birther 167,753
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min -Dont Panic- 219,607
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 14 min NOISY TOILET 106,347
Cliven Bundy is angry - Just like the rest of us 19 min barefoot2626 128
•••
•••
•••
•••