It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#97595 Jan 21, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Most divisive president EVER. At no time on our countries history has it ever been promoted like now that being high-paid and successful is a bad thing.
Divisive?

Really

This President exhibits more love, intelligence, compassion, drive and capacitance for understanding any issue, within a single nail clipping.

--THAN

You constipated, Conservative Constantines could conspire to dream of.

--AND

I take particular pride and comforting solace in the fact, Lowbrows like you will have to deal with those facts for...

Four more years.

At least.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#97596 Jan 21, 2013
another wrote:
<quoted text>
lie.
Oops...I was mistaken. He only sent drones to a couple....and it was SIX countries:
1. War on Libya without congressional approval.
2. Started a covert, drone war in Yemen.
3. Escalated the proxy war in Somalia.
4. Escalated the CIA drone war in Pakistan.
5. Maintained a presence in Iraq even after "ending" the war.
6. Sharply escalated the war in Afghanistan, which he STILL hasn't ended after promising to do so.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#97597 Jan 21, 2013
old troll
So you

Santa Fe, NM

#97598 Jan 21, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
you lied. No troops or american loss of life in most of these. Iraq mostly over. Afganistan very soon.
Dr Freud

UK

#97599 Jan 21, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Thank you both for those explanations. Distinguishing between Rights and Privileges comes less naturally to perhaps most Australians like me, because Australia does not have a Bill of Rights as such. I guess all that leaves us with are privileges, any of which are potentially subject to intervention.
Pros & Cons of a Bill of Rights is another debate for another topic.
Allow me to say that you're attacking your problem from the standpoint that because your constitution doesn't say you have a certain right, that you summarily presume that the right doesn't exist.
That line of thinking is reenforced by those in political office, when they keep declaring that 'you don't have that right,' but they too are most incorrect!
Because YOU think that you don't have the right, and because your politicians WANT you to keep thinking that way, they will repeat the lie endlessly.
The facts are just these: Since YOUR nation's constitution arrives from the British Monarchy's power, and because that selfsame Monarchy's power derives from Magna Carta, and because said Magna Carta PROTECTS the rights of all British Subjects, and Australians by extension, then YOU have THE RIGHT to keep and bear arms, fully protected by Magna Carta, and further by the English Bill of Rights of 1688.
Neither the U.K. Parliament, nor the Monarchy has ever sought to repeal that document. Therefore, that document applies FULLY in the nation of Australia, and remains in FULL FORCE.
If you won't make appeal to that, then you have only yourself to blame.
Reference:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/WillandMarS...
Dr Freud

UK

#97600 Jan 21, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, how do you figure that?
Most if not all Linux OS's are open source code (anyone can view it).
Ask Microsoft for a look at their source code, the answer will be no, if they bother answering you at all.
The 'founder' of Linux (Linus Benedict Torvalds) was given to remark that THAT particular iteration of Unix was the most effective expression of communism, because everybody contributed, but nobody benefited.
Brit Expat

Lunel, France

#97601 Jan 21, 2013
Just a thought!

It's almost certain from my experience, engaging with some Americans during my 82 years. They are completely USless without thier little guns.

The really appalling thing is thier insane gusto, wanting to export the insanity of the USA outside of thier borders.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#97602 Jan 21, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'founder' of Linux (Linus Benedict Torvalds) was given to remark that THAT particular iteration of Unix was the most effective expression of communism, because everybody contributed, but nobody benefited.
You're a crusty old scab.

--I'LL

Just bet you're using at the very least, a Linux inspired browser and most assuredly hiding behind a secure Linux server.

--STICK

To what you know best...

Sniffing your own gas.
Brit Expat

Lunel, France

#97604 Jan 21, 2013
Thanks "VET", for the reminder. Must take Rover to the vet tomorrow! Ta.
Dr Freud

UK

#97605 Jan 21, 2013
Dont wrote:
<quoted text>
blame him for the racists, talk radio, fox noise, teabaggers, gun nuts, birthers and the republicans who have targeted him. His problem during the first term is that he tried to compromise too much with people of bad faith.
"he tried to compromise too much with people of bad faith."

You mean, he —himself of bad faith— attempted to compromise on the principles of the American republic.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#97606 Jan 21, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is running the country of Egypt, you f-ing retard? That would be the Muslim Brotherhood. A radical TERRORIST organization. And who just agreed to give them 20 F-16 fighter jets? That would be OBAMA.
These are NOT talking points, idiot. These are FACTS. But I wouldn't expect you to know what those are, since you have yet to ever post one.
Now go crawl back under your rock you f-ing troll.
Blah, blah, blah, blah you are a sorry retarded parrot ...
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#97607 Jan 21, 2013
Brit Expat wrote:
Just a thought!
It's almost certain from my experience, engaging with some Americans during my 82 years. They are completely USless without thier little guns.
The really appalling thing is thier insane gusto, wanting to export the insanity of the USA outside of thier borders.
Old Troll
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#97608 Jan 21, 2013
Obama will become the Democrats' Reagan. The narrative writes itself. He will emerge as an iconic figure who struggled through a recession cleaning up the Bush mess and a terrorized world, reshaping the economy within it, passing universal health care, strafing the ranks of Al Qaeda, presiding over a civil-rights revolution, and surely will be enjoying the fruits of the recovery.
Dr Freud

UK

#97609 Jan 21, 2013
Brit Expat wrote:
Just a thought!
Many Brits see YOU in the VERY SAME light as you cast upon the Americans.
Dr Freud

UK

#97610 Jan 21, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Blah, blah, blah, blah you are a sorry retarded parrot ...
You didn't even both to address his points. Why not?
Dr Freud

UK

#97611 Jan 21, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
Obama will become the Democrats' Reagan. The narrative writes itself. He will emerge as an iconic figure who struggled through a recession cleaning up the Bush mess and a terrorized world, reshaping the economy within it, passing universal health care, strafing the ranks of Al Qaeda, presiding over a civil-rights revolution, and surely will be enjoying the fruits of the recovery.
Ya. He cries crocodile tears for the undead children of Sandy Hook, but has NO TEARS AT ALL for ALL of the CHILDREN his DRONES have MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD!
Oh, and by the way: Precisely WHAT is 'universal health care?'
WHO provides that, and HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Are doctors and nurses to be FORCED to provide that care, and WHO pays them for BEING FORCED to provide services AGAINST THEIR WILL?
Brit Expat

Lunel, France

#97612 Jan 21, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Brits see YOU in the VERY SAME light as you cast upon the Americans.
Ahhh Is that a fact? Are you an Englishman? With some pedigree, or a resident of Britain? There is a difference!
Dr Freud

UK

#97613 Jan 21, 2013
Brit Expat wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh Is that a fact? Are you an Englishman? With some pedigree, or a resident of Britain? There is a difference!
"Are you an Englishman?"

I find THAT question to be rather revealing, inasmuch as there are FOUR distinct nations in the U.K.:
[1] The Welsh
[2] The English
[3] The Scots
[4] The Northern Irish
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE in the isles who speaks ONLY of the English, is either an EXTREME racist, or a poseur.
Only YOU know for sure!
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#97614 Jan 21, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya. He cries crocodile tears for the undead children of Sandy Hook, but has NO TEARS AT ALL for ALL of the CHILDREN his DRONES have MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD!
Are doctors and nurses to be FORCED to provide that care, and WHO pays them for BEING FORCED to provide services AGAINST THEIR WILL?
LOL ... sour grapes!!
Dr Freud

UK

#97615 Jan 21, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... sour grapes!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tis... 2 min Dan 74
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min Taletha 336,683
News Indiana clears Planned Parenthood of wrongdoing... 4 min Dan 34
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min showmethemoney 171,806
News Planned Parenthood chief apologizes after video 12 min LeDuped 373
News Stressful times for low-polling Republicans who... 17 min LeDuped 13
News Clinton promotes urban agenda, pokes Bush 24 min Poon Tang Billy 4
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr An NFL Fan 190,177
News Donald Trump blasts John McCain over 'crazies' ... 5 hr Dead Moses 651
More from around the web