It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 4,576)

Showing posts 91,501 - 91,520 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

The RAT Catchers wrote:
"If you could build a better mosetrap the world is your oyster."

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Well since you like questions, riddle me this.
Why dont you go down to your local school Parents and Teacher meeting and explain to them why you want to have a gun culture.
Explain why the movies and video games are relavent.
Where any BOZO can have any gun he wants.
Do get back to me with the Parent and Teachers reply.
Perhaps you can organise a refferrendum on the matter. That would be fair.
It's none of the parents or teachers business if I want to own & use guns.
Not anyone here can have any gun they want, only criminals.
Movies & video games are irrelevant.
Referendums are like the rest of politics here, a joke.

Why don't you come up with something intelligent instead of garbage about parents & teachers, most of whom would probably pee their pants if you walked into a meeting & started asking them about guns?

Since: Dec 10

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns Give Peace A Chance
Martin Luther King, Gandhi and the Dalai Lama all agreed guns are necessary tools in the defense of a peaceful society and personal security.
http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/guns-gi...
More of your lying bullshit...nice link...so informative....thumbs up...
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's none of the parents or teachers business if I want to own & use guns.
Not anyone here can have any gun they want, only criminals.
Movies & video games are irrelevant.
Referendums are like the rest of politics here, a joke.
Why don't you come up with something intelligent instead of garbage about parents & teachers, most of whom would probably pee their pants if you walked into a meeting & started asking them about guns?
AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH! Just as I suspected. You have never been to a Parent and Teachers meeting. Trust me, I have. YOU would be peeing your pants after 3 seconds with your RANT about gun culture.
You could quote Wayne LaPisspantierre about video culture.
You could show them your HARMLESS gun if the law allowed it.

You are a pimple faced boy with no real knowledge of the world.

Sue me!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said I was happy. So, how could I be happier?
With? By? What difference does it make. You knew what I meant. I got my thought across to you.
You really get off on this don't you?
What difference does it make? I will tell you what the difference is. Those people were BY a madman WITH a gun. They were NOT killed BY the gun. Words have meanings. Use them properly and you won't be seen as such a dipshit.

And baby, if constantly trying to correct your ignorance is what got me off, I would be in a constant state of orgasm. But alas, it doesn't.

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
When the government says to you, JUMP! You'll say, how high.
Projecting again, I see.
deport fat losers

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH! Just as I suspected. You have never been to a Parent and Teachers meeting. Trust me, I have. YOU would be peeing your pants after 3 seconds with your RANT about gun culture.
You could quote Wayne LaPisspantierre about video culture.
You could show them your HARMLESS gun if the law allowed it.
You are a pimple faced boy with no real knowledge of the world.
Sue me!
So you moved to thailand to get away from tax and then said hmmm fck it, I spend all of my days sitting on the internet on an australian forum arguing about US gunlaws ....
I know its been said before but honestly.... get a life !

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
Ever notice how all these gunsuckers have got that Little Big Man syndrome - ha ha
its quite comic really . lol
Ever notice how these libtards can only come back with ad hominem attacks and sexual innuendos when they can't hold up their side of the argument??

Quite comical really.
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

deport fat losers wrote:
<quoted text>
So you moved to thailand to get away from tax and then said hmmm fck it, I spend all of my days sitting on the internet on an australian forum arguing about US gunlaws ....
I know its been said before but honestly.... get a life !
How is that working out for you. Paying tax and posting on here.
I know where I prefer to be.
Unless for some reason you can avoid the GST. I am pretty sure you dont pay income tax. That is what I have trouble with.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

<quoted text>
gosh you are such a suckhole addle - lamean ha ha ah -cough cough splutter
I see the respect I showed you here was misplaced:

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TI...

Nasty cough, BTW. Some Castor Oil, perhaps?

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

More arrogance from Yanks overiding warnings and telling the country to take it up with US Embassy.......just deserts for the yanks...too bad for the herritage listed reef...what a bunch of ignorant cocks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-21/strande...

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Oh, another shooting in the US, multiple guns found at the scene and a military type assault riffle that appears to have been used in the shooting by a fifteen year old boy who probably didn't have a record and had access to his fathers weapons...he must have been one of the kids taught to shoot when he was a nipper.......Law abiding kid goes postal....another law abider..not a crim, I bet maybe he is on medication though and that is the excuse the gun toting morons will use eh!....

Where is the NRA and their PR team....can't wait for their next release.....oh and sympathy.....bring it on.....Sometimes it just suck to be so right, there will be more.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-21/us-teen...
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

GoGoBar wrote:
Therefore, the significance of the few gun control measures found to be effective should not be overlooked. There is empirical support for some moderate gun controls. I favor a national "instant records check," which would screen for high-risk gun buyers similar to owner license and purchase permit systems, but without the delays and arbitrary administration which sometimes characterizes those controls. The system should cover nondealer transactions as well as dealer sales, and apply to rifles and shotguns, as well as handguns. Also, tighter licensing of gun dealers and increased enforcement of carry laws may be useful.
Gun control is a very minor, though not entirely irrelevant, part of the solution to the violence problem, just as guns are of only very minor significance as a cause of the problem. The U.S. has more violence than other nations for reasons unrelated to its extraordinarily high gun ownership. Fixating on guns seems to be, for many people, a fetish which allows them to ignore the more intransigent causes of American violence, including its dying cities, inequality, deteriorating family structure, and the all- pervasive economic and social consequences of a history of slavery and racism. And just as gun control serves this purpose for liberals, equally useless "get tough" proposals, like longer prison terms, mandatory sentencing, and more use of the death penalty serve the purpose for conservatives. All parties to the crime debate would do well to give more concentrated attention to more difficult, but far more relevant, issues like how to generate more good-paying jobs for the underclass which is at the heart of the violence problem
Are these estimates plausible? Could it really be true that Americans use guns for self-protection as often as 2.1 to 2.5 million times a year? The estimate may seem remarkable in comparison to expectations based on conventional wisdom, but it is not implausibly large in comparison to various gun-related phenomena. There are probably over 220 million guns in private hands in the U.S.,[57] implying that only about 1% of them are used for defensive purposes in any one year--not an impossibly high fraction. In a December 1993 Gallup survey, 49% of U.S. households reported owning a gun, and 31% of adults reported personally owning one.[58] These figures indicate that there are about 47.6 million households with a gun, with perhaps 93 million, or 49% of the adult U.S. population living in households with guns, and about 59.1 million adults personally owning a gun. Again, it hardly seems implausible that 3%(2.5 million/93 million) of the people with immediate access to a gun could have used one defensively in a given year.

Huge numbers of Americans not only have access to guns, but the overwhelming majority of gun owners, if one can believe their statements, are willing to use a gun defensively. In a December 1989 national survey, 78% of American gun owners stated that they would not only be willing to use a gun defensively in some way, but would be willing to shoot a burglar.[59] The percentage willing to use a gun defensively in some way, though not necessarily by shooting someone, would presumably be even higher than this.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

<quoted text>
a ha- so it was cheap gainsaying -i win again ha ha
- and hey I am at Fairbanks aerodrome - you gonna come pick me up - i have. come to confiscate your guns and give you a flower and some hooch to help you mellow out - tune up drop in and fade out maan .
You failed to follow directions...you'll be waiting a long time.

“I be me, and you are...”

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that like gun talk hit's like some rubber bullet deep...

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever notice how these libtards can only come back with ad hominem attacks and sexual innuendos when they can't hold up their side of the argument??
Quite comical really.
clutching at straws with one hand - cock - oops - I mean gun in the other hand -
your not a hero
your not a patriot
your not a protector of the peace
your not anything
except someone whose life is defined by your weapon
- weak as piss really
ha ha ah ha cough cough
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
He knows exactly what he is doing. He declared 3 times that it is time to have a MEANINGFUL discussion about guns.
He has succeeded.
"MEANINGFUL discussion about guns."

Meaning his way...my answer is NO!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
oh I was joking - it was a JOKE - i wouldnt be found dead in alaska - you lack humour and insight as all you gunsuckers do - Little Big Man syndrome - again - lol
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

<quoted text>
oh I was joking - it was a JOKE - i wouldnt be found dead in alaska - you lack humour and insight as all you gunsuckers do - Little Big Man syndrome - again - lol
I wasn't...but I knew you wouldn't show anyway.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't...but I knew you wouldn't show anyway.
I knew you wouldnt - so. I never got on the plane
- i am reclined here in bermuda with my latest young mistress - in my robe sipping a tom collins and watching the sun set on another perfect day in paradise - sucks to be you - you inconsequencial twat . ha ha ha

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,501 - 91,520 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the US News Forum right now

Search the US News Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Battle lines set in immigration debate 4 min raaj kala 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,073,279
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 16 min Cornelius Scudmister 144,994
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 18 min Brian_G 240,561
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 23 min Subduction Zone 112,019
Obama blamed for immigration influx 25 min Chicopee 143
FBI cyber expert is ex-discount furniture salesman 29 min Bob 3
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 50,854
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••