It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103296 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97429 Jan 20, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
When the government says to you, JUMP! You'll say, how high.
I'll say make me...you'll say when can I come down.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97430 Jan 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You said it better than me. The right to possess isn't regulated. The use is regulated by state law and local ordinance. I believe Marauder was eluding to the 14th amendment which is another discussion. The right to keep and bear arms was already a right in the state constitutions. Another discussion in an erroneous power grab by the supreme court.
Federal constitutional law is limited to regulation of commerce. There shouldn't be any federal laws pertaining to possession. Another court case down the road, I suppose.
"I believe Marauder was eluding to the 14th amendment..."

Yes, that is correct. The McDonald vs Chicago case incorporated the 2nd Amendment under the 14th Amendment. That puts the same restrictions against the States and local gov'ts that the federal gov't has under the 2nd Amendment.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97431 Jan 20, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
Ever notice how all these gunsuckers have got that Little Big Man syndrome - ha ha
its quite comic really . lol
That comment coming from "tiny" is even more comical.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97432 Jan 20, 2013
Coo wrote:
<quoted text>
koo, cookoo, cookoo
Said the "Sante Fe Spammer".
Patriot

Boulder, CO

#97433 Jan 20, 2013
50 State Open Carry Demonstration Feb. 8th; Getting Out The Word

On February 8th 2013, in accordance with state law and Our Second Amendment, there will be peaceful Open Carry demonstrations taking on the Capitol steps of all 50 states. In Michigan a team of volunteers is organizing the event, and this writer will be speaking in support of the Constitution, exercising his First Amendment Right to Free Speech in Defense of Our Second Amendment.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/01/50-state-...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#97435 Jan 20, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's correct...but the rights are the same. You can own a shotgun, a handgun or a so called "assault weapon" if you want to. It's the use that can be regulated...NOT the ownership.
Exactly. Although the so called assault rifles are banned in this state until someone disputes it in court. I don't see that happening any time soon. The majority of the people here are left wing and like the ban.

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97436 Jan 20, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
That comment coming from "tiny" is even more comical.
cheap gainsaying - i dont like it :-(
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97437 Jan 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Although the so called assault rifles are banned in this state until someone disputes it in court. I don't see that happening any time soon. The majority of the people here are left wing and like the ban.
Right...eventhough a law is passed...is unconsitutional...it will remain in effect until challenged or someone with "standing" files a case.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#97438 Jan 20, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
You simply cannot lay restrictions upon the exercise of rights, without sooner or later laying such egregious requirements upon the exercise as to make the right essentially null.
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Some states do require some gun training. Driving a car isn't considered a right, but a privilege and it is done on state property.
Thank you both for those explanations. Distinguishing between Rights and Privileges comes less naturally to perhaps most Australians like me, because Australia does not have a Bill of Rights as such. I guess all that leaves us with are privileges, any of which are potentially subject to intervention.

Pros & Cons of a Bill of Rights is another debate for another topic.

Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97439 Jan 20, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
cheap gainsaying - i dont like it :-(
Things happen in life all the time that we "don't like"...I guess you could say don't sling crap if you don't want crap slung back at you.
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#97440 Jan 20, 2013
Therefore, the significance of the few gun control measures found to be effective should not be overlooked. There is empirical support for some moderate gun controls. I favor a national "instant records check," which would screen for high-risk gun buyers similar to owner license and purchase permit systems, but without the delays and arbitrary administration which sometimes characterizes those controls. The system should cover nondealer transactions as well as dealer sales, and apply to rifles and shotguns, as well as handguns. Also, tighter licensing of gun dealers and increased enforcement of carry laws may be useful.

Gun control is a very minor, though not entirely irrelevant, part of the solution to the violence problem, just as guns are of only very minor significance as a cause of the problem. The U.S. has more violence than other nations for reasons unrelated to its extraordinarily high gun ownership. Fixating on guns seems to be, for many people, a fetish which allows them to ignore the more intransigent causes of American violence, including its dying cities, inequality, deteriorating family structure, and the all- pervasive economic and social consequences of a history of slavery and racism. And just as gun control serves this purpose for liberals, equally useless "get tough" proposals, like longer prison terms, mandatory sentencing, and more use of the death penalty serve the purpose for conservatives. All parties to the crime debate would do well to give more concentrated attention to more difficult, but far more relevant, issues like how to generate more good-paying jobs for the underclass which is at the heart of the violence problem
Sukresh

Hyderabad, India

#97441 Jan 20, 2013
aamar dhon khoob lomba aar mota. Aami tomar aar tomar maar SEX SLAVE hote chai, jato khushi, je bhave khushi aamake diye chodao. kutta chodan o dite paari. tomar maar dudu khete khete tomake chudbo aar tomaar dudu tipte tipte tomaar maar gud phatabo..

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#97442 Jan 20, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Thank you both for those explanations. Distinguishing between Rights and Privileges comes less naturally to perhaps most Australians like me, because Australia does not have a Bill of Rights as such. I guess all that leaves us with are privileges, any of which are potentially subject to intervention.
So in effect, the government we elect has dominion over us, deciding what rights we can and cannot have - therefore they are always subject to compromise or even extinction. In America, from what I have understood here, the government must respect a constitution which exists quite independent of the government. That system does appear to offer more security to the citizens - in that it provides a limit to government control.

Location hidden

#97443 Jan 20, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Things happen in life all the time that we "don't like"...I guess you could say don't sling crap if you don't want crap slung back at you.
a ha- so it was cheap gainsaying -i win again ha ha
- and hey I am at Fairbanks aerodrome - you gonna come pick me up - i have. come to confiscate your guns and give you a flower and some hooch to help you mellow out - tune up drop in and fade out maan .

Location hidden

#97444 Jan 20, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
gosh you are such a suckhole addle - lamean ha ha ah -cough cough splutter
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#97445 Jan 20, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
So in effect, the government we elect has dominion over us, deciding what rights we can and cannot have - therefore they are always subject to compromise or even extinction. In America, from what I have understood here, the government must respect a constitution which exists quite independent of the government. That system does appear to offer more security to the citizens - in that it provides a limit to government control.
In the USA the cityzens have the right not to vote. Half of the elligible voters exercise this right in elections. That is their privilage and they get the system where nothing happens.

In Australia 97% of voters are forced to vote, things change rapidly, and the society moves forward.

This is why Australia keeps ahead of the rest of the worlds citizens in getting a fair go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...
The RAT Catchers

Tempe, AZ

#97446 Jan 20, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
WHO CARES
Every single move that you make is being watched and noted in your ti pilon IMPOSTOR dossier.

That's the penalty for supporting, condoning and loving TOPIX PAID TROLLS, SPAMMERS, REAL AGITATORS and ANARCHISTs:

Anarchy Reigns on this forum and I LOVE IT
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TP...

NO ONE CARES ABOUT INSANE Sasquatch TOPIX PAID TROLLS, SPAMMERS, REAL AGITATORS and ANARCHISTs

GET LOST FUDDIHEAD IMPOSTOR YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE.

DO NOT EVER SHOW YOUR UGLY LUNATIC FILTHY DISGUSTING MalbarCACA IMPOSTOR MUG HERE AGAIN.

http://www.themelbourneclinic.com.au/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Embling_...

http://www.forensicare.vic.gov.au/default.asp...
The RAT Catchers

Tempe, AZ

#97447 Jan 20, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
CACA.
Nah, nah, CACAmouth, you have to pay the price.

Every single move that you make is being watched and noted in your ti pilon wonka Humpty Dumpty dossier.

That's the penalty for supporting, condoning and loving TOPIX PAID TROLLS, SPAMMERS, REAL AGITATORS and ANARCHISTs:

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TP ...

Log out - erase your pit latrine Hometown entry.
Unhide your location.
Log back in - never mask or hide your location again.

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#97448 Jan 20, 2013
The RAT Catchers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, nah, CACAmouth, you have to pay the price.
Every single move that you make is being watched and noted in your ti pilon wonka Humpty Dumpty dossier.
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TP ...
Log out - erase your pit latrine Hometown entry.
Unhide your location.
Log back in - never mask or hide your location again.
Where's your location? There are no ca ca mouths in Scottsdale.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#97450 Jan 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's your location? There are no ca ca mouths in Scottsdale.
Oh yes there is!! Proof up above.LOLROTF

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rahm Emanuel on Democratic problems: - You're n... 3 min UidiotRACEMAKEWOR... 6
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Jay 270,786
News Senate Intelligence Committee requests Trump ca... 15 min Christsharia sLaw 10
News How President Trump consumes - or does not cons... 22 min Christsharia sLaw 1
News Snubs and slights are part of the job in Trump'... 27 min Christsharia sLaw 2
News As White House defends Jared Kushner, experts q... 31 min Christsharia sLaw 8
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 37 min Into The Night 63,626
News Every GI Who Invaded Vietnam, Iraq, etc. Was a ... 2 hr davy 33
News Flynn invokes 5th Amendment, refuses to comply ... 2 hr WelbyMD 96
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Chicagoan by Birth 240,970
News James Comey fired as FBI director 4 hr Erl 3,057
More from around the web