It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Another

Huntsville, AL

#97207 Jan 19, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"a little different than waging war on you."
Isn't that next on the HNIC menu?
racist post. Goes with the gun territory
look

Paintsville, KY

#97208 Jan 19, 2013
creators son wrote:
<quoted text>Give every american an assult rifle, so you bloodthirsty satanic vampires can have your wish. you speak of the second ammendment as if it is a piece of holy writing. Your country is full of satanist, full of hate and immorality. Satan has decieved you. The example you set to the world is truly shameful. Hundreds of thousands of murders in the past decade, You swim in rivers of blood. Your father satan must be truly proud of you his children.
That's what I thought, your another question dodging gun control communist. You still haven't said why do YOU think there's such a big push on a type of gun that is used to commit less than 2% of gun murders...Just act like a grown-up and answer the question at hand. Another thing satan would be the one that wants good people to lay down their guns, God gave most people enough common sense to protect their loved ones and their rights. 2% just 2%...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#97209 Jan 19, 2013
look wrote:
<quoted text> That's what I thought, your another question dodging gun control communist. You still haven't said why do YOU think there's such a big push on a type of gun that is used to commit less than 2% of gun murders...Just act like a grown-up and answer the question at hand. Another thing satan would be the one that wants good people to lay down their guns, God gave most people enough common sense to protect their loved ones and their rights. 2% just 2%...
I agree what are a few dozen massacred children - it's nothing, just part of the self-righteous gun culture ...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#97210 Jan 19, 2013
Good Aussies wrote:
All ideology is played off itself like a hall of mirrors.
The goal for the individual is to smash all mirrors and discover his reflection without the use of mirrors.
In other words, do not let reflections and subterfuge dictate to you what is correct or right.
Only you know what is right.
If a murderous tribe tells you to lay down your weapons, while they take your men to build weapons for them, would you lay down your weapons?
You know the truth.
Huh?
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#97211 Jan 19, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? If you surrender one right, others follow.
How profound I bet you learned it in an NRA meeting, they do the thinking for you ...
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#97213 Jan 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree what are a few dozen massacred children - it's nothing, just part of the self-righteous gun culture ...
So, a few dozen children ...
Do agree with what happened at Waco, Texas, to the Branch Davidians?
YOUR government lied, and people died. Yet NOBODY, to this day, have ever been held to account.
Are YOU okay with that?
Guppy

Venice, FL

#97214 Jan 19, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
A clue for the clueless. The "wild wild west" wasn't. You watch too much TV.
And as far as the govt telling us what we can and cannot own........they just did, idiot. Or do you not follow current events??
I watch too much TV? I do?

Current events? I don't watch the news.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#97215 Jan 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
How profound I bet you learned it in an NRA meeting, they do the thinking for you ...
Without guns, how do you pretend to defend any other right, when you won't have the ability to defend any of them against government depredation?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#97216 Jan 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
in Connecticut it was the Ultra Liberls plan perpetrated against law abiding citizens and proof that all the Ultra Lefts Gun Control Laws are only in place to assist the criminals in society which Laws mean nothing to a criminal or somebody who has the intent to break the law.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#97217 Jan 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>Huh?
Intellectually shallow, are you?
Guppy

Venice, FL

#97218 Jan 19, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't do lines.
Are you talking about drugs? If so, why not?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#97219 Jan 19, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR government lied, and people died. Yet NOBODY, to this day, have ever been held to account.
Are YOU okay with that?
Spocko & the rest of the Ultra Left in the United States would be ok with that and shows their thinking which their thinking isnt logical at all.
Really

Huntsville, AL

#97220 Jan 19, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Are YOU okay with that?
now? Those people basically committed suicide by cop. They should have left the building.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#97221 Jan 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>Huh?
Here's How the Obama Administration Defended DEA Agents Who Put a Gun to a Little Girl's Head

"The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last week that the DEA’s use of force against the 11-year-old and 14-year-old daughters of Thomas and Rosalie Avina--which included putting a gun to the youngest girl's head--was “excessive,”“unreasonable,” and constituted “intentional infliction of emotional distress.”

Attorneys for the Obama administration defended the raid, and Reason has obtained the brief the DOJ filed to the Ninth Circuit. In it, the Obama administration argues that “the DEA agents’ conduct was plainly reasonable under the circumstances.”

After subduing their parents, agents broke into the two girls’ bedrooms during a wrong-door raid in January, 2007. The oldest of the two girls dropped to the floor and was handcuffed by agents before being dragged into the living room and laid next to her mom and dad. The 11-year-old, however, was sleeping when agents came into her room. As they began to shout at her to “get on the fucking ground,” the girl woke up and “froze in fear.” Agents then dragged her from her bed to the floor. One agent handcuffed her while another aimed a gun at her head. "
http://xrepublic.tv/node/1810

NAZI tactics are just okay by you, right?
Guppy

Venice, FL

#97222 Jan 19, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Are YOU okay with that?
Excuse the intrusion, but I am glad they killed those people in Waco. The parents of the kids should have gotten them out of the house when the fire started. Guess they wanted them to burn to death. A bunch of very sick people.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#97223 Jan 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>

That's all you hear from you brainless parrots. NRA, NRA. That would be rule #12 out of your Saul Alinsky book for radicals, but you're too simple to know it.
Guppy

Venice, FL

#97224 Jan 19, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
In Australia that is already the case.
The police can knock on a gun owner's door at any time and demand entry to inspect the adequacy, compliance and security of the owner's gun storage facilities.
That's different. If you are a gun owner, you should expect the police to show up to make sure everything is on the up and up. The police know that guns are bad news. They know the owners of the guns can at any minute become criminals.
right

Huntsville, AL

#97226 Jan 19, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
?
the president did this? How stupid can you be?

Those attracted to law enforcement profession often overreach,but the OJ is compelled to provide them with their legal defense. there were probably internal sanctions.
Guppy

Venice, FL

#97227 Jan 19, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Check this out AV, I sent it into the local paper.
For those of you who focus on murder rates, let me point out the total murder rate per 100,000 in England has been between 1.0 and 1.5 (1)since 1977. In 2011, the "total" murder rate was 1.35 per 100,000(2). So, no real change in the total number of people murdered. England has seen, however, crime like they never had, including an 89% rise in gun crime, noted in 2009.(3) This on an island that banned guns.
A recent letter writer pointed out that the "gun" murder rate in the UK was 0.04 in 2011. The writer seems to be using this statistic as a reason for "common sense gun controls" (not his quote). Yet, despite the gun ban in the UK, they still seem to have about the same number of people "murdered" each year. Apparently, if guns are not availabe, people are still able to "kill easily".
My question is this. If the same number of people are being murdered each year, and all the evidence (not your feelings) supports this, why do you "feel" better about murder if they are "not killed with a gun"? Please, I want to know. I do not understand that way of thinking. Help me to understand. See you on ACT Forums. You need a Facebook portal (after you friend 4+people).
(1) http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/li... page 37, homicide column
(2) http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/20/murd... 5th paragraph down, 13.5 per million
(3) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12231...
Jim, if you know, please pass that along to me. I really don't get it.
Pat O
I know the editor there, we went to the same liberal college. Jim is what I call an armed democrat, with just a little brainwashing (or not, he does need to keep a job in a liberal newspaper)
It is a question I really want an answer too.
I just cannot understand why anyone would have less concern about murdered people as long as they are not killed with a gun.
I am beginning to think it is the "gun". Just that liberals have a phobia to them that they got in school. Not that they are misused. We all know that happens. But these people just cannot see any use in them.
Is it genetic???
THAT is the strangest thing you have ever said.

I just cannot understand why anyone would have less concern about murdered people as long as they are not killed with a gun.

Where do you get this stuff?
That is

Huntsville, AL

#97228 Jan 19, 2013
DOJ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 1 min old_moose 143
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Joy 1,603,422
News Trump, the 'America First' president, goes to t... 1 min See The Light 479
News GOP health bill all but dead; McCain again deal... 3 min Sheriff Joe 529 100
News The news media love America. The government, no... 5 min FormerParatrooper 65
News Trump endorses boycott of NFL 5 min Red Crosse 80
News Politics Roundup: Trump's Call To Fire NFL Play... 6 min Retribution 40
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min Limbertwig 289,312
News Congressman to flood victims: 'God is telling y... 39 min See The Light 25
More from around the web