It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#97121 Jan 19, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a a matter of selective comprehension - anyone should understand that putting law-abidng citizens in the same category as criminals is just wrong.
Yes. The gun debate is riddled with selective comprehension on both sides, but this example belongs in a backside!:)

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#97122 Jan 19, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is disgusting.

A: but it is not disgusting to shoot children!

And we have idiots like Ahomana who run around peeing their pants at the mere mention of guns to thank for it

A: LOL....no that is what you would do, like most of you gun owning dicks if you ever had to defend yourself without the use of a gun in your hand....You rightfully should have been weeded out and sat on at birth but you found a way to protect your weak and pathetic existence for a while, till we remove your crutch...

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97123 Jan 19, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a a matter of selective comprehension - anyone should understand that putting law-abidng citizens in the same category as criminals is just wrong.
good grief madam your local district utilities will have you on the same database as any known or unknown criminals in your area ha ha ha -
MalbarCACA Controller

Luton, UK

#97124 Jan 19, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Stuff your imperious mockery up your Khyber, Tinydroppings!
You know damned well what is being discussed here.
Here we are talking about decent law-abiding citizens being placed on a database DEVOTED to the villains and dregs of society.
If you cannot grasp the incongruity of that then perhaps a new category should be added to that same database for thumping idiots and your name can head the list!
Hey you IMPOSTOR, who the fook do you think you are?

Go back to your Khyber Pass MalbarCACA homeland quick fast.

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#97125 Jan 19, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't own a gun but I know people who do and to think that they are placed on a database along with criminals is totally unacceptable.
Yeah we're looked upon by a large percentage of the public as criminals, even though we're not & they have nothing to fear from us.
It's a pretty pathetic attitude society has nowdays & it's not just limited to fear & hatred of gun owners, there's lots of things in society nowdays make me shake my head when I hear the way some people carry on, makes me wonder just what they are trying to achieve and what actually keeps their ears apart.

In some ways I can understand why Crimtrac has us all listed, for ease & speed for the police finding out info about someone.
If police pull a vehicle up, most times they do a check on the rego etc. & when this is done if the owner or driver holds a weapons license a 'flag' will be beside their name in the database, the operator then gives that info to the officer/s.

If they had a seperate database listing only weapons license holders it would most likely slow things down for the time needed to search one database for general stuff & another for weapons related stuff, having them all together in the one database means the info can be relayed to officer/s more efficiently.

Having said that though I still don't agree with it.

respect for anyone...

#97126 Jan 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you would be a typical whinging whining one....so the offer remains...take a hike you clueless complainer.
Might go out for a shot tonight :)

respect for anyone...

#97127 Jan 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns exclude, oppress and suppress personal freedom.
No they don't.
People like you do.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97128 Jan 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it is disgusting.
And we have idiots like Ahomana who run around peeing their pants at the mere mention of guns to thank for it
A: LOL....no that is what you would do, like most of you gun owning dicks if you ever had to defend yourself without the use of a gun in your hand....You rightfully should have been weeded out and sat on at birth but you found a way to protect your weak and pathetic existence for a while, till we remove your crutch...
"till we remove your crutch..."

Lol...or die trying...huh...?

Perth, Australia

#97129 Jan 19, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't.
People like you do.
Make up your melons...some idiot is saying I don't have the ability to alter the gun laws and here is you saying that this is what I am doing....WTF!

respect for anyone...

#97130 Jan 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
So that's what you really think, no surprises there.
Shooting children has nothing at all to do with listing law abiding citizens in the same database as hardened criminals.

Ahomana wrote:
At least I wasn't dropped on my head at birth, can't say the same for you.
I've defended myself quite a few times over the years, never once with a gun.

Perth, Australia

#97131 Jan 19, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
"till we remove your crutch..."
Lol...or die trying...huh...?
There will be no shoot out....it will happen slowly and deliberately, you won't even notice the change.It is hapening now....that is why I am not overly concerned....the Americans have had enough of the gun owning mentality that blocks all efforts to keep their kids safe, so there is absolute outrage at the lack of empathy and compassion of the NRA and their Nutty heads and supporters.....

respect for anyone...

#97132 Jan 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your melons...some idiot is saying I don't have the ability to alter the gun laws and here is you saying that this is what I am doing....WTF!
No idiot, I'm saying people like you do what you accuse gun owners of doing.
imagine

Huntsville, AL

#97133 Jan 19, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'BALL' has just begun to start rolling!
YOUR HNIC is about to be IMPEACHED!
Would you like a crying towel now?
that - the gun nut is also a racist...

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#97134 Jan 19, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
goodgrief madam you are on the IRS database - right alongside known and unknown criminals- such selfrighteous and fake outrage ha ha ha cough cough splutter
Why would I be on a US database for revenue when I live in Australia?
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97135 Jan 19, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not afraid of gun owners. If he was, he would not allow the Secret Service near him.
None of these gun grabbers are afraid of guns.
They hire people with guns to be near them all the time.
But we do interfere with thier plans.
The "Secret Service" would not be considered "gun owners"...they are gov't gun carriers. They are afraid of guns in the hands of the general public...those that they try to control. The ones they control that have guns are fine.

Perth, Australia

#97136 Jan 19, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So that's what you really think, no surprises there.
Shooting children has nothing at all to do with listing law abiding citizens in the same database as hardened criminals.
<quoted text>
At least I wasn't dropped on my head at birth, can't say the same for you.
I've defended myself quite a few times over the years, never once with a gun.
Of course it does, there would be no need for the crim list if the gun crime stopped. We have had an increase in bikies shootings lately...won't be long before they kill some inocent bystander or children...Some of the shootings have been in broad daylight in the in front of coffee shops etc...

The other thing is that when a cop pulls a guy over, the crim list is helpful in informing the cop what he could be up against just giving some guy a ticket on his way home.

And no prize for seconds, twit..
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#97137 Jan 19, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
We can work on several facets of the problem at once.
--AND
I would never ask another to surrender their ability to defend themselves or their family and have never stated otherwise.
The notion that anyone here who argues for responsible, reasonable measures to protect our children is somehow advocating a ridiculous appeal of our rights... is preposterous and clearly out of the playbooks of gun lobbyists.
Keep your handguns, riffles and shotguns...
--BUT
The assault weapons have to go.
There are zero credible and defensible arguments to be made for their continued distribution to the public.
"I would never ask another to surrender their ability to defend themselves or their family and have never stated otherwise."

You just did in this same post...here;

"--BUT
The assault weapons have to go.
There are zero credible and defensible arguments to be made for their continued distribution to the public."

That's just your opinion not based on facts. So were you lying...or just confused...?

Perth, Australia

#97138 Jan 19, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No idiot, I'm saying people like you do what you accuse gun owners of doing.
not possible...Big ears....it's all in your delusion minds.

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97139 Jan 19, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I be on a US database for revenue when I live in Australia?
LOL

respect for anyone...

#97140 Jan 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it does, there would be no need for the crim list if the gun crime stopped. We have had an increase in bikies shootings lately...won't be long before they kill some inocent bystander or children...Some of the shootings have been in broad daylight in the in front of coffee shops etc...
The other thing is that when a cop pulls a guy over, the crim list is helpful in informing the cop what he could be up against just giving some guy a ticket on his way home.
And no prize for seconds, twit..
No need for law abiding citizens to be put on the same list as crims either.
I reckon you'd know all about seconds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-Congressman Dennis Kucinich to launch bid fo... 2 min BHM5267 6
News Democrat Phil Murphy replacing GOP Gov. Chris C... 5 min BHM5267 11
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,682,004
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 10 min Heretic 37,746
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 12 min RW Media 51,950
News Oprah speech has Democrats buzzing about possib... 13 min NOOPHRA 526
News Booker slams DHS secretary's 'amnesia' on Trump... 14 min General Kabaka Oba 29
News Leaders say Trump presidency is at odds with ML... 1 hr NOOPHRA 116
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 9 hr RiccardoFire 2,583
More from around the web