It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

MalbarCACA Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#97079 Jan 18, 2013
ti pilon Fixers wrote:
<quoted text>
Eta ti pilon IMPOSTOR
Bousse to fesse senti pi MalbarCACA.
Hey Fixers have you noticed that The IMPOSTOR tried but kept getting sprung.

Whenever he gets owned under one nic THE IMPOSTOR retires it for a while and switch to another. No guts and no integrity.
MalbarCACA Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#97080 Jan 18, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>As a detective, you'd make a good bus windowlicker!
Simple Watson:

Log out - erase any Hometown entry.
Unhide your location.
Log back in - never mask or hide your location again.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#97081 Jan 18, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>.
Doesn't the number 68,000, if that's true, hit you a certain way. That number isn't coming from a few gun shops in Arizona.

A: Of course Arizona is only one of those people get their guns from, I posted a list of the most prominant states they are coming from...Texas California, Arizona etc....mostly from the border states.

I government that let guns walk across a foreign country's border without that government's knowledge is dirty.

A: Not dirty Teaman,the ATF did it with the best intentions....it
failed, some stings do fail...that is the way of stings.

Again, I don't own a gun

A: Therefore you shouldn't be offended when I say gun owning tits then....eh!
ti pilon Fixers

Mclean, VA

#97082 Jan 18, 2013
MalbarCACA Bashers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Fixers have you noticed that The IMPOSTOR tried but kept getting sprung.
Whenever he gets owned under one nic THE IMPOSTOR retires it for a while and switch to another. No guts and no integrity.
ROFLMAO!
MalbarCACA Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#97083 Jan 18, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in ye olden days of yore, castor oil was used in aircraft and automotive engines as the main lubricant.
Back then, aircraft engines were incredibly leaky, and the main reason pilots wore goggles was to keep the oil out of their eyes!
Of course, you just know that the reason most pilots ran from their airplanes was because of the laxative effect!
;-)
Hahaha The IMPOSTOR takes a dose of Castor oil every time he posts
MalbarCACA Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#97084 Jan 18, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns / Castor Oil. You're not joining the dots ... you just splutter them. lol!!
Hey you pet GOOSE petunia IMPOSTOR, get go take another dose of Castor oil.

ROFLMAO!

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#97085 Jan 18, 2013
Penguin wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps they are of interest but still they are none of our buisness in that an Australian has no say on the outcome of US laws. Whatever happens the decisions will be made by US law makers and politicians. Australia will have to active part in it at all.
This could rapidly descend into hair-splitting of definitions.

When as already indicated American leadership elites are actively seeking information on Australia's Firearm Laws that they might apply in their own jurisdictions then a cause & effect relationship is indeed being considered and could become adopted.

That in turn could precipitate a reciprocal relationship that may rebound on Australia's gun owners. It seems amazing that this even needs to be spelled out to anyone!
Penguin wrote:
There is no option for Australia to impose or to stop a ban. Its Americas business and they won't take any notice what do gooders in Australia think.
Those in the US with a vested interest to do so will be quick as lightning to "take notice what do gooders in Australia think"!! Vested interest trumps rationality every time. They might not necessarily succeed, but they will most certainly try, and the Australian scene will be listed among their pretexts.
Penguin wrote:
Lots of other nations are saying their laws could be used in the USA. It seems to be a common thing for a country to claim its own laws will work in the USA.
I would have to take your word on that. I have encountered no examples. Perhaps they should adopt Norway's laws ... that seemed to work a treat!
MalbarCACA Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#97086 Jan 18, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
When as already indicated American leadership elites are actively seeking information on Australia's Firearm Laws that they might apply in their own jurisdictions then a cause & effect relationship is indeed being considered and could become adopted.
That in turn could precipitate a reciprocal relationship that may rebound on Australia's gun owners. It seems amazing that this even needs to be spelled out to anyone!
<quoted text>
Those in the US with a vested interest to do so will be quick as lightning to "take notice what do gooders in Australia think"!! Vested interest trumps rationality every time. They might not necessarily succeed, but they will most certainly try, and the Australian scene will be listed among their pretexts.
<quoted text>
I would have to take your word on that. I have encountered no examples. Perhaps they should adopt Norway's laws ... that seemed to work a treat!
What's the difference in cause and effect when you take Castor Oil instead of Chocloate Eclairs laxatives, IMPOSTOR?

Australia

#97087 Jan 18, 2013
ti pilon Fixers wrote:
ROFLMAO!
MalbarCACA Bashers wrote:
Hahaha The IMPOSTOR takes a dose of Castor oil every time he posts
http://tinyurl.com/b4nzzvq

implode
Penguin

Perth, Australia

#97088 Jan 18, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The simple fact remains that no Australian can not go to the USA an impose any law on them. Australia is not directly involved in the process at all. Therefore it is none of our business.
I doubt anyone from Washington will ever call Ahomona and ask her to chair a senate committee about gun laws.
Australians seems to have developed this inflated ego where they think they can point fingers and look down their nose at everyone.

As for Australia... its a f*cking stupid place that already has cracks. Oneday its just going to crack apart. There are more than enough problems here than worrying about USA. Australias leftist governments that enforce their leftwing agenda on people with nazi style propaganda and tactics just want everyone gunless and helpless.

Australia

#97089 Jan 18, 2013
Penguin wrote:
<quoted text>
The simple fact remains that no Australian can not go to the USA an impose any law on them. Australia is not directly involved in the process at all. Therefore it is none of our business.
I would not suggest that Australia could take an active part in shaping America's gun laws. But I can see how a passive role (that I have described) could come about, and from there the potential to become engaged in a proverbial "race to the bottom", over time each country trying to outdo the other in restricting its respective gun owners.

I wholeheartedly agree with other sentiments you express.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#97090 Jan 18, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
With respect that is not correct. In fact when it comes to guns, if one of our countries sneezes the other catches cold. There has been plenty on TV lately about how US authorities are seeking to learn more about aspects of Australian Firearm legislation that they can introduce there.
Conversely no sooner had the Connecticut massacre hit the air waves than we had our usual suspects from Gun Control Australia chimping-out at any TV camera crew they could accost, demanding severe tightening up of Australian gun laws which are already very stringent ...(but they rely on the public to not know that).
We even had the spectacle of a junior MP spouting out on camera that we need a National Firearms Database. We already have that!! So to add insult to injury we also have bone-headed ignorance peddled publicly as fact by people who should know better (or are lying).
Australia has a national database called "CrimTrac" (savor the name for a moment ...'CrimmmmTrac'! Sounds luscious, doesn't it!)
http://tinyurl.com/ajseyhq
http://tinyurl.com/aphe7jn
http://tinyurl.com/b9agx32
Want to know what arch villains are recorded on CrimTrack?
Embezzlers
Murderers
Peadophiles
Rapists ...
... oh, and law abiding gun owners ... anyone who owns a registered firearm.
Most legitimate gun owners do not even realize they are on such a database, and when told are not impressed about the slur upon them that its name carries.
Says it all about the government's contempt for and discrimination against an element of our population that it just doesn't like, doesn't it.
Every time there is an event in America like Connecticut there is a predictable call here for increased persecution of Australia's already beleaguered gun owners.
So for you to proclaim:
"USA gun laws are none of Australians business"
you are failing to acknowledge a reality. Australians are headed the right way to lose ALL their guns because of events elsewhere, including in America. Those remote events are always seized upon as a pretext by Australia's Gun Grabbers.
From that standpoint American gun laws are very much our business!
How disgusting that law abiding gun owners are placed on such a database - that is unacceptable - I'm beginning to understand the 'gun debate' from the view point of gun owners.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#97091 Jan 18, 2013
Penguin wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt anyone from Washington will ever call Ahomona and ask her to chair a senate committee about gun laws.
Australians seems to have developed this inflated ego where they think they can point fingers and look down their nose at everyone.
As for Australia... its a f*cking stupid place that already has cracks. Oneday its just going to crack apart. There are more than enough problems here than worrying about USA. Australias leftist governments that enforce their leftwing agenda on people with nazi style propaganda and tactics just want everyone gunless and helpless.
Yes, we need to concentrate on our own issues and in any case, insulting Americans about their gun laws or their opinions on gun laws is not right - it's just bad manners and achieves nothing.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#97092 Jan 18, 2013
Penguin wrote:
<quoted text>.

A:Our goverment has already made there sentiments clear on America and their overuse of guns that lead to Sandy Hook and recomended they should take a leaf out of our book, we are only too willing to help.

A: I helped get the gun control in this coutry as I did everything within my power...signing petitions and writing to MPs to ensure it came about and then my government pass that on to countries wishing to implement our success story....

A: Oh and America doesn't...STFU!
]
As for Australia... its a f*cking stupid place that already has cracks. Oneday its just going to crack apart. There are more than enough problems here than worrying about USA. Australias leftist governments that enforce their leftwing agenda on people with nazi style propaganda and tactics just want everyone gunless and helpless

A: it's called freedom sunshine, and you have enough of it to migrate to a country you find more acceptable...I recomend Saudi Arabia.....onyer bike sunshine, don't let the door hit you!...that will be two whiners out of the way...what is stopping you? Here, give me your address and I will help you pack!
Penguin

Perth, Australia

#97093 Jan 18, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not suggest that Australia could take an active part in shaping America's gun laws. But I can see how a passive role (that I have described) could come about, and from there the potential to become engaged in a proverbial "race to the bottom", over time each country trying to outdo the other in restricting its respective gun owners.
I wholeheartedly agree with other sentiments you express.
I guess whatever happens will happen.
Australia will follow whatever USA does.
But it seems that USA will only ban assault rifles anyway, so Australia cant follow that because we dont have them anyway.
Hopefully they wont go any further.

Australia

#97094 Jan 18, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
How disgusting that law abiding gun owners are placed on such a database - that is unacceptable - I'm beginning to understand the 'gun debate' from the view point of gun owners.
It's an outrageous insult to a section of the population who in their whole lives have had no blemish against their names and have already passed a detailed background check to even get a firearm licence, let alone a gun.

Where is the respect and reward for being a good citizen?
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#97095 Jan 18, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we need to concentrate on our own issues and in any case, insulting Americans about their gun laws or their opinions on gun laws is not right - it's just bad manners and achieves nothing.
Someone has to rescue them from Rupert.
The poor things are helpless.
MalbarCACA Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#97096 Jan 18, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
no no no no no no you is very very confused

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#97097 Jan 18, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are not happy here....buy a plane ticket to the US....with you lack of grey matter you will fit right in with the gun owning looneys over there.....Oyer bike sunshine.
I don't think so.
I'm quite happy with how I live, I can use my guns anytime I want & you can't do anything about it.
One of the major problems with this country nowdays is the growing percentage of clueless idiots who are consistently sticking their beaks in where they're neither needed nor wanted, just like you do.
Penguin

Perth, Australia

#97098 Jan 18, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A:Our goverment has already made there sentiments clear on America and their overuse of guns that lead to Sandy Hook and recomended they should take a leaf out of our book, we are only too willing to help.
A: I helped get the gun control in this coutry as I did everything within my power...signing petitions and writing to MPs to ensure it came about and then my government pass that on to countries wishing to implement our success story....
A: Oh and America doesn't...STFU!
]
As for Australia... its a f*cking stupid place that already has cracks. Oneday its just going to crack apart. There are more than enough problems here than worrying about USA. Australias leftist governments that enforce their leftwing agenda on people with nazi style propaganda and tactics just want everyone gunless and helpless
A: it's called freedom sunshine, and you have enough of it to migrate to a country you find more acceptable...I recomend Saudi Arabia.....onyer bike sunshine, don't let the door hit you!...that will be two whiners out of the way...what is stopping you? Here, give me your address and I will help you pack!
Someone like you really needs to be investigated that you have time to go and do all this anti gun crap, but also claim welfare. Its criminal that this country can let this happen.

Australian sentiments,(well the sentiments of leftwing minority nutcases like you that are the only ones that seem to have a voice anymore) are not law. They have no bearing on anything.

I really dont believe your story about writing to mps....
The gun laws were passed very fast in 1996, there was almost no public consultation.
Your just dreaming that you have some kind of power. It was all down to John Howard forcing the states to agree.
Your just a plain liar.
You would have been too busy laying around on your fat backside living off centrelink and watching the mid day movie.
And why should I move ?
I have a career, I pay tax, I have a great family. I contribute to alot of things around me.

What do you do..... whinge on the internet and claim welfare, drain our health system, create more fat kids that will grow up like you. Its you that should go, nobody would miss a fat centrelink thief. It would be funny to see you live in a country where you had to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Demoscum 286,142
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min ImPeach 25,142
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min BlueFlag 1,579,887
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 3 min Katrina 1,179
News Obama's response to Charlottesville becomes mos... 6 min spud 43
News The Military Coup Against Donald Trump of 2018,... 7 min Ms Sassy 18
News Report: Higher premiums if Trump halts 'Obamaca... 11 min SirPrize 45
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 33 min barry 8,369
More from around the web