It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Venice, FL

#96928 Jan 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
OK...did he die of a ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke. How could a cork fired from a toy gun cause a clot to cut of the flow of blood in an artery to the brain?? How could a cork cause an artery in the head to burst?? Please explain this, oh wise one.
I could explain everything, but you wouldn't understand.

It happened, didn't it? The guy is dead. If it wasn't/weren't for the gun.......oh well.......

Imagine that. Even toy guns kill. They are killing machines.

My~My.
Guppy

Venice, FL

#96930 Jan 18, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, but you keep dropping that small brain in the toilet.
Perhaps you should do some kegel exercises.
Clara Barton~Kegel exercises really don't work.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#96931 Jan 18, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Look in the mirror.
Assuming you have a reflection.
LMAO! Good one!

Southeast Virginia

#96932 Jan 18, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
AND so are you.
Whatever you say, PeeWee.

Southeast Virginia

#96933 Jan 18, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I could explain everything, but you wouldn't understand.
It happened, didn't it? The guy is dead. If it wasn't/weren't for the gun.......oh well.......
Imagine that. Even toy guns kill. They are killing machines.
My~My.
Darlin', I come from a family full of relatives in the medical field (An LNP, an RN, an EMT, etc.). Try me.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#96934 Jan 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
They really were quite simple questions. And your dodging and deflecting from them SPEAKS VOLUMES!
I will ask them again. What branchwere you in? What was your rate/MOS??? Where did you serve? And when?
And how exactly have I violated my oath??
I've discussed my term of service with participants on this thread several times in the last few years.

Never once wearing it upon my sleeve or using it as a crutch to support an argument, nor a shield as protection for the lack thereof.

Like you

If you spent half the time reading this thread as you have prancing around the hen house with your ass sticking out... You'd know the answers.

Digg it yourself.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#96935 Jan 18, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
It happens to the best and worst of us.
If you do it again, though, your credibility will take a hit ;-))
And you being able to admit when you make a foo pah just bumped your cred with me.(I may forget again in the future, so I am apologizing forward).
Yeah well,

If I can't laugh at myself...

I can't have nearly as much fun, laughing at some of you.

Southeast Virginia

#96937 Jan 18, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
I've discussed my term of service with participants on this thread several times in the last few years.
Never once wearing it upon my sleeve or using it as a crutch to support an argument, nor a shield as protection for the lack thereof.
Like you
If you spent half the time reading this thread as you have prancing around the hen house with your ass sticking out... You'd know the answers.
Digg it yourself.
For the last few years huh? So you like to post under other aliases also, since this one was just started on Dec 10th? How about just answering the questions you lying POS??

The rest of your post is ignored for the BS it is.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#96938 Jan 18, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Social issues threaten us all regardless of our position in life.
We can work on several facets of the problem at once.

--AND

I would never ask another to surrender their ability to defend themselves or their family and have never stated otherwise.

The notion that anyone here who argues for responsible, reasonable measures to protect our children is somehow advocating a ridiculous appeal of our rights... is preposterous and clearly out of the playbooks of gun lobbyists.

Keep your handguns, riffles and shotguns...

--BUT

The assault weapons have to go.

There are zero credible and defensible arguments to be made for their continued distribution to the public.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#96940 Jan 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
For the last few years huh? So you like to post under other aliases also, since this one was just started on Dec 10th? How about just answering the questions you lying POS??
The rest of your post is ignored for the BS it is.
December 10 2010...Shit4Brains

Dates have an odd habit of repeating themselves every year.

Stop masturbating

--AND

READ

You may learn something.

Southeast Virginia

#96941 Jan 18, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
December 10 2010...Shit4Brains
Dates have an odd habit of repeating themselves every year.
Stop masturbating
--AND
READ
You may learn something.
I will concede the date. Now why not just answer the questions???

And you still have not stated how I have violated my oath. Why is that???

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#96942 Jan 18, 2013
Day-um but there are a peepot load of cretan libs on here. Ain't none of 'em got sense enough to pour pizz out of a boot. They all seem to be prime candidates for the Darwin Award.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#96943 Jan 18, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you
Digg it yourself.
Translation: I've been a paid liberal troll posting for some time now.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#96944 Jan 18, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Translation: I've been a paid liberal troll posting for some time now.
A truer statement has seldom been spoken!
The number of sock puppets on TOPIX is simply astounding.
Yep

Huntsville, AL

#96945 Jan 18, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
A truer statement has seldom been spoken!
The number of sock puppets on TOPIX is simply astounding.
it is a regular right-wing gun nut circle jerk.

Southeast Virginia

#96946 Jan 18, 2013
"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

"Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a
potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

The moral of this story: the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced."

Southeast Virginia

#96947 Jan 18, 2013
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
it is a regular right-wing gun nut circle jerk.
And you are the pivot man.

Southeast Virginia

#96948 Jan 18, 2013
"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a
potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

The moral of this story: the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#96949 Jan 18, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
14 percent of homicides in Finland are gun-related. In the United States, nearly 67 percent of murders reported to police are committed with a firearm. That blows your lame argument out of the water don’t let the NRA do the thinking for you!!!
I don't believe Finland has a Detroit, Chicago, et al. The people shooting each other have guns illegally.
Naah

Huntsville, AL

#96950 Jan 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are the pivot man.
it's your party

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min NotSoDivineMsM 1,508,519
Gay Skype !! 4 min Timharding4 80
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min District 1 239,392
News Paul Ryan accepts it's over: Obamacare is 'law ... 7 min One Womyn Riot 8
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Pete 261,871
News Young Americans: Most see Trump as illegitimate... 7 min Trump your President 669
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min THE LONE WORKER 220,613
More from around the web