It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95782 Jan 13, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
A gun makes it easier to become a criminal?!?!?
You just won the award for the dumbest post of the day. Congrats!
YOU could just as easily grab a kitchen knife and go on a stabbing spree around your trailer park.
I could? I don't think I will EVER go on a stabbing spree around my trailer park. I don't want my name in the paper.

Thanks for the award. It means a lot to me.

Were you in Vietnam? Is that why you are angry?
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95783 Jan 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I read somewhere, though I might be out by one war, that they have never won a war. The Civil War can hardly be considered a win, as it killed more men than anyother war the USA has been in.
Some will say, and possibly rightly so, that WWI and WWII might have gone the other way had the USA not come into the game late both times, but I guess we will never know that since they did enter the wars.
There was one small attempt to attack Canada by some renegade Civil War veterans, after the Civil War when a bunch of them came across the border near here and tried to start something, but they were quickly stopped. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids
Actually I see glancing at that article that there were several places in Canada that they tried to take over. Seems it was more to do with trying to get Britain out of Ireland.
Sour Grapes? You are misinformed. We Win Every War We Choose To Be A Part Of.
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95784 Jan 13, 2013
T-man from Mt. Holly sounds like a lawyer.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#95785 Jan 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obsessed with the Americans. I have a feeling you would love to live here.
God Bless America...
Oh mmmmm!....I am obsessed with any country mainly any like America(and there is only one today), who for all intents and purpose appears to be free and democratic one, yet are actively working against those very ideals.....It is facinating to see the ongoing hypocrissy they spew forth for a free world when they are bigger oppressors of people rights and freedoms on a world scale than any other country in the world. I think that will be America's epitaph....the hypocritical and most hated country of it's day....because of the death and destruction it has cause world wide...and the joke is that they are of such a selfish and naive disposition, they will be the cause of their own downfall, following in the footsteps of those other long dead super powers.
It is facinating to watch it unfolding and seeing them not being in a position to stop it....They are failing to learn by past history....So sad too bad.
Ahomona Is Scum

Columbus, OH

#95786 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had much critisism for attacking dumb arse yankees....I have come to the conclusion that they and you are idiots...this comment puts you right up the top with the best of them....and some ignorant so called Aussies....learn to critically think...it could be the difference between looking insane like you or a brilliant mind like me....dummy....
You deserve critisism because its none of your business. What do you think you can achieve by cutting and pasting other peoples work onto a forum ? Nobody cares what you think. Someone like you who has no job and sucks up tax dollars because your too lazy to get a job yet can afford to spend all day on the internet arguing about something you clearly know nothing about would never be taken seriously anywhere.

Welfare dependant scum bags like you should be sent to Africa so you can see how people are treated in the real world.
Your just lucky that you live in a country run by leftist bleeding hearts. A lot of people out there would love to see you thrown out on the street. If there was a poll of tax payers to decide if fat single mothers like you should get money for nothing Im sure you would see a huge majority in favour of kicking your fat arse off welfare.
Its really unfortunate that fat scum has kids. You are just lowering the human race, in the natural world people like you would and should just be left to starve. Forced steralisation would be a solution to bogans like you. The world does not need genes like yours passed on.

Perth, Australia

#95787 Jan 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I read somewhere, though I might be out by one war, that they have never won a war. The Civil War can hardly be considered a win, as it killed more men than anyother war the USA has been in.
Some will say, and possibly rightly so, that WWI and WWII might have gone the other way had the USA not come into the game late both times, but I guess we will never know that since they did enter the wars.
There was one small attempt to attack Canada by some renegade Civil War veterans, after the Civil War when a bunch of them came across the border near here and tried to start something, but they were quickly stopped. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids
Actually I see glancing at that article that there were several places in Canada that they tried to take over. Seems it was more to do with trying to get Britain out of Ireland.
I find it extremely unfortunate that Canada and the British gave America back in 1812....imagine the benefits of having a huge country with Canada's Ideals?....I truly believe America would have been a much more civilised and likeable country with some class, had that been the outcome, methinks.

Perth, Australia

#95788 Jan 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You think you are brilliant? No one else does.
No one else has to!

Perth, Australia

#95789 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Had the 'yanks' decided to make a REAL case of the matter, then by the time the British had time to send sufficient troops across the big pond, the war would have LONG been over.
http://www.warof1812.ca/kingstonharbour1812.h...
There you go again.....the old yankee addage that you could have won IF, or there are WMD's in Irag you just havent found them yet!....You are pathetic ungrateful and sore losers!

You lost and by all intents and purpose the winners are why you have America today, not because of anything you did, but by their generosity...The first country you declared war on and they kicked your arse, way to go....losers.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#95790 Jan 13, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder... what wonderfully warm solace, your callous analysis of cause and effect must give to the families of the 20 children and 6 adults, slaughtered at Sandy Hook elementary school.
Each... Shot multiple times.
In short order...
--AND
Rapid succession.
--FOR
God only knows, one bullet isn't enough for the tiny skull of a 6 year old child.
Sickening
It would give none whatsoever and nor would I intend it to - I am saying a gun does not create a criminal - yes, it certainly makes it easier for a criminal intent to manifest as in a mass-murder.

Perth, Australia

#95791 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomona Is Scum wrote:
<quoted text>
You deserve critisism because its none of your business. What do you think you can achieve by cutting and pasting other peoples work onto a forum ? Nobody cares what you think. Someone like you who has no job and sucks up tax dollars because your too lazy to get a job yet can afford to spend all day on the internet arguing about something you clearly know nothing about would never be taken seriously anywhere.
Welfare dependant scum bags like you should be sent to Africa so you can see how people are treated in the real world.
Your just lucky that you live in a country run by leftist bleeding hearts. A lot of people out there would love to see you thrown out on the street. If there was a poll of tax payers to decide if fat single mothers like you should get money for nothing Im sure you would see a huge majority in favour of kicking your fat arse off welfare.
Its really unfortunate that fat scum has kids. You are just lowering the human race, in the natural world people like you would and should just be left to starve. Forced steralisation would be a solution to bogans like you. The world does not need genes like yours passed on.
Oh...that is a big post for you troll....what next pics!
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95792 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No one else has to!
Yeah, because YOU are a 'legend' in your own mind.

Perth, Australia

#95793 Jan 13, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Opps another DODGE DUCK DODGE. I love it when you admit defeat.
How would you ever know!

Perth, Australia

#95794 Jan 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop playing games, I'm still in Norristown. Seems to be a problem with Topix. Does it matter?
Gottalie, you are not truth worthy . People have caught you in a few lies, and you tried to weasel your way out of them. No one bought your excuses.
I have an agenda? What is it? Let's see if you can answer a direct question. I'll be waiting.
Well it is only ever the trolls that complain about Topix changing their location......It hasn't happened to me once in all the time I have been here....methinks you protest too much...

Perth, Australia

#95795 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, because YOU are a 'legend' in your own mind.
I know I have been told that I am a Legend often on this site....I don't like to boast, I will leave the worship thing up to those who aspire to be me....I am all about education and information....but do go on.....I like the attention.....
Walter Harold Marlin

Mount Holly, NJ

#95796 Jan 13, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's done now. The woman who bought the rifle for the ex-con who shot the fire fighters in NY is in jail and looking at 10 years in prison. The problem arises when these purchasers report their gun stolen. How would you overcome that?
How long did this man have the guns before he used them?

If you make laws to strict people feel violated.

GPS trackers could be put on guns which could or would disengage the weapons ability to fire unless there is an electrical charge on the gun. So how far do we go. An annual gun registration would not be so intrusive. As long as the weapon is not in the wrong hands.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95798 Jan 13, 2013
Walter Harold Marlin wrote:
<quoted text>
GPS trackers could be put on guns which could or would disengage the weapons ability to fire unless there is an electrical charge on the gun. So how far do we go. An annual gun registration would not be so intrusive. As long as the weapon is not in the wrong hands.
"GPS trackers could be put on guns which could or would disengage the weapons ability to fire unless there is an electrical charge on the gun."

So, if YOUR government wanted to MURDER everyone with a gun, guess what?
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95799 Jan 13, 2013
Walter Harold Marlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Either Comcast or Topix had me switched through Columbus for a while, but if you're in NJ you will be happy to know the state is subsidizing the research and development of smart guns. Whether that's feasible or not is anyone's guess.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95800 Jan 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, that was an Irish thing.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95801 Jan 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
T-man from Mt. Holly sounds like a lawyer.
In Savannah now?
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95802 Jan 13, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
In Savannah now?
Midnight in the garden of good and evil.

I wish.

Well? Are you a lawyer?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Bear Claw 87,659
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min June VanDerMark 345,998
News California to defend immigration laws against T... 3 min davy 3
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,781,077
News Democrats beg Obama to take stronger lead in mi... 4 min davy 154
News Supreme Court sides with Colorado baker on same... 4 min Messenger of Love 308
News US top court rules for baker in gay wedding cak... 6 min Straight Shooter 697
News Melania Trump says US should govern - with hear... 11 min whiney beech 281
News Trump's land of delusion 25 min whiney beech 731
News Trump digs in on immigration despite outrage 2 hr Clinton likes Farts 82