It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103321 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95766 Jan 13, 2013
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put your finger in a fishbowel of Guppies, they will nibble away at the skin on your finger and if you leave you finger there long enough, they can finally draw blood.
I think the name was well chosen by the Guppy proxy user. But I also think the 'Guppy' name has now been hijacked by another proxy user. And so it goes, around and around until you don't know who you're responding to at all.
And that's exactly how the Oz Forum has been destroyed, and what they are now trying to do to this thread.
Stupid dumb games played by stupid dumb people - but also played by 'cunning' people with certain agendas.
So is it even worth responding to any un-registered poster anymore?
And they've even resorted to hijacking some registered posters avatars and names, with only a very slight modification of the name (at first casual glance, usually not noticable).
So is it even worth logging on to topix, anymore?
I'll miss you...

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#95767 Jan 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of interesting considering the current discussions in the USA, and many high level people advocating restricting the gun laws, that you think it is just my opinion. How many women who are jumped by a man who drags her into an alley, or comes into her home and surprises her to rape her is going to get a time out to go into her purse, pocket, bedroom drawer, under her pillow, or wherever she has her gun stashed to shoot the guy, and how likely if she gets the gun out at all, is she to walk away from that rape alive?
Since when have Canadians been laboring under the Crown? You people went to all that trouble and blood shed, including getting badly beaten again in the War of 1812 by British and Canadians, and we are a free country and you had to sacrifice lives to get free.
Do you people REALLY believe that Canadians do what the Queen tells us to do. Personally I don't even know what the Queen's opinions are on any subject, and even if she did express them I am not interested in listening to her. Kind of think she is an expensive luxury that should have been disbanded long ago, but the British (acording to friends who came from there) seem to think she is a good tourist attraction.
The yanks conveniently ignore the war of 1812, they still live with the delusion that they win every war!
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95768 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had much critisism for attacking dumb arse yankees....I have come to the conclusion that they and you are idiots...this comment puts you right up the top with the best of them....and some ignorant so called Aussies....learn to critically think...it could be the difference between looking insane like you or a brilliant mind like me....dummy....
You think you are brilliant? No one else does.
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95769 Jan 13, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you respond to all posters unless and until their replies become meaningless and vile - then you stop - there are still a good many decent posters on Topix, registered and unregistered. Overall I think it is still a good forum for discussion - you just have to bypass the 'nasties':)
Why are you responding to Gottalie? She's nasty with a capital N, AND she lies.

You are a good judge of character. Not.
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95770 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
The yanks conveniently ignore the war of 1812, they still live with the delusion that they win every war!
You are obsessed with the Americans. I have a feeling you would love to live here.

God Bless America...
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95771 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Had the 'yanks' decided to make a REAL case of the matter, then by the time the British had time to send sufficient troops across the big pond, the war would have LONG been over.
http://www.warof1812.ca/kingstonharbour1812.h...

Perth, Australia

#95772 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"That is the issue for me regarding the continued legality of assault weapons."
Those items are SECOND AMENDMENT DEFENSE weapons.
Don't like it? TOUGH!
More women and children are raped daily by men than are harmed by guns.
A: I try hard to ignore your comments for the shit that it is, but I cannot let you get away with your pathetic attempt at riding in on your rented white horse and championing anti rape when your words help add to the denegration of women......YOU ARE A FECKIN' JOKE.(sarcasm, for the yankee idiots)

WHERE IS YOUR OUTRAGE on THAT issue?

A: Where the feck is yours!

You have prove you are a mysoginistic hypocrite you verbally abuse and use derogatory remarks against women for fun, and now you dare to use the rape of them for your defence of guns....you are one sick bastard....

Oh, silly me: YOU COULDN'T CARE LESS about THAT!!

A: You are the one who have showed you could care less about the rape of women than most on this forum....so don't fecking speak for women.....you have shown you don't have the respect or the right...

Why not? Because YOU are a CHILD RAPIST!

A: Your attitude towards women is why men rape women, you help aid the rapists mentality.....you sleazy creep...
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95773 Jan 13, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it - I won't respond again to that particular poster - totally objectionable.
That's it ~ You really need to do something about your drug addiction. Totally objectionable. Spend a year in rehab and then come back, and I MIGHT talk to you. Bye.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95774 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me, should I happen to be wrong, but in the U.S., ONLY a judge is allowed to make that determination regarding fitness, when the person in question is deemed unfit.
You would be correct. Only a court order can deem an adult person unfit. I would be referring to an immediate clear danger circumstance in notifying some authority. Impossible situation, I admit. Long term denial, a court should make that determination.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#95775 Jan 13, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't use a sling and rock... You contemptuous moron.
It was a military style, assault weapon designed for tactical warfare.
--AND
It was purchased, owned and IRRESPONSIBLY cared for by one of your "responsible", "law abiding", "all-so-good" citizens.
What part of that particular concept are you having trouble with?
--MY GOD
You're a dysfunctional pea-brain.
Caught liar. The military does not buy semi-auto AR15's. No company makes an "assault weapon". No government or law enforcement agency lists their AR15's as an "assault weapon". Sense when is the victim of a crime the "irresponsible" one? Isn't that like saying women who wear short skirts are to blame for rape? The criminal used "A" weapon. Crimes are committed everyday yet only a small amount involve a gun yet you only dwell on guns. You are a liar and instigator. It would take a real idiot to buy your crap, and you are an idiot for thinking anyone here does.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#95776 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had much critisism for attacking dumb arse yankees....I have come to the conclusion that they and you are idiots...this comment puts you right up the top with the best of them....and some ignorant so called Aussies....learn to critically think...it could be the difference between looking insane like you or a brilliant mind like me....dummy....
Opps another DODGE DUCK DODGE. I love it when you admit defeat.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#95777 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
So, it's YOUR opinion that it's better to find a woman raped, and strangled with her own pantyhose, than it is to find her standing over her attacker with a smoking gun in her hands?
<quoted text>
WHO is the GOVERNOR GENERAL of CANADA?
http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx...
<quoted text>
YOU are NOT 'free.'
YOU are a SLAVE to the British Crown.
<quoted text>
So, YOU'RE in denial?
<quoted text>
CAREFUL! YOU could be ARRESTED for sedition!
<quoted text>
TREASON!! TREASON!! TREASON!!!
Actually currently I would have to look up who is the Governor General of Canada. I usually am not interested in them, though when we had a pretty woman formerly from China and another one who is Black formerly from the Caribbean as Governor General I thought they were nice to look at if they happened to be on tv.

Gee, I just looked up because I honestly didn't know who is the current governor, and it is David Johnston who started his career as a law professor at the university where my son got his doctor's degree. Interesting. Don't know anything about the gentleman but maybe sometime I will read up on him.

He doesn't affect my life in any way. I guess if I was to win an Order of Canada then he would be the one to hand it out and shake my hand, but that isn't likely to happen. My late uncle, who was a provincial government member for 16 or so years, was once nominated for that award, but he didn't get into the finals or whatever one does to get the award. People like Terry Fox and Wayne Gretzky get that kind of award, and the GG is the one who has the duty of performing the ceremonial function.
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95778 Jan 13, 2013
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
So the little proxy fish has come out of the closet eh? Did you get sick of Norristown PA, or was it because you were SPRUNG?
You ask questions, you are given answers which you refuse to accept... the problem is yours.
>
<quoted text>
There's a big difference between 'smart' and 'cunning'.
Proxy users are cunning and not trustworthy.
You have an agenda and you're playing it.
Stop playing games, I'm still in Norristown. Seems to be a problem with Topix. Does it matter?

Gottalie, you are not truth worthy . People have caught you in a few lies, and you tried to weasel your way out of them. No one bought your excuses.

I have an agenda? What is it? Let's see if you can answer a direct question. I'll be waiting.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95779 Jan 13, 2013
Walter Harold Marlin wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone knows that purchasing a gun for someone else is going to catch up to them legally that straw purchaser may not make the purchase.
That's done now. The woman who bought the rifle for the ex-con who shot the fire fighters in NY is in jail and looking at 10 years in prison. The problem arises when these purchasers report their gun stolen. How would you overcome that?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#95780 Jan 13, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I read somewhere, though I might be out by one war, that they have never won a war. The Civil War can hardly be considered a win, as it killed more men than anyother war the USA has been in.

Some will say, and possibly rightly so, that WWI and WWII might have gone the other way had the USA not come into the game late both times, but I guess we will never know that since they did enter the wars.

There was one small attempt to attack Canada by some renegade Civil War veterans, after the Civil War when a bunch of them came across the border near here and tried to start something, but they were quickly stopped. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids

Actually I see glancing at that article that there were several places in Canada that they tried to take over. Seems it was more to do with trying to get Britain out of Ireland.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#95781 Jan 13, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Caught liar. The military does not buy semi-auto AR15's. No company makes an "assault weapon". No government or law enforcement agency lists their AR15's as an "assault weapon". Sense when is the victim of a crime the "irresponsible" one? Isn't that like saying women who wear short skirts are to blame for rape? The criminal used "A" weapon. Crimes are committed everyday yet only a small amount involve a gun yet you only dwell on guns. You are a liar and instigator. It would take a real idiot to buy your crap, and you are an idiot for thinking anyone here does.
Liar?

Is that the only noun your scrambling, feeble little mind could come up with?

Stop endlessly playing with your narcissisticles...

--AND

Read the post again Nitwit.
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95782 Jan 13, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
A gun makes it easier to become a criminal?!?!?
You just won the award for the dumbest post of the day. Congrats!
YOU could just as easily grab a kitchen knife and go on a stabbing spree around your trailer park.
I could? I don't think I will EVER go on a stabbing spree around my trailer park. I don't want my name in the paper.

Thanks for the award. It means a lot to me.

Were you in Vietnam? Is that why you are angry?
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95783 Jan 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I read somewhere, though I might be out by one war, that they have never won a war. The Civil War can hardly be considered a win, as it killed more men than anyother war the USA has been in.
Some will say, and possibly rightly so, that WWI and WWII might have gone the other way had the USA not come into the game late both times, but I guess we will never know that since they did enter the wars.
There was one small attempt to attack Canada by some renegade Civil War veterans, after the Civil War when a bunch of them came across the border near here and tried to start something, but they were quickly stopped. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids
Actually I see glancing at that article that there were several places in Canada that they tried to take over. Seems it was more to do with trying to get Britain out of Ireland.
Sour Grapes? You are misinformed. We Win Every War We Choose To Be A Part Of.
Guppy

Savannah, GA

#95784 Jan 13, 2013
T-man from Mt. Holly sounds like a lawyer.

Perth, Australia

#95785 Jan 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obsessed with the Americans. I have a feeling you would love to live here.
God Bless America...
Oh mmmmm!....I am obsessed with any country mainly any like America(and there is only one today), who for all intents and purpose appears to be free and democratic one, yet are actively working against those very ideals.....It is facinating to see the ongoing hypocrissy they spew forth for a free world when they are bigger oppressors of people rights and freedoms on a world scale than any other country in the world. I think that will be America's epitaph....the hypocritical and most hated country of it's day....because of the death and destruction it has cause world wide...and the joke is that they are of such a selfish and naive disposition, they will be the cause of their own downfall, following in the footsteps of those other long dead super powers.
It is facinating to watch it unfolding and seeing them not being in a position to stop it....They are failing to learn by past history....So sad too bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min District 1 216,821
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min Agents of Corruption 388,156
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 4 min serfs up 321
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nuculur option 1,395,582
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Dogen 199,379
News Billionaire Soros giving $2M to Democratic groups (May '12) 6 min African Billionaire 15
News Nine Arrested At DAPA Protest 7 min Mikey 5
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 27 min Demonicrats 228,626
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 40 min Bert 1,167
News 50 dead in Florida nightclub shooting, worst in... 1 hr barefoot2626 1,362
More from around the web