It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103324 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#95720 Jan 13, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Had that weapon not been available to him it is your claim he would not have killed? How about a bomb? Let's say WalMart sold bombs and machine guns would he have chosen one of those instead of a semi auto rifle? See you limit this to guns showing your true intent of attacking gun owners instead of the criminal. Had the gun not been available a criminal just adapts a new weapon. Humans are very resourceful. We have created weapons for thousands of years and you demanding the banning of one would just spawn the creation of new and probably better ways to kill. Spend a little time in a war zone or prison and see the weapons created by those with no access to guns or very little resources. IMPROVISED weapons abound and even under lock and key and 24/7 guards, criminals still make weapons and still kill. Banning guns simply makes for easy victims.
He didn't use a sling and rock... You contemptuous moron.

It was a military style, assault weapon designed for tactical warfare.

--AND

It was purchased, owned and IRRESPONSIBLY cared for by one of your "responsible", "law abiding", "all-so-good" citizens.

What part of that particular concept are you having trouble with?

--MY GOD

You're a dysfunctional pea-brain.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#95721 Jan 13, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
Why is the USA the only high income democracy that needs armed guards at schools?
HAHAHAHAHAHA.
Because of gunnuts.
Other countries just have government killers take the children and slaughter them by the thousands and make sure the citizens are disarmed so they can't stand in the way. Why are you still comparing us to third world countries?
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95723 Jan 13, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> All governments are just one dictator away from being oppressive. Our government of the people is kept that way by the citizens having guns. Why would you fear a neighbor having a gun? When you owned a gun did it suddenly make you want to go kill people? I own many and have never had even one control my mental capacity.
Tray,
What you're dealing with, as regards that other poster, is that matter of 'projection.'
At any time when someone suggests that you might employ your guns to harm someone else, then you simply must come back with just this: If YOU had a gun, would YOU harm someone else using it?
If they reply 'No,' then you are dealing with an elitist.
If they say yes, they they are projecting their own ill feelings about themselves upon everyone else.
In the former —the elitist attitude— they think themselves to be 'better' than everyone else, and therefore NOBODY but they themselves are good enough to have what they possess. The see themselves as 'privileged.'
In the latter, the ones whom project, they are informing the rest of the world that THEY are indeed dangerous. They don't trust themselves, and by extension, trust NOBODY else as a consequence.
If you placed a loaded gun on a table before them, they would likely pick it up and start shooting indiscriminately. That kind of personality is self-hating, but they are also quite cowardly.
They hate themselves so much that they desire to harm everyone else as a result, because they see everyone else as the cause for their own self-inflicted misery.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95724 Jan 13, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
His intent was to exact revenge upon the community for the pain he felt.
He chose the weapon that would best produce the sorrow in others, he felt himself.
I'm not so blinded by my position as to seek blame in the weapon or anyone aside from the perpetrator.
--YET
As so often happens, time and time again...
A normally "law abiding" citizen proved fatally irresponsible with regard to a tactical weapon...
Again.
Well, I agree the blame isn't the weapon. The blame is the perpetrator. As far as choice of weapons, he chose what was available at home. In his screwed up medicated world, he may have thought his mother loved that gun more than him. She also substitute taught in the involved school. And then, mom is attempting to have him committed. There's a psychopath who felt rejected by his mother and took it out on his perceived enemies of the world. Could that be a motive?
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95725 Jan 13, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
Why is the USA the only high income democracy that needs armed guards at schools?
HAHAHAHAHAHA.
Because of gunnuts.
Well, gee, you arsewipe, maybe it's because of COMPETE IDIOTS like yourself who've made schools 'gun-free zones' and therefore the MOST LIKELY PLACE for mass shootings to happen?
Once again: HOW MANY cop shops have experienced mass shootings?

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#95726 Jan 13, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I agree the blame isn't the weapon. The blame is the perpetrator. As far as choice of weapons, he chose what was available at home. In his screwed up medicated world, he may have thought his mother loved that gun more than him. She also substitute taught in the involved school. And then, mom is attempting to have him committed. There's a psychopath who felt rejected by his mother and took it out on his perceived enemies of the world. Could that be a motive?
It could be the motive, Teaman.

As, you've said... It's impossible for those of us who can't even begin to contemplate such an event, to fully understand the issues in such a demented person.

--BUT

This fact remains constant...

They obtain the weapons from somebody and is so often the case... A normally functioning "law abiding" weapons owner who's lapse in good judgement, presented him a greater opportunity for carnage.

--AND

That is the issue for me regarding the continued legality of assault weapons.
Patriot

Boulder, CO

#95727 Jan 13, 2013
Bottom line and this is Urgent:

To Stop the tyrants in Washington, DC., once and for all -

The only solution is for states to pass a bill to reconstitute the Constitutional Militia and the People of each state demand their governor sign it into law.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd569.ht...

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2012/12/27/re...

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/state-legislatures...

Please share.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95728 Jan 13, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
As, you've said... It's impossible for those of us who can't even begin to contemplate such an event, to fully understand the issues in such a demented person.
--BUT
They obtain the weapons from somebody and is so often the case... A normally functioning "law abiding" weapons owner who's lapse in good judgement, presented him a greater opportunity for carnage.
--AND
I see your point, but I don't see how turning a law abiding citizen into a criminal by a law much like prohibition, would solve anything. I would like to see state governments take a hard look at mental issues and require these types of weapons be kept secured. There are states now taking those measures. I would also bet on more state reciprocal agreements.

The movie theater shooter was actually visiting a psychiatrist. He shouldn't of had access to any type of gun. There's a possibility the psychiatrist had a duty to protect society.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95729 Jan 13, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point, but I don't see how turning a law abiding citizen into a criminal by a law much like prohibition, would solve anything. I would like to see state governments take a hard look at mental issues and require these types of weapons be kept secured. There are states now taking those measures. I would also bet on more state reciprocal agreements.
The movie theater shooter was actually visiting a psychiatrist. He shouldn't of had access to any type of gun. There's a possibility the psychiatrist had a duty to protect society.
Perhaps you didn't/don't know, but the Aurora shooter wasn't alone, and —AND— he was involved in an advanced psychology program akin to MKULTRA.
Some more facts:
[1] After the shooting, he was found sitting in his car right outside the theater in the parking lot.
[2] When he was arrested, he had NO blood on his body or his clothing, yet there were TWO gas masks found outside the theater exit, AND there was a trail of blood which if evaluated for the amount shown would have resulted in almost certain death —IF— that was really blood which was seen on the sidewalk exit.
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95730 Jan 13, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--BUT
--AND
"That is the issue for me regarding the continued legality of assault weapons."

Those items are SECOND AMENDMENT DEFENSE weapons.
Don't like it? TOUGH!
More women and children are raped daily by men than are harmed by guns.
WHERE IS YOUR OUTRAGE on THAT issue?
Oh, silly me: YOU COULDN'T CARE LESS about THAT!!
Why not? Because YOU are a CHILD RAPIST!
Walter Harold Marlin

Mount Holly, NJ

#95731 Jan 13, 2013
How about a yearly fire arm registration.

How to register your car
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95732 Jan 13, 2013
Walter Harold Marlin wrote:
How to register your car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BV2eiyJU0UAXX
Do YOU really want to compare cars to guns?
DO YOU?
Let me know!

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#95733 Jan 13, 2013
How to register your car
Sounds like a reasonable idea.

--HOWEVER

For some of these people, anything which requires responsible forethought or unduly inconveniences their lazy, fat asses in anyway...

--IS

Out of the question.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95734 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you didn't/don't know, but the Aurora shooter wasn't alone, and —AND— he was involved in an advanced psychology program akin to MKULTRA.
Some more facts:
[1] After the shooting, he was found sitting in his car right outside the theater in the parking lot.
[2] When he was arrested, he had NO blood on his body or his clothing, yet there were TWO gas masks found outside the theater exit, AND there was a trail of blood which if evaluated for the amount shown would have resulted in almost certain death —IF— that was really blood which was seen on the sidewalk exit.
I recall the two gas masks. I don't recall hearing anything about blood trails. A good court case to follow.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#95735 Jan 13, 2013
How to register your car
Registration leads to confiscation, especially when the federal government is involved.

Are you in Canada or NJ?
Walter Harold Marlin

Mount Holly, NJ

#95736 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
DO YOU?
Let me know!
NRA advocates compare guns and autos as one of their primary debate tactics.

If someone is a fire-arm owner and they must register their fire-arm annually this will make straw purchases of guns more difficult and make the owners of the guns more accountable.

Don't Lie for the Other Guy Industry and ATF Partners - Straw Purchases

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#95737 Jan 13, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with more accessible mental healthcare.

--BUT

Requiring any Physician to arbitrarily relate suspicions of a patient to authorities, will open another can of worms equal too, if not greater than the one we have here.

--AND

May, in and of itself... prevent the very people needing emotional help from seeking it.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#95740 Jan 13, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
That is right, the criminal mind directs the weapon, at best it could be said that the weapon facilitates the criminal intent, but it does not create that intent.
You should stop letting the NRA do the thinking for you !!!!!!
The radicalization of the NRA
Apparently all members voluntarily give up their critical thinking skills.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-nr...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#95741 Jan 13, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
DO YOU?
Let me know!
Nope, just the clear and none-ambiguous rules and the registrations system ...
Dr Freud

Bethnal Green, UK

#95742 Jan 13, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a reasonable idea.
--HOWEVER
For some of these people, anything which requires responsible forethought or unduly inconveniences their lazy, fat asses in anyway...
--IS
Out of the question.
Yeah: YOURSELF for a VERY BIG FAT example!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protesters throw rocks, bottles at police outsi... 1 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 31
News House takes action against Confederate flag, a ... 2 min Swampmudd 301
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,383,580
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 3 min Three Psyche 973
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 3 min Terra Firma 11,879
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min An NFL Fan 384,225
News Donald Trump nixes Bernie Sanders debate, blame... 6 min RustyS 7
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 20 min serfs up 1,003
News Donald Trump breaks with nation's only Latina g... 31 min serfs up 61
More from around the web