It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103311 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

GoGoBar

Thailand

#95441 Jan 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt if the idiots here even know who their congressmen are. There are a few in congress, like Ron Paul, who would like to see the federal reserve revoked. He introduced a bill to have the fed. audited with a lot of backing, but I don't know what happened to that.
If you look at the Fed's website it would be hard to imagine that an audit could possibly provide any more information.
The federal reserve is just a holding house for the State reserves.

The New York Federal Reserve has pretty much recovered all the Bailout Money with interest.

The trouble with letting the Govt. of the day "print" money is that they will print it just to win the next election.

I have no problem with a State or Federal Govt. savings and Commercial bank. It keeps the private banks honest.

But bonds serve a similar purpose.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#95442 Jan 11, 2013
ManWIthNoBum wrote:
<quoted text>
Theres a thread devoted to how fat and hypocritical you are ?
Do you think there is enough smoke in the world that can cover your stupidity...admit it!....you posted on the wrong thread!..you did, you moronic tit. You're hilarious.

Perth, Australia

#95443 Jan 11, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>.
At present it is legal for Americans to own guns - no amount of condemnation from Australia will alter that situation - if the American people want change they have the processes available to them. This cannot be presented as a shared global responsibility as in the examples you gave - war and environmental issues - in these we may have some influence.

A: Nonsense you have a responsibility to make wrong things right whether they are against the law or not.....it is not agaist the law to behead women in Saudi Arabia, so we complain or force a child into marriage in some countries, so we complain...or hang drug dealers in Malaya so we complain...face it you are not facing up to those facts that we have always put our two bobs worth in if we deemed it necessary and often the government is the last to get onboard like the Vietnam war for instance...there are thousands of examples like the letters catholic school children wrote to China to have children and political prisoners released....we have a moral responsibility to right wrongs...and a single voice turning into many voices is what stopped the war in Vietnam....
No right thinking person wants innocent children to die in any circumstances - and that includes those who die in a country where guns are legal.

I don't know the answer, but simply attacking people on the basis that they oppose gun bans will not resolve the problem - some form of compromise is perhaps the best outcome - but that is for Americans to decide

A: You can't reason with these people, they have had years of brainwashing....you think the Indian people thought that let's be nicey nicey about the ammount of woment getting raped over there you thinked that would have worked as much as aggressive action?....You should tell that to all those kids now adults or dead, that have struggled for decades following societies rules to get the priests and those in the care of children to be accountable for the sexual abuse...a good deal have since died or taken their own life because they stayed within the lines yeah that would have worked to stop the Vietnam war too eh!....

Perth, Australia

#95444 Jan 11, 2013
Blooming Idiot wrote:
Obama and his advisers have signaled that they intend to push a broad and ambitious set of ­anti-gun-violence proposals in Congress, including a ban on military-style assault weapons and a limit on the number of bullets in magazines. The White House has said Obama intends to decide on a final set of proposals by the end of this month.
THIS BLOOMING IDIOT WANTS TO TAKE GUNS AWAY FROM LAW ABIDING CITIZENS!PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT THIS OUTLAW ARE THE
PROBLEM!LAW ABIDING CITIZENS SHOULD OWN assault weapons and HIGH number of bullets in magazines IN CASE OBAMA TRIES TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERMENT AND CREATES ANOTHER CIVIL WAR!THEY CLAIM THAT LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ARE THE PROBLEM!WE THE PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO PROTECT OURSELF FROM THIS EVIL MAN,AFTER ALL OBAMA IS SUPPORTING THE DRUG CARTEL!!!!!OBAMA IS THE FOX GUARDING THE HEN HOUSE!!!!
Let’s Arm The Mexican Drug Cartels With Thousands Of Guns And Continue To Leave The Border Completely Wide Open”
By Michael, on July 11th, 2011
How in the world are Americans living in the southwest United States supposed to sleep peacefully at night when the U.S. government has given thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels and continues to leave the border completely wide open? The brutality and viciousness of Mexican drug cartels is almost beyond description, and yet the U.S. government has armed them to the teeth and does next to nothing to stop their incursions into U.S. territory.“Project Gunrunner” was supposed to be a U.S. government initiative to fight the flow of guns into Mexico. Instead, it has now come out that ATF agents were ordered to facilitate the acquisition of thousands of U.S. guns by Mexican drug cartels and then halt surveillance on where those guns where going. One of these operations was known as “Fast and Furious” and the revelations that are now coming out have Congress in an uproar. If the full truth about what has been going on is revealed to the American people it is going to turn Washington D.C. upside down.
Right now, some of the most dangerous places to be on the face of the earth are along the U.S./Mexico border. The Mexican drug cartels are fighting a vicious war against each other and against the authorities.
Just this past week, there were 40 drug war deaths down in Mexico in just one 24 hour period. Over 35,000 people have been killed since the Mexican government declared war on the cartels back in 2006.
Every time one big cartel boss is brought down it just seems to cause the cartels to splinter and multiply. Each year the cartels seem to become better armed and more sophisticated.
Now it turns out that there was a very good reason why the cartels are armed so well.
The U.S. government has been supplying them with thousands of weapons.
The following is a brief excerpt from a CBS News report that discusses the fierce opposition that many ATF agents expressed to allowing thousands of guns to be given into the hands of the Mexican drug cartels….
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
Go the Democrats, having the balls to carry through!

Perth, Australia

#95445 Jan 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
What the states do for themselves is fine. Each state has their own needs. A problem arises when the federal government imposes itself. I've haven't seen this country this divided since the Vietnam war days.
There http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-secessi... about 26 states refusing to expand Medicare and healthcare exchanges.
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthc...
There are petitions from 34 states petitioning for a peaceful secession.
http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-secessi...
You have to agree though that most states in regards to healthcare don't want to use the money to help their citizens...what a bunch of ignorant wankers....
Same with the gun law....they don't have the balls of the Italians that have seen judges murdered trying to rid themselves of the mafia...you should have done that a long time ago you had enough guns yet you allowed it to thrive. No courage and greed...is the motivation of most of the States....

Perth, Australia

#95446 Jan 11, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
18 Facts That Prove Piers Morgan Is Flat Out Lying About Gun Control
http://www.activistpost.com/2013/01/18-facts-...
Do you not get the point, did you miss something? go back a couple of posts...and put your glasses on you blind tit.

Since: Jan 13

Cape Town, South Africa

#95447 Jan 11, 2013
Let's do something in preparation for our future and that's let's invest in gold other than guns...go to www.drccongogoldtraders.com and request a quotation for some good DRC gold

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#95448 Jan 11, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
A: You can't reason with these people, they have had years of brainwashing
Yes you can.
But you won't.
You make no attempt to reason with anyone.
You're too ignorant to except anything but your own view of how things should be.
When someone disagrees you then call that "brainwashing, can't reason with" etc. etc. etc..

respect for anyone...

#95449 Jan 11, 2013
Except should be *accept*

respect for anyone...

#95450 Jan 11, 2013
CertifiedGeek wrote:
Let's do something in preparation for our future and that's let's invest in gold other than guns...go to www.drccongogoldtraders.com and request a quotation for some good DRC gold
Go away spammer.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#95451 Jan 11, 2013
CertifiedGeek wrote:
Immoral. Gold earned from the whipped backs of oppressed workers is out of the question.

Now if it was cheaper than USA, Canadian or Australian gold...
India Business Man

Patna, India

#95452 Jan 11, 2013
In India we have no guns.
Sometimes there is a shortage of vindaloo curry and I cant go poo poo.
But I come to this forum because it is the same of crap day in day out and it fixes my constipation.OOOOOOOOh I just pooed now, it blew a hole through the chair and the floor. Now I can see the appartment below. The have poo all over the floor to because it is Indoia

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#95453 Jan 11, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
At present it is legal for Americans to own guns - no amount of condemnation from Australia will alter that situation - if the American people want change they have the processes available to them. This cannot be presented as a shared global responsibility as in the examples you gave - war and environmental issues - in these we may have some influence.
A: Nonsense you have a responsibility to make wrong things right whether they are against the law or not.....it is not agaist the law to behead women in Saudi Arabia, so we complain or force a child into marriage in some countries, so we complain...or hang drug dealers in Malaya so we complain...face it you are not facing up to those facts that we have always put our two bobs worth in if we deemed it necessary and often the government is the last to get onboard like the Vietnam war for instance...there are thousands of examples like the letters catholic school children wrote to China to have children and political prisoners released....we have a moral responsibility to right wrongs...and a single voice turning into many voices is what stopped the war in Vietnam....
No right thinking person wants innocent children to die in any circumstances - and that includes those who die in a country where guns are legal.
I don't know the answer, but simply attacking people on the basis that they oppose gun bans will not resolve the problem - some form of compromise is perhaps the best outcome - but that is for Americans to decide
A: You can't reason with these people, they have had years of brainwashing....you think the Indian people thought that let's be nicey nicey about the ammount of woment getting raped over there you thinked that would have worked as much as aggressive action?....You should tell that to all those kids now adults or dead, that have struggled for decades following societies rules to get the priests and those in the care of children to be accountable for the sexual abuse...a good deal have since died or taken their own life because they stayed within the lines yeah that would have worked to stop the Vietnam war too eh!....
America is not an oppressed nation - the Americans have the right and the means to bring about whatever changes they decide is necessary.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#95454 Jan 11, 2013
India Business Man wrote:
But I come to this forum because it is the same of crap day in day out and it fixes my constipation.OOOOOOOOh I just pooed now, it blew a hole through the chair and the floor. Now I can see the appartment below. The have poo all over the floor to because it is Indoia
Surely could not have thrown off the yoke of Colonial Capitalist Imperialism and not survive without guns. Do you have a Constitution?
Or just a Constipation like...

Perth, Australia

#95455 Jan 11, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
America is not an oppressed nation - the Americans have the right and the means to bring about whatever changes they decide is necessary.
Of course they are nation of oppression...talk to the Afican American or the Indian....

5 top polititians are on the NRA payroll, do you think that is allowing Americans to think for themselves.....think again....a tad naive, methinks.

Indian Business Man

Patna, India

#95456 Jan 11, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely could not have thrown off the yoke of Colonial Capitalist Imperialism and not survive without guns. Do you have a Constitution?
Or just a Constipation like...
Yes we have many guns like most countries.
But the British just left without a war.
Britain likes to leave.
We just wave bye bye and they went.
Its very hard to walk through all the poo in the sidewalks in India so we have started wearing the big german nazi sort of boots up to our knees because then we can walk through much poo.
The poo is almost as deep as the poo that is in this forum about guns.
Frog

Ballwin, MO

#95457 Jan 11, 2013
Well if Obama did nothing he catch hell and he does something about guns he catches hell he is in a no win situation can't please all!

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#95458 Jan 11, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they are nation of oppression...talk to the Afican American or the Indian....
5 top polititians are on the NRA payroll, do you think that is allowing Americans to think for themselves.....think again....a tad naive, methinks.
The same could be said of Australia re the Indigenous people and corporate influenced politicians but I wouldn't say we are an oppressed nation.
Tm Clmns

Victoria, Canada

#95459 Jan 12, 2013
India Business Man wrote:
Nijoni.. this is you....!!
Tm Clmns

Victoria, Canada

#95460 Jan 12, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
No right thinking person wants innocent children to die in any circumstances - and that includes those who own guns. I don't know the answer, but simply attacking people on the basis that they oppose gun bans will not resolve the problem - some form of compromise is perhaps the best outcome - but that is for Americans to decide.
Ok.. great.. now, it "should also be for Americans" to keep their guns inside their own borders.

The reason many crooks in Canada have them is there are so many extra available for cheap$ brought over by US crooks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 min Agents of Corruption 391,730
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Injudgement 233,658
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Blitzking 201,755
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,406,135
News Commentary: Hillary's speech was not good 8 min Harry Paratestes 26
News Bill Clinton tells a love story to make his cas... 9 min Webb Hubbell meth... 2
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 16 min littleoleladyfrom... 5,754
News Poll: Trump supporters unfazed by reversal on s... 4 hr NotSoDivineMsM 328
More from around the web