It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#93596 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh that's nice~~hahaha.
I don't know why Chicago was nicknamed the windy city, but I do know for a fact that I read Boston is windier. It's on the water, so it's possible.
I'll have to Google it.
Chicago being called the "windy city" has absolutely nothing to do with the weather.
Yeah, ya better google it.

Location hidden

#93597 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Average annual wind speed in Chicago is 10.3 mph/Boston is 12.4 mph.
Taking a bow........
Cute.
Too bad you are wrong about how it got it's name.
Try again. It is not the weather that gave Chicago it's nickname.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#93598 Jan 3, 2013
Teaman wrote:
The Journal News in NY published a map showing where people with gun permits are living. The Journal News has since had the need to hire, wait for it, armed guards.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/nyregion/pu...
Just goes to show..........people with guns are nuts.
Stupid people suck

Coffeyville, KS

#93599 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have an aversion to drugs?
Nope, just an aversion to people on drugs having a problem with others practicing their legal right to pocess guns. You have a legal right to be dependant on drugs and I have a legal right to be dependant on my gun for security, for food, and even for entertainment.

You have your rights and I have mine. The only difference is that I am not suggesting you should lose your rights just because I don't like them or practice them myself.

Location hidden

#93600 Jan 3, 2013
Teaman wrote:
The Journal News in NY published a map showing where people with gun permits are living. The Journal News has since had the need to hire, wait for it, armed guards.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/nyregion/pu ...
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess what is the latest on ^that^ story Hoga.
The Journal News has done something interesting since they fcuked up and published that list.
The Journal News has HIRED ARMED GUARDS and placed them in their headquarters and newsroom.

Now why, pray tell, would that be?
Why do they not just wait until something happens and then call 911. < That's what you say folks should do.

Google it sweetie and see for yourself. Yep, the whimpy little pricks are scared, and hung "gun free zone" signs all over the newsroom. Right?
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#93601 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would someone stick a cork up their zzz? Won't let me type ass with a zz.
Just wondering. Is that a male thing?
It's an expression for a leftist snob, Guppy.

Location hidden

#93602 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here Hoga, I know how you avoid thinking and checking for yourself.
http://nj1015.com/armed-guards-stationed-at-n...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#93603 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It goes to show you, anti gun people resort to guns. I don't think there are any principles on the left.

Location hidden

#93604 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Which people with guns are nuts?
Those armed guards at the News Journal?

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93606 Jan 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a vegan~how can you say that?
You don't need to suck up to animal killers. You are in the right and they are in the wrong. They make all these excuses that actually nauseate me. They are lying. They maim and kill animals because it makes them feel like a man. Gives them power over those beautiful animals. They probably don't even care about the meat. It's the power. Can't identify with that one.
your right - I am due admonishment in this matter although i think i added some significant qualifications but yeah point taken .
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#93607 Jan 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Which people with guns are nuts?
Those armed guards at the News Journal?
Oh, the armed guards are not nuts. That is their job.

The article said it got a lot of "criticism." That means death threats. People with guns have to threaten bodily harm when they don't get their own way. That makes them a nut.

I think it pretty EDUCATIONAL to know where yous live with your guns. On Halloween, you bypass that house.

What is that called?`````````Oh, that's right. FREEDOM Of THE PRESS.

Thanks for the article. Didn't know that was going on.

Put Down Your Gun! It Will Be OK. ha!

Location hidden

#93608 Jan 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The Journal News has done something interesting since they fcuked up and published that list.
The Journal News has HIRED ARMED GUARDS and placed them in their headquarters and newsroom.
Why do they not just wait until something happens and then call 911. < That's what you say folks should do.
Google it sweetie and see for yourself. Yep, the whimpy little pricks are scared, and hung "gun free zone" signs all over the newsroom. Right?
why pray tell are you making such a big deal of this fathead ?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#93609 Jan 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wait until something happens and then call 911. That's what all of you say. You said the cops would show up only AFTER the fact. YES YOU DID. YOU SAID THEY WOULDN'T PROTECT. LALALA.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#93610 Jan 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
What this story exemplifies and illustrates is Journalism becoming Activism.

A line was not only crossed but a trust broken.

Happens at Fox News, daily.

The Paper deserves obscurity.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#93611 Jan 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicago being called the "windy city" has absolutely nothing to do with the weather.
Yeah, ya better google it.
I said~~~~~~~~~~I don't know why they call Chicago the 'windy city,' and then you say I don't know what I am talking about. Huh?
I Googled it. Windy City ~~ A Chicago that was full of bluster. The people.
BTW~~ It IS a windy city, but not as bad as Boston.
Whatever.

South Perth, Australia

#93612 Jan 3, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahomana posted
Well no offence, but I don't think I will be taking your word for that...
What exactly is "offence"
You should get an education before you call out others on their spelling, GED queen
The difference is one, it was a joke? Secondly if I do it, it is not that I cannot spell or don't know the queens english is it?....and Ahomana starts with a capital...yanks tend to not know that as a general rule...
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#93613 Jan 3, 2013
Stupid people suck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just an aversion to people on drugs having a problem with others practicing their legal right to pocess guns. You have a legal right to be dependant on drugs and I have a legal right to be dependant on my gun for security, for food, and even for entertainment.
You have your rights and I have mine. The only difference is that I am not suggesting you should lose your rights just because I don't like them or practice them myself.
My drug dependency does not harm other people. On the other hand, your gun dependency COULD be very dangerous to other people. If you were to get angry~you would whip out your gun and kill the other person. I can't whip out a pill and hurt anyone.

Location hidden

#93615 Jan 3, 2013
hmmm and now a company that makes bulletproof protective clothing -for adults - is bringing out a range of bulletproof garments for children - due to public demand - post conneticut .

-- where will end ?

South Perth, Australia

#93616 Jan 3, 2013
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure and for certain!
I'm going to bed now, but if you've got time, how about clicking the link below and reading this full report on the recent teenage shooting in Australia... it blows Ahomana's self-righteous comments right out the water! Our kids don't even feel safe here anymore... and they're now arming themselves!!! Our "safe" days are long gone!
Shooting death of Lewis McPherson sparks warning of teenage gun use
The Advertiser
January 02, 2013
EXTRACT:
Mr Woods said he was concerned by a growing number of shooting incidents in Adelaide over the past two years.
Child psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Gregg said there was no doubt more teenagers w

ere carrying weapons than in previous generations.
"There is no doubt that the young people that I work with feel more apprehensive and fearful than they did 20 years ago," Dr Carr-Gregg said.
"Prof Goldsmith said gun numbers in Australia were comparable to or above the number before the Port Arthur massacre, despite about 820,000 firearms being handed in during an amnesty after the incident in 1996.
He said the sheer number of guns provided opportunity for some of them to be illegally obtained and go "off the radar".
"Whatever number were handed in as part of the amnesty has been more than recouped through imports and purchases of guns. There is a lot of legitimate gun acquisition, but then those guns can be poorly secured or they can be stolen."
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/s...
You have just echoed my concerns about guns at any time...and do you really believe all those guns reported stolen were actually stolen...and while there are guns around there will be gun deaths it's a given we have gun control not a gun ban...and you would have to say as is reported on your link on you post that "He said the sheer number of guns provided opportunity for some of them to be illegally obtained and go "off the radar". that alone states that most of those goes were once in the hands of those decent law abiding citizens who think like you, and most were unregistered, either, either while guns are allowed in our society someone will get shot....it's a given....Kids in society on a night out have always been fearful...guns have just made that more of a reality...so stick a sock in it, you paranoid delusional nutter.....

South Perth, Australia

#93617 Jan 3, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The hurricane Sandy bill was an Obama request and written in the democrat majority senate, which is odd to begin with.
It was full of democrat spending on wasteful projects that have nothing to do with Sandy. The house will vote on a bill without all of the unrelated spending.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/little_...
You government supplies emergency aid in a crisis....It doesn't matter what is odd as long as these people get aid....people in New Orleans are still waiting...no congress should block emergency aid...though I do see the need to monitor and account for the spending to make sure it's effective....

quoted text> "The Senate bill is considerably less than the $82 billion in aid requested by New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, the states that bore the brunt of damage from the storm.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's disaster relief fund now has less than $5 billion available."

Obama is requesting all that money for those hit by Sandy...the fact that not every item put forward is desperate or needed is not the fault of Obama but of states trying to capitalise on the funding...there is a time when you have to be reasonable and know what Obama is not responsible for.....Fair go.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre8br0n1-us...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Demoscum 286,142
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min ImPeach 25,142
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min BlueFlag 1,579,887
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 3 min Katrina 1,179
News Obama's response to Charlottesville becomes mos... 6 min spud 43
News The Military Coup Against Donald Trump of 2018,... 7 min Ms Sassy 18
News Report: Higher premiums if Trump halts 'Obamaca... 11 min SirPrize 45
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 33 min barry 8,369
More from around the web