It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#93364 Jan 3, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
your a vegan of course - born out of your great concern for animals - yeah right
you lard loaded , offalscoffing, gristle gumming flesheating buffoon ha ha ha -
I don't eat animals - but that has nothing to do with the subject of cruelty to domestic pets. Most people eat meat and most right thinking people would not support the unnecessary killing of animals - you are a disagreeable and objectionable person.
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#93365 Jan 3, 2013
Sexual Harasment Panda wrote:
You people are obsessed with guns either obsessed pro gun or obsessed anti gun....
What the f$@ck is your problem, the world dosent revolve around guns.
If a man, or a woman, fears for his/her life, and KNOWS that a gun will MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD in that matter of survival, is that man/woman to be seen by yourself as 'obsessed?'
And, if so, why?
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#93366 Jan 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No....cause that would be a lie...a coward is people who jump on the wagon of fear when lies are told, they hoard together like animals to wage wars based on lies, the hero's weren't the ones that grabbed the gun and put on the uniform they were the ones bringing you the truth, against all odds against being called a traitor and they were right!...You idiots and your government were the traitors in the Iraqi war.....you are clearly the cowards...you shat on your flag that day and everything it stood for....you who supported and believed your governments lies .....there is only a small handful of decent Americans that deserve to be called hero's and patriots and you are not one of them....
Again as a coward you hold no position to call into question the motivations of others.
Andrew Jackson

United States

#93367 Jan 3, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people of all shapes, sizes and Nationalities here. There used to be a lot of US visitors, but the Russians seemed to have a grudge against them, and treated them accordingly.
Unfortunately Russians on overseas holidays here tend to be the wealthier ones, but they dont look or behave like legitimate people. They just seem to have a nasty attitude.
Which bothers me not.
Well travel is expensive. This is probably another reason Americans have a bad reputation around the world. The ones who can afford to travel are usually spoiled snobs with bad attitudes that complain wherever they go.

Like you say, they don't look or act like normal people. The average American is too busy working and paying bills to travel the globe.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#93368 Jan 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you get the permission from all indigenous Americans in the last hour did you?...you must have amazing technology?....You are native American possibly....indigenous not a hope in hell.....get the chief to send a letter that actually states that, to the American government and then I might believe you.....you lying troll.
Please tell us how and when your government apologized to the aborigines of your country for the abuses and racism shown to them. AHHH that's right you can't ... hypocrite
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#93369 Jan 3, 2013
levi wrote:
<quoted text>You're the type of person enemies love, you would surrender your country and countrymen at the first sign of trouble. So sad, thank God your kind is rare. Theres no way in hell you can be full blooded australian, from what I have observed here on topix the full blooded australians have a little 'fire' in their blood, you got water, weak weak water.
Full blooded Australians are pretty rare now. Over the generations many have married white people. But the full bloods are extremely interesting when you get to know them. They are almost psychic. Spititual I suppose.
Sexual Harasment Panda

Perth, Australia

#93370 Jan 3, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
If a man, or a woman, fears for his/her life, and KNOWS that a gun will MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD in that matter of survival, is that man/woman to be seen by yourself as 'obsessed?'
And, if so, why?
Well if you feel in fear of your life then fine... buy a gun.
But why sit and talk about it day after day ?
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#93371 Jan 3, 2013
Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well travel is expensive. This is probably another reason Americans have a bad reputation around the world. The ones who can afford to travel are usually spoiled snobs with bad attitudes that complain wherever they go.
Like you say, they don't look or act like normal people. The average American is too busy working and paying bills to travel the globe.
Well that sucks.
Things will pick up...

Since: Dec 12

Adelaide, Australia

#93372 Jan 3, 2013
noteatpig2getha wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
<quoted text>
Has there been a time that you haven't mentioned fluoride ? Can't say I've seen your latest but I'm very confident that you have nothing new to say.
<quoted text>
You've posted about your daughter's rotten teeth, your son-in-law dying whilst on Champix and your own smoking. If there is something there that you don't like talking about you only have yourself to blame.
We've had flouride for decades.. good stuff... prevents cavaties...

You Qlders are a weird bunch.. no doubt about that

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93373 Jan 3, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't eat animals - but that has nothing to do with the subject of cruelty to domestic pets. Most people eat meat and most right thinking people would not support the unnecessary killing of animals - you are a disagreeable and objectionable person.
you collosal hypocrite - did you just say

"Most people eat meat and most right thinking people would not support the unnecessary killing of animals"

is your name shirley ......

HA HA HA HA HA HA.
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#93374 Jan 3, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
And, if so, why?
Obsessed would be more in the line say..
Someone who takes their firearm to the toilet while using the throne.

Adelaide, Australia

#93375 Jan 3, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Full blooded Australians are pretty rare now. Over the generations many have married white people. But the full bloods are extremely interesting when you get to know them. They are almost psychic. Spititual I suppose.
you are completely incorrect. Australia (the name) never existed prior to the naming of Ausralia by white fellas.

The Australian indigenous are pretty rare now - correct.

The Australian indigenous were never a nation. The were separate clans with different dialects, traditions and cultures.

Australians number 24m - and can be anyone from a recent immigrant direct from Bombay to a full blooded Pitjanjara Elder who call Australia home and have full citizenship (either by birth or by ceremony)

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93376 Jan 3, 2013
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
We've had flouride for decades.. good stuff... prevents cavaties...
You Qlders are a weird bunch.. no doubt about that
true that lol
levi

United States

#93377 Jan 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you get the permission from all indigenous Americans in the last hour did you?...you must have amazing technology?....You are native American possibly....indigenous not a hope in hell.....get the chief to send a letter that actually states that, to the American government and then I might believe you.....you lying troll.
I dont give a rats ass if you believe me or not, Iam who Iam, Choctaw/Cherokee, and I do belive I do know a little bit more about my peoples attitude then you. Well, maybe not, as it seems that you have convinced yourself tht you know everything. Tell me, does it get lonely at the top?

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#93378 Jan 3, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text> BTW where is the Australian apology to the indigenous of Australia and the oppression heaped on them by your countrymen?
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, MP - Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples

Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 9:09am AEDT

Apology Transcript:

I move

That today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

FULL TRANSCRIPT: http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-c...

DOWNLOADS:

Video: Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, MP - Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples (WMV)
7.7MB - 4min, 3sec
Video: Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, MP - Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples (MOV)
16MB - 4min, 3sec
Audio: Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, MP - Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples (MP3)
1.2MB - 3min, 40sec - 48kbps Mono

Adelaide, Australia

#93379 Jan 3, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
And, if so, why?
Fear...

I fear nothing

I need no gun.

What about you Dr Fraud?
levi

United States

#93380 Jan 3, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
The old ones, those natives who are closer to the land are laughed at alot. But most are wise, and know alot more about things then people give them credit for.

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#93381 Jan 3, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell us how and when your government apologized to the aborigines of your country for the abuses and racism shown to them. AHHH that's right you can't ... hypocrite
See above post.

Adelaide, Australia

#93382 Jan 3, 2013
Sexual Harasment Panda wrote:
I can understand the term gun nuts. But it should be used to the pro and anti gun people. Their both obsessives. If talking about guns day in day out on a thread for five years dosent qualify for some sort of mental abnormality I dont know what does.
Hey, do you want to visit our Zoo in Adelaide? Wang Wang and Funi both need a bit of Sexual harasmant.. they have cost us around 10m so far.. with no little paws for joy :(
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#93383 Jan 3, 2013
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
you are completely incorrect. Australia (the name) never existed prior to the naming of Ausralia by white fellas.
The Australian indigenous are pretty rare now - correct.
The Australian indigenous were never a nation. The were separate clans with different dialects, traditions and cultures.
Australians number 24m - and can be anyone from a recent immigrant direct from Bombay to a full blooded Pitjanjara Elder who call Australia home and have full citizenship (either by birth or by ceremony)
Yes, I see your point. I suppose I am just a 3/4 blood Scottish Australian.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. private prison operator shares seen rising... 2 min Mikey 5
News DHS: Trump Border 'Wall' to Cost $21.6B, Take 3... 3 min Lawrence Wolf 449
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 4 min Soetoro 1,394
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Brad 1,497,103
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Dr Guru 237,623
News Thousands descend on downtown LA for a Free the... 5 min spytheweb 48
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... 7 min spytheweb 25
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 32 min Chilli J 412,784
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Julia 258,857
News Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn r... 2 hr jonjedi 448
More from around the web