It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#92237 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it didn't remove alcoholic beverages from alcoholics.
Ken Burns has a good DVD about Prohibition.
Prohibition of weaponry, is also a like failure.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#92238 Dec 31, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Local slang isn't well known.:-) No need to refer to someone as haughty.
Do you say salt or saut.:-)
Salt or saut? I say both. I am known for butchering the english language.

You know she was acting holier than thou. Thinking she was some kind of rich lady or something. Thinking she was better than me. What is wrong with yous? I happen to like it and will continue using it and I don't care what anyone says. I'm from Philly, mate.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#92239 Dec 31, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mate.. feels bad to lose does it?
Americans are such sore losers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
<quoted text>
Yes Edward, Americans are sore losers. We hate to lose, as verses your and your countrymen's position of being good little losers and staying in your place. We, as in we the people, prefer to win.
Tis the fool and ultimate loser, that attempts to ridicule another because they hate to lose.
Maybe Eddie Kelly is right...

Location hidden

#92240 Dec 31, 2012
George Washington wrote:
<quoted text>
Well how can they be fresh as a daisy if you haven't changed them lately?
She puts daisys in her knickers to hide the fish within, so then the pants are as fresh as the daisy?

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#92241 Dec 31, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think many take offense to the term Yanks, Gotta. It depends on how you use it, I suppose.
A southerner might not like it. You would have to ask one, I wouldn't know. I'm referred to as a Yankee down there in a friendly sort of way.
Some Americans in Oz years ago objected very strongly to being called Yanks and were quite cranky about it, but as soon as they realised we were going to call them all that regardless, they pulled their horns in and tolerated it. Aussies shorten everything and turn it inside out, so if 'Yank' hadn't come about, it could have ended up being much worse.

Being an irreverent lot, we don't really much care whether you Yanks like it or not. <:)

We get called Skips and Convicts, and people think they're insulting us... we happen to like it.

I was only having a go at Aho's refusal to believe that Aussies called pigs "razorbacks", because she said it was an Americanism and wasn't used in Australia... but of course it is.

We were all having a play before when you all were sleeping, now you all are back I suppose it's down to serious business and the thread topic again. lol
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#92242 Dec 31, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Prohibition wasn't in the Bill of Rights. The state of Idaho was tossing around the idea of seceding from the union if the latest court challenge concerning the 2nd amendment didn't uphold the right to bear arms.
BTW, did prohibition remove alcoholic beverages from society.
It certainly increased the use of guns by criminals. Image what would happen if guns are outlawed.
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#92243 Dec 31, 2012
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
The tool of choice for killing 20 5 & 6 year old children at a school (and 8 school staff ) is
A Knife
A Hammer
A Baseball bat
The 2nd ammendment

Edited for clarity

A Knife
A Hammer
A Baseball bat
The 2nd Amendment
A gun free zone and a narcisstic sociopath

Location hidden

#92244 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are asking for too much.
When I say something, just assume I am right. I do.
There is no assumption to be made in that regard. I am NOT assuming you think you are right. I am convinced that you think you are right.
You are wrong again maam.
<wink>

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#92245 Dec 31, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
But not driving a Bucatti, ferrari or lamborghini they are top of the range stuff, a corvette is a poor mans sports car....The reason most men aim for these high performance vehicles (usually in their old age) seems ovious to all....poor performance in other areas requires great performance vehicles to detract from it...<quoted text>
Incorrect.
Men buy those hot rods simply because it is fun to go fast, and one feels alive and in control of their own life when doing that.
Yes indeed! I owned a 454 c.i. corvette when I lived in Texas before they started to enforce Nixon's federal speed limit BS.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#92246 Dec 31, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
But not driving a Bucatti, ferrari or lamborghini they are top of the range stuff, a corvette is a poor mans sports car....The reason most men aim for these high performance vehicles (usually in their old age) seems ovious to all....poor performance in other areas requires great performance vehicles to detract from it...<quoted text>
Incorrect.
Men buy those hot rods simply because it is fun to go fast, and one feels alive and in control of their own life when doing that.
You'll never admit when you are wrong. You are so stubborn. Typical man.

Aren't you always in control of your own life?

I know someone who thought it was fun to go fast in his stupid, ugly Corvette. He ended up in prison for a while for killing an innocent person. Seems he didn't like prison too much. Came out a broken man. So much for men trying to feel alive. How about your wife? Doesn't she make you feel alive, or does it take a car to do that? Hmm.

Location hidden

#92247 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how you slice and dice it~you are still a cold man, dear.
No, I don't take it as a personal attack. I consider the source. No hard feelings.
You assume and conclude things, with facts not in evidence maam.

You ONLY see me being that "cold man" when the issue at hand demands that from me.

This is a "hot issue", but the truths and realities of natural law contained in this issue, are cold facts maam. They deal in life and death, and that fact is a cold hard one maam.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#92248 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are asking for too much.
When I say something, just assume I am right. I do.
"When I say something, just assume I am right. I do."

We know you assume it...but we also know you are wrong...like your reference to me being from Arkansas...have you really figured that out yet...?

I'm glad you didn't get lost going to bed.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#92249 Dec 31, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no assumption to be made in that regard. I am NOT assuming you think you are right. I am convinced that you think you are right.
You are wrong again maam.
<wink>
Stubborn man. It's not always black or white. I think all that cold air has done damage to your brain. Why would anyone live in WY? Y?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#92250 Dec 31, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeed! I owned a 454 c.i. corvette when I lived in Texas before they started to enforce Nixon's federal speed limit BS.
Even Teaman was looking for love in all the wrong places.

Location hidden

#92251 Dec 31, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mate.. feels bad to lose does it?
Americans are such sore losers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
<quoted text>
Yes Edward, Americans are sore losers. We hate to lose, as verses your and your countrymen's position of being good little losers and staying in your place. We, as in we the people, prefer to win.
Tis the fool and ultimate loser, that attempts to ridicule another because they hate to lose.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Eddie Kelly is right...
That's what I said dear.
What did you think that the following means anyway?

"Yes Edward, Americans are sore losers."

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#92252 Dec 31, 2012
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Americans in Oz years ago objected very strongly to being called Yanks and were quite cranky about it, but as soon as they realised we were going to call them all that regardless, they pulled their horns in and tolerated it. Aussies shorten everything and turn it inside out, so if 'Yank' hadn't come about, it could have ended up being much worse.
Being an irreverent lot, we don't really much care whether you Yanks like it or not. <:)
We get called Skips and Convicts, and people think they're insulting us... we happen to like it.
I was only having a go at Aho's refusal to believe that Aussies called pigs "razorbacks", because she said it was an Americanism and wasn't used in Australia... but of course it is.
We were all having a play before when you all were sleeping, now you all are back I suppose it's down to serious business and the thread topic again. lol
I've heard of convict, but never heard the term skip, whatever that is supposed to mean.

I suppose we've come to like the term yank. It's in a lot of american songs. WW1 song for instance, Over There.(The yanks are coming)

A lot of Irish settled in the south after the civil war. They were referred to as Yankees which gave them a form of acceptance in a weird sort of way. Up north it was Irish need not apply.

It's good to have "a Play" once in a while.

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#92253 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text> Yous is plural for you.
Haughty much?
lol..... hahahahahaaaaa..... sorry but I really am laughing... gotta breathe gotta breathe gotta take a breath..... lol

Ahhhh Little Fish, you are too precious to be living in this nasty world. I give up, if you're happy to use yous (hahaha) then you should use yous...... lol

It's slang darling, but that's ok - Aussies are the greatest slangers and ruiners of the English language of all time... when we want to be. I was only having a go at you, and you bit, Little Fishy.

But here, you might want to edumacate yourself...

Informal plural forms:

Because you is both singular and plural, people speaking various English dialects have attempted to revive the distinction between a singular and plural you by using slang to avoid confusion between the two uses. Examples of informal plurals sometimes seen and heard are:

* y'all, or you all - southern United States[1] and African American Vernacular English
* you guys - U.S.,[2] particularly in the Midwest, Northeast, and West Coast; Canada, Australia. Used regardless of the genders of those referred to
* you lot - UK[3]
* yous(e)- Ireland,[4] Tyneside,[5] Merseyside,[6] Central Scotland[7]
* youse guys - in the U.S., particularly in New York City region, Philadelphia, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; also spelt without the E
* you-uns/yinz - Western Pennsylvania, The Appalachians[citation needed]
* ye/yee/yees - Ireland,[8] Tyneside[9]

Although these plurals are used in daily speech, they are generally not considered acceptable in Standard English, nor in formal writing situations.
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#92254 Dec 31, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You say the guns come across the mexican border into America....the truth is a different story the mexican cartels are getting thier guns from America!!!!!....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/18/mexi...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/08/u...
http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06...
It is stated that 90% of gun that end up in the hands of the Mexican cartels come via yankeeland...though this cannot be supported fully becaue of unreadable serial numbers of a good many of the guns they have investigated that were used in incidents, murders etc.......so the ammount of guns unacounted for in the hands of the cartels from America is anyone's guess but coming from America they certainly are.......
More evidence of American involvement in gun running to Mexico...
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/mexican-mormon...
Got to love you delusional yanks. What there were WMDs in Irag...they just havent found them yet....ROTFLMAO. Go back to sleep you drongo!
That 90% figure is a joke. The Mexican drug cartels have vast amounts of automatic weapons and they certainly don't get them here.

Location hidden

#92255 Dec 31, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll never admit when you are wrong. You are so stubborn. Typical man.
Aren't you always in control of your own life?
I know someone who thought it was fun to go fast in his stupid, ugly Corvette. He ended up in prison for a while for killing an innocent person. Seems he didn't like prison too much. Came out a broken man. So much for men trying to feel alive. How about your wife? Doesn't she make you feel alive, or does it take a car to do that? Hmm.
Damn woman, I admit when I can BE PROVEN to be wrong.

Tis the PROOF of my being wrong that you lack in your attempt to paint me.

"Aren't you always in control of your own life?"
"always"?
NOPE !!!

Let's assume for a moment that you get your way and the "law" written by men comes into being that states the citizen has no "right" to employ weapons in their own self defense. Then, an armed thug points his weapion at me and demands something from me or he will shoot me. Am I in control of my own life then?

Let's assume for a moment that you do not get your way, and I am unarmed simply because I forgot to holster my arm before going outside. then an armed thug points his weapon at me and demands something from me or he will shoot me. Am I in control of my own life then?
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#92256 Dec 31, 2012
The 90% guns from US to Mexico myth

"According to the GAO report, some 30,000 firearms were seized from criminals by Mexican authorities in 2008. Of these 30,000 firearms, information pertaining to 7,200 of them (24 percent) was submitted to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for tracing. Of these 7,200 guns, only about 4,000 could be traced by the ATF, and of these 4,000, some 3,480 (87 percent) were shown to have come from the United States.

This means that the 87 percent figure relates to the number of weapons submitted by the Mexican government to the ATF that could be successfully traced and not from the total number of weapons seized by Mexican authorities or even from the total number of weapons submitted to the ATF for tracing. In fact, the 3,480 guns positively traced to the United States equals less than 12 percent of the total arms seized in Mexico in 2008 and less than 48 percent of all those submitted by the Mexican government to the ATF for tracing. This means that almost 90 percent of the guns seized in Mexico in 2008 were NOT traced back to the United States."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reactions to Trump's statement on violence in V... 4 min Retribution 284
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min russianrepukes 285,720
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... 5 min tonya 83
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 5 min Monica Scaramucci 24,627
News McConnell Has Most to Lose In Alabama's Special... 7 min Christsharians on... 3
News Why Hire More Border Patrol When Illegal Immigr... 9 min Truthseeker 23
News Why are people still racist? What science says ... 10 min Christsharians on... 24
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min sonicfilter 1,579,366
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 20 min Eagle 1,155
More from around the web