It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103296 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91714 Dec 30, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is very clear and they got it right...dispite your unsupported opinion saying otherwise.
I can read and its meaning is quite clear .
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#91715 Dec 30, 2012
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
wow - promote the use of silencers ,!!! good grief where does it end
Besides the benefit in preventing hearing loss, "sound suppressors reduce recoil and muzzle rise. This contributes to better accuracy by reducing the shooter’s tendency to anticipate recoil or “flinch,” thus maintaining a consistent hold on the target through the shot. Suppressor use also reduces the muzzle rise of a firearm, making it possible for the shooter to “stay on target,” call hits or misses, and follow up with secondary shots more quickly."

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91716 Dec 30, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
So...? Until such time as that "weapon" is actually USED as a weapon against another person...it's just a "tool" used to expell a bullet at a high rate of speed at an intended target. Still legal to own, carry and use.
oh thats just hypocritical and disingenuous semantics - we all know that .
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#91717 Dec 30, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Already asked and answered, YOU EFFING BITCH!
Here, once again:
"The second amendment contains a number of ideas:
(1) a well-regulated militia;
(2) the security of a free state; and
(3) two separate rights of the people that may not be infringed--the right to keep arms; and the right to bear arms.
The statement of one purpose behind the right to arms does not limit the broader rights protected.[4] Chief Justice John Marshall admonished that the Constitution cannot take on the "prolixity of a legal code....[O]nly its great outlines should be marked...."[5] Also, the conditions and circumstances of the period require a finding that while the stated purpose of the right to arms was to secure a well-regulated militia, the right to self-defense was assumed by the Framers.[6](p.67)"It is never to be forgotten that, in the construction of the language of the Constitution ..., as indeed in all other instances where construction becomes necessary, we are to place ourselves as nearly as possible in the condition of the men who framed that instrument."[7] Thus courts must liberally construe the protections of the Bill of Rights to carry out the Framers' intent.[8]"
ONE MORE TIME:
"Chief Justice John Marshall admonished that the Constitution cannot take on the "prolixity of a legal code....[O]nly its great outlines should be marked...."[5] Also, the conditions and circumstances of the period require a finding that while the stated purpose of the right to arms was to secure a well-regulated militia, the right to self-defense was assumed by the Framers.[6](p.67)"
YOU EFFING SLUT!
Assumed? Is that supposed to be a joke?
You really need to stop calling your mother filthy names. She doesn't deserve it.
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#91718 Dec 30, 2012
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
It is infringed you moron.. you cant own a sidewinder misile.. cant own a nuclear warhead, cant own a RPG, cant own a fully armed Hornet, cant own an M1 tank...
Thats pretty infringed...
What do you need an assault rifle for?
I reckon its little dick syndrome.. the bigger the gun the smaller the dick
The .223 cal bullet used in an AR 15 has a smaller diameter than bullets used for deer hunting so using your argument, AR 15 owners must be well endowed.

Since: Dec 12

Kensington, Australia

#91719 Dec 30, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>Tanks and sidewinder missiles were never considered 'arms' for 2nd Amendment purpose. An assault rifle would fit the definition though no mass shooter in this nation ever used a genuine assault rifle. Many used semi automatic knockoffs which is like saying a Volkswagen is the same as a Lamborghini
did i say it was used in a mass shooting?

would you prefer to wait until one was used to kill a few dozen?

nutter

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#91720 Dec 30, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
So...? Until such time as that "weapon" is actually USED as a weapon against another person...it's just a "tool" used to expell a bullet at a high rate of speed at an intended target. Still legal to own, carry and use.
Nope

A weapon is a weapon

--AND

You're the "tool".
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#91722 Dec 30, 2012
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--If
You were less inclined to excessive mental masturbation.
You'd realize...
The Courts are institutions which do not exist within a vacuum nor are those presiding over them, automatons.
--YOU
Need to learn to think BEYOND the moment, "Marauder".
Oh please...stop trying to project your inadequacies on me...I guess that's all your capable of yourself...considering.

"Need to learn to think BEYOND the moment,"

I have, handed down a few of my guns to my kids...the 12 yr old just got his Ruger 10/22 for Christmas. Imagine that...from one gun owner comes 5 more.

Isn't America great...where we can freely exercise our individual, Constitutionally protected rights...?...even you...which I support.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#91723 Dec 30, 2012
ill play games too wrote:
<quoted text>
Most gun grabbers would love to execute every political opponent in their way IF they could get away with it.
The gun grabbers (as you call them), are peaceful people. They don't believe in execution. We leave that up to the gun lovers.

Gun lovers love their guns because they can't get a woman to love them. Sad. They turn to their guns for affection. Must be cold and lonely. Sad.
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#91724 Dec 30, 2012
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly
It's FEAR
They FEAR their neighbors
They FEAR their co-workers
They FEAR the people who don't "look" like them
They FEAR the people who don't "think" like them
They even FEAR their own government
They won't admit to these FEARS because..... Well, they FEAR that too.

Gun grabbing idiots who would rather see law abiding citizens at the mercy of violent criminals are to be feared much more than any of my armed neighbors.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#91725 Dec 30, 2012
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care where you're NOT from
You're simply not that important to me
--BUT
You'd better dust off that old high school Spanish book of your's
--CUZ
"Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.
Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win
Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'."
--AND
Self absorbed, scary conservative white people ARE NOT high on their priority list.
Know what I mean?
"You'd better dust off that old high school Spanish book of your's..."

Why...? Don't have one...don't need one.

"Self absorbed, scary conservative white people ARE NOT high on their priority list.
Know what I mean?"

"...their priority list..."...and just who might "their" be...?
downhill246

Taylor, TX

#91726 Dec 30, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun grabbers (as you call them), are peaceful people. They don't believe in execution. We leave that up to the gun lovers.
Gun lovers love their guns because they can't get a woman to love them. Sad. They turn to their guns for affection. Must be cold and lonely. Sad.
Sounds like pure liberal psycho babble. I believe about 25 percent of ccw permit holders in Florida are women and many others are retired military.

Cannington, Australia

#91727 Dec 30, 2012
hey stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
The right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT INFRINGED
Yes, stupid, it is quite clear
and ........." The Second Amendment says access to these weapons must be "strictly regulated."
EDWARD SMELLY

United States

#91728 Dec 30, 2012
Empathica wrote:
<quote>
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
You should look at that again, and stop criticizing what you don't understand, emptyheadica.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#91729 Dec 30, 2012
toyota is trash wrote:
<quoted text>
No they didn't. How come you never see 30-40-50 year old Japanese cars on the roads?
And pickup trucks? American trucks are far superior, look at Toyota and the frame rot recalls. toyota trucks breaking IN HALF - japanese trucks!
Notice vehicles that get abused - work trucks - are almost always Chevy, GMC, or Ford
Why no old Japanese cars on the roads? Either we didn't import them or they weren't making them.
My Japanese car is 12 1/2 years old and it's in beautiful shape. Just had the brakes replaced and that's about it. Can an American car last that long and still look great? Hell No. American cars are crap.
Ha! Haven't seen ANY Japanese trucks broken in half. Hahahaha.
There is something about the mind-set of American construction workers ~ that they have to buy American brands. I'm not knocking it, but it is a bit bizarre. A lot of them won't go to Europe either. They would rather spend their money here. That's good and bad.
AMERICAN CARS ARE CRAP. DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THEM.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#91730 Dec 30, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun grabbing idiots who would rather see law abiding citizens at the mercy of violent criminals are to be feared much more than any of my armed neighbors.
You are going DOWNHILL, fast.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#91731 Dec 30, 2012
EDWARD KELLY wrote:
<quoted text>
It is infringed you moron.. you cant own a sidewinder misile.. cant own a nuclear warhead, cant own a RPG, cant own a fully armed Hornet, cant own an M1 tank...
Thats pretty infringed...
What do you need an assault rifle for?
I reckon its little dick syndrome.. the bigger the gun the smaller the dick
"It is infringed you moron.. you cant own a sidewinder misile.. cant own a nuclear warhead, cant own a RPG, cant own a fully armed Hornet, cant own an M1 tank..."

Those are not considered "arms" as refered to in the 2nd Amendment. Can you show where anyone has made the argument in a court of law that said their rights were "infringed" because of that...?

"Thats pretty infringed..."

Not in that context.

"I reckon its little dick syndrome.. the bigger the gun the smaller the dick"

I love seeing the little, simple minded, "frustrated control freaks" come out to play. They have nothing to support their opinions...no history...no facts...throw around sexual innuendoes and only project their own inadequacies...tsk...tsk...tsk .

Cannington, Australia

#91732 Dec 30, 2012
The government will be introducing a bill to support the ban on high capacity magazines'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/high...

No word from the Republican....

They should also ban those like the NRA from avertising or promoting guns....
EDWARD KELLY

United States

#91733 Dec 30, 2012
A recen survey of prisoners and felons showed overwhelming support of disarming citizens. 97% of rapists support gun bans.

Let's give the criminals a safe working environment, folks.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#91734 Dec 30, 2012
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
actually the meaning of the second amendment is quite clear despite what the rightwing stacked court said - they really bent over backwards for the gun corporations and gunnuts - they actually made an ass of themselves and the law -
What part of UNANIMOUS do you not understand??? They UNANIMOUSLY opined that the right to keep and bear arms is an INDIVIDUAL right.

Try again libtard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min Toxic Repub Toxins 6,758
News James Comey fired as FBI director 2 min Erl 3,873
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min RussianrepubliCONS 274,321
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min NotSoDivineMsM 241,545
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,548,054
News Hundreds Of Scientists Urge Trump To Pull Out O... 5 min Trump is a joke 767
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 min RiccardoFire 6,802
News Dems say they'll slow Senate work over secretiv... 50 min Red Crosse 191
News POLL: Americans Trust James Comey Over Trump 1 hr Trumpsajoke 489
More from around the web