It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84354 Dec 10, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
In the realm of military thinking. If one woman can make a baby in nine months, nine women could make a baby in one month.:-)
It's funny that you just happen to mention a baby. I had a dream last night that I was taking care of a baby and I didn't have diapers, so I used a cold pack as a diaper and the baby TOLD me the cold pack hurts. Duh? I felt really bad. Then I woke up. I was so glad I didn't have a baby! I've paid my dues.
Strange dream...
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84355 Dec 10, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called an educated guess, made on the available data.
You should try them once in a while.
And I bet you Wine all the time.
Foiled again! I think my last glass of wine was in July.??? Maybe One since then. Ain't no alcoholic.

So much for wineing.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84356 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was last week. On two different occasions you posted the same thing twice with a little bit of tweaking. Thought you were into the sauce in a big way. Were you?
What killed Abe Lincoln?
What killed JFK?
Ideology
and
Ideology

Or two losers who wanted to make a name for themselves.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84357 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You would take a bow and arrow to a gun fight IF that was all you had. Duh..
Indians didn't have lice shampoo. Didn't need it. They ate the lice and it was so tasty.
Wait. Lice shampoo vs large knife? I would throw the lice shampoo into his eyes and that would be the end of him. I would grab the knife and put it in the dishwasher, clean it and use it for slicing things to eat. Hope it's a bread knife. I need one of those.
M1 Abrams tank? Possible Christmas present. Don't you think?
If you take a bow and arrow to a gun fight then you would die like they did. You do read history books don't you? You would throw lice shampoo in an attackers eyes? Just how do you plan on getting him to hold still while you do this?
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84358 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
armed
[ahrmd] Show IPA
adjective
1.
bearing firearms; having weapons: a heavily armed patrol.
2.
maintained by arms: armed peace.
3.
involving the use of weapons: armed conflict.
4.
equipped: The students came armed with their pocket calculators.
5.
(especially of an animal) covered protectively, as by a shell.
Yes, in fact it would be considered "armed". Not being the one that is superior in what you are armed with no less still means you are "armed".
So if you are attacked having a calculator would mean you are armed and can defend yourself with it? I have never seen a bank robber use a calculator. As I said before armed is direct relation to the threat be it a european with a gun or a math test. People on here argue Trayvon was armed, Trayvon was not armed. NOT ARMED -- But he had fists and caused harm to another with those fists. ARMED -- But he had no chance of winning a confrontation with a gun so how could that be armed? According to you he had fists so there fore he was armed and used his weapon first allowing under the law George to use deadly force in defense.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84359 Dec 10, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Ideology
and
Ideology
Or two losers who wanted to make a name for themselves.
Iced tea,

Ah......no.

That would be a gun for Abe and a rifle for JFK.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84360 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> If you take a bow and arrow to a gun fight then you would die like they did. You do read history books don't you? You would throw lice shampoo in an attackers eyes? Just how do you plan on getting him to hold still while you do this?
You can kill someone with an arrow before someone shoots you. You could throw a tomahawk before they could shoot you. Especially if they were to shoot and miss. Many of the men in the military at that time had NO training. Fair amount of military came to US to escape wars in their own countries only to end up fighting and/or dying here.

I would throw the shampoo in his face whilst he stood there glaring at me. The hand is quicker than the eye.

History books. I like history ~ it is good. Looking forward to watching the Civil War on DVD. Can anyone answer this? Whilst the north and the south were fighting. Did either side mutilate the dying or dead bodies? Would like to know.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#84361 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah well. Rudd picked Gillard as his running mate. Will he concede that he was wrong in picking her? No, he's too PC. I get the creeps when I think of him. Nasty man.

A: Wrong Labor picked Gillard as Rudds second in command, he complied as would be expected of a party faithful.

WW2? We Americans would blame the Japanese. Yes, they did the evil deed that got us into that war and they paid a very high price in the end.

A: So I thought you said you shouldn't blame others!...mmmmmm!

What is a faulty breast implant? I just heard from someone in the know that breast implants have come a very long way and..........let's just say they have improved greatly. Thinking about a pair?

A: Nothing about me is false fish...and you must have heard about the damage and deaths caused by faulty breast implants...unless you live in a cave....methinks you might.

Holocaust? Who would you blame?

I would blame the inventor of hate mongering that led to the murder of so many innocent victims.....
Thelodomite? What is that?

A: Oh....Thalidomide, my bad......http://en.wikipedia.o rg/wiki/Thalidomide

You get to pick and choose. It's a fair way of doing that to prevent jealousy.

A: No you don't there is either someone to blame or there isn't...

Read a local magazine today and it said Philadelphia has some of the fattest people in the country. Yay! We are almost #1! hip/hip. I am proud to live in the suburbs of Philly, mate. Think I'll have another cheesesteak. Just finished two of them. Growing girl.

A: Pound it down porky...

Why do you like Rudd?

A: Because he defeated Howard....and in this country after Howard signed us up for a war, lied about children overboard affair, and used scaremongering tactics to sell his lies.....who woudn't.
Anything else?

Nope that about covers it.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84362 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can kill someone with an arrow before someone shoots you. You could throw a tomahawk before they could shoot you. Especially if they were to shoot and miss. Many of the men in the military at that time had NO training. Fair amount of military came to US to escape wars in their own countries only to end up fighting and/or dying here.
I would throw the shampoo in his face whilst he stood there glaring at me. The hand is quicker than the eye.
History books. I like history ~ it is good. Looking forward to watching the Civil War on DVD. Can anyone answer this? Whilst the north and the south were fighting. Did either side mutilate the dying or dead bodies? Would like to know.
Let's see you throw that tomahawk 100 yards or better, or an arrow for that fact. FACT The American Indian was not armed in the since of fighting against an ARMED opponent. They lost because they basically could not defend themselves against an advanced race.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84363 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> So if you are attacked having a calculator would mean you are armed and can defend yourself with it? I have never seen a bank robber use a calculator. As I said before armed is direct relation to the threat be it a european with a gun or a math test. People on here argue Trayvon was armed, Trayvon was not armed. NOT ARMED -- But he had fists and caused harm to another with those fists. ARMED -- But he had no chance of winning a confrontation with a gun so how could that be armed? According to you he had fists so there fore he was armed and used his weapon first allowing under the law George to use deadly force in defense.
Well aren't you just itching for an argument from someone over something? I have never seen an actual bank robber, in person, so I haven't seen one armed with a calculater or anything else for that matter but if someone tried to rob a bank with a calculater I would say they didn't have much chance of getting away with anything. I never said anything about Martin being armed with his fists so that gave George the right to use deadly force in defense. Everyone is armed with fists, doesn't give someone the right to shoot us for it. I suppose the difference would be in what I did with my fists and of course the level of strength and experience I had with using them to harm someone. Yes if I were taking a math test I would go in for the test armed with a calculater, if I went to a gun fight only armed with a calculater I would lose, but that would be because I was "out armed".
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84364 Dec 10, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it a computer I am getting a reaction from? I didn't know computers can talk to humans without human interjection are they fully autonomous now, who am I asking that question of, there is obviously not a human posting as X Obama is it? DOH!
OH, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!! You so funny!

Of course I'm not a computer, I'm human, lol that was sooooo funny, how you did that with the words I posted.....using it to twist around and yet be so literal both at the same time....you, you are good. Yes you are.....funny stuff right there. Are you a comedian? I bet you are, you could be. LOL You made a good funny there A HO!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#84365 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!! You so funny!
Of course I'm not a computer, I'm human, lol that was sooooo funny, how you did that with the words I posted.....using it to twist around and yet be so literal both at the same time....you, you are good. Yes you are.....funny stuff right there. Are you a comedian? I bet you are, you could be. LOL You made a good funny there A HO!
You can't really blame me for that, you pretty much did it to yourself, it was you who gave away the lead into that rebuff so it would have been remiss of me to let it go.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84366 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Iced tea,
Ah......no.
That would be a gun for Abe and a rifle for JFK.
I think they both had a loser attached. When a gun sits in a box it just sits in a box. It can't do anything.

Since: Feb 11

Brandon, UK

#84367 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was last week. On two different occasions you posted the same thing twice with a little bit of tweaking. Thought you were into the sauce in a big way. Were you?
What killed Abe Lincoln?
What killed JFK?
WHAT KILLED ABE LINCOLN ?
WHAT KILLED JFK ?

Just a theory here but I would suggest it was a difference in poitical views with another group of people.

What killed Lord Mountbatten ?, Yes thats it, a difference in political views, NOT that he was personally involved in polotics, but the people that BLEW his boat to pieces with a BOMB were just interested at hitting out at the establishment.

Since: Feb 11

Brandon, UK

#84368 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!! You so funny!
Of course I'm not a computer, I'm human, lol that was sooooo funny, how you did that with the words I posted.....using it to twist around and yet be so literal both at the same time....you, you are good. Yes you are.....funny stuff right there. Are you a comedian? I bet you are, you could be. LOL You made a good funny there A HO!
Seem's to me that Aho in using the comment she does, it would suggest she must agree, that guns do not kill people,,,people kill people.

Since: Feb 11

Brandon, UK

#84369 Dec 10, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't really blame me for that, you pretty much did it to yourself, it was you who gave away the lead into that rebuff so it would have been remiss of me to let it go.
Shot herself in the foot, so to speak.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84370 Dec 10, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT KILLED ABE LINCOLN ?
WHAT KILLED JFK ?
Just a theory here but I would suggest it was a difference in poitical views with another group of people.
What killed Lord Mountbatten ?, Yes thats it, a difference in political views, NOT that he was personally involved in polotics, but the people that BLEW his boat to pieces with a BOMB were just interested at hitting out at the establishment.
She's going to have to Google Lord Mountbatten.:-)

Since: Feb 11

Brandon, UK

#84371 Dec 10, 2012
Adtually Aho, THAT was clever,,,do you play chess ?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84372 Dec 10, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT KILLED ABE LINCOLN ?
WHAT KILLED JFK ?
Massive blood loss, and a sudden reduction in the amount of grey matter in their cranium.
Dr Freud

Finland

#84373 Dec 10, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
She's going to have to Google Lord Mountbatten.:-)
To ensure your Internet security, please do be sure to use Startpage instead of Google, itself which RECORDS your IP address, AND your search terms.
Remember: startpage.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kentucky Governor's Race 2015: Matt Bevin Lies ... 5 min Johnathan D Masters 1
News The Josh Duggar Scandal Edition 6 min Opinion 66
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 15 min Charles Idemi 163,927
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 26 min karl44 7,392
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 33 min RayOne 182,424
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 39 min R12 Freon 2,252
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr momma chamberlin 309,876
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,232,946
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Oriosano Nachos M... 189,892
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 hr -Dont Panic- 328,438
More from around the web