It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 3,950)

Showing posts 78,981 - 79,000 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
agreed

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"... women are the weaker sex ..."
Not exactly. Woman have a higher pain threshold than men. Have you ever borne a child?
The comedian Bill Cosby was once given to remark that he had asked his wife what it was like to give birth, and she replied something to the effect, "Grab hold of your lower lift with both hands, and pull it up over the top of your head!!
;-)
Additionally, women are known to be better shooters than men.
My mother in law is a crack shot .. got a gun for her 21st!(1963)
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Could you please show where their gun factory was? Could you show how the american indian were almost exterminated since they were such good fighters? The bow and arrow are fine at a few yards but no where near the range of a rifle. Maybe you should study history a little better if you even think the indian even had a chance against a more advanced race. They were not armed to handle the modern weapons of the white man.
Indians didn't have a gun factory. They exchanged captives for money and guns. They also stole the guns and rifles from the dead Americans.
The white buffalo hunters were the ones with the modern weapons that shot up to a mile away. One of the reasons they gave up and went to live on reservations.
The indians were great warriors because they were trained early in life to kill other indians and kill the Americans.
The arrow could hit someone more than a few yards away. The indians had a little trick they would use when being shot at. They would lean over and basically hide themselves behind the head of the horse. Something like a million horses were killed.
If an indian died or was killed, they would kill all the horses of the deceased. Superstitious.
Fascinating group of people.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The buffalo were unarmed and didn't shoot back. Thanks for making my point again.
And what was your point, Tracyvon?

The buffalo were unarmed? Probably.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very important to remember that there are two types of cholesterol: LDL, and HDL. The LDL is produced by hydrogenated vegetable oils, margarines, and other oils which should not be used in anything, especially high heat cooking.
With the exception of olive oil, all the other 'modern,' i.e.,'manufactured'/highly processed, cooking oils should be avoided like the plague!
Heating olive oil changes its structure, causing it to lose nutritional content, and may be implicated in adverse health effects in long-term consumption.
The two oils which ARE highly recommended for high heat cooking (such a frying), are red palm oil, and coconut oil. Red palm oil is supreme, tastes great, and is the highest in vitamins A & E. Both these oils are highly nutritious, imparting excellent health benefits.
The importance of HDL cholesterol in the body simply cannot be overstated, because it is absolutely necessary for many bodily processes, and for brain health. A goodly portion of the brain is made of HDL cholesterol, and any attempt to lower ALL cholesterol is asking for trouble big time.
The LDL cholesterol is the one which is responsible for hardening of the arteries (arterial plaque), and the leading cause of both heart attacks and strokes.
The bottom line: If it's not red palm oil, or coconut oil, avoid it like the plague. Use olive oil for low temperature cooking only, of for salad dressings.
Any attempt to lower all cholesterol is asking for trouble big time.

Are you saying, a person shouldn't take a statin?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Bla Bla Bla. The U.S. is still the most powerful superpower the world has ever known and your not.
You always have that to fall back on that because all the other things America is number one at...aren't worth discussing unless you are a mosochist, oops should include super power in that as well.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You always have that to fall back on that because all the other things America is number one at...aren't worth discussing unless you are a mosochist, oops should include super power in that as well.
A. Ho Maniac,

Ha! You outed yourself.

What is a mosochist? Sounds like some sort of bacteria.

Ozziettes should not worry if we are a super power. Just worry about yourself.

You'll have a lot to worry about if Rudd takes over again. You can't believe a word he says. The most insincere person ever. He and his wife should retire to China or someplace.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
A. Ho Maniac,
Ha! You outed yourself.
What is a mosochist? Sounds like some sort of bacteria.
Ozziettes should not worry if we are a super power. Just worry about yourself.
You'll have a lot to worry about if Rudd takes over again. You can't believe a word he says. The most insincere person ever. He and his wife should retire to China or someplace.
There is nothing wrong with Rudd...just the backstabbers he chose to support...

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Wells since women are the weaker sex I doubt men have much to fear.
Weaker doesn't mean less devious or less smart...it means they have a different method of killing a man who pisses them off, and you wouldn't even see it coming as most men think like you do.....women cannot harm men....that is ridiculous...or is it?
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing wrong with Rudd...just the backstabbers he chose to support...
Why are you sticking up for Rudd? He would never stick up for you. That is, unless you were a somebody.
He needs to retire to a banana plantation or something.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, that didn't make a lot of sense did it? Please reread what you wrote and I think you will agree with me.
I would call the police.. Never said THEY shouldn't carry weapons. YOU shouldn't arm yourself. The average citizen should NOT be allowed to carry weapons.
It's not rocket science.
Yep...that should have said "cry"...not "decry".

And you have said MANY times that all guns should be banned. So now you are saying that you wish to live in a police state??? Please feel free to move to the one of your choosing. There are plenty of them on this big blue marble, but this country will NEVER be one of them.
Dr Freud

Lithuania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you sticking up for Rudd? He would never stick up for you. That is, unless you were a somebody.
"He needs to retire to a banana plantation or something."

You too, given your penchant for the police state mentality.
Take Aho with you.
Maybe being closer to your 'favorite fruit' would keep the both of you ever happier?

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I stick up for anyone treated in a way that is dishonest or unfair...and in Rudds case, Gillard and her backstabbing cronies showed bad form, she shouldn't be leader and Labor are only in because they did a deal that is seeing this country go down the pooper tube....well at least they won't be in for much longer in it's own way will be some kind of justice...she has given women in politics a bad name and lowered the standard of politics in this country...that even I thought wasn't even possible.
Dr Freud

Lithuania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I stick up for anyone treated in a way that is dishonest or unfair...and in Rudds case, Gillard and her backstabbing cronies showed bad form, she shouldn't be leader and Labor are only in because they did a deal that is seeing this country go down the pooper tube....well at least they won't be in for much longer in it's own way will be some kind of justice...she has given women in politics a bad name and lowered the standard of politics in this country...that even I thought wasn't even possible.
Do not be forgetting to pay your 'carbon tax,' dearie!

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not be forgetting to pay your 'carbon tax,' dearie!
How can you pay a tax that earnt the government zero dollars you dweeb...or don't you read the propaganda?

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"He needs to retire to a banana plantation or something."
You too, given your penchant for the police state mentality.
Take Aho with you.
Maybe being closer to your 'favorite fruit' would keep the both of you ever happier?
Lithuania today you Fraud.....anyway that is not where you are would be just fine..and I couldn't be in a better place..

Since: Feb 11

March, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be a hypocrite, I can't abide that...you don't use language ok....but at least have the decency to be fair and complain about everyone that does on this site and don't single our the one you are just disagreeing with eh.
That way I might actually take not of what you say.(doubt it, but you never know) and not just think you are a biased mouthpeice for the gun nutters on this site......
How am I a hypocrite ???? show me were I use the language you do.
When another poster mentions their conscience whilst swearing at the same time pet, then I will question them. If you had controlled yourself then it's obvious I would not have remarked on it,,,,it was after all the only comment I made regarding your post,,,show me the bias from an imagined mouthpiece there,,,after all, NO one else seems to care. I understand that the enviroment we find ourselves in can often have an adverse effect on behaviour and language,,however, swearing does nothing to reinforce a point in any debate, and can even make one look weak. Apart from the odd loon that rears it's head here from time to time, I give serious thought to all of the posts,,there are actually some valid points raised from both sides of the debate, yours included. In my humble opinion where you let your self down, is coming across as a yank basher at the same time as trying to make constructive and informed comments.

March, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the information. I had a physical a few weeks ago and had blood work done, but will repeat the blood test in April and she will decide about a statin. Tried Niacin (Niaspan) and had a pretty bad reaction to it. Sigh.
5:41 PM ~ dark/wet/chilly.
I should imagine you have allready done so, but have you looked at your diet and the oils within it,,,seeing a doctor to discover the condition of our bodies from time to time is good, but the information gained can then be taken to a good nutritionist/dietician and utilized,,Im not suggesting you do, but popping pills and putting money in the pockets of drug companies may not be the answer. If unsure of who to go to for advise on any matter,,I ask others and look at the results they achieved,,some times diplomas arent worth the paper their written on.
Dr Freud

Lithuania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Lithuania today you Fraud.....anyway that is not where you are would be just fine..and I couldn't be in a better place..
The PROBLEM for YOU dearie, is that YOU are STUCK in your 'paradise,' whereas I may be wherever I desire, simply by the toss of a 'pair of dice.'
Mobility, my dear, affords me the very greatest degree of latitude.
Now, tomorrow, I'll be back in Finland to visit with another part of my extended family, and from thence it'll be onward to Norway, "The Hall of the Mountain King," once again!

March, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very important to remember that there are two types of cholesterol: LDL, and HDL. The LDL is produced by hydrogenated vegetable oils, margarines, and other oils which should not be used in anything, especially high heat cooking.
With the exception of olive oil, all the other 'modern,' i.e.,'manufactured'/highly processed, cooking oils should be avoided like the plague!
Heating olive oil changes its structure, causing it to lose nutritional content, and may be implicated in adverse health effects in long-term consumption.
The two oils which ARE highly recommended for high heat cooking (such a frying), are red palm oil, and coconut oil. Red palm oil is supreme, tastes great, and is the highest in vitamins A & E. Both these oils are highly nutritious, imparting excellent health benefits.
The importance of HDL cholesterol in the body simply cannot be overstated, because it is absolutely necessary for many bodily processes, and for brain health. A goodly portion of the brain is made of HDL cholesterol, and any attempt to lower ALL cholesterol is asking for trouble big time.
The LDL cholesterol is the one which is responsible for hardening of the arteries (arterial plaque), and the leading cause of both heart attacks and strokes.
The bottom line: If it's not red palm oil, or coconut oil, avoid it like the plague. Use olive oil for low temperature cooking only, of for salad dressings.
Thanks Doc, intersting and helpfull info, I had a feeling you would comment.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
How am I a hypocrite ???? show me were I use the language you do.
When another poster mentions their conscience whilst swearing at the same time pet, then I will question them. If you had controlled yourself then it's obvious I would not have remarked on it,,,,it was after all the only comment I made regarding your post,,,show me the bias from an imagined mouthpiece there,,,after all, NO one else seems to care. I understand that the enviroment we find ourselves in can often have an adverse effect on behaviour and language,,however, swearing does nothing to reinforce a point in any debate, and can even make one look weak. Apart from the odd loon that rears it's head here from time to time, I give serious thought to all of the posts,,there are actually some valid points raised from both sides of the debate, yours included. In my humble opinion where you let your self down, is coming across as a yank basher at the same time as trying to make constructive and informed comments.
Now you are a hypocrite and an idiot....I clearly state and I quote..." you don't use the language ok" what's it like to have to have mud on your face because you failed to read the message in full?
You are a hypocrite because I don't see you whinging about all the others that have used language or sexist remarks on this site which if you were fair you would do that, so that clearly makes you a BIASED hipocrite....I bash yanks because they deserve a bashing....if they can dish it out they should have the coglione's to take it....else they are just hypocrite's as well.....You might give thought to all the post but you certainly aren't free of bias or ganging up.....Who needs to be told they are a good little boy then to make himself feel loved and accepted....arachnid does.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,981 - 79,000 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the US News Forum right now

Search the US News Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Charles Idemi 112,026
Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 14 min fubar 21,180
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min brad 144,997
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 22 min Quirky 240,565
Court favors disclosing anti-gay marriage donors 23 min KiMare 1,583
US condemns 'heinous murder' of Palestinian teen 33 min Mandela 473
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 51 min Brian_G 31,871
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Grey Ghost 1,073,281
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 50,854