It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84111 Dec 8, 2012
Looks like Tracyvon might eat her own words.

Smiling.

Since: Feb 11

Ely, UK

#84112 Dec 8, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
The town of Derby Line straddles the US/Canada border. The border passes right through the town, even through some buildings and homes. In some cases, a family at home cooks its meals in one country and eats them in the other. Derby Line is also home to the Haskell Free Library and Opera House, which was purposely built on the border. The opera stage is in Canada, but the entrance to the opera, and most of the stage seats, are in the United States. Because the building straddles the border, it has two mailing addresses, one for the US and one for Canada.
This is just one of several examples of such places that do indeed sit on more than one state or in this case country even.
Take time to look up "unusual borders" and you'll find plenty more. It helps to remember that all state lines, as with county, city, etc., are nothing more than an imaginary lines.
So would I be correct in thinking that the law, technically could be different, in various parts of the same building.

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#84113 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's taking a long time to wade through this s....tuff.
That woman (nurse) would be alive today if the Auzzie's hadn't embarrassed her. She comes from a culture where they feel shame and if they feel shame they will kill themselves.
SHE WOULD BE ALIVE TODAY. Tragedy.
Shame on you Auzzie's and your sick sense of humor.
Shaking head and frowning.
You guys need to clean up your act. Today would be a good day to start!
Get lost!
I have nothing to clean up, nor does the rest of Australia.
You're obviously too feeble minded to understand that, you don't know she'd still be alive, as usual you're just guessing.
Shake your head & frown all you want, you're a fool, the problem is yours, not ours.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84114 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the undertaker be removing bones,,did he own a dog :-).
18:27 pm No point in looking out the window, it's dark.
Very funny!

He might have owned a dog. The show didn't say anything about a dog.

He sold the bones/kidneys/liver etc for big money.

There is big money to be made selling body parts. If the person who dies agrees ~ that's fine, but otherwise its a terrible thing to do to a dead person. No respect. My 2 cents

Ely, UK

#84115 Dec 8, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're obviously too feeble minded to understand that, you don't know she'd still be alive, as usual you're just guessing.
Shake your head & frown all you want, you're a fool, the problem is yours, not ours.
Actually the fault lies with security,,,normally where royals are concerned any enquiries or calls go through a police officer, someone slipped up HERE in the UK.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84116 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
So would I be correct in thinking that the law, technically could be different, in various parts of the same building.
If you would like ~ I could find out the answer to that.

5:08 PM Mild, dark, but if I look out the window my neighbor across the street has a huge lit/lighted star on her barn/house. Looks really cool.

Ely, UK

#84117 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very funny!
He might have owned a dog. The show didn't say anything about a dog.
He sold the bones/kidneys/liver etc for big money.
There is big money to be made selling body parts. If the person who dies agrees ~ that's fine, but otherwise its a terrible thing to do to a dead person. No respect. My 2 cents
Okay,,I am intrigued, the selling of organs I understand, but what did they do with the bones ????.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84118 Dec 8, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ornery dear.
APATHETIC much?

That's right ~ look the other way and try to blame an innocent person.

Do you find it to be a coincidence? Does that make you feel better?

Not feeble minded ~ yet.

Auzzie's are a cocky bunch.

Still frowning and shaking my head.

Auzzie's go home.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84119 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay,,I am intrigued, the selling of organs I understand, but what did they do with the bones ????.
Did you ask that before?

Sorry.

The bones? Scratching head. Maybe they pulverize them and use it for .....?????

It happened to a well known author and his daughter found out about it and raised holy hell. Can't remember who the author was. Can't imagine how she found out.

Ely, UK

#84120 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would like ~ I could find out the answer to that.
5:08 PM Mild, dark, but if I look out the window my neighbor across the street has a huge lit/lighted star on her barn/house. Looks really cool.
Yes,,if you could find the answer it would be interesting,,I have'nt as yet disscovered the same thing here, but that's not to say it does'nt exit,,,England Scotland maybe.

My neighbour has gone overboard, lights everwhere and huge inflatable snowman and father christmas, he is raising money for charity.

22:27 pm still no moon, so very dark apart from glow at neighbours home, even colder now.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84123 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm,,Teaman seems to have cleared things up, however as I am now intrigued, I will attempt to find out were this house is or was.
21:14 Dark, no moon, cold.
I was watching a show on the History channel named How the States Were Made. Interesting show. On one show they had a bar/tavern situated on a state line, one state being dry and the other wet (alcohol laws). One couldn't bring his drink to the part of the building where the men's room was located as it was in the dry state part of the building.:-)

respect for anyone...

#84124 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ornery dear.
APATHETIC much?
That's right ~ look the other way and try to blame an innocent person.
Do you find it to be a coincidence? Does that make you feel better?
Not feeble minded ~ yet.
Auzzie's are a cocky bunch.
Still frowning and shaking my head.
Auzzie's go home.
When it comes to blame there's only one person responsible for making the decision to end her own life, the nurse.
And I've still not heard or seen any official confirmation that she did do that, as far as I know it's still only 'suspected'.

Why should I get all upset about someone on the other side of the planet losing their life?
What's done is done, there's nothing I can do about it.
But the feeble minded such as yourself are quick to blame all Australians for the actions of two morons who managed to pull off a stupid prank.
Exactly like you blame all guns for the actions of a few morons in control of guns when bad things happen.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84125 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
A Jersey guy born in Texass.
I don't know. I don't think I belong in the Peoples Republic of NJ.
Heh! Even the family dog is required to wear a seat belt here.:-(
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84127 Dec 8, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. I don't think I belong in the Peoples Republic of NJ.
Heh! Even the family dog is required to wear a seat belt here.:-(
One of the bad things about NJ is, high school and real estate taxes.

How does one keep a dog in a seat belt?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84128 Dec 8, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
When it comes to blame there's only one person responsible for making the decision to end her own life, the nurse.
And I've still not heard or seen any official confirmation that she did do that, as far as I know it's still only 'suspected'.
Why should I get all upset about someone on the other side of the planet losing their life?
What's done is done, there's nothing I can do about it.
But the feeble minded such as yourself are quick to blame all Australians for the actions of two morons who managed to pull off a stupid prank.
Exactly like you blame all guns for the actions of a few morons in control of guns when bad things happen.
Ornery,

Shaking head.

She committed suicide because she was ashamed of what she did. Your people pushed her over the edge. She couldn't deal with it. Maybe she was going to lose her job and be out on the street. No one would hire her because her name would be mud, so to speak.

No, there is nothing you can or could do, but you sound so apathetic and that's not nice.

Feeble minded. That's not nice. I see a pattern here.

Didn't blame ALL Auzzie's, but I think most of you found it to be funny. Fess up.

The actions of a FEW morons? 9,000 deaths are a FEW?

Learn to roll with the punches. I do.
American Lady

Danville, KY

#84130 Dec 8, 2012
You could say it is crazy talk to suggest Obama doesnít want to bring our fiscal house in order, but I say, based on the evidence, itís much crazier to pretend he has any intention of balancing the budget.

MAKE OBAMA PAY FOR HIS BULLYING TACTICS

This is not a close call, and reasonable people, if they understood the facts, would not support Obama. The problem is that so many people who trust him, inexplicably, look no further than his disingenuous statements and the liberal mediaís slanted reporting. Meanwhile the Republican Party leadership simply cannot seem to get its message across. It would help if they evidenced more faith in the wisdom of their own approach.

This isnít complicated. Our financial problems are overwhelmingly a result of excess spending, not of insufficient tax revenues. Increasing rates or decreasing deductions wonít make a speck of difference, and Obama knows it.

Our $16 trillion national debt and our $100 trillion of unfunded liabilities are going to destroy this nation in relatively short order if we donít take drastic remedial action.

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/07/make-ob...

BrennusBains ē a day ago &#8722;
Obama wants a 'virtual' one-party state and John Boner is accomodating him by screwing conservative house members.

The issue is not the debt ceiling or the budget. It's the Obama 'black reparations disguised as entitlements and taxes' dictatorship.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#84131 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Tracyvon,
Indians didn't have guns and rifles?
Blacks had canoes? If they did ~ it could be considered a navy.
When the Europeans came no the indians didn't have guns or other metal weapons, they had a stick with a rock on it. When they stole or gained firearms on the black market they were outdated or had little if any ammo. A small stick is a weapon when facing a bug, but when facing a large bear you would be considered unarmed.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#84132 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
Looks like Tracyvon might eat her own words.
Smiling.
Would you like a little salt with that?

respect for anyone...

#84133 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ornery,
Shaking head.
She committed suicide because she was ashamed of what she did. Your people pushed her over the edge. She couldn't deal with it. Maybe she was going to lose her job and be out on the street. No one would hire her because her name would be mud, so to speak.
No, there is nothing you can or could do, but you sound so apathetic and that's not nice.
Feeble minded. That's not nice. I see a pattern here.
Didn't blame ALL Auzzie's, but I think most of you found it to be funny. Fess up.
The actions of a FEW morons? 9,000 deaths are a FEW?
Learn to roll with the punches. I do.
You don't know any of that is truth, you know nothing at all about who she was or why she did anything.
You're just speculating, guessing & doing what a few other posters in this thread seem to do consistently, making things up & turning things around to suit your own point of view.

Apathetic or not, it really doesn't concern me, if that's not suited to your view of 'nice' well that's just tuff luck, I'm sure you'll get over it eventually.

You think most Australians found it funny?
Why do you think that?
I think the only ones that found it funny were the 2 morons that did it & their small, narrow-minded band of followers.

9,000, comparing that to the total population & total number of guns within that population it could be argued it's a few.
My point was you blame the guns, not those in charge of them.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84137 Dec 8, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> When the Europeans came no the indians didn't have guns or other metal weapons, they had a stick with a rock on it. When they stole or gained firearms on the black market they were outdated or had little if any ammo. A small stick is a weapon when facing a bug, but when facing a large bear you would be considered unarmed.
Tracyvon,

Their guns were not outdated. A lot of times they were better than what the military had.

You may eat your words now.

Enjoy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min shinningelectr0n 1,250,249
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Dr Guru 191,885
News Let Puerto Rico Go Bankrupt? Maybe. 14 min WalkyTalky 20
News Charleston church shooting coverage criticized ... 14 min PolakPotrafi 392
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 14 min Pietro Armando 60,527
News Kasich Not Invited To Speak At Big Conservative... 16 min SpaceBlues 189
News I'm appealing over immigration fine a Driver sa... 17 min ronnie 1
News Mainstream Right-Wingers, Don't Even Start With... 18 min Your Ex 419
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 27 min Subduction Zone 168,508
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 45 min Agents of Corruption 332,319
More from around the web