It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Feb 11

Sutton, UK

#84100 Dec 8, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there is only one place in the US where four states come together and there is a monument on that spot. Although there are a number of places where buildings are in different jurisdictions or even states, I don't believe there is one that sits on four states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners_Mon...
It is very possible for a building to sit in four jurisdictions.
Thanks once again for the info Teaman, interesting reading. As you point out, if there is only one place that four States meet then it must have been different jurisdictions,,my only excuse is that it is many years since I read the book.

Sutton, UK

#84101 Dec 8, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> "TRACY not TRAYVON" I would not consider a rock on the end of a stick against firearms, swords, among other metal weapons to be armed would you? The indians and blacks had canoes too but I would not call them a navy.
Chuckle.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#84102 Dec 8, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>1. I was never asked that.
2. I have no problem with answering it...obviously.
3. I leave for long periods of time due to having a career, family, and a life...it has nothing to do with questions being asked, lol.
4. "What "unlawful use of force" by Zimmerman was Martin "defending" himself from...?"
he was defending himself from:
a) being accosted by a stranger with a gun.
b) exercising his civil liberties
c) standing his ground.
d) Protecting his right to privacy.
e) Martin felt attacked and in danger.
f) Zimmerman may have attacked first.
Interesting.
The question posed to you, was for you to point out the UNLAWFUL acts of Zimmerman that YOU say Martin was responding to in his own "stand your ground" situation.

Which one of those ridiculous items listed as a, b, c, d, e, f, is an UNLAWFUL act on the part of ZIMMERMAN?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#84103 Dec 8, 2012
Greasy Grass Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>
Ornery,
If you kill animals ~ that would make YOU a murderer.
If you kill an animal ~ you should go to prison.
I will NOT visit you.
GGR
When will you tell the grizzly bear that he is a murderer? Will you have a warrant in hand when you do tell him?
Just wondering.

And, if animals come first and humans come second, why are you still here? You are eating their food and breathing their air.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84104 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would it be a bit of a stretch, is it not possible ?
Zoning? Variances?

Let me think about it.

4:00 PM Yes, still ugly outside.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84105 Dec 8, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> "TRACY not TRAYVON" I would not consider a rock on the end of a stick against firearms, swords, among other metal weapons to be armed would you? The indians and blacks had canoes too but I would not call them a navy.
Tracyvon,

Indians didn't have guns and rifles?

Blacks had canoes? If they did ~ it could be considered a navy.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84106 Dec 8, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
When will you tell the grizzly bear that he is a murderer? Will you have a warrant in hand when you do tell him?
Just wondering.
And, if animals come first and humans come second, why are you still here? You are eating their food and breathing their air.
No, when the grizzly bear kills someone ~ I will not be there and I surely wouldn't have a warrant. I am NOT a police officer. Are you?

I am still here because the Lord hasn't called me home ~ yet.

Yep, I breathe air. I think most people do.

I am NOT eating their food.

Contentious much?

Sutton, UK

#84107 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zoning? Variances?
Let me think about it.
Hmmm,,Teaman seems to have cleared things up, however as I am now intrigued, I will attempt to find out were this house is or was.

21:14 Dark, no moon, cold.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84108 Dec 8, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
So was I. Born in Texas but raised in Europe. What does that make me?
A Jersey guy born in Texass.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84109 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zoning? Variances?
Let me think about it.
The town of Derby Line straddles the US/Canada border. The border passes right through the town, even through some buildings and homes. In some cases, a family at home cooks its meals in one country and eats them in the other. Derby Line is also home to the Haskell Free Library and Opera House, which was purposely built on the border. The opera stage is in Canada, but the entrance to the opera, and most of the stage seats, are in the United States. Because the building straddles the border, it has two mailing addresses, one for the US and one for Canada.

This is just one of several examples of such places that do indeed sit on more than one state or in this case country even.
Take time to look up "unusual borders" and you'll find plenty more. It helps to remember that all state lines, as with county, city, etc., are nothing more than an imaginary lines.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84110 Dec 8, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
At what point in time did evil leave the hearts of powerful men and women?
1913?
1929?
1969?
1984?
At what point in time, between 1776 and 2012, did the basic nature of mankind change?
It is obvious that you have no idea what those founding documents say or mean.
When did evil leave the hearts of powerful men?

It never did.

There are about 100 powerful women ~ worldwide. They are not evil.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84111 Dec 8, 2012
Looks like Tracyvon might eat her own words.

Smiling.

Sutton, UK

#84112 Dec 8, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
The town of Derby Line straddles the US/Canada border. The border passes right through the town, even through some buildings and homes. In some cases, a family at home cooks its meals in one country and eats them in the other. Derby Line is also home to the Haskell Free Library and Opera House, which was purposely built on the border. The opera stage is in Canada, but the entrance to the opera, and most of the stage seats, are in the United States. Because the building straddles the border, it has two mailing addresses, one for the US and one for Canada.
This is just one of several examples of such places that do indeed sit on more than one state or in this case country even.
Take time to look up "unusual borders" and you'll find plenty more. It helps to remember that all state lines, as with county, city, etc., are nothing more than an imaginary lines.
So would I be correct in thinking that the law, technically could be different, in various parts of the same building.

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#84113 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's taking a long time to wade through this s....tuff.
That woman (nurse) would be alive today if the Auzzie's hadn't embarrassed her. She comes from a culture where they feel shame and if they feel shame they will kill themselves.
SHE WOULD BE ALIVE TODAY. Tragedy.
Shame on you Auzzie's and your sick sense of humor.
Shaking head and frowning.
You guys need to clean up your act. Today would be a good day to start!
Get lost!
I have nothing to clean up, nor does the rest of Australia.
You're obviously too feeble minded to understand that, you don't know she'd still be alive, as usual you're just guessing.
Shake your head & frown all you want, you're a fool, the problem is yours, not ours.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84114 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the undertaker be removing bones,,did he own a dog :-).
18:27 pm No point in looking out the window, it's dark.
Very funny!

He might have owned a dog. The show didn't say anything about a dog.

He sold the bones/kidneys/liver etc for big money.

There is big money to be made selling body parts. If the person who dies agrees ~ that's fine, but otherwise its a terrible thing to do to a dead person. No respect. My 2 cents

Sutton, UK

#84115 Dec 8, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're obviously too feeble minded to understand that, you don't know she'd still be alive, as usual you're just guessing.
Shake your head & frown all you want, you're a fool, the problem is yours, not ours.
Actually the fault lies with security,,,normally where royals are concerned any enquiries or calls go through a police officer, someone slipped up HERE in the UK.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84116 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
So would I be correct in thinking that the law, technically could be different, in various parts of the same building.
If you would like ~ I could find out the answer to that.

5:08 PM Mild, dark, but if I look out the window my neighbor across the street has a huge lit/lighted star on her barn/house. Looks really cool.

Sutton, UK

#84117 Dec 8, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very funny!
He might have owned a dog. The show didn't say anything about a dog.
He sold the bones/kidneys/liver etc for big money.
There is big money to be made selling body parts. If the person who dies agrees ~ that's fine, but otherwise its a terrible thing to do to a dead person. No respect. My 2 cents
Okay,,I am intrigued, the selling of organs I understand, but what did they do with the bones ????.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84118 Dec 8, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ornery dear.
APATHETIC much?

That's right ~ look the other way and try to blame an innocent person.

Do you find it to be a coincidence? Does that make you feel better?

Not feeble minded ~ yet.

Auzzie's are a cocky bunch.

Still frowning and shaking my head.

Auzzie's go home.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84119 Dec 8, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay,,I am intrigued, the selling of organs I understand, but what did they do with the bones ????.
Did you ask that before?

Sorry.

The bones? Scratching head. Maybe they pulverize them and use it for .....?????

It happened to a well known author and his daughter found out about it and raised holy hell. Can't remember who the author was. Can't imagine how she found out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 min iamcuriousnow 14,993
News Female candidate quits Kansas race over 2005 ha... 3 min See The Light 12
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 3 min Chilli J 1,362
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min Rider on the Storm 47,207
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min mdbuilder 1,659,245
News Trump accusers call for congressional investiga... 8 min Death on 2 Legs 205
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 10 min Mothra 1,672
News Kentucky reeling from sexual assault, harassmen... 1 hr Retribution 13
News Democrats silent on whether Trump should resign... 2 hr See The Light 73
More from around the web