It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84008 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can word it anyway you want.
The fact is......9,000 people were killed by guns last year. That's 9,000 in ONE year.
Ban criminals? Ban people who own guns. That's a better idea.
Don't understand your mindset.
Do yourself a favor then. The next time you need help...do NOT call 9-1-1. Why?? Because bad men WITH GUNS will show up and want to help you. And since guns are the root of all evil (according to you), we wouldn't want you to have a heart-attack or stroke because a gun is near. Really...it's for your own good.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84009 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I will word it in a way that is factually accurate, thanks.
You should try doing the same. They were not killed BY a gun. they were killed BY a criminal. Period.
Oh, and by the way, over 89 Million gun owners didn't murder anyone last year.
The 89 million gun owners were probably hiding under their beds too afraid to come out.

Repercussions. That's what stopped them.

Cheerio

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#84010 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
This site is used by gun owning bullies that pull the piss out of those who disagree with them...chew the fat, my arse...chew the fat means that there are conversations going on, none of that is happening here.....it is just the few of you and your mates who are ganging up and bullying ...you in particular take the side of people like Frued or Tray even when they are proven wrong which is often simply because of your gang style mentality where none of you use a brain between you.
Jane you ignorant slut, we bash racist bastards like you who just love to restrict rights they don't understand or fear.

If things were up to you, your aborigines would have been exterminated years ago.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#84012 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
Having a gun in your house is irresponsible. You know the reasons why.
Gun Deaths ~~
2011
Japan 11 deaths
Uk 39 deaths
US a staggering 9,000!!!!
Why? Too many yahoo's have guns.
Shame on you ~ American gun owners. Not only are you fearful, but you are violent too.
Gun laws have to change or else I am moving to the UK. The houses etc. in London aren't that expensive. Are they?
Why are you whining that 8500 criminals kill each other every year in the US??

Are you jealous that not enough criminals are killing each other. DC, Chicago and Ca certainly have their fair share.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84013 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
What Australians have done this day, just in case you hadn't heard....the potential to engineer a vacine is now on the cards...think of all the lives this can save.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-07-09/scienti...
I take it you aren't going to post what else Australians have done today.....you know, that nurse/suicide incident. Where's the link Aussie? You know, just in case someone hadn't heard.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#84014 Dec 7, 2012
Patriot wrote:
Anti-Second Amendment Democrat Arrested With Gun at Chicago’s O’Hare
12/06/12
http://www.infowars.com/anti-second-amendment...
NICE!!!

Reminds me of assho, bunny, and illogical.

They are the pigs in Animal Farm, who say "every animal is equal", but some animals are more equal.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#84015 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
9,000 people were murdered by Guns in one year! That is the bottom line. You can moan and groan, but it doesn't change the facts.
Ban guns
Look at the UK and Japan/no guns = no deaths. Very few deaths. Why are the American's so fearful and the rest of the world is not.
Why do you whine abotu 8500 criminals getting killed by other criminals????

Are you related to all of them????

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#84016 Dec 7, 2012
Here's what few people realize.

The homicide rate in the most populated part of the UK, England/Wales, is about the same as for the USA, 10 per 100,000.

But somehow the anti-gun folks believe a person is less dead if not killed with a gun. Go figure!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#84017 Dec 7, 2012
The homicide comparisons between England/Wales and the USA clearly show that if there is a problem it is a violence problem, not a gun problem.

There's a huge disparity in gun homicides between the two places but almost no difference in overall homicide rates. But will say again, if the person is not killed with a gun they are much less dead, so thinks the anti-gun faction.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#84018 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
What Australians have done this day, just in case you hadn't heard....the potential to engineer a vacine is now on the cards...think of all the lives this can save.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-07-09/scienti...
==========
A little late but better late than never.

Professor Kelly Chibale and his colleagues of Cape Town South Africa have discovered a pill that with one dose wipes out malaria in a victim of it.

And of course, malaria was treatable before if done in time.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84019 Dec 7, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you whining that 8500 criminals kill each other every year in the US??
Are you jealous that not enough criminals are killing each other. DC, Chicago and Ca certainly have their fair share.
Judge and Jury?

How do you know there were 8500 criminals who killed each other?

Wineing? I would never do that.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84020 Dec 7, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
The homicide comparisons between England/Wales and the USA clearly show that if there is a problem it is a violence problem, not a gun problem.
There's a huge disparity in gun homicides between the two places but almost no difference in overall homicide rates. But will say again, if the person is not killed with a gun they are much less dead, so thinks the anti-gun faction.
Have you been drinking? You posted basically the same thing twice.

Christmas Cheer?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84021 Dec 7, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you whining that 8500 criminals kill each other every year in the US??
Are you jealous that not enough criminals are killing each other. DC, Chicago and Ca certainly have their fair share.
Dearest Zig,

I know it's the Christmas Season, but could you refrain from posting the same things over and over. You seem to just tweak it a bit.

Bottoms Up!

ps ~ yes, i am jealous. does that make you feel better.....aw, such a sweet boy.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84022 Dec 7, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you whine abotu 8500 criminals getting killed by other criminals????
Are you related to all of them????
Yes, I am related to MOST of them. At least I hope I am.

What happened to your previous avatar? The picture of you in a white dress. I liked that one better.

That dress featured you!
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84023 Dec 7, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
NICE!!!
Reminds me of assho, bunny, and illogical.
They are the pigs in Animal Farm, who say "every animal is equal", but some animals are more equal.
Honey ~ Why do you call me a Pig? Do I snort like one?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84024 Dec 7, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you aren't going to post what else Australians have done today.....you know, that nurse/suicide incident. Where's the link Aussie? You know, just in case someone hadn't heard.
OMG! Did they cure cancer?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84025 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Do yourself a favor then. The next time you need help...do NOT call 9-1-1. Why?? Because bad men WITH GUNS will show up and want to help you. And since guns are the root of all evil (according to you), we wouldn't want you to have a heart-attack or stroke because a gun is near. Really...it's for your own good.
Oh?

Isn't that why we pay taxes?

Maybe I should call the good fairy and she will sprinkle fairy dust on us.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84027 Dec 7, 2012
Oh, must be the weekend and everyone is off.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#84029 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! Bigoted much???
No, Not bigoted, just an honest and accurate observer of the human condition.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#84030 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And ^that^ is nothing but pure PROJECTION, you racist POS.
where have I ever claimed not to be a racist...tell me after 911 that you didn't use racism against bin laden...or his race in genera,l and label all muslims in the same basket...well did you punk?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 2 min UncleJed 4,581
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min moshx 1,480,930
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 19 min replaytime 218,774
News Disabled man tortured by Trump-cursing group br... 20 min huntcoyotes 467
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 21 min USA 14,878
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 23 min Trump your President 3,648
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... (May '16) 24 min Quirky 18,005
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr -Dont Panic- 409,450
News Hillary Clinton won US popular vote by nearly 2... 4 hr Susanm 1,166
More from around the web