It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 3,934)

Showing posts 78,661 - 78,680 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Besara

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
Having a gun in your house is irresponsible. You know the reasons why.
Gun Deaths ~~
Japan 11 deaths
Uk 39 deaths
US a staggering 9,000!!!!
Why? Too many yahoo's have guns.
Shame on you ~ American gun owners. Not only are you fearful, but you are violent too.
Gun laws have to change or else I am moving to the UK. The houses etc. in London aren't that expensive. Are they?
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.ht...

There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually. However these surveys each had their flaws which prompted Dr. Kleck to conduct his own study specifically tailored to estimate the number of DGU's annually.

Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms (text, PDF). Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually.

There is one study, the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which in 1993, estimated 108,000 DGU's annually. Why the huge discrepancy between this survey and fourteen others?

Guess Americans believe in standing up to the aggressor.
the end is near-ish

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

PM Julia Gillard Addresses the End of the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Patriot wrote:
Anti-Second Amendment Democrat Arrested With Gun at Chicago’s O’Hare
12/06/12
http://www.infowars.com/anti-second-amendment...
Good one!
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Thank you for your concern.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Besara wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.ht...
There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually. However these surveys each had their flaws which prompted Dr. Kleck to conduct his own study specifically tailored to estimate the number of DGU's annually.
Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms (text, PDF). Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually.
There is one study, the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which in 1993, estimated 108,000 DGU's annually. Why the huge discrepancy between this survey and fourteen others?
Guess Americans believe in standing up to the aggressor.
9,000 people were murdered by Guns in one year! That is the bottom line. You can moan and groan, but it doesn't change the facts.

Ban guns

Look at the UK and Japan/no guns = no deaths. Very few deaths. Why are the American's so fearful and the rest of the world is not.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
For crying out loud,,you really are DENCE,,,when somebody points out that it is their responsobility to defend their family,,it MEANS that they don't intend to rely on the possible good will of others, unlike you, who appears to be a burden.
I know what it means full well and it is not a meaning people who love apply to looking after ones family....it implies burden the correctness of the word is accountability and blame also incumberancy, obligation, fault, guilt,onus, subjection, culperbility, contract, duty, constraint, charge, care, boundness, authority, answerability, albatross, bound and rap ....most of the meanings are to do with holding the bag so to speak.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Oh god.

X is back, and she's spewing lots of misinformation.

Her brain wouldn't be so fuzzy, if she would take Estrogen. She might become a more interesting person. Sigh. Poor X.

I think I will prescribe Vioxx (rofecoxib) for her to see if that helps. There must be something out there that will help. I think she would do very well on Vioxx. We'll see.

X - Is sneaking around behind my back, because she is afraid of me. My words pierce her heart and soul, and she doesn't like it. She needs to stand up to me and tell it like it is. You wouldn't think that would be so difficult, but in X's case, she's having a hard time doing it.

Aha! Liquid courage! Yes! Just what the dokter ordered.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay,I wont laugh. For me its the quality of sleep, not quantity, we are all different.
Not sure of the exact time difference, but I do know there is about five hours difference between Greenwich London and Miami.
I often find you guys are posting alot when the time here is around 1am-2am or 1pm-3pm, having said that, posts can turn up any old time. Aho keeps some odd hours considering she say's she is from Perth.
Enough spam.
Do you go to Miami?

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your evidence that Zimmerman ever "brandished" a gun???? Just because he had a FL CCP doesn't mean the gun was in his hand or visible at all.
Well let's see, he was driving around in his car when he spotted trayvon, he rang police and got out of the car while still talking to the police on the phone.....then there was a altecation and Trayvon was shot...which sugests that he had the gun on his person when he got out of the car...if he did not then he has not grounds for the stand your ground law because it means that he got away from the "life in danger situation" by being able to get back to his car, and instead of driving away he grabbed his gun turned around and went after trayvon again and shot him which puts the crime as one of premeditation...It's elementary Watson.
Well

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well let's see, he was driving around in his car when he spotted trayvon, he rang police and got out of the car while still talking to the police on the phone.....then there was a altecation and Trayvon was shot...which sugests that he had the gun on his person when he got out of the car...if he did not then he has not grounds for the stand your ground law because it means that he got away from the "life in danger situation" by being able to get back to his car, and instead of driving away he grabbed his gun turned around and went after trayvon again and shot him which puts the crime as one of premeditation...It's elementary Watson.
Clearly you do not understand the definition of "brandished"...

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
So, we have a white African president who went to private school?
You shouldn't be obtuse Teaman it doesn't suit you.....Zimmerman was identifying himself as a white man by the privilage money had assured him, else he would live like most white hispanics ...not in a gated, middle class, predominantly white community, his community (white hispanic) would envy him but class him as a sell out.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Guppy wrote:
Oh god.
X is back, and she's spewing lots of misinformation.
Her brain wouldn't be so fuzzy, if she would take Estrogen. She might become a more interesting person. Sigh. Poor X.
I think I will prescribe Vioxx (rofecoxib) for her to see if that helps. There must be something out there that will help. I think she would do very well on Vioxx. We'll see.
X - Is sneaking around behind my back, because she is afraid of me. My words pierce her heart and soul, and she doesn't like it. She needs to stand up to me and tell it like it is. You wouldn't think that would be so difficult, but in X's case, she's having a hard time doing it.
Aha! Liquid courage! Yes! Just what the dokter ordered.
You should have a Bex and a lie down you sound very frazzled...Your problem is you are of the frail persuasion and should never try to attack someone you don't have the coglione's.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am NOT getting off my tuffet, Little Miss Muffet!
So, in Ozzieland you know all about stand your ground and all the deaths? That's strange. Has it happened twice? I don't consider that a lot of people.
A kook? The hell you say. There is only One Kook, and he lives in your country.
What's wrong with being an ignorant yankee? Damn proud!
Again you show your ignorance by not reseaching the truth....there have been a great many abuses of the stand you ground law....get off your arse and look or forever remain a dumb arse.
The fact that you are damn proud to be a "dumb" yankee just proves my point.....thanks for that you clueless twat.
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have a Bex and a lie down you sound very frazzled...Your problem is you are of the frail persuasion and should never try to attack someone you don't have the coglione's.
Dear A.H.

Why are you sticking up for Madam X? Doesn't she have fingers?

Bex? What is that?

Frazzled? Funny, I don't feel frazzled.

Frail? Semi-frail.

Coglione's? What might they be?

Everyone needs to be their own advocate. Don't hide behind other people.

Maybe X is A.H.? They both have an attitude. Hmm? I wonder.

If Madam X starts taking Vioxx ~ maybe she won't be around much longer. One can dream, can't they?
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you show your ignorance by not reseaching the truth....there have been a great many abuses of the stand you ground law....get off your arse and look or forever remain a dumb arse.
The fact that you are damn proud to be a "dumb" yankee just proves my point.....thanks for that you clueless twat.
A.H.

I really don't care about stand your ground. It's all hogwash anyway.

If I were to Google it ~ why would I have to get off my arse? I can still sit here. Do you stand up to Google? Odd.

Yes, I am proud to be a dumb yankee! You would love to be a yankee too. We already know you are dumb.

I don't know what a clueless twat is. I don't speak like that. We all know you are a guttersnipe. You are a dumb Austrailian guttersnipe who wants to be a yankee. Sorry, it will never happen.

Was there anything else I could help you with?
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

OMG! That was funny...

Especially about standing up to Google.

HaHaHaHaHa!

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear A.H.,
Those initials are fitting.

A: LOL...there is only one initial....and that is "A".....you moron.
You guys fight in ALL the same wars we do. So, you're not so peaceful yourself.

We went to war on Iraq because of the ally thingy....not because we are not peaceful...we were trusting that America woudn't lie to us to get us involved in a war for their own agenda....that was a mistake that has cost the lives of our diggers....a mistake we won't ever allow our government to ever forget(and Howards name is now mud)...because of your lies and our governments ignorance for the first time in our history we became aggressors....

How can you be the worlds super power AND be thick as two bits of wood? What does that make you Austrailians? That's funny.Arrogance~we earned it.

A: Just because you have the money to put towards arms does not make you smart on the contrary...it makes you stupid because you are using those weapons to bully countries.....You have little or no diplomatic skills and if you lose your position to either China or one of the other developed countries you will just have a country of idiots left. Idiocy you own it.

It makes Australia a country that can recognise stupids....in Howards case a little late, but on the hole we are a country of quiet achievment and financially savvy...sucks to be you.

Greed~we do seem to have most of the money, don't we?
You can call us something more intelligent than ~ dumb as dog shite ~ can't you? Is that the Auzzie way? If you can't beat them, call them stupid names. Does that make you feel better? Aw...

A: Not at all. to call you something with more eloquence would be to raise your status of idiocy, that would just give you a false sense of security and hope.

Get out! There is a world outside of the USA? Didn't know that. Most Americans don't like to travel outside of this country because we seem to have it all here. Don't we?
You can run along

A: You might not like to travel outside of your country Physically but you could allow your brain some excercise(computer) and you never have to leave your chair, which would still give rise to you also being called the fattest nation on earth....

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear A.H.
Why are you sticking up for Madam X? Doesn't she have fingers?
Bex? What is that?
Frazzled? Funny, I don't feel frazzled.
Frail? Semi-frail.
Coglione's? What might they be?
Everyone needs to be their own advocate. Don't hide behind other people.
Maybe X is A.H.? They both have an attitude. Hmm? I wonder.
If Madam X starts taking Vioxx ~ maybe she won't be around much longer. One can dream, can't they?
Oh I thought I WAS Madame X...are you telling me I didn't earn that title, that's just bullshit!

coglione's is balls or testicles in Italian...said corrr-lee-own-ees don't forget to roll your r.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't be obtuse Teaman it doesn't suit you.....Zimmerman was identifying himself as a white man by the privilage money had assured him, else he would live like most white hispanics ...not in a gated, middle class, predominantly white community, his community (white hispanic) would envy him but class him as a sell out.
Right! White privilege. Now, who was Travon and his father visiting? A privileged person named Brandy Green maybe?

You have an odd sense of what America is. No dark rich Hispanics here? No privileged black people?
Guppy

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear A.H.,
Those initials are fitting.
A: LOL...there is only one initial....and that is "A".....you moron.
You guys fight in ALL the same wars we do. So, you're not so peaceful yourself.
We went to war on Iraq because of the ally thingy....not because we are not peaceful...we were trusting that America woudn't lie to us to get us involved in a war for their own agenda....that was a mistake that has cost the lives of our diggers....a mistake we won't ever allow our government to ever forget(and Howards name is now mud)...because of your lies and our governments ignorance for the first time in our history we became aggressors....
How can you be the worlds super power AND be thick as two bits of wood? What does that make you Austrailians? That's funny.Arrogance~we earned it.
A: Just because you have the money to put towards arms does not make you smart on the contrary...it makes you stupid because you are using those weapons to bully countries.....You have little or no diplomatic skills and if you lose your position to either China or one of the other developed countries you will just have a country of idiots left. Idiocy you own it.
It makes Australia a country that can recognise stupids....in Howards case a little late, but on the hole we are a country of quiet achievment and financially savvy...sucks to be you.
Greed~we do seem to have most of the money, don't we?
You can call us something more intelligent than ~ dumb as dog shite ~ can't you? Is that the Auzzie way? If you can't beat them, call them stupid names. Does that make you feel better? Aw...
A: Not at all. to call you something with more eloquence would be to raise your status of idiocy, that would just give you a false sense of security and hope.
Get out! There is a world outside of the USA? Didn't know that. Most Americans don't like to travel outside of this country because we seem to have it all here. Don't we?
You can run along
A: You might not like to travel outside of your country Physically but you could allow your brain some excercise(computer) and you never have to leave your chair, which would still give rise to you also being called the fattest nation on earth....
Dear A.H.

Your initials are A.H. Fitting.

You guys went to Iraq because you are brown nosers. When the United States say's Jump. You say how high. You could have checked out what was going on in Iraq instead of being lead about by a leash. No one likes an arse kisser. I think it is called due diligence.

Blaming John Howard? How about Rudd and Gillard? The war continued under them. They are just as guilty as Howard.

Weren't you aggressors in Vietnam? Or were you there for the rice?

If China becomes the world's super power ~ so be it. I don't think that will happen.

Diplomatic skills? How about you? You can't be great at everything. Ha!

Eloquence? Didn't know you had any. You certainly don't act eloquent on here. Do you?

A country of idiots? We both know that's not true. You can't be a super power AND be an idiot, idiot.

The fattest nation in the world. It's good to be #1! Maybe someday you can be #1 in Something.

Financially savvy? You are really into this, aren't you? You are very competitive. You must be insecure. That's ok. Austrailian's have every right to be insecure.

Next time we get ourselves into another war ~ you can say Thanks, but No Thanks. It's not that difficult. Unless, you like to be lead around by your collar. That's another story.

There is No competition. We are #1 and you are not.

Enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,661 - 78,680 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••