It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#77152 Sep 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
... but I am pretty sure the guns help!
You're getting warmer.
Keep trying anushka.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#77153 Sep 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You can compare Australia with America in regard to the treatment of your slaves vs our Aborigini's because neither of us will come out on top there, so remove the speck brother!
Actually I don't see how you can know when I saw the first insult from the gun lovers on this site, you were too busy calling those who disagreed with you all, sluts!
In regards to hurling stones, that is your prehistoric apeish behaviour talking, today we use language, something you have yet to master.
Wrong again Kanagroo.

Most slaves were brought here by the Dutch with full approval and involvement by the British Crown.

The Aborigines were there before the Prisoners were shipped to OZ.

Location hidden

#77154 Sep 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
PSL Dan, tools can cause death but that is not their intended purpose for their invention, like a scapel or a back hoe, these things were designed to aid man in his work, not designed for any other purpose.
Guns on the other hand had a specific purpose in mind when they were invented also, and that was and is to kill, their whole purpose is death whether stored in a cupboard by a responsible gun owner or used by a farmer they have one sole purpose, and that is to cause death.
Uh, nope, you're getting colder now.

Tools can be USED to cause death, but they are wholly incapable of causing it. That action comes from the wielder of the tool, and from ONLY the wielder of the tool.

You are a little confused about this whole "kill" thing washichu. We do not shoot to kill, we shoot to live, be it food or self defense. There is ONLY one way to stay alive and that is to kill and eat of the bounties of this planet. There is none other method that works. It is the law of nature, white eye ... accept it.

There is furthermore this; even in a self defense situation, the goal is to stay alive, not to kill. The attacker has forfeited their life in an ill advised attempt to cause harm or death to another. It is therefore totally and acceptably and understandably allowable to kill them so you may live.
The goal and purpose of the gun in the hand of the peaceful law abiding person, is life, Aussie.
Of that you can be sure.

Location hidden

#77156 Sep 20, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yank, Aussie, Japanese, Chinaman or the crew that hangs around the north side of Iceland.
Who gives a shit idiot?
Gaaaawd damn son.....LOL!!!
Uh Danny, Aho's a Sheila, not a Sam.

Location hidden

#77157 Sep 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Contraire! you are just another fool that has entered an unwinable argument.
It's au contraire, washichu.
You are the one who thinks this unwinable, and rightly so ... you're on the losing side.
<smile>

Location hidden

#77158 Sep 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it with you people, a hammer was not designed to kill and unless the guy breaking into your house can move as fast as superman he won't be killing as many people as fast with that hammer(and you would stand a better chance than if he had a gun) as he would with a gun.
And if you had a gun and he had a bigger faster firing gun with more bullets in it, you wouldn't stand a chance either, or maybe a hand grenade, you are ridiculous, and your arguments are ridiculous.
What a tool was originally designed for is irrelevant.
White out was not originally designed for correcting mistakes on paper. It was adapted from a painting contractor, painting a sign and he made a mistake so he painted over it and rewrote it. An ofice secretary saw him do that and ... BINGO ... simple sign paint became white out for writing mistakes on paper, and she retired as a secretary and now has many of them working for her.
Even white out can be misused ... just like a gun.

Location hidden

#77159 Sep 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Gung ho! exactly the response you expect from a gun supporter.
it's a free world and aren't the yanks high on spouting about freedom and democracy, would you now deny me the right to walk down the street without without getting shot, but also my democratic right to free speach! LOL You're a joke!
There is no such thing as a right to walk down any street without getting shot. It is certainly a reasonable expectation, but it most definitely NOT a right.
Hell Aussie, none of us Yanks here would shoot you hunny bunch, unless of course you were becoming a real Aho on that street.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#77160 Sep 20, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never purchase anything without checking it over, and certainly not were it could cost me my life.
With a little TLC a quality tool can last a lifetime.
Junk is manufactured because some folks are willing to buy it.
No argument here. Just some people can't afford a BMW and must settle for a Geo. Just realize it's a Geo and not a BMW. Some can't afford a Glock and must settle for a HIPOINT. Just realize that HIPOINT is not a Glock. I don't settle when it comes to self defense but I believe all are entitled to it no matter income status. There are very few brands I haven't worked on so yes even the Glocks can wear and break parts, I should know I've made pretty good money fixing them.

Since: Dec 10

Adelaide, Australia

#77161 Sep 20, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tottenham supporters are refered to as Yids, the name came about because of the high number of Jewish people living in that part of Tottenham, this was all long before the hooligan supporters known as the Yid Army. How does that, say anything about me ?
I know but it the term yids usually is meant as a jewish sluragainst jewish supporters of footy?

Adelaide, Australia

#77162 Sep 20, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
This woman is one bent hag...LOL!!!
I still don't get her primary issue.
Guns are everywhere. Unless the dumb bitch wants to find a way to go back in time and take out these Chinese bastards who invented gunpowder she's going to be all squinty eyed angry the rest of her torn up life....LOL!!!!
you actually are Zigmunds brother even right down to your sexist attitude, you must be twins!

Adelaide, Australia

#77163 Sep 20, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure you just don't like "yanks"???
And if you want to wail like a cat in heat screaming into a megaphone by all means....the stage is yours......LOL!!!!
What! what is that! No answers for betraying your own values, no earth shattering reply about how you expect YOUR rights to be adherred to under your constitution but damn everyone else's...

You are just a another gun toting piss your pants weakling that needs a gun to feel tough!

Adelaide, Australia

#77164 Sep 20, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen,
If you want to fear a toolbox, an axe, gun or any other inanimate object like a plush teddybear with evil eyes then by all means...fear.
I don't fear guns....just nutjobs who might want to harm me and I answer to those fears by using the most effective tool I know of.
Sorry if that makes you buy Alka Seltzer by the case but that's how the world spins.
You are just someone who is noone without a gun!

Adelaide, Australia

#77165 Sep 20, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your 'wrong side'.........ROFL!!!!!!!
Lady (???)....I don't think you have a RIGHT side so I'd shaddup.
LOL!!!!
Shaddup or what! is that just an empty threat, or will you go and get your gun!

Adelaide, Australia

#77166 Sep 20, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiiight.
Pistol necklaces are the rage this year.
ROFL!!!!
Geeeeezus.....you're dumber than a rat chewing on a fermented apple I swear.
Like anyone would likely see you as any type of judge on sanity!

Adelaide, Australia

#77167 Sep 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Buy a sense of humor honey bunch.
I have one and it is being used quite liberally against gun toters at the moment. You are so precious about your guns that it causes much laughter.
I am suprised along with my sarcasm and wit, you can't relate to my humour I am renown for it.

Adelaide, Australia

#77168 Sep 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Better yet, steal a sense of humor dear, you can not afford the price to purchase.
What is that? Is that your humour? I laugh more at your gun facts and pathetic rationalle for owning a gun (or in most of you cases) many guns more so keep trying to convince yourself there is a logical reason for the average joe to own a gun it is priceless.

Adelaide, Australia

#77169 Sep 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty lame, even for you.
Like I said, buy, steal, but for sure and for certain Aho, somehow aquire a sense of humor.
Oh, oh, a little too close to the mark was it, a general observation of the wanky yank stereo type, always make me laugh because in the case of this thread it is so true!

Adelaide, Australia

#77170 Sep 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
What is interesting, is that >YOU< are the ONLY one promoting the death of your fellow man ^there^ snookums.
And you have the gall to call others bloodthirsty bastards, or words to that effect.
"I like most of my kind would find this most interesting"
Of course you would, you and your "kind" are hateful control freak bastards with no sense of fair play nor of what personal freedom is all about.
BTW Einstein, the plural of deer, is deer.
I have a great sense of fair play and I am hurt that you have missed that wonderful part of my character.
Tch, tch, just because all you have proven is that there is no reason for you to have a gun is no reason to get nasty Moosey!

Adelaide, Australia

#77171 Sep 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a vegetarian ?
<quoted text>
Now ^THAT's^ the funniest thing you have said so far.
I can go to bed happy tonight, I was just educated by a halfwit Aussie control freak, that spiders are members of the plant family.
You make it too easy Moosey, I don't even have to try and make you look stupid!

Adelaide, Australia

#77172 Sep 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
We DO "effect change" when there is a problem with a firearm.
We redesign it. DUH.
Oh I know, by making guns bigger and faster and able to carry more bullets...You are a real whip, too bad you didn't put as much effort into finding out why Americans (for the most part) are thicker than a plank....all the guns might have disappeared by now...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Being conservative is not being racist 1 min trump--Im tax free 24
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 min Big C 24,022
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Guest 1,482,391
News News 16 Mins Ago Inaugural speech is Trump's ti... 1 min gwww 164
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 2 min Well Well 14,977
News California flood sweeps cabins, cars down coast... 3 min JustinObserver 2
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 3 min no bitchassness a... 4,828
News Actors, mayors rally at inauguration eve Trump ... 14 min slick willie expl... 56
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr freebird 409,490
More from around the web