It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#70507 Jul 9, 2012
GoGo Bar wrote:
<quoted text>
How many slaves were chatelled before they were freed?
4,000,000! Quite a subsidy to industry before that.
Cotton Production USA today.$5 billion.
Subsidy by Govt.$4.5 Billion.
I wonder why?
Because cotton is worn by Thailand's citizens.

Location hidden

#70508 Jul 9, 2012
Patriot wrote:
ALERT!!!
Seems the illegal 'president' and the traitor Hillary Clinton plan on signing the UN Arms Trade Treaty on July 27th which seeks to set up an international agency that will control the availability of arms and ammunition around the world. This new international body will have the authority to tell signing nations what they can and cannot sell within their own borders. In addition, the international body will have the authority to ban existing guns within countries.
Our Founding Fathers knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote the Second Amendment -- they were giving the We, the People the Right to defend Ourselves against all threats - not just petty criminals and invaders, but also the threat of an oppressive government and those that would seek to "change" Our form of government.
The UN Arms treaty will try to enforce impossible licensing requirements designed to keep law abiding Americans from owning guns. In addition, the Arms Trade Treaty will hijack and destroy all weapons that are classified as "unauthorized." What exactly classifies a firearm as "unauthorized" is up to their globalist puppet masters. The treaty will ban the trade, sale, and private ownership of most semi-automatic weapons - even those designed for hunting. Clinton, Obama and their anti-liberty cohorts are also calling for an INTERNATIONAL GUN REGISTRY that would pave the way to eventually disarming every American citizen.
Feel like giving the UN your Second Amendment Right that "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"?
CONTACT YOUR SENATORS NOW - DEMAND THEY REPRESENT YOU CONSTITUTIONALLY BY VOTING NO ON THE UNITED NATIONS ARMS TREATY AND ANY OTHER TREATY, LAW OR LEGISLATION THAT IMPEDES THE RIGHT OF LAW ABIDING AMERICAN CITIZENS TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS!
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_informa...
Our founders gave no such thing as a right to other humans in the second amendment, as no human or group of humans are capable of doing such.
They simply put down in writing to restrict our government from infringing upon that which already exists ... human rights to defence of person and property amongst other rights that are also inherent inseparable parts of our very beings.
I P Freely

UK

#70509 Jul 9, 2012
GoGo Bar wrote:
The American people, the individual citizens are being ripped off, raped, subjegated to the rich in proportios similar to Feudal England.
Lower taxes has inflated your Deficit at the expense of revenue that you ARE the largest debtor nation in the history of the world. Ponzi critical.
If you dont go back to Keynsian methods, and the rest of the world will comply, your cardboard empire is over.
War as a stimulis is 10 years old. Tax cuts as a stimulis is 11 years old. Monetary stimulis is at an end.
Wealth concentration of 5% at the top is at at 1929 levels. Trickle down was always a lie.
Take back your economy. The world will back you.
Said the TOPIX ADMIN TOADY TROLL!!!!!
GoGo Bar

Thailand

#70510 Jul 9, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Because cotton is worn by Thailand's citizens.
LOL. What does trhat mean? Please Justify your answer.

Location hidden

#70511 Jul 9, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Inspite of my brief attempt to enlighten you, it seems you still miss the point. The trick is to encourage the female to want, or need oneself, far more than you would appear to want, or need them.
Ohh, and your statement, SEX FEELS MORE NATURAL TO ME, I have to ask, more natural than what ?
<chuckle>

Since: Feb 11

Chatteris, UK

#70512 Jul 9, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Our founders gave no such thing as a right to other humans in the second amendment, as no human or group of humans are capable of doing such.
They simply put down in writing to restrict our government from infringing upon that which already exists ... human rights to defence of person and property amongst other rights that are also inherent inseparable parts of our very beings.
Agreed.
CONSERVATIVE

Jefferson, GA

#70513 Jul 9, 2012
Penisaurus Rex wrote:
<quoted text>
Do yourself the kindest favor: Drop the 'liberal-conservative, and 'left-right' paradigms. There really is only distinction: Freedom vs Tyranny.
That is, you're either for freedom, or you're for tyranny. The whole 'left-right' thing is nothing but a way to keep people divided, and thus kept at each other's throats.
Remember: Don't employ, or resort to, the 'liberal v conservative' paradigm. All you need do is ask: Are you for freedom of choice, and self-determination? If the reply come back as a 'yes,' then ask why it is that they are AGAINST freedom by pursuing everything which flies into its face?
Either someone TRUELY believes in freedom of choice, and self-determination, or one does not. There's no 'left' or 'right' about it, in the very same way that there's no 'liberal' or 'conservative' about it either.
Remember: DO NOT LET the terms of the argument make your decisions for you.
I beg to differ. I believe true conservatives, Tea Partiers fit your description of freedom loving. We do NOT count ourselves among republicans, aka RINOS. We are the real deal. Tea Party 2012!
GoGo Bar

Thailand

#70514 Jul 9, 2012
Whatever your politicians want to call themselves you should be giving them a good kick in the rear.
The lazy swines have failed to address Pension Reform, Tax Reform and are still arguing about Medical Reform. Every other country addressed these issues LAST century.

Even Bush saw the urgency with Pension reform in 2000. It is about time each individual was mandated their own pension account to co-contribute tax free earnings into. If they are not sophisticated enough to manage their own fund, there are plenty of responsible mutual funds to earn them 4%+ rather than the 2% that pensions are making now.

Get those lazy dogs busy up there!
I P Freely

UK

#70515 Jul 9, 2012
GoGo Bar wrote:
Whatever your politicians want to call themselves you should be giving them a good kick in the rear.
The lazy swines have failed to address Pension Reform, Tax Reform and are still arguing about Medical Reform. Every other country addressed these issues LAST century.
Even Bush saw the urgency with Pension reform in 2000. It is about time each individual was mandated their own pension account to co-contribute tax free earnings into. If they are not sophisticated enough to manage their own fund, there are plenty of responsible mutual funds to earn them 4%+ rather than the 2% that pensions are making now.
Get those lazy dogs busy up there!
POINTS OF CONTENTION:
1. NO politician can represent more than one opinion. Therefore, they are worthless because they are biased, and paid by lobbyists to represent positions entirely contrary to the best wishes of the people.
2. There should be no such thing as a 'pension,' because a person's preparation for retired life should be his own responsibility, i.e., savings.
3. There is absolutely ZERO need for ANY tax.
GoGo Bar

Thailand

#70516 Jul 9, 2012
I P Freely wrote:
<quoted text>
POINTS OF CONTENTION:
1. NO politician can represent more than one opinion. Therefore, they are worthless because they are biased, and paid by lobbyists to represent positions entirely contrary to the best wishes of the people.
2. There should be no such thing as a 'pension,' because a person's preparation for retired life should be his own responsibility, i.e., savings.
3. There is absolutely ZERO need for ANY tax.
Well, it nearly worked for Robinson Crusoe.
FBI

Las Vegas, NV

#70517 Jul 9, 2012
Please the Australians will all be killed soon anyway.
GoGo Bar

Thailand

#70519 Jul 9, 2012
FBI wrote:
Please the Australians will all be killed soon anyway.
Rupert would not allow it!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#70520 Jul 10, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
No...you got that wrong...again.
I'm very pro-American...just anti, illegal immigrant voting in our elections so that they can get more money and benefits from the working Americans.
Tell me, what is so difficult about people getting a voter registration card or a government issued ID to verify their ID before they vote...? How does that "disenfranchise" anyone..?
You keep failing to pay attention to your marching orders.

The ENTIRE POINT of Republiscum ID crap is to DISENFRANCHISE. It has no other point. Don't you get it yet?

"The law, SB 14, requires voters to show one of a very narrow list of government-issued documents, EXCLUDING Social Security, Medicaid, or student ID cards. Gun licenses, however, are acceptable."

"GOP 2012 Strategy: Disenfranchise Democrats, Rig Electoral College

...the GOP has launched a “war on voting,” passing laws in a dozen states since the 2010 election designed to impede traditionally Democratic voters at every step of the electoral process, which could prevent millions of students, minorities, legal immigrants, ex-convicts and the elderly from casting ballots in 2012.

But Republicans aren’t stopping there. Nick Baumann has a startling and related piece in Mother Jones today about how Republicans in the crucial swing state of Pennsylvania are further trying to rig the 2012 election to their advantage, this time by tampering with the Electoral College.

...That means Obama could theoretically win the state’s popular vote in 2012, but still lose overall in terms of electoral delegates."

TN

Republiscum are beyond filthy.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#70521 Jul 10, 2012
CONSERVATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ. I believe true conservatives, Tea Partiers fit your description of freedom loving. We do NOT count ourselves among republicans, aka RINOS. We are the real deal. Tea Party 2012!
TeaBaggers are Koch minions. Everyone knows this.

Remember those idiotic signs saying keep your government out of my medicare? That was you wasn't it.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#70522 Jul 10, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep failing to pay attention to your marching orders.
The ENTIRE POINT of Republiscum ID crap is to DISENFRANCHISE. It has no other point. Don't you get it yet?
"The law, SB 14, requires voters to show one of a very narrow list of government-issued documents, EXCLUDING Social Security, Medicaid, or student ID cards. Gun licenses, however, are acceptable."
"GOP 2012 Strategy: Disenfranchise Democrats, Rig Electoral College
...the GOP has launched a “war on voting,” passing laws in a dozen states since the 2010 election designed to impede traditionally Democratic voters at every step of the electoral process, which could prevent millions of students, minorities, legal immigrants, ex-convicts and the elderly from casting ballots in 2012.
But Republicans aren’t stopping there. Nick Baumann has a startling and related piece in Mother Jones today about how Republicans in the crucial swing state of Pennsylvania are further trying to rig the 2012 election to their advantage, this time by tampering with the Electoral College.
...That means Obama could theoretically win the state’s popular vote in 2012, but still lose overall in terms of electoral delegates."
TN
Republiscum are beyond filthy.
And you are the one that is so full of crap...every post you make is oozing it.

Oh goody...quoting from "Mother Jones" now...an extreme leftist dirt rag.

Get a grip dirtbag.

Since: Dec 11

Fort Worth, TX

#70523 Jul 10, 2012
GoGo Bar wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it nearly worked for Robinson Crusoe.
LOL!!! Well, nearly!
GoGo Bar

Thailand

#70524 Jul 10, 2012
Terry Buckeye wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! Well, nearly!
The unabomber tried but his log cabin was surrounded by tax paying settlers intent on being sociable.

Since: Dec 11

Fort Worth, TX

#70525 Jul 10, 2012
GoGo Bar wrote:
<quoted text>
The unabomber tried but his log cabin was surrounded by tax paying settlers intent on being sociable.
LOL! Yeah, the world has gotten a LOT smaller, huh?
GoGo Bar

Thailand

#70526 Jul 10, 2012
Terry Buckeye wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Yeah, the world has gotten a LOT smaller, huh?
I hang out here with a US Black guy who did 25 in the army. 64, the tail end of Vietnam, did Germany etc...Lost his trigger finger, name is Val.
He is like a breath of fresh air in his honesty about the USA. He loves his country but at his age cannot believe the issues that are being discussed instead of what the real people want addressed.

If half the people of the USA are as realistic as him I will be impressed.
I P Freely

UK

#70527 Jul 10, 2012
GoGo Bar wrote:
<quoted text>
How much do you know about the 'unabomber,' i.e., what drove him to do what he did?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Juan Williams: The pollution of politics 2 min Northern Ireland 15
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Quirky 332,660
News How Undocumented Immigrants Help Strengthen Our... 4 min USA forensics 196
News Activist takes down Confederate flag outside So... 7 min Northern Ireland 116
News Which woman should be on $10 US bill? Treasury ... 39 min Agents of Corruption 93
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 51 min ChristineM 168,733
News Marriage equality good for Missourians 57 min mike 8
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 192,124
News Why the Confederate flag flies in SC 1 hr johnplustwomore 2,113
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr IND 186,216
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr RoxLo 1,251,062
More from around the web