A Return To Tahrir?

A Return To Tahrir?

There are 4 comments on the The Daily Beast story from Nov 27, 2012, titled A Return To Tahrir?. In it, The Daily Beast reports that:

There is a LOT of first time protesters here in #Tahrir today. Morsi's constitutional declaration was a breaking point.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Beast.

Vivek Golikeri

Hollywood, FL

#1 Nov 28, 2012
The key point to understand here is that Egyptian society and political culture are coming of age. Just as Latin America, once a haven for corruption, no longer easily tolerates corruption today, so brutal repression in the Arab world will no longer go easily unchallenged. The Arab Spring has changed not just governments but the way government itself works, much as Gorbachev and perestroika re-invented the political traditions of Russia.

For the time being evil forces like the Muslim Brotherhood seek to misdirect popular frustrations by using Israel or the West as a scapegoat. But Morsi overplayed his hand and got Mubarak's medicine. It is my dearest hope that oppressed groups like Muslim women and Coptic Christians use the new freedoms to create a rift in society by challenging old wrongs.

Egypt needs to steer away from jihadists and toward a civil dissension similar to America's turmoil in the 1960's.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2 Nov 30, 2012
Well, I had a chance of visiting Cairo, some two years before. It was my first visit and had no adequate information about Egyptians, except mere speculation which is biased.

Unlike, my expectation, I found Egyptians to be friendly and well coming. For me they are quite diffrent from what we normally call 'Arab life Style'. I felt the people more westernized and when I hear the protest against Mubarak, I was not surprised. Infact the people started to oppose Mubarek long before Tunisians strike.

Why I expected the protest? It is due to my observation that the people actually wished moden democratic state, rather than the traditional islamic rule. The people is like Westernized Arab rather than the people there in Saudi Arebia. For me, I didn't see any fundamentalist movement.

In short, Egyptians are not rich like their arab neighbours, but they are educated, liberal and civilized. They certainly need a government that would bring changes to the interest of the people. It is my dream that this people finally get the freedom it has sacrified since the first anti-mubarek protest. Strong people, deserves modern leadership.
Unreal

Waterford, CT

#3 Nov 30, 2012
Another pointless "revolution".

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#4 Nov 30, 2012
Unreal wrote:
Another pointless "revolution".
No! I am optimistic rather. I told you Egypt is diffrent from other Arab countries, and it is must that they have leadership, that think the same way as the people itself. I think, it westerns are not helping and do not want Egypt to achieve the right democracy. Why? It is complicated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mass hunger 'a moral scandal' Bread president t... 3 min Sceptical_Mal 75
News Donald Trump's immigration policy: Then and now 3 min Donald Trump is a... 142
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Rogue Scholar 05 222,467
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 7 min asd 7,727
News I talked to a former special prosecutor about D... 9 min Lawrence Wolf 9
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 14 min dcadhop 59
News Trump immigration waffle reflects voter confusi... 18 min Take a dump on T... 18
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Megan 1,418,762
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min Jay 239,442
News News 14 Mins Ago Trump rebukes racism claims as... 1 hr osangaope 45
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr katrina 88 393,270
More from around the web