Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1523605 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

carol

Winter Garden, FL

#98704 Mar 14, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
The rest are a code of ethics in a civilized society. Or do you just assume everyone automatically has an innate code of ethics? And, if that is true, how do you explain tribal behaviors before missionaries brought them the code of ethics based on our laws...based on the TCs...based on biblical principles...that ultimately changed their hedonistic ways?
You just take for granted that you are an ethical person merely by choice. It has been ingrained into your brain since you were born in this country whether you believe it or not.
It's been ingrained into your brain since you were born because this country and every other civilized country stands on the principles and the obvious necessary civil codes of any society that were first put down in writing and passed on through the centuries of the Ten Commandments. It is why they are etched into wood inside the highest court of our land - the Supreme Court. It's not that big of a stretch to understand their importance. Or their validity. It is just one of the many biblical principles ingrained into the characteristics of our society and our country's foundation. Such as, "If a man doesn't work, he doesn't eat." I could cite at least a half dozen more from just the book of Proverbs alone. It doesn't mean you have to have a spiritual conversion to accept it. Spiritual conversions are a personal thing. Civility and the source of much of our country's foundation is something different altogether. But denying it or rejecting it based on your own personal misguided perceptions doesn't change it.
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#98705 Mar 14, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that. And the confirmation of the left's agenda.
It was actual Conservative Beat Down though, not Jean, who made those particular assumptions. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.
Sure it is...

The first one is an illiterate little kid, the second an elderly gasbag...
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98706 Mar 14, 2010
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"Poop John"
Not corrected, you verify my statements.
You again read and failed to understand. 12 vetos, nowhere enough. His lack of reining in the "progressives" is the leading cause of our current economic problems.
Peace
Oh wow, an 80 year old saying "poop", you probably tell your wife you have to do caca and peepee in the little boys room. Go eat oats.
carol

Winter Garden, FL

#98707 Mar 14, 2010
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
The voters clearly did not understand what Obama intended. They wanted reform of the current insurance industry, period. Not a government-run medical practice, which is where ObamaKare is headed.
I believe the voters did not want to hear what Obama intended. He made it perfectly clear every time he spoke what his intentions were if elected.
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98708 Mar 14, 2010
Conservative Beat Down wrote:
<quoted text>Ahhh, how sad :( carol can't have a garden. And she lives in a condo which she is renting and she can't afford her health bills. Now you wonder why people go bankrupt. Because they buy or try to buy crap they can't afford. And then they get mad and start a coffee or tea or even peaNUT movement. So they blame the president for all there problems. You know what carol, you can't see it but im playing the world's smallest violin just for you.
Was this necessary? I may disagree with Carol at times but I never thought any of the above whatsoever. When you say things like the above, you are acting like the righwingers on here with personal insults. It's unflattering.
carol

Winter Garden, FL

#98709 Mar 14, 2010
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Whoa, Carol__time freaking out! Are you implying that American missionaries influenced world civilization? Or are you implying that American missionaries influenced little pockets of those hedonistic tribal folks in select regions?
I am implying nothing. I am stating plain documented truths. Watch the movie "The End of the Spear" or watch that series on television about two Americans who live with tribes in Africa for three or four months at a time. The people of those tribes will tell you themselves what I just said.

What exactly are YOU implying? That missionaries have NOT made a difference in civilizing a significant portion of the uncivilized world?
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98710 Mar 14, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the voters did not want to hear what Obama intended. He made it perfectly clear every time he spoke what his intentions were if elected.
I understood very clear and the people did as well and that's why he was elected. The people want universal healthcare, because of compromises it may not happen the way it should, the best way is for Medicare to open up across the board, plain and simple and paid for through taxes. All this nonsense could have been avoided. In Canada if one wishes to purchase private insurance in addition to what the state provides, they may.
Demos

Albuquerque, NM

#98711 Mar 14, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You just make it too easy, sorry.
Its a waste of time to try to discuss anything like ethics with you. Your world starts and stops with Christian dogma. Its like arguing with a vegetarian over which cuts of beef are the best.
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98712 Mar 14, 2010
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Whoa, Carol__time freaking out! Are you implying that American missionaries influenced world civilization? Or are you implying that American missionaries influenced little pockets of those hedonistic tribal folks in select regions?
Wow
carol

Winter Garden, FL

#98713 Mar 14, 2010
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>Was this necessary? I may disagree with Carol at times but I never thought any of the above whatsoever. When you say things like the above, you are acting like the righwingers on here with personal insults. It's unflattering.
Why, thanks, Lily. I appreciate that. Throwing accusations around on both sides doesn't really get us anywhere. It may vent some steam but, once the air clears, the serious issues still remain. Not that we can solve them on this forum but sharing opinions and bringing clarity to them sometimes helps confirm or question our own ideas. Accusations just make people mad. For the wrong reasons. We should all be mad. But not at each other.
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98714 Mar 14, 2010
Demos wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be daft, when was the last time someone was arrested for making a graven image or not honoring their mother or father?
Yeah, when my neighbors sprinklers watered my grass and I asked him to pay for my corn, he told me to fick off. Hmmmm.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#98715 Mar 14, 2010
<quoted text>Oh wow, an 80 year old saying "poop", you probably tell your wife you have to do caca and peepee in the little boys room. Go eat oats.
"Lily"
Lily, Lily, Lily, Lily, Lily.
I was right you post nothing of interest. You like "Poop" respond with nothing. Why do you not respond with answers, you know, facts? You have no answers. Sorry mooncalf, I am not 80, again you spout crap. Have you, will you ever post something that makes sense? No? Expected. Keep it up you do produce an ocassioanl chuckle.
Peace

Since: Mar 10

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#98716 Mar 14, 2010
If Obama is our next President health care will still be discussed. If Sarah Palin runs and win and become our President, God forbid. We all will be going to Canada for our health care. I rather stay here, and keep Obama for another term.
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98717 Mar 14, 2010
Factual wrote:
<quoted text>
They were a black couple, Lily. Did you know that before trying
to make the point that religious people are fools?
No I had no idea, and what does it matter what color they are? It only matters to you, who probably read and went to the trouble to find out. Locking yourself in a room for 3 weeks and the husband never checked on her? Come on, what a dope.
lily boca raton fl

Covington, LA

#98718 Mar 14, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, thanks, Lily. I appreciate that. Throwing accusations around on both sides doesn't really get us anywhere. It may vent some steam but, once the air clears, the serious issues still remain. Not that we can solve them on this forum but sharing opinions and bringing clarity to them sometimes helps confirm or question our own ideas. Accusations just make people mad. For the wrong reasons. We should all be mad. But not at each other.
Hey, at least he did call you a "man hating black lesbian" or "gasbag old jew" coulda' been worse. Oh, and "despicable bitch", almost left that one out.
Realtime

Ocala, FL

#98719 Mar 14, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
I am implying nothing. I am stating plain documented truths. Watch the movie "The End of the Spear" or watch that series on television about two Americans who live with tribes in Africa for three or four months at a time. The people of those tribes will tell you themselves what I just said.
What exactly are YOU implying? That missionaries have NOT made a difference in civilizing a significant portion of the uncivilized world?
What I am implying is that "civilization" had a ten thousand year head start on American missionaries.
Demos

Albuquerque, NM

#98720 Mar 14, 2010
<quoted text>Yeah, when my neighbors sprinklers watered my grass and I asked him to pay for my corn, he told me to fick off. Hmmmm.
I don't care about the validity of the setup this is just damned funny and true:

http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/WhyCantIO...
Demos

Albuquerque, NM

#98721 Mar 14, 2010
<quoted text>Yeah, when my neighbors sprinklers watered my grass and I asked him to pay for my corn, he told me to fick off. Hmmmm.
I'll post the whole thing for those who don't like links:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?- Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
Jim

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#98722 Mar 14, 2010
<quoted text>I understood very clear and the people did as well and that's why he was elected. The people want universal healthcare, because of compromises it may not happen the way it should, the best way is for Medicare to open up across the board, plain and simple and paid for through taxes. All this nonsense could have been avoided. In Canada if one wishes to purchase private insurance in addition to what the state provides, they may.
"Lily"
Lily, Lily, Lily, Lily, Lily.
Quit lying!!!
Americans want some health reform. By a very solid margin they do not want universal health care. Please, please show a poll, that shows a majority of Americans that shows they want universal health care.
I used "show" 3 times because you really are a show, a show that is getting mighty old. Please continue to show your true colors, the colors of a paid troll, a parrot. One without an idea of her own, one who is clueless.
Again, please continue to post. You are the best salesperson in the world of the hypocrisy of the left wing nuts.
Peace

Since: Mar 10

Downey, CA

#98723 Mar 14, 2010
Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now, Poop Liar, I never gave my "word" I'd never respond to you again. I know you wish that was the case, but it's not.
Exchanging insults with semi-literate, half-witted fools like you isn't a priority, and if you want me to leave you alone, all you have to do is ask.
That pretty much covers almost everone, yea think maybe yee be the one with the problem. I just see you as kinda like a Dung bug or a horse fly, more annoying than anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. House bill would exempt e-cigarettes from ... 2 min Say What 10
News Racism motivated Trump voters more than authori... 5 min huntcoyotes 412
News White House refuses to hand over documents to F... 6 min swampmudd 195
News Donald Trump on first 100 days: It's a differen... 8 min huntcoyotes 72
News The Latest: Spicer calls judge's decision 'egre... 18 min Fcvk tRump 44
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 29 min Imprtnrd 25,321
News Lawmakers revisiting requiring those on Medicai... 29 min swampmudd 100
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min Buster Steinbeizer 240,411
More from around the web