Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1252695 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Jimmy

Wethersfield, CT

#708755 Aug 12, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew bombs were dropped on German cities where it was stragegically necessary, Dresden being one of them I assumed, in order to win the war. I didn't know they were fire bombs or how many cities had been targeted (and not necessarily for strategic reasons).
The stories I read were nothing but horrific.
It's the part of the war no one wants to talk about - then or now.
Bullcrap. People have been talking about American slaughtering civilians in WWII for decades.

Except for those like you, who choose to believe that America is pure and clean.

Fact is, Americans have committed atrocities in every war we've ever entered into.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#708757 Aug 12, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The Republicans already passed the Ryan plan.
Why does it take ten years to enact the Ryan Medicare plan? To give those approaching retirement to save more for retirement because it will cost them more money for health care.
Paul Rynan hands the wealthy money while making retirees pay more for healthcare.
Still in denial that Medicare will fail to meet its' ability to make payments by 2014-bankrupt. Those 55 years and older are exempt from the plan. Seniors know this and laugh at the granny off the cliff mentality as preposterous.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 08

Joliet, Illinois

#708758 Aug 12, 2012
The real Obama plan:

Concentration camps in the United States:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/...

He MUST be defeated in 2012.

Romney needs to add this one to the list of laws to repeal after he is elected in November.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Windermere, FL

#708759 Aug 12, 2012
Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox has never featured it I guess.
It seems that once she started watching Fox, everything she may have known before was wiped.
Like I told Lily, it's the part of the war no one wants to talk about.

We came very close to being accused of committing war crimes.

"Was this last mass killing necessary? We rarely hear about it at all, perhaps because it throws into question the entire morality of U.S. strategic bombing in the Pacific War."

http://blog.independent.org/2012/08/06/terror...

The documentary series, War, left nothing out - quite graphically I might add - even the part no one wants to talk about.

Not too surprising a lot of people didn't know about it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“We doing better...”

Since: Jul 08

we've got to do more

#708760 Aug 12, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I've repeatedly said this over and over again...sounding like a broken record...casualities of war are inevitable when innocents are caught in the crossfire...any war...any color of innocents...any religion of innocents...but apparently you continually want to hear the same broken record.
What happened in Germany and Japan had nothing to do with innocents getting caught in crossfire.
Now would you please change YOUR broken record?
There were no innocent Germans or Japanese? WTF you talkin''bout, Miss Watson?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#708761 Aug 12, 2012
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how willing you are to throw your children and grandchildren under the bus, Gramps.
What will you say when your son jacks you up and asks 'why did you allow them to take our Medicare away??'
And Grampy will weep with guilt.
Medicare as is is going away. This is not an issue of will it be there forever and was taken away. It is an issue that it is going insolvent-bankrupt- in 2024. So, it is you who needs to figure out what to tell your kids when you sold them out to vote for Obama who has no plan to save Medicare.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jimmy

Wethersfield, CT

#708762 Aug 12, 2012
leosanus wrote:
<quoted text> Reported for abuse! LOL
You didn't report it. You're a liar.

If you reported it, Topix would see your trolling record, hiding behind proxies, and ban you.

Quit talking as stupid as you look.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
dem

Chicago, IL

#708764 Aug 12, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>There were no innocent Germans or Japanese? WTF you talkin''bout, Miss Watson?
It's over your head, fktard.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#708765 Aug 12, 2012
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to go Gramps!!
Pierre destroys your ignorant attempt to spin the GM story, and you fold your tent and fall back to GFY!! LOL
Don't have the facts to debate Pierre?? Typical of wingnuts. Offer stupid comments, then run away from them when the obvious stupidity is pointed out. There's not a one of you nitwits who can stand their ground in a discussion. You either change the subject or walk away from your ignorant comments.
Stick to the dumb old man jokes.
GM story is not popular with the voters who does not like government interference with business.

Only 16 percent of voters said the government's loan guarantees to Solyndra was a good idea
Just 27 percent think "itís ever OK for the government to make investments in private companies"
71 percent of voters believe "private sector companies and investors are better than government officials at determining the long-term benefits and potential of new technologies" and that just 11 percent think "government officials have a better eye for future value"
64 percent think government money will be wasted "if the government provides funding for a project that private investors refuse to back"
66 percent of voters believe crony connections drive most government contracts

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_e...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
dem

Chicago, IL

#708766 Aug 12, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
suddenly dumb baggers are letting the government tell them what to do.
OWS bagger, for sure.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
leosanus

Lakewood, NJ

#708767 Aug 12, 2012
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't report it. You're a liar.
If you reported it, Topix would see your trolling record, hiding behind proxies, and ban you.
Quit talking as stupid as you look.
You didn't report your mental deficiency. You're a liar.
If you reported it, Topix would see you're not spelling "you're" correctly, hiding behind leosanus, and forgetting to use your ban deodorant.
Quit talking as stupid as Obama worshippers who think they are able to actually see a person on the internet.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#708768 Aug 12, 2012
Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
The narrative will now be to continue to cite the CBO analysis of Obama's budget while discrediting the CBO analysis of Ryan's plan.
People like Retard Fred will have no problem swallowing, even disseminating, the contradiction.
Who's tighter with a buck doesn't really matter anymore to them anyway. That went out the window with the 2010 elections. They're not kidding anyone. It's laughable.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“We doing better...”

Since: Jul 08

we've got to do more

#708769 Aug 12, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
It's over your head, fktard.
Whereas the only thing over your head, Gunner, LLC, is your ass? In the words of Peter Gelzinis:

Paul Ryan is "the hood ornament for a Republican party that wants to get rid of Medicare and Medicaid, gut the social safety net and ensure that the rich are rewarded for being rich."

Paul Ryan "is Darth Vader in the guise of Beaver Cleaver. This campaign has just come into very, very sharp focus."

"Paul Ryan is not really against government spending. Heís just against spending the governmentís money on people he doesnít believe are worth it."

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/ ..

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Windermere, FL

#708770 Aug 12, 2012
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullcrap. People have been talking about American slaughtering civilians in WWII for decades.
Except for those like you, who choose to believe that America is pure and clean.
Fact is, Americans have committed atrocities in every war we've ever entered into.
If that many people knew about this, how could so many decent people stand up and proudly sing the National Anthem for 50 years?

I can't sing it without very mixed feelings now.

Another insight: "It should be no surprise that the main U.S. culprits behind these war policies were the very liberal Democrats who favored expansionist state power at home ó FDR, Truman, and LBJ ó although, of course, conservative Republicans soon enough proved just as willing to participate in and advocate such war collectivism."

(The second part should make Tenzing very happy because that's his big beef; however, bombing facilities in the Middle East where it was strategically necessary is not the same as dropping fire bombs on numerous cities and burning civilians to death.)

http://blog.independent.org/2012/08/06/terror...

It's why I can't just "let go" as easily as some on here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Realtime

Clermont, FL

#708771 Aug 12, 2012
Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
The narrative will now be to continue to cite the CBO analysis of Obama's budget while discrediting the CBO analysis of Ryan's plan.
People like Retard Fred will have no problem swallowing, even disseminating, the contradiction.
Ryan=Sarah Palin with brains!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Vote for Obama

Miami, FL

#708772 Aug 12, 2012
Yes we can

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#708773 Aug 12, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, first of all, your assumptions are kind of out in left field.
Second of all, I'm rallying behind the Wyden-Ryan Plan, the "new and improved bipartisan" Medicare reform plan.
But I know bipartisan has become a dirty word to progressives.
Who's on first??

Ryan-Wyden Premium Support Proposal Not What It May Seem

Likely Would Shift Substantial Costs to Beneficiaries, Threaten Traditional Medicare, and Produce Few Savings

The proposal for Medicare premium support by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) differs in key respects from how many media reports are describing it.[1] Despite claims to the contrary, it likely would shift substantial costs to beneficiaries rather than protect them from such cost increases, could lead to the demise of traditional Medicare over time rather than preserve it, and likely would produce few savings.

Shifts Costs to Beneficiaries

Its sponsors say the proposal would avoid shifting health costs to beneficiaries, but thatís not so. It would replace Medicareís guarantee of health coverage with a flat payment that beneficiaries would use to help them purchase either private health insurance or traditional Medicare.

Generates Few Budgetary Savings

It also would limit the growth in spending per beneficiary to the growth of gross domestic product (GDP) plus one percentage point (presumably on a per capita basis).

The CBO projects that by 2022, seniors will be paying 61% of their health care costs out of pocket. Those who can't afford to do that will be without insurance.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Windermere, FL

#708774 Aug 12, 2012
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Grampy and Fretard are older than Carol. At least 5 years older. Haven't you been following?? They've all said how old they are.
Carol is not yet Medicare eligible.
Can you believe that at 61, Carol did not know we firebombed German and Japanese cities in WWII??
Or who her Congressman was??
And she offers advice based on her 'common sense'??
Ya can't make this stuff up!!!
All I needed to know about Grayson is that he stood up on the senate floor and said "Republicans want you to die!". At that precise moment, I dismissed him as even being relevent - no matter where he came from. He was never "my" congressman.

And I'm quite sure a lot of people never heard about the fire bombings. If you hadn't been forced to read Slaughterhouse Five in high school, I'm betting neither would you.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Shavon

Orange Park, FL

#708775 Aug 12, 2012
I'm disppointed with Obama. Been unemployed for 7 and a half months. I'm broke.

Things were better under Bush for 8 years & I'm starting to realize it.I don't want the goverment to take money from someone else and redistribute it- a just want a job.

Have to admit I made a mistake-the media fooled me. I'm voting Republican this time.
carol

Windermere, FL

#708776 Aug 12, 2012
Vote for Obama wrote:
Yes we can
Of, for heaven's sakes...yes you can WHAT? Destroy the free market and capitalism? Expand bigger government? Bankrupt the country? WHAT?

You sound like a parrot or a myna bird or something. "Yes we can...<squawk>...yes we can...<squawk>...yes we can...<squawk>."

Please....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carly Fiorina's Campaign Raised $1.4 Million Si... 5 min LeDuped 9
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 6 min Wondering 202
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerks who ref... 6 min The_Box 15
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min LeDuped 186,683
News Cuba's Havana Archbishop, Cardinal Jaime Ortega... 7 min Tiburonesencuba 14
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 7 min Rose_NoHo 626
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 8 min Poof1 60,583
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? 14 min Mullahing It Over 171
News Mainstream Right-Wingers, Don't Even Start With... 22 min Butters 546
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 33 min red and right 333,371
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Chicagoan by Birth 192,543
More from around the web