Budget passes N.C. House, education c...

Budget passes N.C. House, education cuts leave tough choices

There are 23 comments on the Kinston Free Press story from Jul 24, 2013, titled Budget passes N.C. House, education cuts leave tough choices. In it, Kinston Free Press reports that:

By a 66-52 vote, the state House of Representatives approved the compromise state budget on second reading.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kinston Free Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Annoyed

Hickory, NC

#1 Jul 24, 2013
Disgusting !
sandra

Forest City, NC

#2 Jul 24, 2013
Annoyed wrote:
Disgusting !
Wonderful.If a teacher is not doing their job then they should br fired.We all have to answer to another if we work so why not a teacher.We have some in this county who are just putting in their day.we need GOOD teacher who care about kids.So way to go state
Letter from Bob

Wake Forest, NC

#3 Jul 24, 2013
Letter from Bob Etheridge

Folks, many of you know that during the past several months, I have been traveling around our great state sounding the alarm on the Republican’s education plan. Over the weekend, Governor McCrory negotiated a budget that cuts nearly a half-billion dollars from public education in North Carolina. As the former Superintendent of Public Instruction and Congressman, I am in total shock over what the Republicans are trying to pull. This budget is my worst nightmare.

The Republicans are slashing our public education, and their proposal begins to dismantle our schools. Here are just a few items on how it will effect our education system:

Will force over 4,000 teachers and 3,800 teachers assistants out of the classroom

Will take your tax dollars and puts them in for-profit private schools leading us down the path to privatizing education

Will raise some college tuition; will cause over 10,000 students will lose financial aid to UNC system campuses and community colleges

Will phase out the NC Teaching Fellows Program

Will create a merit pay plan for teachers while abolishing teacher tenure

Additionally, the McCrory-negotiated budget does not allow for any pay raises for our teachers. This is absolutely disrespectful to the men and women who teach our children.

For over 60 years, both Democrats and Republicans have recognized the importance of the need for a great education. There are great leaders such as Jim Hunt and Terry Sanford that made our education a national model; now, we are on the front pages of national newspapers in a negative way.

North Carolina has a long history of investing in our public education. Through the years, elected officials have understood the importance of investing in public education--strong schools attract businesses to locate here which means more jobs. The GOP in today’s General Assembly just don’t understand our history.

Governor McCorory’s negotiated budget hurt our teachers, children, and our state. Instead of taking our great state forward, their proposals will take us backwards. This budget slashes education funding while giving tax breaks to the super wealthy. I encourage you to call and tell Governor McCrory to veto this budget. Its bad for our children. Its bad for North Carolina.
Dang

Greer, SC

#4 Jul 24, 2013
Nice try TSF, very funny!!
Dang

Greer, SC

#5 Jul 24, 2013
Letter from Bob wrote:
Letter from Bob Etheridge
Folks, many of you know that during the past several months, I have been traveling around our great state sounding the alarm on the Republican’s education plan. Over the weekend, Governor McCrory negotiated a budget that cuts nearly a half-billion dollars from public education in North Carolina. As the former Superintendent of Public Instruction and Congressman, I am in total shock over what the Republicans are trying to pull. This budget is my worst nightmare.
The Republicans are slashing our public education, and their proposal begins to dismantle our schools. Here are just a few items on how it will effect our education system:
Will force over 4,000 teachers and 3,800 teachers assistants out of the classroom
Will take your tax dollars and puts them in for-profit private schools leading us down the path to privatizing education
Will raise some college tuition; will cause over 10,000 students will lose financial aid to UNC system campuses and community colleges
Will phase out the NC Teaching Fellows Program
Will create a merit pay plan for teachers while abolishing teacher tenure
Additionally, the McCrory-negotiated budget does not allow for any pay raises for our teachers. This is absolutely disrespectful to the men and women who teach our children.
For over 60 years, both Democrats and Republicans have recognized the importance of the need for a great education. There are great leaders such as Jim Hunt and Terry Sanford that made our education a national model; now, we are on the front pages of national newspapers in a negative way.
North Carolina has a long history of investing in our public education. Through the years, elected officials have understood the importance of investing in public education--strong schools attract businesses to locate here which means more jobs. The GOP in today’s General Assembly just don’t understand our history.
Governor McCorory’s negotiated budget hurt our teachers, children, and our state. Instead of taking our great state forward, their proposals will take us backwards. This budget slashes education funding while giving tax breaks to the super wealthy. I encourage you to call and tell Governor McCrory to veto this budget. Its bad for our children. Its bad for North Carolina.
On your travels, Bob, I hope you haven't "grabbed someone" after a "long day", because some might construe that as an assault.
Common Sense

Sherrills Ford, NC

#6 Jul 24, 2013
We can tell Sandra didn't spend much time in the education system.

When you take away benefits from teachers that other states provide (salary, tenure, extra pay for those with higher degrees), those good teachers will go elsewhere. For rural communities, these changes are especially damaging because there aren't any quality private schools to choose as alternatives.
Pike Bishop

United States

#7 Jul 24, 2013
I generally lean onservative and approve recent expanded gun rights, tax code reform, and getting the state more competitive for business.
I cannot fathom the NC republicans anti education zeal. In this economy how does promoting ignorance advance the state or economy? Where did this rabid anti education agenda come from? What is supposed to take the place of our public schools?
Most folks I know are working and cannot homeschool and are not qualified to do so. In rural counties like Caldwell there will not be private or charter schools magically appearing. This seems to be the response, maybe in the three state metro areas but not in most of the state.
NC has no teacher union, no collective bargaining and a woefully low salary scale. Few young folks if any i know want to invest in 4 years education and be rewarded with low pay, no respect, horrible conditions and to be looked at with hate from the state. Maybe those cutting education follow the Pink Floyd song, We don't need no education.....
Hey I would welcome being enlightened on my concerns. I feel this anti education path will dicourage business reloaction and will damn and doom our future. This is madness.
Common Sense

Sherrills Ford, NC

#8 Jul 25, 2013
Businesses choose cities or towns for their operations in part based on those towns having a trained or trainable workforce. I know for a fact several opportunities passed Caldwell by because there weren't people capable of doing the work. For nearly any job these days you have to be able to read, write, do math, and use a computer (and have at least a high school diploma).

All of these education changes make it harder for rural people to get an education from qualified teachers. Keeping the masses undereducated makes it easier for the powerful to keep the money and the power.
Dang

Greer, SC

#9 Jul 25, 2013
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/23/3517266... This link outlines the Budget cuts, I didn't see anything that will close the schools in NC. Teachers actually will receive an additional 5 days vacation. BTY, I looked for the final Budget on the State Budget Office website and don't believe it's posted yet.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#10 Jul 25, 2013
I love how every budget cut gets panned as being a mistake, unfair, misguided, whatever - yet no one wants to pay more to cover the budget bloat.

Arguments that "I deserve more" will never be given any credibility. The obvious response to "i deserve a raise" is "be glad you have a job at all". Teachers/schools are not in a bubble, if you want more funding, you need to provide some relative context - there's only so many pieces of the pie to go around, and every expense has its proponents advocating for a bigger piece. "Because its schools" doesn't justify education inherently deserving more, especially with a longstanding reputation of school spending being very inefficient and having little correlation with results.

I'm not commenting on the merits, education is important. But the reactions being posted here and elsewhere begin to get laughable, and have the same effect as a two year old throwing a tantrum because he wants a sucker before dinner. "The stupid government isn't going to pay me more and made it so i could get fired easier" is why the argument is being lost.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#11 Jul 25, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
All of these education changes make it harder for rural people to get an education from qualified teachers.
Or does it allow schools to remove unqualified teachers from the equation? And force the schools to use its resources more efficiently, rather than just keep throwing money at a percieved problem?

I've decided there is no "right" answer - because every argument, from both sides, is so full of self-serving spin there's no way to determine what reality really is....
Idea

Hickory, NC

#12 Jul 25, 2013
Why don't the take the misuse of funds by Medicaid and fund education.....google it in Febuary 2013 Medicaid was 12 billion over budget in Nc they also spend 40 % more on Medicaid than any other state........google it, read and then explain why education is being targeted and not organizations for misuse of funds.....
Idea

Hickory, NC

#13 Jul 25, 2013
And they want to allocate 4,500 for each low income family to send their child to private schools .....public education (tax payers ....should not be funding private education......)
Idea

Hickory, NC

#14 Jul 25, 2013
And for teachers not doing their jobs .... I agree any job should be based on performance....but not receiving monetary compensation for doing just that.....is just plain wrong!!!!!!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#15 Jul 25, 2013
Giving $4500 per child to parents looks like an attractive deal. The actual cost per child , even in private schools, and even if they were available in rural areas, is around $8000 when you consider the tuition, transportation, books , supplies , etc.
So this scheme transfers more of the education cost to the parents and saves the state money. So what could possibly go wrong? So you enroll you child in private school and pay the $4500 in tuition that you got from the state. The school isn't required to have qualified teachers or even to have teachers who have had a criminal background checks that are required of public school teachers . Oh, could that be a potential problem? The legislature doesn't think so, or probably more likely, doesn't care because it saves the state money. So 6 weeks into the school year, you take your kid to school , but the doors are locked because the school no longer exists. Now do you pay the state back the money before you can enroll your kid in public schools? No? So where do the public schools get the money to educate your child? ant happen.? Check what has happened in other states that went to school vouchers.
Idea wrote:
And they want to allocate 4,500 for each low income family to send their child to private schools .....public education (tax payers ....should not be funding private education......)
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#16 Jul 25, 2013
Why do you believe that unqualified teachers cannot be removed now?
If there are ANY unqualified teachers in the classroom, some administrator is no doing their job. You are right about efficiency. The schools are administratively top heavy with superintendents, assistant superintendents, associate superintendents , curriculum supervisors, 501 coordinators, drop out prevention councilors, purchasing agents, principals, assistant principals , etc. The majority of all this administrative fluff think it is their job to ADD to the teachers work load rather than support teachers in the real business of schools---education of students.. The money doesn't reach
teachers and students.
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Or does it allow schools to remove unqualified teachers from the equation? And force the schools to use its resources more efficiently, rather than just keep throwing money at a percieved problem?
I've decided there is no "right" answer - because every argument, from both sides, is so full of self-serving spin there's no way to determine what reality really is....
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#17 Jul 25, 2013
Idea wrote:
And families that pay for private education should also have to pay for public schools?

(The only response to that is "well, that how it's always been" - but in reality it isn't any more or less fair than what you are complaining about...)

My complaint would be why do only low income families deserve vouchers for private school? What about those families that make too much to qualify as "low income", but not enough to afford private tuition on their own? If you're going to have vouchers, have vouchers, but don't turn it into more class warfare...
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#18 Jul 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
You are right about efficiency. The schools are administratively top heavy with superintendents, assistant superintendents, associate superintendents , curriculum supervisors, 501 coordinators, drop out prevention councilors, purchasing agents, principals, assistant principals , etc. The majority of all this administrative fluff think it is their job to ADD to the teachers work load rather than support teachers in the real business of schools---education of students.. The money doesn't reach
teachers and students.
That is the place to start when addressing this problem, and it's far from just a local problem. It's not uncommon in some places for there to be 3x more administration than there was 20-30 years ago, even when enrollment has dropped by half over that same timeframe.
say what?

Newland, NC

#19 Jul 25, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
Businesses choose cities or towns for their operations in part based on those towns having a trained or trainable workforce. I know for a fact several opportunities passed Caldwell by because there weren't people capable of doing the work. For nearly any job these days you have to be able to read, write, do math, and use a computer (and have at least a high school diploma).

All of these education changes make it harder for rural people to get an education from qualified teachers. Keeping the masses undereducated makes it easier for the powerful to keep the money and the power.
Under education is a major reason this area is in the economic condition it is currently. Undermining the education system is basically undermining the long term economic growth of the state . If we do not invest in our children's education now, we will pay dearly in the future. Another directive in the education budget also mandates buses stay in service until they reach the 250000 mile mark. That is almost double the miles of states with better education programs. The $4500 credit vouchers for private schools is as well ridiculous, unless of course you are a politician with friends in that industry. Rural counties such as Caldwell benefits zero from the vouchers as we lack private schools yet our local tax dollars will assist with vouchers. The NC politicians are fueling the decline of this state more every day.
Pike Bishop

United States

#20 Jul 25, 2013
It has been evident under both political parties for some time that only the large metro areas are to benefit from these vouchers. Road money is to be siphoned off from other counties and rural economic development is to be a low or no priority.
We pay taxes just the same but the policies are leading to a two tier state, of about 5 high dollar prviliged counties and the remainder in poverty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump backer tweets cartoon of Clinton in black... 1 min Cagando 24
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Homer 1,420,545
News Wasserman Schultz fights to hold onto House sea... 5 min Death on 2 Legs 5
News US Department of Agriculture closes 6 offices a... 5 min Stephany McDowell 1
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 6 min RMG EL Rey de Tra... 398
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min Tinka 205,434
News Boy, 13, and girl, 12, hospitalized after accid... 6 min Ivyawe 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Uncle Tab 240,016
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 16 min Cagando 8,026
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Cheech the Conser... 393,413
News Former Obama aide: Trump is a 'psychopath' 2 hr Le Jimbo 105
More from around the web