Smith getting used to Washington

Jun 16, 2013 Full story: Springfield News-Leader 34

Rep. Jason Smith has been in office for less than two weeks, but the newly elected Missouri Republican and 32-year-old attorney-turned-legislator already seems poised to cut a different profile in the U.S. House than his predecessor.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
grisgris

Poplar Bluff, MO

#22 Jun 26, 2013
guest wrote:
Look nimrod, slaughtering the most helpless and innocent of all human beings by the millions is horridly barbaric and unbelievably immoral. It's not my "personal thing", it's the holocaust of history.
As far as homosexual acts, they are indeed deviant and perverted. People like you who are bereft of any sense of decency, by the same twisted logic, must also support pedophilia and bestiality. Sicko.
"...slaughtering helpless and innocent human beings...horridly barbaric and unbelievably immoral."

Is that how you felt about all the helpless and innocent human beings that were killed in the Iraq War, born and unborn?

Or do you allow exceptions for killing?

Are you pro-all-life, or are you just pro-some-life?
Gary

Ashburn, VA

#23 Jun 26, 2013
Sam wrote:
Hope those who voted for Jason Smith are not on Social Security, Medicaid, or Medicare. He doesn't believe in any government assistance. He is anti-government. Just sayin
That's not true.His parents are on Social Security.
guest

United States

#24 Jun 26, 2013
grisgris wrote:
"...slaughtering helpless and innocent human beings...horridly barbaric and unbelievably immoral."
Is that how you felt about all the helpless and innocent human beings that were killed in the Iraq War, born and unborn?
Yep, but let's put things in perspective. How many helpless, innocent human beings were killed in the Iraq War? Estimates vary, but average roughly 100,000 civilian deaths over a 10 year period beginning in 2003. That's 10,000 per year.

In America, we are slaughtering 1.5 million helpless, innocent babies per year! IOW, we slaughter more in 3 DAYS than the entire total amount of innocent people killed annually during the Iraq War. And we have been doing it EVERY SINGLE DAY for 40 years!!!

Any killing of innocent people is wrong, but let's not compare shooting off a firecracker to dropping a nuclear bomb. Get real.
grisgris

Poplar Bluff, MO

#25 Jun 26, 2013
So it's the number that bothers you?

10,000 (your estimate) is okay, but a million is wrong?

You want to pass laws that prohibit abortions, because innocents are killed. Do you want to pass laws that prohibit wars, because innocents are killed?
Rob

United States

#26 Jun 26, 2013
grisgris wrote:
So it's the number that bothers you?
10,000 (your estimate) is okay, but a million is wrong?
You want to pass laws that prohibit abortions, because innocents are killed. Do you want to pass laws that prohibit wars, because innocents are killed?
So are you saying you support keeping troops in Iraq to keep killing innocent people or are you only supporting killing innocent people here in America?
grisgris

Poplar Bluff, MO

#27 Jun 26, 2013
First of all, I don't believe that abortion is "killing innocent people."

But if you want to stick with that canard, for argument's sake, I believe that sometimes killing is justified, whether in a war or in a pregnancy.

The Conservative in me does not support government intrusion into peoples' reproductive lives.
Rob

United States

#28 Jun 26, 2013
I'm torn here. On one hand I so agree with the part killing is sometimes necessary in both war and pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy for example is absolutely a reason for abortion as much as wars sometimes have to be fought to defend ones own. Both can be abused, the war in Iraq is a prime example, as is using abortion as a birth control. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want government telling us how to live our lives down to the last detail, and I would probably be the last to willing give up a right. But where do our rights end? We can't use our freedom of speech to condone yelling "fire" in a crowded building can we? Why shouldn't our reproductive rights be limited when they begin to affect anothers life? This is apparently where you and I disagree. The way I see it anything, plant or animal, when left in its present environment that continues to grow and develop to a point where that development either uses up available resources and causes death or requires a change in that environment to continue to develop is in fact alive is it not?
Trailer Trash

Salem, MO

#29 Jun 26, 2013
Rob wrote:
I'm torn here. On one hand I so agree with the part killing is sometimes necessary in both war and pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy for example is absolutely a reason for abortion as much as wars sometimes have to be fought to defend ones own. Both can be abused, the war in Iraq is a prime example, as is using abortion as a birth control. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want government telling us how to live our lives down to the last detail, and I would probably be the last to willing give up a right. But
where do our rights end? We can't use our freedom of speech to condone yelling "fire" in a crowded building can we? Why shouldn't our reproductive rights be limited when they begin to
affect anothers life? This is apparently where you and I disagree. The way I see it anything, plant or animal, when left in its present environment that continues to grow and develop
to a point where that development either uses up available resources and causes death or requires a change in that environment to continue to develop is in fact alive is it not?
Well thought out, unusual for this site. I believe usually abortion is wrong, but do not believe it should be illegal. Much like homosexuality, I do not accept it morally but it cannot be legislated. The idea that abortion should be legal, safe, and
rare fits.
Sam

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Jun 30, 2013
doh wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not big on government assistance either..I work for everything I have and have my own health insurance. My medical bills are a lot higher than these lazy asses on Medicaid that don't pay for anything. You shouldn't be able to have kids if you can't afford to pay for them. Everyone wants a handout from the government
Any of your parents or grandparents on SS?
Sam

Saint Louis, MO

#31 Jun 30, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>That's not true.His parents are on Social Security.
So his mother -- Smith's Kennels -- filed incomes taxes for SS, taxes, and so forth?
Sam

Saint Louis, MO

#32 Jun 30, 2013
ok folks. Jason Smith is as close to a Libertarian than anyone. Tea Partiers can't win a Libertarians, so they convince voters they're Republicans, when they're not. They're into privatization. Their backers -- those who donate to their campaigns -- will be the ones benefitting from privatization, and Jason Smith will benefit as well. On our money.
guest

United States

#33 Jul 1, 2013
grisgris wrote:
So it's the number that bothers you?
10,000 (your estimate) is okay, but a million is wrong?
They're both wrong. I'm just pointing out the idiocy of your comparison. You insinuate that we should be more worried about 10,000 killed during a war than we are about 1.5 million slaughtered in the sanctity of their mothers' wombs. I say we should focus on the 1.5 million.
guest

United States

#34 Jul 1, 2013
grisgris wrote:
First of all, I don't believe that abortion is "killing innocent people."
Denial is not a river in Egypt my friend. Abortion is the intentional killing of innocent human life, the very definition of murder.
I believe that sometimes killing is justified, whether in a war or in a pregnancy.
Killing in war is not murder. Killing a helpless, innocent human being is.
The Conservative in me does not support government intrusion into peoples' reproductive lives.
We're not talking about government intruding into someone's sex life. We're talking about slaughtering, in the most gruesome manner imaginable, 1.5 million of the most helpless, innocent human beings on the planet.

Do you even know what abortion really is or what it really looks like? Tell ya what, go to these two websites and educate yourself, then come back here and tell me you support doing that to other human beings:

http://www.100abortionpictures.com/Aborted_Ba...

http://www.abortioninstruments.com/
guess who

Dexter, MO

#35 Jul 7, 2013
You GOPers are so against gays. Don't you know Jason is also gay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Sarah Palin save Pat Roberts in tight Kansa... 2 min Lawrence Wolf 37
Obama to broaden US effort to combat militants 2 min Smokin Joe 562
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min Jimmy Olsen 265,417
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min forks_make_us_fat 1,114,919
Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes 5 min Righteous 153
Pat Roberts to bring Jeb Bush to campaign in Wi... 9 min Lawrence Wolf 18
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 10 min atenoa 5,658
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min Cornelius Scudmister 155,331
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr ChristineM 117,307

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE