Hispanics to soon surpass whites in C...

Hispanics to soon surpass whites in California

There are 394 comments on the KFMB-TV San Diego story from Jan 31, 2013, titled Hispanics to soon surpass whites in California. In it, KFMB-TV San Diego reports that:

Hispanics will become the largest ethnic group in the nation's most populous state early next year, the California Department of Finance said Thursday, marking a big milestone in a long-running demographic shift that has already deeply altered the political balance of power, the economy and culture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFMB-TV San Diego.

Maried

Bryant, AR

#343 Feb 6, 2013
Kind of funny when somebody says fact without the info to back them up just running there mouth unlike posting facts form places like CNN maybe they should call CNN and tell them they are wrong and they know everything.
dwg

Everett, MA

#344 Feb 6, 2013
Maried wrote:
Myth
Fact
Source
1. Immigrants don’t pay taxes
All immigrants pay taxes, whether income, property, sales, or other. As far as income tax payments go, sources vary in their accounts, but a range of studies find that immigrants pay between $90 and $140 billion a year in federal, state, and local taxes. Even undocumented immigrants pay income taxes, as evidenced by the Social Security Administration’s “suspense file”(taxes that cannot be matched to workers’ names and social security numbers), which grew $20 billion between 1990 and 1998.
National Academy of Sciences, Cato Institute, Urban Institute, Social Security Administration
2. Immigrants come here to take
welfare1
Immigrants come to work and reunite with family members. Immigrant labor force participation is consistently higher than native-born, and immigrant workers make up a larger share of the U.S. labor force (12.4%) than they do the U.S. population (11.5%). Moreover, the ratio between immigrant use of public benefits and the amount of taxes they pay is consistently favorable to the U.S., unless the “study” was undertaken by an anti-immigrant group. In one estimate, immigrants earn about $240 billion a year, pay about $90 billion a year in taxes, and use about $5 billion in public benefits. In another cut of the data, immigrant tax payments total $20 to $30 billion more than the amount of government services they use.
American Immigration Lawyers Association, Urban Institute
3. Immigrants send all their money back to their home countries
In addition to the consumer spending of immigrant households, immigrants and their businesses contribute $162 billion in tax revenue to U.S. federal, state, and local governments. While it is true that immigrants remit billions of dollars a year to their home countries, this is one of the most targeted and effective forms of direct foreign investment.
Cato Institute, Inter-American Development Bank
4. Immigrants take jobs and
opportunity away from Americans
The largest wave of immigration to the U.S. since the early 1900s coincided with our lowest national unemployment rate and fastest economic growth. Immigrant entrepreneurs create jobs for U.S. and foreign workers, and foreign-born students allow many U.S. graduate programs to keep their doors open. While there has been no comprehensive study done of immigrant-owned businesses, we have countless examples: in Silicon Valley, companies begun by Chinese and Indian immigrants generated more than $19.5 billion in sales and nearly 73,000 jobs in 2000.
Brookings Institution
5. Immigrants are a drain on the U.S. economy
During the 1990s, half of all new workers were foreign-born, filling gaps left by native-born workers in both the high- and low-skill ends of the spectrum. Immigrants fill jobs in key sectors, start their own businesses, and contribute to a thriving economy. The net benefit of immigration to the U.S. is nearly $10 billion annually. As Alan Greenspan points out, 70% of immigrants arrive in prime working age. That means we haven’t spent a penny on their education, yet they are
National Academy of Sciences, Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University, Federal Reserve
MYTH >>>>>>>IN ACTION OF AMERICAN VOTERS BY 27 YEARS ( 1986-2013 )

Dwg
dwg

Everett, MA

#345 Feb 6, 2013
MYTH>>>>> inaction of american voters by 27 years

Dwg
hitem

South Boston, VA

#346 Feb 6, 2013
Maried wrote:
Kind of funny when somebody says fact without the info to back them up just running there mouth unlike posting facts form places like CNN maybe they should call CNN and tell them they are wrong and they know everything.
Here you go ancor baby baring pos

The annual cost for uncompensated emergency care to Mexican Border States (California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas) is $200 million. California taxpayers paid $79 million for illegal alien health care. Four major Los Angeles hospitals were bankrupted and shut down in 2004. Texas paid $74 million. Georgia ran a $63 million deficit for 64,000 unpaid doctor visits in 2002. Cochise County, Arizona spent 30% of its annual budget on uncompensated care to illegal aliens. University Medical Care in Tucson, Arizona spent $10 million on uncompensated care to illegal aliens. 77 hospitals in the four Border States now face financial emergencies. Legal citizens are forced to fly emergency patients to other cities for treatment. Taxes are going up to compensate

Learn to shut mouth before foot enters
Maried

Bryant, AR

#347 Feb 6, 2013
They still say they bring in more taxes then what they use
Maried

Bryant, AR

#348 Feb 6, 2013
How does the use of health care ser­vices among undoc­u­mented immi­grants com­pare with U.S. cit­i­zens and legal residents?
As noted, com­par­isons of health care spend­ing con­sis­tently find that total per capita spend­ing on undoc­u­mented immi­grants is lower than spend­ing on legal immi­grants and cit­i­zens. A 2010 study based on data from last decade con­cluded that spend­ing on health care for all immi­grants is lower than for U.S. born cit­i­zens, and that “immi­grants are not con­tribut­ing dis­pro­por­tion­ately to high health care costs in pub­lic pro­grams such as Med­ic­aid.”3 This study found that national health expen­di­tures for immi­grant adults were 55% lower than for U.S. born adults. A 2006 study that looked specif­i­cally at undoc­u­mented immi­grants found that health expen­di­tures were 39% lower for undoc­u­mented men and 54% lower for undoc­u­mented women when com­pared to U.S. born men and women.4 In Los Ange­les County, where the undoc­u­mented pop­u­la­tion rep­re­sents 12% of the total pop­u­la­tion, undoc­u­mented immi­grants con­sume only 6% of med­ical expen­di­tures.5

Use of health care ser­vices is lower among undoc­u­mented adults and their chil­dren – regard­less of the immi­gra­tion sta­tus of those chil­dren – than it is among adult U.S. cit­i­zens and their chil­dren. Undoc­u­mented adults and their chil­dren are less likely than U.S. cit­i­zens to use emer­gency depart­ment care, visit a physi­cian or nurse on an out­pa­tient basis, or use men­tal health or den­tal ser­vices.6 A 2007 sur­vey of undoc­u­mented Lati­nos reported that they are less likely than U.S. born cit­i­zens to have a usual source of care (58% vs. 79%) or to have their blood pres­sure (67% vs. 87%) and cho­les­terol (56% vs. 83%) checked annu­ally.7 When undoc­u­mented immi­grants do use health care ser­vices, they are more likely than U.S. cit­i­zens to pay out of pocket for this care.8

How does the use of health care ser­vices among undoc­u­mented immi­grants com­pare with U.S. cit­i­zens and legal residents?
As noted, com­par­isons of health care spend­ing con­sis­tently find that total per capita spend­ing on undoc­u­mented immi­grants is lower than spend­ing on legal immi­grants and cit­i­zens. A 2010 study based on data from last decade con­cluded that spend­ing on health care for all immi­grants is lower than for U.S. born cit­i­zens, and that “immi­grants are not con­tribut­ing dis­pro­por­tion­ately to high health care costs in pub­lic pro­grams such as Med­ic­aid.”3 This study found that national health expen­di­tures for immi­grant adults were 55% lower than for U.S. born adults. A 2006 study that looked specif­i­cally at undoc­u­mented immi­grants found that health expen­di­tures were 39% lower for undoc­u­mented men and 54% lower for undoc­u­mented women when com­pared to U.S. born men and women.4 In Los Ange­les County, where the undoc­u­mented pop­u­la­tion rep­re­sents 12% of the total pop­u­la­tion, undoc­u­mented immi­grants con­sume only 6% of med­ical expen­di­tures.5

Use of health care ser­vices is lower among undoc­u­mented adults and their chil­dren – regard­less of the immi­gra­tion sta­tus of those chil­dren – than it is among adult U.S. cit­i­zens and their chil­dren. Undoc­u­mented adults and their chil­dren are less likely than U.S. cit­i­zens to use emer­gency depart­ment care, visit a physi­cian or nurse on an out­pa­tient basis, or use men­tal health or den­tal ser­vices.6 A 2007 sur­vey of undoc­u­mented Lati­nos reported that they are less likely than U.S. born cit­i­zens to have a usual source of care (58% vs. 79%) or to have their blood pres­sure (67% vs. 87%) and cho­les­terol (56% vs. 83%) checked annu­ally.7 When undoc­u­mented immi­grants do use health care ser­vices, they are more likely than U.S. cit­i­zens to pay out of pocket for this care.8
Maried

Bryant, AR

#349 Feb 6, 2013
Maried

Bryant, AR

#350 Feb 6, 2013
overage due to eligibility restrictions.
Non-citizens are much more likely to be uninsured than citizens, but they are not the primary factor driving the nation’s uninsured problem.
Due to their limited access to employer-based health coverage and restrictions for public coverage, non-citizens (legal and undocumented) are far more likely to be uninsured than citizens (47% vs. 15%). However, because non-citizens represent a relatively small share of the U.S. population, they are not the primary cause of the nation’s growing uninsured problem. Although legal and undocumented non-citizens accounted for 22% of the nonelderly uninsured in 2006, citizens still made up the bulk of the uninsured (78%). Further, the majority (76%-80%) of the growth in the number of uninsured from 2000 to 2006 occurred among citizens, not legal and undocumented non-citizens.
Federal law generally bars undocumented immigrants and recent legal immigrants from receiving Medicaid and SCHIP coverage.
Undocumented and temporary immigrants have generally been restricted from enrolling in Medicaid and SCHIP since the programs’ inception. Further, since 1996, most legal non- citizens have not been eligible for Medicaid and SCHIP for the first five years they reside in the U.S. After five years, they can enroll if they meet the programs’ other eligibility requirements. Although many non-citizens are precluded from Medicaid and SCHIP, emergency treatment is available to all immigrants, and some states use state-only funds to cover some low-income immigrants who are excluded from Medicaid and SCHIP under the federal restrictions.
Non-citizens receive significantly less health care than citizens.
Largely due to their higher uninsured rate, non-citizens are much less likely than citizens to have a usual source of care, to have had any recent contact with a health professional, or to receive preventive or primary care. As a result of their lower use of care, non-citizens have significantly lower per capita health care expenditures than citizens. In 2005, average annual per capita health care expenditures for non-citizens were $1,797 versus $3,702 for citizens.
Non-citizens are significantly less likely to use the emergency room than citizens.
Even though non-citizens have poorer access to care and receive less primary care than citizens, they are significantly less likely than citizens to use the emergency room. Some 13% of adult non-citizens report an emergency room visit in the past year compared to 20% of citizens. Further, communities with low rates of emergency department use tend to have much higher concentrations of non-citizens than areas with high rates of eme

http://www.kff.org/medicaid/upload/7761.pdf
hitem

South Boston, VA

#351 Feb 6, 2013
Maried wrote:
http://www.undocumentedpatient s.org/issuebrief/health-care-u se/
Stop justifying your illegal husband and ancor baby life, no one else would have you but a illegal get over it you dont fool us
Maried

Bryant, AR

#352 Feb 6, 2013
While it is true that providing treatment to undocumented immigrants creates a drain on hospital resources, the question is: How much of the problem can reasonably be attributed to the undocumented? And if we solved the problem of illegal immigration tomorrow — which we won’t — would health care costs return to “reasonable” levels?
Illegal immigrants are responsible for roughly 20 percent of the $2 billion in unreimbursed care that Southern California hospitals deliver each year. Even if you consider that factor, you have to conclude that it’s the larger problem of just simply having so many uninsured patients that is a key driver of rising hospital costs.
In order to receive federal Medicare and Medicaid payments, a hospital must agree to treat and stabilize everybody who shows up to a hospital ER regardless of their ability to pay or their immigration status. That means undocumented immigrants who show up at the emergency room will receive treatment regardless of their immigration status or whether they’re insured. But so will legal immigrants, naturalized citizens and native-born Americans.

http://www.hasc.org/blog-entry/focusing-healt...

20% what about the 80% that a lot bigger problem I would be more worried about that
ronnie

Salt Lake City, UT

#353 Feb 6, 2013
Maried wrote:
86 percent of undocumented immigrants have been living in the United States for seven years or longer.
5.2 percent of the U.S. labor force consisted of undocumented immigrants in 2010, even though they comprise only 3.7 percent of the nation’s population.
45 percent of unauthorized immigrant households are composed of couples with children. By comparison, the figure for U.S. native households and legal immigrant households is 21 percent and 34 percent, respectively.
16.6 million people are in families with at least one undocumented immigrant, and 9 million of these families are of “mixed status” with at least one unauthorized adult and one U.S.-born child.
4.5 million U.S.-born children had at least one unauthorized immigrant parent in 2010, an increase from 2.1 million in 2000.
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigr...
You can cut and paste all the crap you want to from researcher's that are pro-illegals OR LARAZA AND OR MAKE UP your own information based on your demographic, but in the real world, illegals are flooding Utah and I'm certain every other State in the Country. I have people working in Management in Nevada and who also run Construction Co., that are hiring new arrivals every day in Utah and Nevada. You cannot dispute the truth. They are not revenue Neutral at all. And if you had the experiences that I've had and many other's on this forum up close and in our face, you would agree with us. Being married to an illegal alien doesn't make you expert on the subject.
Maried

Bryant, AR

#354 Feb 6, 2013
hitem wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop justifying your illegal husband and ancor baby life, no one else would have you but a illegal get over it you dont fool us
My husband is legal and my baby is an USA citizen he got his papers before our son was born so don't call him an anchor baby as well as husband will become a USA citizen this year too took 5 years of permanent residence before you can take the test as far as he is the only one who have I turn heads in the store and I'm sure if you saw me alone you would hit on me too plus make 18 an hour too bad for you I'm married
hitem

South Boston, VA

#355 Feb 6, 2013
You all see I gave married aka to a illegal facts from mexifornia nd she spews off bs
Maried

Bryant, AR

#356 Feb 6, 2013
It's not made up go the links to see for your self by the way he is not Mexican or illegal sounds like you guys don't like the facts but facts are facts study done by CNN are facts and the countless other study's I have posted not random talk
Maried

Bryant, AR

#357 Feb 6, 2013
ronnie wrote:
<quoted text>You can cut and paste all the crap you want to from researcher's that are pro-illegals OR LARAZA AND OR MAKE UP your own information based on your demographic, but in the real world, illegals are flooding Utah and I'm certain every other State in the Country. I have people working in Management in Nevada and who also run Construction Co., that are hiring new arrivals every day in Utah and Nevada. You cannot dispute the truth. They are not revenue Neutral at all. And if you had the experiences that I've had and many other's on this forum up close and in our face, you would agree with us. Being married to an illegal alien doesn't make you expert on the subject.
So if you work in management why are you hiring them if you don't like them
FritoBandito

San Diego, CA

#358 Feb 6, 2013
hitem wrote:
You all see I gave married aka to a illegal facts from mexifornia nd she spews off bs
Stop justifying your Appalachia trailer trash lifestyle. You're even a bigger tax than an illegal.

Since: Feb 13

Harrisburg, AR

#359 Feb 6, 2013
hitem wrote:
I usually just read these things and laugh, but I wanted to add in my two cents. First “Maried” learn to spell. I understand the name “Married” might have been taken, but try something creative with proper spelling. Otherwise you start off coming across as someone who is uneducated. Second, CNN is not the best place to find articles. All media of any kind twists things to their own point of view. Instead look for the actual studies that CNN is at least reliable enough to reference. Unlike opinion articles trying to pose as news articles.(More on that in a bit) Also, understand that there are conservative groups that perform research and liberal groups that perform research. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. So always figure out where the research is coming from. I must say that at least you take the time to look up credible articles to back up your “facts,” as well as providing the link so people can confirm the validity of your statements. So props to you for not just spewing opinions but actually taking the time to explain why you think the way you do without personally attacking people with the opposite opinion. But be careful as people will personally attack when they are backed in a corner.

Aside from the “research” provide by maried (hate typing that horrible misspelling) I don’t see other people posting studies or credible sources. It is all about I know this because I say so. Or I know so and so and they say it is so. Seriously people?!?!? Same advice to you as I gave Maried…do your research and find studies, but be aware of the groups who did the studies. Hitem is the only person who attempted to post actual numbers to back up their opinion. The only problem is no actually credit source was cited. So I took the initiative and googled the quote. I ended up here http://www.newswithviews.com/DeWeese/tom106.h... the name of the website says it all “News with Views.” Really it is all views from what I can tell after reading 6 different articles. They are filled with opinions, references to different acts and laws, but never did I find where any of the numbers that were presented as facts to cite any real study. The only citations were to other opinion articles presented as news.
juan

Lodi, CA

#360 Feb 6, 2013
FritoBandito wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop justifying your Appalachia trailer trash lifestyle. You're even a bigger tax than an illegal.
4 SHO
ronnie

Salt Lake City, UT

#361 Feb 6, 2013
Maried wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you work in management why are you hiring them if you don't like them
I don't hire one of them. I have family that hate their gut's but have to hire them in Nevada. I could tell you all some stories about the truth of what's happening in Nevada. And I have mentioned some. But I need to protect my sources.They are forced to hire them. That's all I can say about it.

Since: Feb 13

Harrisburg, AR

#362 Feb 6, 2013
ronnie wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hire one of them. I have family that hate their gut's but have to hire them in Nevada. I could tell you all some stories about the truth of what's happening in Nevada. And I have mentioned some. But I need to protect my sources.They are forced to hire them. That's all I can say about it.
"Stories about the truth"??? Seriously? I could tell a true story about a purple rino with yellow polka dots, and state over and over again that it is the truth. And I could say I can't actually prove it with facts because I have to protect my source. So how many people would believe in my purple rino with yellow polka dots?

"They are forced to hire them"??? Wow, don't know how anyone can be forced into knowingly hiring illegal immigrants. Guess the police showed up and threatened to throw them in jail if they didn't hire these supposed awful horrible untrustworthy people to work for them. Or wait, I know the mafia showed up and threatened to shut them down if they did not hire illegal immigrants. Oh wait, my bad I get it now.....the illegal immigrants showed up, pointed a gun to their heads and said hire me, an illegal immigrant, or I will make you pay.

Just a note from someone who has experience in the construction business in many states, including the two most predominant plants being in Utah and Nevada, I have never heard of anyone being forced to hire immigrants. Illegal or not. Of course I can't prove this with facts because I have to protect my sources. So just trust me.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min cathy1691823 1,395,307
News Britain pressured for quick EU split as Brexit ... 1 min Le Jimbo 45
News GOP seizes on video to hit Hillary Clinton on t... 3 min BHM5267 2
News For Obama, setbacks from a divided Supreme Court 3 min Le Jimbo 5
News The Latest: Wendy Davis calls abortion ruling g... 3 min Far Away 1
News Donald Trump: Brexit is sign of independence de... 4 min abc 209
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Dr Guru 216,780
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 8 min Just Think 3,454
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 14 min Taletha 16 388,109
News 50 dead in Florida nightclub shooting, worst in... 52 min OK Barry 1,348
More from around the web