In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,713

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#16088 Jun 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
That toxic shock clear up yet, KrustyOdor? you are still symptomatic...
Says the self-glorifying godbot.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#16089 Jun 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have better things to do with my time.
Why aren't you doing one of 'em?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#16090 Jun 13, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I'm waiting for the explanation of this. I'm sure there are apologetics ready and at hand for this nonsensical idea.
I don't think it's forthcoming!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#16091 Jun 13, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>"O assembly of jinn and men, did there not come to you messengers from among you..." (6:131).
"Indeed We created man from dried clay of black smooth mud. And We created the Jinn before that from the smokeless flame of fire"
(Surah Al-Hijr 15:26-27)
"I did not create the Jinn and mankind except to worship Me"
(Surah Ad-Dhariyat 51:56)
Islam is an Abrahamic religion. Jinns are not mentioned in the material (Torah/Tanakh) from which the religion arose, but 'Jinn' is a synonym for saints or spirits which can appear in human form.
The original meaning of Jinn was a creation that lives on earth, not in heaven. This shows that Muslims, like Christians, have interpreted their scriptures to mean whatever they like.
Jinns can also be Muslim or non-Muslim. They were never heavenly beings.
The more I learn of religions, the more I see that their adherents just make up whatever sounds good to them in order to explain their superstitions.
Huh, weird. Sounds interesting! Lots of material there for fiction and fantasy writing!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#16092 Jun 13, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, free will and omniscience present no logical contradiction.
The free will choice causes the foreknowledge, not vice versa.
The opposite choice would cause the opposite foreknowledge, as the apparent paradox is due to the limited concept of forward time, as the omniscient entity is atemporal.
You need to define free will for us to decide if you're talking about what others are talking about. I'm pretty well convinced that free will as I define it is an illusion.

Worse, even if will is not determined by the brain or anything else, it would be pretty near impossible to demonstrate that will is free or uncaused.

And worse yet, free will means indeterminate will, and thus will that nobody can know in advance - nobody, not a god, and not even the self that apparently generated it.

Have you ever provided a definition of free will that would clearly distinguish it from other things that are NOT free will. or that would allow us to decide wither something in question qualified as free will?

Look at how I give lip service to the idea that you might do that, knowing full well that I will be the one to have to provide a definition of free will, including an operational definition.

My actual purpose here will be to show how you evade, in part with the deliberate choice to blur language and keep it indistinct. As chief obfuscator, your job will be to prevent a clear definition of free will - including a test - from emerging, so that you can continue to refer to free will as if it has definite properties, without having to say what those are.

Now, what is free will as you mean it?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#16093 Jun 13, 2012
TrueAtheist wrote:
For my fellow freethinkers in this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mhO2wGLA79YXX
Atheism offers nothing to me,
it never has and never will,
it doesn't make me feel good or comfort me,
it's not there for me when I'm sick or ill,
it won't intervene in my times of need or protect me from hate,
it doesn't care if I fail or succeed,
it won't wipe the tears from my eyes,
it does nothing when I have no where to run,
it won't give me wise words or advice,
it has no teaches for me to learn,
it can't show me what's bad or nice,
it's never inspired or excited anyone,
it won't help me fulfill all my goals,
it won't tell me to stop when I'm having fun,
it's never saved one single soul,
it doesn't take credit for everything I achieve,
it won't make me get down on bended knee,
it doesn't demand that I have to believe,
it won't torture me for eternity,
it won't teach me to hate or despise others,
it won't tell me what's right or wrong,
it can't tell nobody not to be lovers,
it's told no one they don't belong,
it won't make you think life is worth living,
it has nothing to offer me, yeah, that's true,
but the reason Atheism offers me nothing is because I've never asked it to,
Atheism offers nothing because it doesn't need to,
Religion promises everything because you want it to,
You don't need a Religion or to have faith,
You just want it because you need to feel safe,
I want to feel reality and nothing more,
Atheism offers me everything,
but Religion has stolen before
Well said! Well said!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#16094 Jun 13, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Why aren't you doing one of 'em?
Just what I was thinking.

He's neglecting the "better things," I guess for our benefit?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#16095 Jun 13, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to define free will for us to decide if you're talking about what others are talking about. I'm pretty well convinced that free will as I define it is an illusion.
Worse, even if will is not determined by the brain or anything else, it would be pretty near impossible to demonstrate that will is free or uncaused.
And worse yet, free will means indeterminate will, and thus will that nobody can know in advance - nobody, not a god, and not even the self that apparently generated it.
Have you ever provided a definition of free will that would clearly distinguish it from other things that are NOT free will. or that would allow us to decide wither something in question qualified as free will?
Look at how I give lip service to the idea that you might do that, knowing full well that I will be the one to have to provide a definition of free will, including an operational definition.
My actual purpose here will be to show how you evade, in part with the deliberate choice to blur language and keep it indistinct. As chief obfuscator, your job will be to prevent a clear definition of free will - including a test - from emerging, so that you can continue to refer to free will as if it has definite properties, without having to say what those are.
Did I tell you that Jonah Lehrer has a new book out? Best-seller.

You want it?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#16096 Jun 13, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha

I like this.

And now we wait.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#16097 Jun 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
NO one can reduce you
Least of all you, little man.

Since: May 12

Canoga Park, CA

#16098 Jun 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which freethinkers are you talking about?
I see a bunch of sheep.
The free thinkers who don't let an ancient book tell them what to think.

Canoga Park, CA

#16099 Jun 13, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Outstanding.
Yours?
I wish I could claim it as my own, but no it's not mine. I found the youtube video a while back on a profile of an Arab Atheist. Believe it or not Atheism is growing trend in Muslim countries. But for the most part they hide who they are and live in fear. So when someone comes out like this and openly admits that they are an atheist, it's a big deal. The rest of the videos on the profile are in pharisee. I thought this was video.

Canoga Park, CA

#16100 Jun 13, 2012
How many religions actually believe in eternal damnation? As far as I know it's 2, at least I think so, and that's Christianity and Muslim. I know Judaism doesn't and I don't think any others do, but can anyone confirm this?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#16105 Jun 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning sweetie, did your mommy allow you out to play again? How nice of her.
Prophetic words from some weeks back....
Khatru wrote:
barefoot's raison d'etre is to disagree incessantly with as many people as he can cope with (it's a lot). For him, the endless argument over issues that nobody cares about except him is
everything. Facts count for little in barefoot's world and to him they are a minor irritant to his overriding objective of reducing any discussion to inane name-calling.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#16106 Jun 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I tell you that Jonah Lehrer has a new book out? Best-seller.
You want it?
No relation to the great Tom Lehrer?

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#16112 Jun 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
A wee little man he is.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#16117 Jun 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that has internal logic in Islamic teachings then.
Are Jinn specifically mentioned in the Koran?
The Quran mentions the jinn in various chapters, and there is one chapter (Chapter 72) that discusses them specifically.

“Listen to the sounds”

#16118 Jun 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree more - a fable to abuse children with.
So, in the Koran there is no hell, no eternal torture? Does Allah hate anyone in the Koran?
There is a hell, but the punishment is not eternal. It makes nno sense to punish someone eternally for a finite amount of wrongdoing in a finite amount of time.

The Koran mentions the type of people that are not in Allah's favour and will face punishment. Liars, trouble makers, hypocrites. I suppose if you want to call that hate, it is debatable.

“Listen to the sounds”

#16119 Jun 13, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> On the other hand, someone who does not believe in God (or Gods) can do these very same things, knowing that both good and bad live within each human being.
One can be introspective without a God as well as with one.
Good people who are theists will use introspection correctly and become better people. Bad people will not.
Just because you come to a better place in life because of your belief in a God does not mean others cannot come to that same place without a belief in God. It is the indoctrinated point of view that one has to come to this place by only one viewpoint, and that viewpoint being a belief in a supernatural deity (no matter which deity it is).
Agreed. Whatever works for you. My religion happens to work for me, so I follow its principles and teachings. If you got something else or feel you don't need anything else, then good for you.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#16120 Jun 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Man????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min Injudgement 172,225
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Grey Ghost 1,191,131
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu atten... 16 min Le Duped 45
Federal judge blocks Nebraska's gay marriage ban 16 min Cordwainer Trout 4
Veteran Democratic Sen. Mikulski won't seek re-... 20 min Le Duped 2
Giuliani explains why Obama doesn't love America 22 min spud 602
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 23 min ChristineM 4,826
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Independent patriot 312,967
Brrr! February brought record cold, snow to Nor... 8 hr Quirky 29
Scott Walker reverses immigration stance 9 hr kuda 49
More from around the web