In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12487 May 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that any candidate is an atheist.
I understand: you don't know what proof is, that is why you fill this forum (which you seem to think you own) with your illogical, drug-induced rants.
Prove it.
Tell us the name of someone in the US running for political office who is a atheist but is in the closet.
Start with the POTUS.
There isn't a candidate at this time who is an atheist. And no candidate in his right mind would claim atheism.

I think someone already posted the information for which you are once again asking. Maybe you should do some research somewhere besides apologetics websites. Or maybelike Hey Pal you're using Alex to get your information.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12488 May 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that would be so cool! I would become immortal just by posting on forums. Win.
You'll be famous!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#12489 May 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I often wonder why us atheists bother trying to educate you.
'Us' atheists?

And you wonder why when you say "us atheist" people laugh at your ignorance?

Before you finish the sentence?

Educate me?

You told us that agnostics were "technically" atheists.

You aren't in the position to educate anyone, KrustyOdor.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12490 May 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pearls before swine, HOney.
You fundies love that phrase. It makes you feel superior. You're not. In fact, you're very inferior.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#12491 May 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove someone hides their 'atheism'.
Clearly, among BIGOTS such as you, HOney, they would be wise to hide their Christianity.
Obviously: bigotry is not restricted to theists.
No one ever claimed that bigotry is not present in atheists. The difference is that atheists do not act on that bigotry or push for laws supporting it. Nor can any atheist ever claim anything supports that bigotry as well.

I hate politicians, don't even care what side of the fences they are sitting, I just hate them. I'm a bigot, as soon as someone says they're a politician I instantly distrust them. But I am not trying to reduce their rights as human beings, nor am I out shooting them.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#12492 May 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
Question:
Why do atheists hide their atheism from their families? Are atheists ashamed?
Response:
Not all atheists hide their atheism from friends, neighbors, coworkers, and family, but it's true that many do. This doesn't mean that they are necessarily ashamed of their atheism; instead, it often means that they are afraid of the reactions of others if they find out and this is because so many religious theists especially Christians are intolerant of atheism and atheists. Thus atheists hiding their atheism isn't an indictment of atheism, it's an indictment of religious theism.
Revealing atheism to loved ones, especially to religious parents, can be a very difficult task at least as difficult as it is for someone to reveal that they are gay. It's not a political tactic for atheists to talk about "coming out of the closet," a phrase which has been used for years by gay activists. Instead, it's a recognition that the experience of having to hide atheism is analogous to that of having to hide homosexuality and the reasons for having to do so are very similar.
http://atheism.about.com/od/comingoutasanathe...
I'd like to add that saying you're Gnostic or Agnostic doesn't fare much better.
Yeah, I've lost some friends over the years when they found out I was atheist. Some that had been friends for quite a long while. Nothing lost really, but it still stings. Some were friends of many years. Some don't have a problem with it, on the bright side.

I used to run across people, become friends and then, after they got to know me, if it came up, I'd say I was atheist, thinking that them knowing me first, and then finding that I was atheist would somehow make a difference. I thought that they'd reason, "well, he's been a good guy all this time".

Nah.

A couple times, they literally grabbed their kids up and looked at me like I was a danger. A few i still see on occasion to this day, and they avoid talking, avoid eye contact(which to me..*wink*), and behavior that really is ridiculous.

These days I just bring it up. Get it out there and then there is no sting or friendship lost.

I'll say I never really experienced that in any place but the South. Most other places I've lived weren't too bad. I've never lived in the Mid West so I can't comment about there too much, but I'm guessing it's the same.

I'm a fairly rugged individual, ex Army, raised up rough and raw here in the south, used to hunt and rock climb, been down hell rivers, experienced woodsman, etc..

I go wherever I please.

But, I don't broadcast I'm atheist, since there is an undercurrent of zealots that on a drunken(or not) whim, if they knew where I lived and I had been 'too uppity" in voicing my opinions, might decide to burn a house or something along those lines. Not in a confrontation, but cowardly, while my son and I were gone, or something along those lines, and I'm not prone to worry about anything.

But I'm aware of that.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#12493 May 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey now, I love YouTube as well, lots of great stuff on there, but like all sites that allow free speech, it gets some nutjobs as well. There are lectures from some of the greatest scientific minds on there, and many are filmed live these days then stored as videos. You just have to know what's crackpot and what's not. ;)
I completely agree. You do NOT fall into the same category as Hey Pal. As a matter of fact I've either seen, or am acquainted with much of what you link.

)

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12494 May 30, 2012
Hey Pal wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I verify every thing Alex Jones or anybody says or makes on You-Tube!
I read Government bills that have been passed to verify the information.
www.opencongress.com
No, you do just exactly what you did with the video you published. You verify the conspiracy theories you're being fed rather than what is actually there.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#12495 May 30, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've lost some friends over the years when they found out I was atheist. Some that had been friends for quite a long while. Nothing lost really, but it still stings. Some were friends of many years. Some don't have a problem with it, on the bright side.
I used to run across people, become friends and then, after they got to know me, if it came up, I'd say I was atheist, thinking that them knowing me first, and then finding that I was atheist would somehow make a difference. I thought that they'd reason, "well, he's been a good guy all this time".
Nah.
A couple times, they literally grabbed their kids up and looked at me like I was a danger. A few i still see on occasion to this day, and they avoid talking, avoid eye contact(which to me..*wink*), and behavior that really is ridiculous.
These days I just bring it up. Get it out there and then there is no sting or friendship lost.
I'll say I never really experienced that in any place but the South. Most other places I've lived weren't too bad. I've never lived in the Mid West so I can't comment about there too much, but I'm guessing it's the same.
I'm a fairly rugged individual, ex Army, raised up rough and raw here in the south, used to hunt and rock climb, been down hell rivers, experienced woodsman, etc..
I go wherever I please.
But, I don't broadcast I'm atheist, since there is an undercurrent of zealots that on a drunken(or not) whim, if they knew where I lived and I had been 'too uppity" in voicing my opinions, might decide to burn a house or something along those lines. Not in a confrontation, but cowardly, while my son and I were gone, or something along those lines, and I'm not prone to worry about anything.
But I'm aware of that.
I've had similar reactions a time or two.

Oddly, only in this country.

Never had a problem in Ireland - nobody cares.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12496 May 30, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>There's a whole grain one, made with Irish Whiskey.
I'm very fond of it, but can't recall the name.
Lakeshore.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12497 May 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove someone hides their 'atheism'.
Clearly, among BIGOTS such as you, HOney, they would be wise to hide their Christianity.
Obviously: bigotry is not restricted to theists.
Drain bramage.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12498 May 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO You are funny. You read all the actual documents? Unless you work for the CIA I doubt you even know what they look like.
The site he gave is not even the government site for the bills. Open Congress is a conspiracy theorist site.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12499 May 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, life is hard.
If you can't be honest with your parents, whose fault is that?
The fault of religitard parents.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12500 May 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
'Us' atheists?
And you wonder why when you say "us atheist" people laugh at your ignorance?
Before you finish the sentence?
Educate me?
You told us that agnostics were "technically" atheists.
You aren't in the position to educate anyone, KrustyOdor.
More meltdown.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#12501 May 30, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah.
I go wherever I please.
But I'm aware of that.
Remember that I also live in the Bible Belt of the South. It ain't easy.
Hey Pal

United States

#12502 May 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>No, you do just exactly what you did with the video you published. You verify the conspiracy theories you're being fed rather than what is actually there.
Once again you have a real bad habit of calling people on here liar's when will you learn to let your guard down and just take my truth at face value like a good friend?
But no you gotta shove my info back in my face to try to up your drama show on here!

Bravo ...Encore..Encore for you!
Hey Pal

United States

#12504 May 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are twisting my word! The pink bunnies have gotten to you too!
Hey post the damn bunny video or shut the heck up about it already!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#12505 May 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Pink bunny rabbits are poised to invade our minds with alien devices! WAKE UP AMERICA! They pretend to be cute, but it's really a guise to hide their evil alien jellyfish selves from the rest of us! WAKE UP AMERICA! Fear the pink bunny rabbits before it's too late!
.. how did you figure us out so quickly ??..

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#12506 May 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't told us how many friends you have either.
.. just you baby, just you ..

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#12507 May 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Lakeshore.
That's it!

Only ever had it a coupla times, but it's good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min Bear Claw 58,756
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Go fish 1,703,153
News President Donald Trump pauses as he arrives to ... 3 min swampmudd 84
News FBI in public fight with Trump over releasing R... 5 min too much 1,270
News Donald Trump claims Dreamer immigrants have bee... 5 min Denture Trailer Park 5
News In Trump's First Year, Anti-Abortion Forces Mak... 7 min Sheriff Joe 529 161
Drake says T-Minus is one of his favorite Produ... 7 min Kruger_3X_Angelic 125
News News Trump continues to paint immigrants as cri... 57 min big tiki 665
News Dem Sen Nelson: 'Let's Get These Assault Weapon... 1 hr YouDidntBuildThat 77
More from around the web