In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments (Page 2,334)

Showing posts 46,661 - 46,680 of47,725
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
So therefore Americans do not vote for the president.
I voted for POTUS in November.

As did 120 million other Americans.

Over in the UK, one person gets to vote on who is Prime minister.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
<
Of course not because people do not "run" for PM.
Of course not.

Prime ministers are appointed by the monarch.

mon·ar·chy mon-er-kee]
noun, plural mon·ar·chies.
1. a state or nation in which the supreme power is actually ***** or nominally **** lodged in a monarch. Compare absolute monarchy, limited monarchy.

2. supreme power or sovereignty held by a single person.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
I have every bit as much say as who is the United States president as you.
A lie repeated one thousand times is still a lie.

I guess you are working on the second thousand.
SupaAFC

Carrickfergus, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I voted for POTUS in November.
As did 120 million other Americans.
Then the Electoral College convened to cast the votes that mattered. Yours was not included because yours does not count.

I have the twelfth amendment. You have, well... nothing.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Over in the UK, one person gets to vote on who is Prime minister.
And that one person has an amazing 100 percent track record of appointing the leader of the majority party.

Every single time after every single election.

How do you explain that, manchild?
SupaAFC

Carrickfergus, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not.
Prime ministers are appointed by the monarch.
And the Queen's 100 percent record is uncanny.

Could it just be that, as usual, you are dishonestly trying to distort what is a blatant ceremonial power? I think so.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
mon·ar·chy mon-er-kee]
1. a state or nation in which the supreme power is actually ***** or nominally **** lodged in a monarch. Compare absolute monarchy, limited monarchy.
You have pasted this plenty of times and it still explains nothing. I dare you, manchild, to define democracy and show the world how having a monarch as head of state stops a country from being classified as a democracy.

I dare you.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>A lie repeated one thousand times is still a lie.
And yet you persist in pretending that the twelfth amendment does not say what it says.

Once again, the manchild is playing hypocrite.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the Electoral College
~stomp stomp stomp~

I voted for POTUS last November.

When did you last vote for Prime Minister, SuperFAG?

SuperFAG writes:
If Britain is a monarchy then the Queen should have legislative powers.

She does not.

Thus, Britain's system of government is not a monarchy.
++

SuperFAG writes:
Nobody, despite your continual spin, denies that Britain has a monarchy. Or that it has "powers". Or that the monarch is our head of state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Queen's 100 percent record is uncanny.
I'm not the one pretending the PM of UK is elected, SuperFAG.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
I have the twelfth amendment. You have, well... nothing.
Gosh, I have a constitution with 27 amendments.

You have no written constitution.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the United King_dom a monarchy?
Yes or no?
The UK is a Constitutional Monarchy.

"Constitutional monarchy is form of government in which a monarch acts as head of state within the guidelines of a constitution, whether it be a written, uncodified, or blended constitution. This form of government differs from absolute monarchy in which an absolute monarch serves as the source of power in the state and is not legally bound by any constitution and has the powers to regulate his or her respective government." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_m...

Note the word "act".

Same as Canada. The queen acts as the head of state (though she is represented in Canada by a Governor-General, which is a Canadian appointed for a ceremonial position, and only lasts for a few years at a time).

Essentially the UK is governed by a government with a Prime Minster as the head, as is Canada. The Monarch is ceremonial head in practice, though in theory 'could' perhaps have some power, though I doubt that any country in the British Commonwealth would tolerate her taking that power. Canada certainly wouldn't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so I guess I was right the first time I mentioned it and even though someone who purports to be from the UK is wrong and has been wrong for the last year or so.
Because this conversational is a day or two old, I do not know who in the UK you are referring to, but I am Canadian, and from my point of view, the Monarchy is nothing more than window dressing, and a waste of money for the expense she brings to a country when she occasionally visits. If the UK did not need her for the tourist attraction she appears to have there, so I have been told, she would likely be terminated as a position (not as a human being).

In fact, when Princess Di was still alive, Americans were more fans of the monarchy than were Canadians. That was reported at the time that she was alive. The country which made the biggest deal of Princess Di was the USA. She was an attractive woman who led rather a short tragic life, who got into a loveless marriage probably for foolish reasons at the time, but I suppose all that goes with being a future Queen of England has a certain appeal to a young woman.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh... you've had a monarchy for at least one thousand years.
Guess how long the USA has had a king?
Why guess, the USA has not had a King. The USA came into being when the colonies rebelled against England which they belonged to at that time, and some of the rebelling people were sworn officers of the British Army, such as Washington, and some had been educated in England.

So the USA was set up as Republic by traitors to their own country, which at that time was England. Aside from the fact that the USA is one of England's closest allies now, it was likely well to be rid of them, considering the sordid history that the USA has had since 1776. I suppose had England seriously wanted the USA back it could have done so in the War of 1812, which it could have won had it put more military into the effort, as it did win much of that war, but agreed to a treaty with the USA rather than continuing to fight.

I am kind of wondering how we got into a debate about the governing of England which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of this thread, and is a matter of record anyway, which is easy to look up. Hardly something to be debated.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
mon·ar·chy mon-er-kee]

Government Type: Constitutional monarchy.
Source: Official wesite of the British Monarcy
"Constitutional monarchy is a form of government in which a king or queen acts as Head of State."

Source: UK Parliament
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/education/...

Source: http://www.monarchist.org.uk/constitutional-m...
"A constitutional monarchy is a form of government in which a monarch acts as head of state within the parameters of a written (i.e., codified), unwritten (i.e., uncodified) or blended constitution. "

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-co...

Source: US State Department
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3846.htm

Government type: constitutional monarchy and Commonwealth realm
Source: http://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/gove...

Source: WIKIPedia
The United Kingdom is governed within the framework of a constitutional monarchy, in which the Monarch is the head of state and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is the head of government.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<
Same as Canada.
Not the same as Canada.
SupaAFC

Carrickfergus, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
~stomp stomp stomp~
I voted for POTUS last November.
I had no idea that you were a member of the Electoral College.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you last vote for Prime Minister, SuperFAG?
Why are you still lying about the role of PM?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
SuperFAG writes:
<quoted text>
++
SuperFAG writes:
<quoted text>
We know that you think that Jeff is a car. Why do you keep embarrassing yourself?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not the one pretending the PM of UK is elected, SuperFAG.
Of course you are, hypocritical manchild. We see the PM for what he is; a typical Commons MP who becomes PM by virtue of being the leader of the biggest sitting party.

You, hypocrite, keep asking if I have ever voted for the PM because you, hypocrite, are lying about the PM being some kind of electable office akin to the presidency.

Pretending is your game, manchild.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Gosh, I have a constitution with 27 amendments.

You have no written constitution.
And the twelfth clearly states that the Electoral College - not the people - vote for the president.

Not only are you being schooled on British politics but you are being schooled on your own country's too. How humiliating.
SupaAFC

Carrickfergus, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
"Constitutional monarchy is form of government in which a monarch acts as head of state within the guidelines of a constitution, whether it be a written, uncodified, or blended constitution. This form of government differs from absolute monarchy in which an absolute monarch serves as the source of power in the state and is not legally bound by any constitution and has the powers to regulate his or her respective government." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_m...
Note the word "act".
Same as Canada. The queen acts as the head of state (though she is represented in Canada by a Governor-General, which is a Canadian appointed for a ceremonial position, and only lasts for a few years at a time).
Essentially the UK is governed by a government with a Prime Minster as the head, as is Canada. The Monarch is ceremonial head in practice, though in theory 'could' perhaps have some power, though I doubt that any country in the British Commonwealth would tolerate her taking that power. Canada certainly wouldn't.
You have much to learn about "debating" with Barefoot. He has been told, and shown, various evidence that points towards our monarchy being figureheads and respectful of the democratic process of our government, yet he continually changes his arguments and even contradicts them if need be.

What you will find is that Barefoot will demand you show him a Constitution. For reasons known only to him, he believes that in order to be considered a Constitutional monarchy the country must have a physical Constitution - our scrapbook of laws and treaties somehow do not count.

He will keep pointing to the "powers" of the Queen, but turn a blind eye to how they are used in reality.

Simply, do not expect Barefoot to ever accept being plain wrong. He is excellent for playing whackamole when you have got free time, however. The challenge is to get him into a tantrum faster than last time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<
I am kind of wondering how we got into a debate about the governing of England which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of this thread, and is a matter of record anyway, which is easy to look up. Hardly something to be debated.
debate?

I suggest it is not so much a debate as me repeating the matter of record, and others refusing to acknowledge they are wrong.

The UK is a monarchy: matter of record. The monarch: appoints the PM. Matter of record. The UK has a state religion: no debate, matter of record. The UK has a law requiring requiring collective worship, Christian religion": not a debate.

Matter of public record.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea that you were a member of the Electoral College.
I guess the election in November was a big fake shot in Holly studio, like the moon landing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
We know that you think that Jeff is a car.
Maybe if you keep repeating this: someone will think you are clever.

SupaAFC wrote:
" Wikipedia is the -only- source where the quote shows up ad verbatim"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
He has been told, and shown, various evidence that points towards our monarchy being figureheads and respectful of the democratic process of our government, yet he continually changes his arguments and even contradicts them if need be.
SuperFAG writes:
If Britain is a monarchy then the Queen should have legislative powers.

She does not.

Thus, Britain's system of government is not a monarchy.
++

SuperFAG writes:
Nobody, despite your continual spin, denies that Britain has a monarchy. Or that it has "powers". Or that the monarch is our head of state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

SupaAFC wrote:
What you will find is that Barefoot will demand you show him a Constitution.
Funny how SuperFAG can never find the quote he needs.

Of course, Barefoot2626 has observed that indeed the UK does not in fact have a Constitution and the USA, of course, does.

What you will find from SuperFAG is: when he is caught in a lie, he will invent my "position" by insisting I own the logic that he creates.

Most curious is: he likes to think his created logic is somehow... clever.

E.G.: his Jeff is a car or Jeff thinks he is a car (who knows what he's babbling about).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 46,661 - 46,680 of47,725
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

66 Users are viewing the US News Forum right now

Search the US News Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 min Frankie Rizzo 50,291
CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay Couple We... (Dec '13) 3 min HMT 123 15,355
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min PaddyODogfucker 1,071,312
The crux of the problem is Iran 4 min Ottoman 13
Why did the a poor Mercedes ladya evoke such a ... 4 min sheepleloveroyalty 1
Democrats: No bluff, Obamawill go it alone on i... 4 min No Blue Forever 173
Obama: US always has been a nation of immigrants 5 min Ibn Natas 78
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••