In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51428 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#24892 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
What an intelligent comment, you must be proud, if you think that creationism is a science then you really are retarded and there is no hope for you
He doesn't think it. He knows it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#24893 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the fool that laughably implied Christians lived longer
It probably comforts them to think they will live longer and not have to face their God after disobeying him so badly.
straa

UK

#24894 Jul 11, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool? Do you have a link? Remember, superluminal travel in an extraordinary claim. The brief search I did to link you to the rebuttal I provided didn't indicate me that the debate took another turn, Nor did a two minute follow-up search.
I did find this at http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/en... dated last March, though, which I liked for unrelated reasons:
"But Patrizii disagrees. "We’re allowed to be wrong," she said. "Physicists, they can be wrong. Physics is not. Eventually we will see what is true.""
You go, girl!
"To Glashow, an experiment that turns up a surprise—even if it turns out to be untrue—is a good thing that can push physics further. "We need surprises, we depend on results that contradict our own theories. We want to be contradicted.""
You won't hear that from the pope.
And finally, a little humor from the scientists: ""There was only one plausible theoretical explanation that I heard for this result. When the neutrinos are produced in Switzerland, they travel at the speed of light. Then, as soon as they pass the border into Italy, they no longer respect the speed limits," Giudice joked."
I'm sure if you Google recent physics news or something you'll find it, it is indeed an extraordinary claim and three of the original team didn't sign it off because they weren't convinced, but two of them have since ratified it, it was on news last week or two that the experiment had been repeated with the same results, if it is true then it really will revolutionize physics, I think the reason some shied away from supporting it is because of the huge implications

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#24895 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
What all historians universally agree in is that it was a huge victory for britain, even thoe we didn't really care that much, and a massive humiliating defeat for America that ended in them being bankrupt and having to use British currency, total victory for britain and total defeat for America
Why do you continue to give barefoot the courtesy of a cogent answer? He'll never do anything but have another meltdown on every subject mentioned here.

He is not here to discuss anything. He is here to destroy an atheist thread. That is his only reason for being here. Feeding him fodder only puts a smile on his face and makes him worse.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#24896 Jul 11, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
And those stats become more interesting when you look at more detailed data. In Japan, the middle-aged commit suicide at higher rates, 44 per 100,000 as opposed to the weighted average of 29.9. But their rates of suicides among the young (15-24), both male and female are a below average, female at 4.8 with a weighted average of 4.4 and males with 10,1 and 19.3. The worldwide correlations for middle aged suicides seem to be largely economic, those for young males more with crime, and young females with unemployment and education.
All data (with or without tails) from Nationmaster.
Thanks, Nightserf. You know back when I was using scaritual I posted some data that explained more detail and for some reason I couldn't search out that post, so I gave a quick and dirty recap. No stats etc...

I'm glad you "backed" what I put out there.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#24897 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure if you Google recent physics news or something you'll find it, it is indeed an extraordinary claim and three of the original team didn't sign it off because they weren't convinced, but two of them have since ratified it, it was on news last week or two that the experiment had been repeated with the same results, if it is true then it really will revolutionize physics, I think the reason some shied away from supporting it is because of the huge implications
I couldn't find anything confirming that neutrinos travelled faster than light. A whole bunch on the original finding, but nothing confirming it.

I would think that would be pretty big news. Comparable to the Higgs confirmation.
JEB

Studio City, CA

#24898 Jul 11, 2012
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>

Blacks are grubby moochers.
You
are
Black?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#24899 Jul 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
However you seem to have the intelligence to use the WHO figures for Japan so I assume that the rules you apply to yourself don’t count for anyone else.
You stupid cow: do show use where there WHO figures assert the reason is because of religious beliefs?

Let's take from your source ****THE VERY FIRST*** speculative cause for the shorter lifespans
(quote)
Many of the countries with the lowest life expectancies, namely Swaziland, Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, the Central African Republic, Mozambique, and Guinea-Bissau, are suffering from very high rates of HIV/AIDS infection, with adult prevalence rates ranging from 10 to 38.8 percent.[3] In countries with high infant mortality rates, the life expectancy at birth will be lower, and may not reflect the life expectancy of a person who has survived his or her first year of life.
(CLIP)

GEE... AIDS... not religion.

Now, you silly cow: show us from **YOUR*** source where cause was tied to religion?

NO!!!!

I thought not.

Okay, cow: show us A SCIENTIFIC STUDY that asserts atheism is tied to a more positive longevity.

HugeKielbasa

Since: Jun 12

Poughquag, NY

#24900 Jul 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what? Are you completely stupid?– oh hang on, no need to ask.
Funnily enough you posting the figure for Japan strengthened my case.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Japa...
About 70% of Japanese profess no religious membership
84% of the Japanese claim no personal religion.
In census questionnaires, less than 15% reported any formal religious affiliation
Well done and thank you
East Asians just seem to be genetically setup to live longer.

East Asians go through puberty later & reach menopause later.

Which is supportive of an East Asian strategy of longer life span.

Location hidden

#24901 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang on a minute, it was YOU that first suggested that Christians live longer,
No, dummy: I "suggested" no such thing, and it was the stupid cow that SAID (brought it up, dummy) people lived longer because they did not have a religious belief.

I merely used facts and jammed that up your colon.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#24902 Jul 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupid cow: do show use where there WHO figures assert the reason is because of religious beliefs?
Let's take from your source ****THE VERY FIRST*** speculative cause for the shorter lifespans
(quote)
Many of the countries with the lowest life expectancies, namely Swaziland, Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, the Central African Republic, Mozambique, and Guinea-Bissau, are suffering from very high rates of HIV/AIDS infection, with adult prevalence rates ranging from 10 to 38.8 percent.[3] In countries with high infant mortality rates, the life expectancy at birth will be lower, and may not reflect the life expectancy of a person who has survived his or her first year of life.
(CLIP)
GEE... AIDS... not religion.
Now, you silly cow: show us from **YOUR*** source where cause was tied to religion?
NO!!!!
I thought not.
Okay, cow: show us A SCIENTIFIC STUDY that asserts atheism is tied to a more positive longevity.
Religion wouldn't be interfering with the distribution of condoms, would it?
straa

UK

#24903 Jul 11, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't find anything confirming that neutrinos travelled faster than light. A whole bunch on the original finding, but nothing confirming it.
I would think that would be pretty big news. Comparable to the Higgs confirmation.
I'll have a look myself, I would of thought it would be big news as it was only a week or two ago I heard it, it was on Russia today mind so ill check there website

HugeKielbasa

Poughquag, NY

#24904 Jul 11, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
The photos and data collected by scientists is not the same as "Ghost Hunters" on the cable teevee.
It isn't a photo taken by a Polaroid, looked at by a couple guys in the basement drinking a few beers, who then declare: "Yeah huh, that's Pluto alright... and look, you're in the picture too, Dale..."
Of course Scientists can't use a Polaroid for taking pictures across Space.

Ghost Hunters aren't that great.

Paranormal fact or fiction is the good show. They are skeptics & try to replicate paranormal videos.
They find out many are hoaxes or misindentified.
In some cases they do find supprotive evidence of the paranormal.

HugeKielbasa

Poughquag, NY

#24905 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists have made many claims proven to be untrue.

Scientists once thought you couldn't go faster than sound.

That was proven wrong when we broke the sound barrier.

It was pretty much accepted Scientific support of not being able to travel faster than sound.

That was proven wrong in a big way.

Location hidden

#24906 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not, but I am athiest like most people with any semblance of intellect
"Foolish men mistake transitory semblance for eternal fact"

HugeKielbasa

Poughquag, NY

#24907 Jul 11, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion wouldn't be interfering with the distribution of condoms, would it?
I am glad Polish Pope John Paul II helped to stop use of condoms in South Africa.

Which helped to spread Polish Hillary Koprowski's invention of AIDS in Africa.

Which stupid African chimps due to retardation believe virgins are pure from the bible.

So they rape babies & virgins & spread AIDS like dumb chimps.

Now Africans are being reduced signficiantly due to AIDS.

Good these apes deserve to be eliminated!
straa

UK

#24908 Jul 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, dummy: I "suggested" no such thing, and it was the stupid cow that SAID (brought it up, dummy) people lived longer because they did not have a religious belief.
I merely used facts and jammed that up your colon.
Western and northern Europeans are less religious than Americans and we live longer, but I think that is because we have a better quality of life and healtcare with lower crime and no guns or ghettos like usa

Location hidden

#24909 Jul 11, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the fool
"Your" taxing your 'intellect' again...

Since: Mar 11

Ft Mitchell, KY

#24910 Jul 11, 2012
Awesome! Funny how they shoot themselves in the foot like that! Bravo!!
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what? Are you completely stupid?– oh hang on, no need to ask.
Funnily enough you posting the figure for Japan strengthened my case.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Japa...
About 70% of Japanese profess no religious membership
84% of the Japanese claim no personal religion.
In census questionnaires, less than 15% reported any formal religious affiliation
Well done and thank you

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#24911 Jul 11, 2012
I've been commenting on bringmedinner's irrepsonsible hate speech, and how it facilitates anything from disesteem for skeptics, to violence.

There was a brilliant 1991 movie called The Fisher King that touched on the potential consequences of such provocative language heard from most often from shock jocks, hateful political pundits, and the religious like Falwell, Robertson, and Bringmedinner.

From IMDb: "A former radio DJ, suicidally despondent because of a terrible mistake he made, finds redemption in helping a deranged homeless man who was an unwitting victim of that mistake."

The DJ was a shock jock played by Jeff Bridges, who said something inflammatory on the air one day, and Robin Williams' character's wife is shot to death by a killer somehow motivated by the comment. The movie is about their lives after that.

I wonder: if Bringmedinner learned that I or anybody else had been murdered - or even had his car keyed - because of one of his posts, what he would feel. It might be nothing at all, or even schadenfreude.

Hopefully, he would feel considerable remorse, and modify his posting manner accordingly, and maybe feel some grief, even depression.

But who would be surprised if he just forgave himself after muttering at the ceiling fan, shrugged his shoulders, called it god's will, maybe smirked or gloated, and continued posting as before?

People who behave like that without the help of religion are called sociopaths.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 2 min Philosophic 141
News Trump soaks up the adulation, brags about victory 2 min American Independent 56
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dr Guru 230,980
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min Independent patriot 403,548
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Aquarius-WY 1,457,955
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Injudgement 252,972
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 8 min Frankie Rizzo 1,969
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 2 hr freedom2016 2,893
More from around the web