Would an assault weapons ban work?

Would an assault weapons ban work?

There are 3769 comments on the The Washington Post story from Dec 17, 2012, titled Would an assault weapons ban work?. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, he used a Bushmaster AR-15 , a popular style of semiautomatic rifle that can rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds, according to law enforcement officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#3750 Feb 9, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar and a bullshitter. He used the Bushmaster AR-15.
In fact, even RIGHT-wing sites know this is bullshit:
http://www.texasgopvote.com/issues/stop-big-g...
"I contacted the CT State Police for further clarification. Lt. Paul Vance told me the Bushmaster was, in fact, fired inside the school and used to kill all 26 people who died that day.
I asked Vance about the magazine capacity of the handguns that were found inside the school. He said he did not have that information, but confirmed that the shooter had numerous magazines with him inside the school.
It was very clear in speaking with him that they are frustrated with the rumors about this case and the manipulation of the tragedy for political purposes by both sides of the gun control debate."
The Bushmaster AR-15 is an assault weapon, fool. Now apologize for your error.

The AR-15 is not an assault weapon, it is an assault style weapon.

"First, we need to set the record straight on a few things. The current debate is over so-called “assault weapons” and high capacity magazines. The terms "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" are often confused. According to Bruce H. Kobayashi and Joseph E. Olson, writing in the Stanford Law and Policy Review,“Prior to 1989, the term ‘assault weapon’ did not exist in the lexicon of firearms. It is a political term developed by anti-gun publicists to expand the category of assault rifles.

The M4A1 carbine is a U.S. military service rifle - it is an assault rifle. The AR-15 is not an assault rifle. The “AR” in its name does not stand for “Assault Rifle”- it is the designation from the first two letters of the manufacturer’s name – ArmaLite Corporation. The AR-15 is designed so that it cosmetically looks like the M4A1 carbine assault rifle, but it is impossible to configure the AR-15 to be a fully automatic assault rifle. It is a single shot semi-automatic rifle that can fire between 45 and 60 rounds per minute depending on the skill of the operator. The M4A1 can fire up to 950 rounds per minute. In 1986, the federal government banned the import or manufacture of new fully automatic firearms for sale to civilians. Therefore, the sale of assault rifles are already banned or heavily restricted!

We are current or former Army Reserve, National Guard, and active duty US Army Special Forces soldiers (Green Berets)-
This letter has over 1100 signatures.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/sh...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3751 Feb 9, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
The AR-15 is not an assault weapon, it is an assault style weapon.
Assault weapon.

"Denver has had an assault weapons ban in place for 23 years, an ordinance that has twice withstood court challenges and remains one of the toughest local gun laws in the state.

The ordinance bans the sale and possession of assault weapons, specifically firearms with "semiautomatic action" or that use detachable magazines with a capacity of 21 or more rounds.

The ordinance was introduced in the wake of growing gang activity in Denver and after several high-profile mass killings around the nation by gunmen using semiautomatic weapons. Also, in 1989, a man with a submachine gun killed two people and wounded three in Littleton.

"Assault weapons don't have any place in an urban environment," said City Councilwoman Cathy Reynolds, who sponsored the bill at the time. "They don't have any purpose but to blow people away, quickly and in large numbers."

Weapons banned include folding-stock and short-barrel semiautomatic rifles with magazines holding 21 or more rounds and semiautomatic shotguns capable of firing six rounds or more without reloading. The law also covers semiautomatic pistols that are modified rifles with firing capacity of 21 rounds or more, and semiautomatic pistols modified from rifles that have folding stocks or shortened barrels."
Avanzado

Kansas City, MO

#3752 Feb 9, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
"I contacted the CT State Police for further clarification. Lt. Paul Vance told me the Bushmaster was, in fact, fired inside the school and used to kill all 26 people who died that day.
I asked Vance about the magazine capacity of the handguns that were found inside the school. He said he did not have that information, but confirmed that the shooter had numerous magazines with him inside the school.
It was very clear in speaking with him that they are frustrated with the rumors about this case and the manipulation of the tragedy for political purposes by both sides of the gun control debate."
Not one thing mentioned about Breiviks, the guy in Norway that gunned down 77 young people in 2011.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#3753 Feb 9, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault weapon.
"Denver has had an assault weapons ban in place for 23 years, an ordinance that has twice withstood court challenges and remains one of the toughest local gun laws in the state.
The ordinance bans the sale and possession of assault weapons, specifically firearms with "semiautomatic action" or that use detachable magazines with a capacity of 21 or more rounds.
The ordinance was introduced in the wake of growing gang activity in Denver and after several high-profile mass killings around the nation by gunmen using semiautomatic weapons. Also, in 1989, a man with a submachine gun killed two people and wounded three in Littleton.
"Assault weapons don't have any place in an urban environment," said City Councilwoman Cathy Reynolds, who sponsored the bill at the time. "They don't have any purpose but to blow people away, quickly and in large numbers."
Weapons banned include folding-stock and short-barrel semiautomatic rifles with magazines holding 21 or more rounds and semiautomatic shotguns capable of firing six rounds or more without reloading. The law also covers semiautomatic pistols that are modified rifles with firing capacity of 21 rounds or more, and semiautomatic pistols modified from rifles that have folding stocks or shortened barrels."
So if you have a 25 round magazine on a Ruger 10/22 rim fire semi auto rifle it suddenly becomes an assault weapon? If you switch to the factory ten round magazine apparently it is no longer considered an assault weapon.
Remember you can call a submarine an airplane , but "it won't fly Orville."

Location hidden

#3754 Feb 9, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you have a 25 round magazine
Wipe you chin, donglicker.

It seems Colorado knows exactly what an assault weapon is.
DaveTV

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#3756 Feb 10, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he could use a baseball bat, a pair of scissors, a sword - yes.
But Lanza's mother made it heckuva lot easier for her son to mow down 20 children and adults after firing 50 to 100 rounds in what was it - less than 10 minutes?
His "means" was effective, quick, efficient and deadly.
And that is the point, dear friend.
As would any other method for quick kills, what if he had set off a few bombs he had built real quick? How about my car scenario that no brain dead libs want to answer? Yeah didn't think so. He could have just as easily purchased what he had illegally off the street if it wouldn't have been at home.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#3758 Feb 10, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE it, le Nutjob. I'm saying that you have to jump through hoops to own an automatic weapon in this country. PROVE ME WRONG.
I suggest you look at all the drug lords that Obama and Holder sold automatic weapons to. Did they have all the necessary paperwork. Does the officer in LA that killed three that has a .50 caliber sniper rifle thats even illegal for the LA copst to own.....does he have all the necessary paper work. Do the gangbangers in Chicago have the necessary paperwork for automatic weapons.........no. Now go back to your tree house and contemplate your stupidity.

Paris

#3759 Feb 10, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Not according to CT law, which is where the crime occured. You sure do like playing the fool.

Location hidden

#3760 Feb 10, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest you look at all the drug lords that Obama and Holder sold automatic weapons to.
Prove they sold one.

Dumbo.

Location hidden

#3761 Feb 10, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Not according to CT law,
Prove they sold one.

Dumbo.

Location hidden

#3762 Feb 10, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Not according to CT law, which is where the crime occured.
Of course, you insisted the AR-15 wasn't even used.

Still waiting, Au Dumbo, for proof that Obama was selling weapons.

I understand if you shift aliases... it being lunchtime...

Paris

#3763 Feb 10, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, you insisted the AR-15 wasn't even used.
Still waiting, Au Dumbo, for proof that Obama was selling weapons.
I understand if you shift aliases... it being lunchtime...
I understand you've been proved a liar. There were no .223 wounds on the children. An AR-15 wasn't even used.

Location hidden

#3764 Feb 10, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
There were no .223 wounds on the children. An AR-15 wasn't even used.
Thanks for continued posting your lies, Dumbo.

State Police: All 26 Newtown victims shot with assault rifle
Neil Vigdor
Updated 9:28 pm, Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lt. J. Paul Vance, the face of an ongoing Connecticut State Police investigation into worst grade-school shooting in U.S. history, Thursday debunked media and Internet reports that Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza killed his victims with handguns and not the Bushmaster XM-15 E2S rifle that is now the focus of a proposed federal assault-weapons ban.

All 26 of Lanza's victims were shot with the .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle, said Vance, who bristled at claims to the contrary during an interview with Hearst Connecticut Newspapers.

"It's all these conspiracy theorists that are trying to mucky up the waters," said Vance, the longtime state police spokesman.

Multiple Second Amendment and gun owner websites have attempted to cast doubts on whether the Bushmaster XM-15, a type of AR-15 rifle that is currently legal, was used in the Dec. 14 carnage done by Lanza.

Some have cited a Dec. 15 "Today" show video clip from the day after the shooting, in which NBC News Justice Department correspondent Pete Williams said that four handguns were recovered inside Sandy Hook Elementary School and that the Bushmaster rifle was found in the trunk of a car owned by Lanza's slain mother, Nancy Lanza.

"There's no doubt that the rifle was used solely to kill 26 people in that school," Vance said.

Twenty children ages 7 and under and six female educators were killed when Lanza forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and sprayed the occupants with bullets before turning a gun on himself.

Vance said he made it abundantly clear during his media briefings since the tragedy that Lanza carried out the shooting with the Bushmaster.

"I personally articulated that probably a dozen times in Newtown," Vance said.

The only time Lanza used a handgun at the school was to commit suicide, according to Vance.
(clip)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3765 Feb 10, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>I understand you've been proved a liar. There were no .223 wounds on the children. An AR-15 wasn't even used.
Exactly.

Coroner Confirms: No Assault Weapon Used in Sandy Hook Shooting

http://conservativebyte.com/2013/01/coroner-c...

Assault Rifle not used in Sandy Hook Shooting

http://americanlivewire.com/assault-rifle-not...

Location hidden

#3766 Feb 10, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Exactly.
State Police: All 26 Newtown victims shot with assault rifle
Neil Vigdor
Updated 9:28 pm, Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lt. J. Paul Vance, the face of an ongoing Connecticut State Police investigation into worst grade-school shooting in U.S. history, Thursday debunked media and Internet reports that Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza killed his victims with handguns and not the Bushmaster XM-15 E2S rifle that is now the focus of a proposed federal assault-weapons ban.

All 26 of Lanza's victims were shot with the .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle, said Vance, who bristled at claims to the contrary during an interview with Hearst Connecticut Newspapers.

"It's all these conspiracy theorists that are trying to mucky up the waters," said Vance, the longtime state police spokesman.

Multiple Second Amendment and gun owner websites have attempted to cast doubts on whether the Bushmaster XM-15, a type of AR-15 rifle that is currently legal, was used in the Dec. 14 carnage done by Lanza.

Some have cited a Dec. 15 "Today" show video clip from the day after the shooting, in which NBC News Justice Department correspondent Pete Williams said that four handguns were recovered inside Sandy Hook Elementary School and that the Bushmaster rifle was found in the trunk of a car owned by Lanza's slain mother, Nancy Lanza.

"There's no doubt that the rifle was used solely to kill 26 people in that school," Vance said.

Twenty children ages 7 and under and six female educators were killed when Lanza forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and sprayed the occupants with bullets before turning a gun on himself.

Vance said he made it abundantly clear during his media briefings since the tragedy that Lanza carried out the shooting with the Bushmaster.

"I personally articulated that probably a dozen times in Newtown," Vance said.

The only time Lanza used a handgun at the school was to commit suicide, according to Vance.
(clip)

Location hidden

#3767 Feb 10, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Coroner Confirms: No Assault Weapon Used in Sandy Hook Shooting
Show us the link to the coroner's report, NAZI.

Funny how you can link to nutjob blogs but not to the coroner.

HAAHAHHAHAAH

PS:
NEWTOWN, Conn.--Dr. H. Wayne Carver, the medical examiner investigating Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, said autopsies completed on 20 children and six adults on Saturday showed they were killed with multiple bullets fired by a rifle at close range.

Location hidden

#3768 Feb 10, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Assault Rifle not used in Sandy Hook Shooting
NEWTOWN, Conn.--Dr. H. Wayne Carver, the medical examiner investigating Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, said autopsies completed on 20 children and six adults on Saturday showed they were killed with multiple bullets fired by a rifle at close range.

Location hidden

#3769 Feb 10, 2013
cjrian wrote:
<quoted text>
No assault weapons were used there.
Lanza used semi-auto pistols, and had an AR in his car trunk, but didn't have any assault weapons
Brad

Manchester, CT

#3770 Feb 10, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
All we can be sure of is somebody's lying.
Both ABC and NBC have reported only handguns were used in the shootings,and,as far as I know,neither have retracted that statement.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3771 Feb 10, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
All we can be sure of is somebody's lying.
Both ABC and NBC have reported only handguns were used in the shootings,and,as far as I know,neither have retracted that statement.
Exactly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump, Clinton aides clash at post-election gat... 3 min Christsharian Col... 58
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 4 min Trump your President 104
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min sonicfilter 1,457,598
News 5 lessons activists can learn from Florida's su... 6 min Democrat Hero 3
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 6 min Reality Speaks 403,305
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 7 min Reality Speaks 1,866
News Presidential endorsements: now therea s a touch... 7 min Evil Roy Slade 3
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Skylar 252,833
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 24 min Trump your President 2,822
More from around the web