School massacre prompts calls for gun...

School massacre prompts calls for gun control

There are 35 comments on the www.nydailynews.com story from Dec 15, 2012, titled School massacre prompts calls for gun control . In it, www.nydailynews.com reports that:

“I think that day will come, but today’s not that day," said White House spokesman Jay Carney, touching off an incredulous response from some gun control advocates.

The unfolding massacre at a Connecticut elementary school touched off an immediate public debate over the country’s gun control laws, even as the White House said it was not yet the time to discuss politics. As reports of rising fatalities flooded into a daily press briefing, Obama spokesman Jay Carney told reporters that it was not the day to discuss U.S. gun laws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nydailynews.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gravediggers

United States

#1 Dec 15, 2012
Slanted and Biased, per usual.
obamaisabigfake

Carmel, IN

#2 Dec 15, 2012
The move to ban guns is beginning. Anyone who believes the scumbag prez had real tears should accept the fact they are gullible and stupid.
da3 muskeetears

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#3 Dec 15, 2012
Dr. Bill_phd! U wanna bee hearing onda 2nd!!;)
controls

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Dec 15, 2012
The guns were legally purchased and legally registered in the state with the 4th strongest gun laws in the nation. He took the guns from a parents home after shooting the mother. So, what's the answer ? the man that killed 87 kids in Norway, a country with also some of the most stringest gun laws in the world, legally purchased his weapon before the shooting.

So politicians call to get rid of all guns while the govt sells military grade weapons to drug cartels in mexico will fall on deaf ears. If nothing else the citizenry needs the 2nd ammendment to legally protect themselves from its own govt that breaks gun laws wholesale.
da3 muskeetears

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#5 Dec 15, 2012
Dr. Bill_Phd! which one do U pickle? 1. da3 muskeetears or 2. the three Amigo movie!!

hop u enjoy!!;-000000
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6 Dec 15, 2012
Home schooling would solve a lot of problems and create very few. With computers and technology, who needs the old outdated school teacher scenario. It's ridiculous. Our public school system is outdated and lacking. 25th in math and science just doesn't cut it. And it's getting worse. Soon our children will feel like they are in prison rather than learning something. And the propaganda that the public union teachers spew at our children day in and day out is absolutely sinful. Maybe all these horrible incidents are trying to tell us something. Rather than cry about it, maybe Obama should do something about it. Stop the public unions from teaching our kids public union stuff. We may be raising a nation of criminals. With the one stop, everybody's the same "or else", public schooling thug attitude, it's completely possible that we are. If we allow kids to feel like they are in prison, then maybe they think that's where they belong. We better think deeply about this and not just look for a scapegoat though I think guns are very dangerous. But so are chain saws and electricity and poison gas and icepicks. We need to sew up the torn moral fabric of our nation somehow. Class warfare is not helping, BTW. The lying, non-moral, "the only thing that matters is winning", attitude in DC does not help our young people go the straight and narrow either. How many more of these incidents must we endure before we wise up?
the three Amigos

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#7 Dec 15, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
Home schooling would solve a lot of problems and create very few. With computers and technology, who needs the old outdated school teacher scenario. It's ridiculous. Our public school system is outdated and lacking. 25th in math and science just doesn't cut it. And it's getting worse. Soon our children will feel like they are in prison rather than learning something. And the propaganda that the public union teachers spew at our children day in and day out is absolutely sinful. Maybe all these horrible incidents are trying to tell us something. Rather than cry about it, maybe Obama should do something about it. Stop the public unions from teaching our kids public union stuff. We may be raising a nation of criminals. With the one stop, everybody's the same "or else", public schooling thug attitude, it's completely possible that we are. If we allow kids to feel like they are in prison, then maybe they think that's where they belong. We better think deeply about this and not just look for a scapegoat though I think guns are very dangerous. But so are chain saws and electricity and poison gas and icepicks. We need to sew up the torn moral fabric of our nation somehow. Class warfare is not helping, BTW. The lying, non-moral, "the only thing that matters is winning", attitude in DC does not help our young people go the straight and narrow either. How many more of these incidents must we endure before we wise up?
9boy!!! must hearing 2B leave it by BBC+CNN..please listening carefoolee!!!!!!
GunOwner

Concord, MA

#8 Dec 15, 2012
If this nut didn't have access to a gun he in all likelihood would have still killed his mother and gone to that school and committed mass murder by some other means, you hear about bombings in the middle east that kill innocent people all the time. Gun control will not work there are far too many guns out there in society and most of them are owned by law abiding citizens. I can't see the logic in the thinking that taking away my firearms are going to make the world a safer place.
the three Amigos

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#9 Dec 15, 2012
GunOwner wrote:
If this nut didn't have access to a gun he in all likelihood would have still killed his mother and gone to that school and committed mass murder by some other means, you hear about bombings in the middle east that kill innocent people all the time. Gun control will not work there are far too many guns out there in society and most of them are owned by law abiding citizens. I can't see the logic in the thinking that taking away my firearms are going to make the world a safer place.
U mean the 2nd Amendament!! listening and learning!
Gravediggers

United States

#10 Dec 15, 2012
Let not the discussion be bridge from mental health issues to gun issues.

Shall we register ALL mentally ill people?
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#11 Dec 15, 2012
We had some gun controls, but in the last 20 years, Republicans thought they were too strict and had to be removed.

Were the old gun laws really so oppressive to gun owners?

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#12 Dec 15, 2012
Makes sense wrote:
We had some gun controls, but in the last 20 years, Republicans thought they were too strict and had to be removed.
Were the old gun laws really so oppressive to gun owners?
yeah, dumbfck, look how well strict gun control laws work in chicago!
a MARVEL of liberal legislation!

www.chicagomag.com/Chicago.../Chicago-Crime-S... ...

May 29, 2012 – Chicago Crime: Shootings Slightly Up, Murders Way Up. What Gives?... 14 percent over the last year through Sunday: 851 compared to 747 in 2011,... Gun homicides increased by more than 70 log points between 2000 and ...

www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../murders-in-ch...

Oct 4, 2012 – Murders in Chicago: What can stop the bloodbath?... Driven by gangs, drugs and guns, the bloodshed in President Obama's adopted ...

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#13 Dec 15, 2012
it may have a lot more to do with what the "good" 1%ers in hollywood dish up as entertainment,
glamorized violence and killing.

the youth in america today has shown it's almost totally incapable of original thought...could it be the liberal progressives that run the entertainment business are putting these ideas into the "heads of mush" out there?

probably!

ban hollywood!
obamaisafake

Carmel, IN

#14 Dec 15, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
...completely possible that we are. If we allow kids to feel like they are in prison, then maybe they think that's where they belong. We better think deeply about this and not just look for a scapegoat though I think guns are very dangerous. But so are chain saws and electricity and poison gas and icepicks. We need to sew up the torn moral fabric of our nation somehow. Class warfare is not helping, BTW. The lying, non-moral, "the only thing that matters is winning", attitude in DC does not help our young people go the straight and narrow either. How many more of these incidents must we endure before we wise up?
There are a number of factors that are causing problems like this. I suspect in this case, we have a kid with mental health issues that began when he was a child. He was placed in a school with personnel who weren't equipped to identify and treat kids with mental problems. Hell, most can't even teach normal kids. So these kids are mainstreamed as that is the law but this may not necessarily be in the best interest of the mentally ill or his peers. We don't know if an untrained teacher harmed him in such a way that would cause him to return to that time in his life. He may have been ostracized by the normal group of kids which caused him more emotional damage. We don't know what went on his his family either. HIs own brother hadn't been in contact with him for two years? How long was his father not present in his life? Was his mother left alone to deal with a mentally ill child by herself? Why did this mom have so many guns?

Our culture is decaying and for many reasons. Do parents prioritize their children by having one stay home to raise them and give them their full attention? No, because in the vast majority of cases-it's all about material acquisitions in the two parent household. Divorce was once taboo in society because of the social consequences it would cause. Parenting requires a father and mother or you will see these kids clinging to a surrogate which is usually not a good influence. Exposing kids to violence, sex, instability and disrespectful actions at times when they are not emotionally mature enough to grasp... leads to emotionally devastating results. Take these kids and throw them with kids who have been raised well with untrained teachers in crowded conditions and you will eventually evolve into a decadent society. There are so many problems and no resources, knowledge and the means to fix them. Pandora's box has been opened and there is no way to put things back together. I do think public education must be dismantled and returned to their communities. The federal government needs to get out of the way. Parents must come to the table and contribute financially and emotionally. By making them pay for the bus and contribute to their children's education. They must be required to volunteer in some capacity. Parents should be able to choose the schools they want their kids to attend, even if it may be private. Forcing competition will help improve quality. End mainstreaming. This has been a failed experiment and one that causes more damage than good.

Unions do perpetuate laziness and less quality. I've seen this first hand over the past twenty five years. Homeschooling has been very effective for some kids but it isn't the answer for all.

Kids could be so much more advanced if free Internet classes were offered and it's cheap. Step by step, self taught. This would enable parents, siblings, grandparents and kids to learn together. This would allow kids the ability to develop self confidence and self worth. Kids could also get through school at a faster pace. Neighborhood study groups could be formed creating a sense of community between the families.

btw: I'm not saying all divorced families are going to have mentally ill kids. I'm just saying it increases the risk of a kid having a behavioral problem.
obamaisafake

Carmel, IN

#15 Dec 15, 2012
There are a number of factors that are causing problems like this. I suspect in this case, we have a kid with mental health issues that began when he was a child. He was placed in a school with personnel who weren't equipped to identify and treat kids with mental problems. Hell, most can't even teach normal kids. So these kids are mainstreamed as that is the law but this may not necessarily be in the best interest of the mentally ill or his peers. We don't know if an untrained teacher harmed him in such a way that would cause him to return to that time in his life. He may have been ostracized by the normal group of kids which caused him more emotional damage. We don't know what went on his his family either. HIs own brother hadn't been in contact with him for two years? How long was his father not present in his life? Was his mother left alone to deal with a mentally ill child by herself? Why did this mom have so many guns?

Our culture is decaying and for many reasons. Do parents prioritize their children by having one stay home to raise them and give them their full attention? No, because in the vast majority of cases-it's all about material acquisitions in the two parent household. Divorce was once taboo in society because of the social consequences it would cause. Parenting requires a father and mother or you will see these kids clinging to a surrogate which is usually not a good influence. Exposing kids to violence, sex, instability and disrespectful actions at times when they are not emotionally mature enough to grasp... leads to emotionally devastating results. Take these kids and throw them with kids who have been raised well with untrained teachers in crowded conditions and you will eventually evolve into a decadent society. There are so many problems and no resources, knowledge and the means to fix them. Pandora's box has been opened and there is no way to put things back together. I do think public education must be dismantled and returned to their communities. The federal government needs to get out of the way. Parents must come to the table and contribute financially and emotionally. By making them pay for the bus and contribute to their children's education. They must be required to volunteer in some capacity. Parents should be able to choose the schools they want their kids to attend, even if it may be private. Forcing competition will help improve quality. End mainstreaming. This has been a failed experiment and one that causes more damage than good.

Unions do perpetuate laziness and less quality. I've seen this first hand over the past twenty five years. Homeschooling has been very effective for some kids but it isn't the answer for all.

Kids could be so much more advanced if free Internet classes were offered and it's cheap. Step by step, self taught. This would enable parents, siblings, grandparents and kids to learn together. This would allow kids the ability to develop self confidence and self worth. Kids could also get through school at a faster pace. Neighborhood study groups could be formed creating a sense of community between the families.

btw: I'm not saying all divorced families are going to have mentally ill kids. I'm just saying it increases the risk of a kid having a behavioral problem.
obamaisafake

Carmel, IN

#16 Dec 15, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
..., "the only thing that matters is winning", attitude in DC does not help our young people go the straight and narrow either. How many more of these incidents must we endure before we wise up?

obamaisafake

Carmel, IN

#17 Dec 15, 2012
GunOwner wrote:
You must understand that those who want to grow a more powerful and centralized government do not want its citizens to own guns. They do not want the people they control to be able to arm themselves against them. These powerful elites can use the media to brainwash the gullible and before long, the gullibles will outnumber those who want to be free.It has begun.
obamaisafake

Carmel, IN

#18 Dec 15, 2012
carey529 wrote:
it may have a lot more to do with what the "good" 1%ers in hollywood dish up as entertainment,
glamorized violence and killing.
the youth in america today has shown it's almost totally incapable of original thought...could it be the liberal progressives that run the entertainment business are putting these ideas into the "heads of mush" out there?
probably!
ban hollywood!
Violence, hatred, bigotry, envy, anger, disrespect are crippling to a society. Getting parents away from their children is the first step. The media began by promoting divorce in the soap operas, trying to get women addicted to TV and spending less time with their children. The disconnect begins. Getting children hooked to cartoons which of course had violence incorporated. Eventually, social engineering began gradually via the TV and print media. The reasons behind this involves a great deal of money and power. It has grown since the 40's into a kind of super royalty. These figures are worshipped and glorified.

If it weren't for the liberalism behind Hollywood, I would think this kind of social engineering could be coincidental. But it isn't. We've witnessed the evolution and the end product.

Today, there are a number of addictions that plague our society and some of them are: alcohol, drugs, sex, computer, porn, violence, and an overall detachment from each other. Texting, blogging, Skyping, Facebook, Myspace, video games all contribute to the disconnect. Kids are not developing relationships like they did in the past. They are growing into adulthood with less experience interacting with each other in person. This is dehumanizing and it will make it easier for society to accept obama's death panels in the future. The younger generation won't have a connection to Grandma and Grandpa and soon it will be their parents. Human life has less value if you spend most of your time interacting mechanically. Why do you think so many of these shooters and mass killers are examples of people who have a disconnect from humanity in some form?

It's much easier to control a population who doesn't have the connection to their families..compared to a population who has a deep bond with their parents and even a strong faith. Familial bonds, love, honesty, integrity, positive interpersonal relationships, faith and duty are ingredients in the glue that keeps society orderly.
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#19 Dec 15, 2012
obamaisafake wrote:
<quoted text>There are a number of factors that are causing problems like this. I suspect in this case, we have a kid with mental health issues that began when he was a child. He was placed in a school with personnel who weren't equipped to identify and treat kids with mental problems. Hell, most can't even teach normal kids. So these kids are mainstreamed as that is the law but this may not necessarily be in the best interest of the mentally ill or his peers. We don't know if an untrained teacher harmed him in such a way that would cause him to return to that time in his life. He may have been ostracized by the normal group of kids which caused him more emotional damage. We don't know what went on his his family either. HIs own brother hadn't been in contact with him for two years? How long was his father not present in his life? Was his mother left alone to deal with a mentally ill child by herself? Why did this mom have so many guns?
Nice post. It's a lot better than "It's Bush's fault" the mantra of the democrats.
thinkaboutit

Menard, TX

#20 Dec 15, 2012
GunOwner wrote:
Reference: a similiar situation in another culture ...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57559179/...
(how many fatalities?)

please consider:
1. Firearms are more effective weapons that clubs or knives, they can do more damage in less time ...
2. The individual contemplating violence, whatever weapon is to be used, should be the real target to identify and stop. To do so it will likely be necessary to monitior the aquisition of firearms and accessories such as high capacity magazines/ammunition, in general weapons designed to be used against people, and etc.
3. The Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that weapon for traditionally lawful purposes (District of Columbia v. Heller). It follows that an individual's right to a firearm can be suspended, with due process of law, if it can be shown that the firearm is indended for unlawful purposes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News El Paso democrats hold debate watch party 4 min butters_ 18
News Donald Trump's birther nonsense 10 min WarForOil 24
News Hillary Clinton's top five vice presidential picks 15 min NoTrumptardationN... 16
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 20 min replaytime 210,133
News Clinton: Tulsa shooting 'unbearable,' should be... 34 min Joe Balls 63
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 36 min Cornelius Scudmister 244,133
News Mary J. Blige explains why she sang to Clinton ... 38 min Joe Balls 6
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr RoxLo 1,433,986
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr WelbyMD 225,544
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr valerie 396,065
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 5 hr Lawrence Wolf 10,627
More from around the web