No more mail at your door? Delivery c...

No more mail at your door? Delivery changes eyed

There are 30 comments on the The Island Packet story from Jul 24, 2013, titled No more mail at your door? Delivery changes eyed. In it, The Island Packet reports that:

This Dec. 5, 2011 file photo shows letter carrier Diosdado Gabnat moving boxes of mail into his truck to begin delivery at a post office in Seattle.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Island Packet.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
amcummer

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 24, 2013
Yeah sure that would work and saves money "NOT". Fact is if and when they save they spend as much or more, they will demand higher wages better benefits better pensions and it won't stop there. Oh and they will hire more high paid managers.
Makes sense

Evansville, IN

#3 Jul 25, 2013
LOL When they privatize the mail, the poor nimwitted Teabaggers, who live in trailers down by the river in Satan's country and tow the interests of the billionaire Koch brothers, will pay the highest price for mail service. It's happened in EVERY industry and every form of American government. People, WAKE UP, the Robber Barons are coming back and if you aren't a billionaire, you'll soon be a serf preoccupied with the masses about the name of the new prince!!! Isn't it ironic that one day America will face another King George???? It would serve the Teabaggers right, since they know nothing about the Boston Tea Party or history in general.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jul 25, 2013
Time to get rid of the USPS and just let private companies take over.
Makes sense

Evansville, IN

#5 Jul 25, 2013
Eighthman wrote:
Anything subsidized by the Gubmint is doomed to be a bloated disgusting pig. Look at the Union Controlled Schools. Is there a bigger more disgusting bloated pig than union controlled schools? 25th in math and science?
The Post office is no different.
Give people an inch and they take a yard.
Human nature is human nature. But unless you understand that, you shouldn't be in Gubmint.
LOL When it comes to BIG OIL and all the other multinational corporations, I TOTALLY AGREE with you!!!!! The USPS however is NOT bloated. The GOP is just trying to "drown it in the bathtub" by forcing it to pay for pensions for employees that are not even born yet!!!!! The price of stamps cover the costs of the government services provided. Learn the FACTS for once before you post more Ayn Rand brain farts.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#6 Jul 25, 2013
Your use of the word "Teabaggers" has nothing to do with the "Tea Party" It stands "Taxed Enough Already" Just letting you know.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
Makes sense wrote:
LOL When they privatize the mail, the poor nimwitted Teabaggers, who live in trailers down by the river in Satan's country and tow the interests of the billionaire Koch brothers, will pay the highest price for mail service. It's happened in EVERY industry and every form of American government. People, WAKE UP, the Robber Barons are coming back and if you aren't a billionaire, you'll soon be a serf preoccupied with the masses about the name of the new prince!!! Isn't it ironic that one day America will face another King George???? It would serve the Teabaggers right, since they know nothing about the Boston Tea Party or history in general.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Jul 25, 2013
Makes sense wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL When it comes to BIG OIL and all the other multinational corporations, I TOTALLY AGREE with you!!!!! The USPS however is NOT bloated. The GOP is just trying to "drown it in the bathtub" by forcing it to pay for pensions for employees that are not even born yet!!!!! The price of stamps cover the costs of the government services provided. Learn the FACTS for once before you post more Ayn Rand brain farts.
Wrong. The USPS is being required to fully fund retirement healthcare costs contractually promised for CURRENT employees- about $46 BILLION which they have PROMISED in benefits to CURRENT employees, but haven't set aside a SINGLE PENNY to pay that future obligation.

Granted, most public and many private companies work the same way- they are on a "pay as you go" system, but 25% of all private companies prefund their promised retirement costs. As we've seen in Detroit and other municipalities, counting on future revenue to pay future benefits can easily lead to bankruptcy.

Detroit's bankruptcy is a perfect example of what happens when you DON'T fully fund pensions. Public employee unions drove Detroit into bankruptcy just as the UAW drove GM & Chrysler into bankruptcy. Employers promised more in benefits than they could pay when the economy or their business suffered financial difficulties.

Eventually the house of cards collapses.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#8 Jul 25, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The USPS is being required to fully fund retirement healthcare costs contractually promised for CURRENT employees- about $46 BILLION which they have PROMISED in benefits to CURRENT employees, but haven't set aside a SINGLE PENNY to pay that future obligation.
Granted, most public and many private companies work the same way- they are on a "pay as you go" system, but 25% of all private companies prefund their promised retirement costs. As we've seen in Detroit and other municipalities, counting on future revenue to pay future benefits can easily lead to bankruptcy.
Detroit's bankruptcy is a perfect example of what happens when you DON'T fully fund pensions. Public employee unions drove Detroit into bankruptcy just as the UAW drove GM & Chrysler into bankruptcy. Employers promised more in benefits than they could pay when the economy or their business suffered financial difficulties.
Eventually the house of cards collapses.
The same thing can be said about our federal government, that by providing benefits which have not been paid for be it healthcare or retirement we are just guaranteeing a train wreck or as you say a falling house of cards.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Jul 25, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
The same thing can be said about our federal government, that by providing benefits which have not been paid for be it healthcare or retirement we are just guaranteeing a train wreck or as you say a falling house of cards.
Wow, you finally got one right. But I'm sure you'll find a way to blame it on the blacks......
Your Ex

United States

#10 Jul 25, 2013
Fck Darrell Issa
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 25, 2013
We don't need restrictions on delivery, we need an end to the ridiculous, Republican-imposed pension arrangements which force the USPS to pay pensions up-front at great cost to their budget. This arrangement is used by NO other branch of government or the private sector that I know of, and is responsible for most of their fiscal problems.

The only plausible explanation of it was that the GOP ws determined to drive the USPS out of business, which would be typical of them.
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 25, 2013
TerryE wrote:
Your use of the word "Teabaggers" has nothing to do with the "Tea Party" It stands "Taxed Enough Already" Just letting you know.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>
Actually, it does..

http://wtfiswrong.com/wp-content/uploads/2010...

http://wtfiswrong.com/wp-content/uploads/2010...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nIWjAfzYJoQ/UOy9hQ0...

But then you're clearly in denial if you think our President was "elected by dead people..." :)
sheepleloveroyal ty

Pottstown, PA

#13 Jul 25, 2013
Something's up because I'm seeing union commercials saying how the post office is funded by stamps and postage and NOT taxes. Is this a round about way of asking for tax payer support since it would be the first time?
Jack Mehoff

Doylestown, PA

#14 Jul 25, 2013
What's the similarity between Kinney shoes and the post office? They both have thousands of black loafers!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Jul 25, 2013
chisholm wrote:
We don't need restrictions on delivery, we need an end to the ridiculous, Republican-imposed pension arrangements which force the USPS to pay pensions up-front at great cost to their budget. This arrangement is used by NO other branch of government or the private sector that I know of, and is responsible for most of their fiscal problems.
The only plausible explanation of it was that the GOP ws determined to drive the USPS out of business, which would be typical of them.
Wrong, it is used by 25% of all corporations, and should be used by ALL public & private employers.

Requiring them to set aside money to pay for the benefits they are promising isn't the problem; the problem is companies & govt agencies who promise benefits they obviously have no intention of paying for.

Just look at Detroit's bankruptcy & that of GM & Chrysler. When the bills came due for those benefits they promised years ago, suddenly they can't pay.

Bottom line, if you're going to promise future benefits in exchange for lower wages today, then you should be required to set aside the money NOW to be able to pay those benefits in the future.

This is a common scam that is finally getting some much needed publicity.
amcummer

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jul 25, 2013
Same price less service = inflation, increase wages and benefits. Increased price less service = more inflation, increase wages and benefits to adjust for inflation. That's how the economy always works.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Jul 25, 2013
chisholm wrote:
We don't need restrictions on delivery, we need an end to the ridiculous, Republican-imposed pension arrangements which force the USPS to pay pensions up-front at great cost to their budget. This arrangement is used by NO other branch of government or the private sector that I know of, and is responsible for most of their fiscal problems.
The only plausible explanation of it was that the GOP ws determined to drive the USPS out of business, which would be typical of them.
To reiterate-

So you would have no problem with a company paying you $1/hr in exchange for a "promise" they will pay you $100 million after you retire? Even if you know they haven't put a single penny away to pay your future millions and have no way of generating enough revenue to raise those millions when the time comes?

You'd really trust such a company with your financial future?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 Jul 25, 2013
Time to cut our losses and privatize all mail delivery.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#19 Jul 25, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you finally got one right. But I'm sure you'll find a way to blame it on the blacks......
No blame goes where blame goes and that one is on all of us, but mostly white people. But speaking of blacks where I live there was a guy who is a little off, talks to himself all the time, people in the neighborhood know him. He went to the Chevron station down the street and some black kids were hanging out in front of the store, they heard him mumbling to himself and one of them said what did you say, next thing you know they beat him, kicked him and threw him out in the street to be run over by a car. It was reported as a pedestrian hit and run in the paper.

Then when they figured out it was murder and the hit and run driver was not guilty of anything it was reported as "4 arrested in hit and run death".

What would they call a crime like that in Sanford Florida.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Jul 25, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
No blame goes where blame goes and that one is on all of us, but mostly white people. But speaking of blacks where I live there was a guy who is a little off, talks to himself all the time, people in the neighborhood know him. He went to the Chevron station down the street and some black kids were hanging out in front of the store, they heard him mumbling to himself and one of them said what did you say, next thing you know they beat him, kicked him and threw him out in the street to be run over by a car. It was reported as a pedestrian hit and run in the paper.
Then when they figured out it was murder and the hit and run driver was not guilty of anything it was reported as "4 arrested in hit and run death".
What would they call a crime like that in Sanford Florida.
I would hope they call it a murder, but considering it's the confederacy, they probably view the death of any black person as a plus.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#22 Jul 25, 2013
It is concerning top hear stories like this. The Detroit debt concern and now this. There is nothing one can but be frugal. Be wiser, I'd say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Monica Scaramucci 24,539
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Abe 285,562
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min southerngirl 1,579,089
News Donald Trump vows to answer North Korea nuclear... 3 min ImPeach 258
News Police: Suspect who drove over protesters at Vi... 4 min spocko 100
News Reactions to Trump's statement on violence in V... 7 min Poor Trumpflakes 229
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min Freedomofexpression 316,225
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 1 hr Tikee 1,146
More from around the web