Hispanics fear profiling under new Ar...

Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law

There are 193173 comments on the www.sunnewspapers.net story from Apr 24, 2010, titled Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law. In it, www.sunnewspapers.net reports that:

Arodi Berrelleza isn't one of the targets of Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigration a ' he's a U.S. citizen, a high school student from Phoenix.

[A.P.] Phoenix April 24th 2010 sun news paper.net A legal 18 year old is in fear when he's with his friends.. Reported in the article His fear is racial profiling. Advocates plan on fighting the alleged anti civil rights abuse...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sunnewspapers.net.

Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#204997 Jun 20, 2012
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>Links to your stats please.
No links. Just reality:

I have seen streets FREE of Chicanos in Phoenix thanks to Arpaio's sweeps. No cars up on blocks. No 100 beer cans in the front yard...
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#204998 Jun 20, 2012
_White American_ wrote:
Here's one for all that don't want illegals working here.
"U.S. working with Ecuador, Honduras, Peru to protect labor rights
Published June 11, 2012
EFE
The Labor Department on Monday signed cooperation agreements with Ecuador, Honduras, Peru and The Philippines to make known and protect the labor rights of immigrants from those countries who are working in the United States.
The agreements "protect every person who works here, independently of their immigration status," Labor Secretary Hilda Solis told Efe after signing the accords with the countries' respective ambassadors.
Starting now, there will be more government information campaigns mounted to explain what rights employees have and the consulates will become offices that will provide advice to citizens of those countries about problems in the workplace.
The basic element of the accords, Solis said, is confidentiality. "All the information that comes to us is confidential and we're not going to share that information with the other federal agencies."
"We have bilingual people, who speak Spanish, to provide information about these rights and we have investigators who can handle these complaints," she said.
Ecuadorian Ambassador to Washington Nathalie Cely said she believes that the bilateral accord she signed will allow "bearing witness to cases of injustice among the workers, because the Ecuadorian knows that, when he is in the consulate, he's on his territory and has his (rights) protected."
"In the past, there was a lot of fear, especially among immigrants in an irregular situation. It's created a lot of injustice and labor exploitation and we must call it by that name," the ambassador said.
Peru's envoy, Harold Forsyth, told Efe that up to now Peruvian workers have only been able to "badly defend their rights if they don't know the rights provided to them by law."
Forsyth said that the accord contributes to spreading knowledge of workers' rights, but also to "the active training of the general consulates in the country so that they are in better condition to aid their countrymen in labor terms."
The Honduran ambassador, Jorge Ramon Hernandez Alcerro, said that the great advance with the signing of the accords is that "the U.S. and Honduran governments are together ... in protecting the dignity of Honduran workers here."
Immigrant workers will be able to learn in detail about things such as salaries, medical protection, visas, agricultural labor, the rights of young people and the fact that lie detectors are prohibited, among other things.
The agreements are similar to those reached earlier between the Labor Department and Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic, and it is expected that new accords will be signed with still more embassies. EFE"
Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/06...
So you prefer illegals to Americans who need jobs? Have you no loyalty to this nation?
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#204999 Jun 20, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>You really should use your registered account Rico.
He embarasses himself with X Man and The Real American

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#205000 Jun 20, 2012
Good. Isreal has the best security because they profile. The NSA has a horrible record because they aren't allowed to do this.

The law DOESN'T say that people will be stopped for no reason you have to be suspected of wrong-doing. Traffic issues, etc. Thats the way the law always has been. I drove around the block twice and I was stopped. Big deal.
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#205002 Jun 20, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>Bottom line, your write pure b.s. and have no real knowledge!
He BLUFFS it

OR

he steals intelligently written articles from others and does not credit the real author

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#205003 Jun 20, 2012
Courtney Caverhall wrote:
<quoted text>
So you prefer illegals to Americans who need jobs? Have you no loyalty to this nation?
Thousands of posts, dozens of names, yet still nothing of substance to say. Sad.
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#205004 Jun 20, 2012
Fed Up in NM wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands of posts, dozens of names, yet still nothing of substance to say. Sad.
Describing yourself?
Richard Guerra

United States

#205005 Jun 20, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>You really should use your registered account Rico.
Practive what u preach.
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#205006 Jun 20, 2012
Richard Guerra wrote:
<quoted text> Practive what u preach.
Practive?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

“Peace”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#205007 Jun 20, 2012
Fed Up in NM wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands of posts, dozens of names, yet still nothing of substance to say. Sad.
Good Aternoon NM. I have that poster on ignore.
Have a good day.
Richard Guerra

United States

#205008 Jun 20, 2012
Im on my lunch break and decided to goto Hooters. I told the manager that I want my food served by a Latina waitress. hehehehehe

Since: Dec 11

Fort Worth, TX

#205009 Jun 20, 2012
okeedokee wrote:
<quoted text>
you're full of shi*..pop-eye
Thaqnks for your comment. Popeye was a sailor, for future reference.

“Peace”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#205010 Jun 20, 2012
"Hispanic communities across Arizona are preparing to carry out acts of non-violent resistance designed to protect themselves against what they fear is an imminent surge in police harassment against them, the Guardian has learned.

Groups working with Latino immigrant communities in Phoenix and other cities across the state are actively discussing protest measures from mass demonstrations to a refusal to carry papers even if they are full US citizens in preparation for what they fear will be the introduction of blatant racial profiling by the authorities.

The deliberations come as Arizonans anxiously await the decision of the US supreme court, possibly as early as Monday, over the state's controversial immigration law SB1070 that imposes a swingeing attack on undocumented immigrants, most of whom are of Mexican origin.

State authorities are equally actively preparing on their side to implement some of the most hotly contested and feared aspects of the law, which was introduced in 2010 with the express aim of making life in Arizona so uncomfortable for undocumented immigrants that they would quit the state.

In particular, all eyes are on section 2b dubbed the "show your papers" clause that requires police officers to investigate the immigration status of any person they come in contact with should they have a "reasonable suspicion" that the individual is undocumented.

Jan Brewer, Arizona's governor, has ordered police chiefs to redistribute a training video that was prepared in 2010 when SB1070 was enacted. It purports to educate police officers in how to enforce the "reasonable suspicion" clause without straying into racial profiling which would be in breach of the US constitution.

Brewer's executive order is a clear indication that she believes that section 2b will be allowed to stand by the supreme court. It has been on hold for the past two years awaiting the court's judgement.

When the supreme court considered SB1070 in April, the sceptical questions by many of the nine justices suggested that they were minded to uphold the "reasonable suspicion" clause.

"The governor is optimistic that the heart of SB1070 will be upheld and implemented," Matthew Benson, Brewer's press spokesman, told the Arizona Republic."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/13/l...

“ON THE PROWL”

Since: May 08

Ocala, FL

#205011 Jun 20, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
See, now you're starting to think. Not only they know who they are but who their parents are. It's a step to at least knowing who we have in this country.
YUP but will obama or ICE react is the question..

Eagle
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#205012 Jun 20, 2012
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>Good Aternoon NM. I have that poster on ignore.
Have a good day.
I know. That simply tells me you have no answers...
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#205013 Jun 20, 2012
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>Good Aternoon NM. I have that poster on ignore.
Have a good day.
Can you get Rico to ignore me for the next 10,000 years?
Courtney Caverhall

Phoenix, AZ

#205014 Jun 20, 2012
_White American_ wrote:
"Hispanic communities across Arizona are preparing to carry out acts of non-violent resistance designed to protect themselves against what they fear is an imminent surge in police harassment against them, the Guardian has learned.
Groups working with Latino immigrant communities in Phoenix and other cities across the state are actively discussing protest measures from mass demonstrations to a refusal to carry papers even if they are full US citizens in preparation for what they fear will be the introduction of blatant racial profiling by the authorities.
The deliberations come as Arizonans anxiously await the decision of the US supreme court, possibly as early as Monday, over the state's controversial immigration law SB1070 that imposes a swingeing attack on undocumented immigrants, most of whom are of Mexican origin.
State authorities are equally actively preparing on their side to implement some of the most hotly contested and feared aspects of the law, which was introduced in 2010 with the express aim of making life in Arizona so uncomfortable for undocumented immigrants that they would quit the state.
In particular, all eyes are on section 2b dubbed the "show your papers" clause that requires police officers to investigate the immigration status of any person they come in contact with should they have a "reasonable suspicion" that the individual is undocumented.
Jan Brewer, Arizona's governor, has ordered police chiefs to redistribute a training video that was prepared in 2010 when SB1070 was enacted. It purports to educate police officers in how to enforce the "reasonable suspicion" clause without straying into racial profiling which would be in breach of the US constitution.
Brewer's executive order is a clear indication that she believes that section 2b will be allowed to stand by the supreme court. It has been on hold for the past two years awaiting the court's judgement.
When the supreme court considered SB1070 in April, the sceptical questions by many of the nine justices suggested that they were minded to uphold the "reasonable suspicion" clause.
"The governor is optimistic that the heart of SB1070 will be upheld and implemented," Matthew Benson, Brewer's press spokesman, told the Arizona Republic."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/13/l...
Will they give up their public assitance benefits to protest?

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#205015 Jun 20, 2012
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
YUP but will obama or ICE react is the question..
Eagle
I doubt it, but it's a step to knowing who is in our country.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#205016 Jun 20, 2012
Terry Buckeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Thaqnks for your comment. Popeye was a sailor, for future reference.
LMAO!!

“Try Reuters.”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#205017 Jun 20, 2012
Courtney Caverhall wrote:
<quoted text>
No links. Just reality:
I have seen streets FREE of Chicanos in Phoenix thanks to Arpaio's sweeps. No cars up on blocks. No 100 beer cans in the front yard...
You must live in a rough neighborhood. You should get a job, save some money and maybe you can move up. You can't expect a better view while living on welfare entitlements in a trailer park, you know? BTW, even sheriff Joe can't arrest Chicanos for being Chicanos. They're Americans. They'd have to commit a crime. Are you saying you also live in a crime ridden neighborhood? Like I said, get a job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Snowball the Elep... 1,275,670
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Joe Balls 196,989
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min woodtick57 193,677
News Trump meets with families of victims of undocum... 4 min Dee Dee Dee 1
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 7 min Pietro Armando 1,436
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 15 min uther pendragon 3,241
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 min Gary Coaldigger 12,602
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 34 min Taletha 340,826
News Donald Trump: Jorge Ramos 'like a madman' 55 min - Lady Liberty - 164
More from around the web