President Obama's Weekly Address: Time for 'Commonsense' Immigration Reform

Jun 22, 2013 Full story: WTMA-AM North Charleston 46

In his weekly address, President Obama discusses the bipartisan immigration legislation being debated in the Senate, and calls for Congress to pass a bill that would fix the current "broken" immigration system as the Senate gets ready to vote on a plan next week.

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Bloomfield, NJ

#21 Jun 24, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you to a certain degree.
but there is a difference between "immigration" and "invasion". do you know the difference?
one is hostile and the other is friendly.
what is happening this time around is hostile. we in the usa are dealing with foreigners who believe they have rights in the usa.
the fact is - they don't.
I had worked with many illegals and most of them want papers to have a normal life here and be able to progress here. I didn't feel any hostility from them. The rest are people who are here temporary just to make money to send them home.

I asked one of them one day : Louis, would you pay 5 grant to get your papers ? He said : 5 grant??? I would pay 15 grant to get my papers. I asked him why and he replied : Because I want to buy a house , a car and be able to visit my family back home once a year or every other year. Where do you see the hostility in that ?

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#22 Jun 24, 2013
Ambro2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I am talking about. The truth is the economy will benefit from this bill and nobody needs a report to realize that.
just how do you see the usa economy benefiting from an amnesty that would allow 50+ MILLION new citizens when we already have double digit unemployment?

your "truth" sounds like another speech from obama.

Location hidden

#23 Jun 24, 2013
Ambro2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had worked with many illegals and most of them want papers to have a normal life here and be able to progress here. I didn't feel any hostility from them. The rest are people who are here temporary just to make money to send them home.
I asked one of them one day : Louis, would you pay 5 grant to get your papers ? He said : 5 grant??? I would pay 15 grant to get my papers. I asked him why and he replied : Because I want to buy a house , a car and be able to visit my family back home once a year or every other year. Where do you see the hostility in that ?
they used to have a "citizenship investment plan" where a foreigner could obtain a green card with an nonrefundable $40,000 investment in a local business in the usa.

that is something I would consider.

but promises mean nothing to me. they are broken all the time.

as for the hostility that I have spoken about.. it is coming mainly from the hispanics. and is confirmed by much of the rhetoric you hear coming from the hispanic front. guys like antonio villanosa, joe baca, bill richardson, juan hernandez, fabian nunez, etc. essentially everyone in the hispanic caucas. one would have to be deaf to not hear it.

these people are not unknowns. they are politicians in affluent positions. and they preach this bullshit.

in a nutshell, mexicans are taught in their schools that the usa "stole" the southwestern states from them. ask any mexican. and they will tell you this.

there is so much of this bullshit on the net. one only needs to google it to read it. there are youtube videos documenting this rhetoric of hostility coming straight from the mouths of these people.

like I said before, you do not grant citizenship to the usa to people who hate it.

when you do, it is not "immigration", it is an INVASION. a hostile one at that.
Bob Lewis

AOL

#24 Jun 24, 2013
Whoopppee. Now the great Manipulator says Reids Bill which does NOTHING to assure actual COMPLETION of the Border Fence just "plans" for it at ONLY ONE persons descretion....Open Border Napolitano..........is "common sense".
Sorry POTUS.........we aren't as stupid or self destructive and you want us to be but keep on demonizing Americans. It seems to be what you do best. One of the ONLY things you do well.
Bantu

Kampala, Uganda

#25 Jun 25, 2013
Bob Lewis wrote:
Whoopppee. Now the great Manipulator says Reids Bill which does NOTHING to assure actual COMPLETION of the Border Fence just "plans" for it at ONLY ONE persons descretion....Open Border Napolitano..........is "common sense".
Sorry POTUS.........we aren't as stupid or self destructive and you want us to be but keep on demonizing Americans. It seems to be what you do best. One of the ONLY things you do well.
So how then would you suggest this issue be handled? I believe that not all these people are hostile. So what kind of approach or strategy would you propose? The bill being fronted has a step by step policy that seeks to screen and consider some of these people for legal settlement. Its not a blind path that seeks to dish out status to these people. There is need for a win/win path that will take this Country forward. this is my opinion and thought.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#26 Jun 25, 2013
'Commonsense' sounds like a Sequester distraction.
Bob Lewis

AOL

#27 Jun 25, 2013
Bantu wrote:
<quoted text>
So how then would you suggest this issue be handled? I believe that not all these people are hostile. So what kind of approach or strategy would you propose? The bill being fronted has a step by step policy that seeks to screen and consider some of these people for legal settlement. Its not a blind path that seeks to dish out status to these people. There is need for a win/win path that will take this Country forward. this is my opinion and thought.
There is a clear path which is a Win Win. Award all who are currently in America illegally "guest worker" status if they can prove "employment'. This is fair to both Americans and to the plight of the undocumented workers.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#28 Jun 25, 2013
Back of the line, and make the new law one that works for today.

Bloomfield, NJ

#29 Jun 26, 2013
Bob Lewis wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a clear path which is a Win Win. Award all who are currently in America illegally "guest worker" status if they can prove "employment'. This is fair to both Americans and to the plight of the undocumented workers.
That could work fine for many illegals but it could create problems in the long run and for that you need to take the example of many countries in Europe.

Bloomfield, NJ

#30 Jun 26, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
just how do you see the usa economy benefiting from an amnesty that would allow 50+ MILLION new citizens when we already have double digit unemployment?
your "truth" sounds like another speech from obama.
Ask CBO and the'll explain you how. BTW, we're not talking about 50+ million.

Bloomfield, NJ

#31 Jun 26, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
they used to have a "citizenship investment plan" where a foreigner could obtain a green card with an nonrefundable $40,000 investment in a local business in the usa.
that is something I would consider.
but promises mean nothing to me. they are broken all the time.
as for the hostility that I have spoken about.. it is coming mainly from the hispanics. and is confirmed by much of the rhetoric you hear coming from the hispanic front. guys like antonio villanosa, joe baca, bill richardson, juan hernandez, fabian nunez, etc. essentially everyone in the hispanic caucas. one would have to be deaf to not hear it.
these people are not unknowns. they are politicians in affluent positions. and they preach this bullshit.
in a nutshell, mexicans are taught in their schools that the usa "stole" the southwestern states from them. ask any mexican. and they will tell you this.
there is so much of this bullshit on the net. one only needs to google it to read it. there are youtube videos documenting this rhetoric of hostility coming straight from the mouths of these people.
like I said before, you do not grant citizenship to the usa to people who hate it.
when you do, it is not "immigration", it is an INVASION. a hostile one at that.
Did you trust Bush and his promises ? Like I said before : politicians, weather people and lawyers are LEGAL LIARS. But, unfortunately the society cannot function without them. So, you're right when you say the promises mean nothing to you but there is no alternative to it.

Location hidden

#32 Jun 26, 2013
Ambro2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask CBO and the'll explain you how. BTW, we're not talking about 50+ million.
the border patrol says in their humble opinion that the number of illegals is between 50 to 70 million.

YOU says it's not 50+ million?

so, what do you think it is? 8 million? 11 million? BOTH are numbers that have been used for the pass 20 years.

do you really believe we are so stupid to believe that number is still the same?

Bloomfield, NJ

#33 Jun 26, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
the border patrol says in their humble opinion that the number of illegals is between 50 to 70 million.
YOU says it's not 50+ million?
so, what do you think it is? 8 million? 11 million? BOTH are numbers that have been used for the pass 20 years.
do you really believe we are so stupid to believe that number is still the same?
So you're saying that the population of USA today is 365 millions and 50 millions are illegals ?!?!? That means 1 in 7 is illegal.

In such case an immigration reform is more needed than if there are 11 millions.

Location hidden

#34 Jun 27, 2013
Ambro2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying that the population of USA today is 365 millions and 50 millions are illegals ?!?!? That means 1 in 7 is illegal.
In such case an immigration reform is more needed than if there are 11 millions.
what we need is law ENFORCEMENT.

granting amnesty to a large group of non-citizens who mind you don't respect our laws to begin with is asking for trouble.

frankly, your belief that they will all be new taxpayers who will flood the federal coffins with more revenue is bullshit.

it is more likely they would use the citizenship status to forward an agenda of invasion and takeover.

reality.

Location hidden

#35 Jun 27, 2013
..it is the SAME MO used by the muslims.

and one only needs to see what is happening to the EU to understand the failure of an open amnesty consisting of MILLIONS of new citizens.

france, the uk, denmark, etc are now all trying to reverse the liberal immigration policies of the last century that they pushed.

they realize that the muslims have absolutely no intention of assimilating with them. quite the reverse, they push for sharia law.

unbelievable.

and now, we have the illegals which consists mostly of mexicans trying to push the same bullshit agenda to take over what they believe is land taken from them in the mexican american war back 150+ years ago.

listen to their war cries..

their leaders are guys like juan hernandez, fabian nunez, joe baca, bill richardson, etc. the list goes on.

prominent politicians known by all in the usa.

Bloomfield, NJ

#36 Jun 27, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
..it is the SAME MO used by the muslims.
and one only needs to see what is happening to the EU to understand the failure of an open amnesty consisting of MILLIONS of new citizens.
france, the uk, denmark, etc are now all trying to reverse the liberal immigration policies of the last century that they pushed.
they realize that the muslims have absolutely no intention of assimilating with them. quite the reverse, they push for sharia law.
unbelievable.
and now, we have the illegals which consists mostly of mexicans trying to push the same bullshit agenda to take over what they believe is land taken from them in the mexican american war back 150+ years ago.
listen to their war cries..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ajkAP_M4ZAMXX
their leaders are guys like juan hernandez, fabian nunez, joe baca, bill richardson, etc. the list goes on.
prominent politicians known by all in the usa.
France, Denmark, UK and all other European countries are not countries built by immigrants like USA.

Bloomfield, NJ

#37 Jun 27, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
what we need is law ENFORCEMENT.
granting amnesty to a large group of non-citizens who mind you don't respect our laws to begin with is asking for trouble.
frankly, your belief that they will all be new taxpayers who will flood the federal coffins with more revenue is bullshit.
it is more likely they would use the citizenship status to forward an agenda of invasion and takeover.
reality.
Don't forget this large group of people is deeply integrated in US economy. These people hold jobs they are not on welfare. Once you remove them the US economy is gonna be badly affected.

Location hidden

#39 Jun 27, 2013
Ambro2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
France, Denmark, UK and all other European countries are not countries built by immigrants like USA.
we're talking about non-usa citizens here. ILLEGALS in the usa ILLEGALLY. in other words.. THEY ARE FOREIGNERS. NOT immigrants.

however way you want to spin it, they are not citizens of the usa.

and as such, they have absolutely NO business being in the usa. PERIOD.

Location hidden

#40 Jun 27, 2013
Ambro2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget this large group of people is deeply integrated in US economy. These people hold jobs they are not on welfare. Once you remove them the US economy is gonna be badly affected.
contrary to YOUR claim, MOST of these ILLEGALS.. FOREIGNERS.. are on welfare. they have jobs that they should not have.

they are taking advantage of resources in the usa that are suppose to be there for citizens of the usa. NOT FOREIGNERS.

as for YOUR claim that removing them will badly affect the usa economy, I beg to differ. frankly, I think it would alleviate to a large degree the double digit unemployment that we are currently experiencing.

it would free up badly needed jobs for americans.

Bloomfield, NJ

#41 Jun 27, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
contrary to YOUR claim, MOST of these ILLEGALS.. FOREIGNERS.. are on welfare. they have jobs that they should not have.
they are taking advantage of resources in the usa that are suppose to be there for citizens of the usa. NOT FOREIGNERS.
as for YOUR claim that removing them will badly affect the usa economy, I beg to differ. frankly, I think it would alleviate to a large degree the double digit unemployment that we are currently experiencing.
it would free up badly needed jobs for americans.
The same thing have said many generations of Americans who were not very happy about more people coming in but, the history has proven that every wave of foreigners have had a positive impact to both US economy and society.

Removing 11 million from a country would never improve the economy of that country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republican Party shifts on immigration with hig... 13 min Shinichiro Takizawa 18
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 17 min Key watcher 8,636
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 21 min Aura Mytha 127,770
Republicans challenge Obama's executive actions... 30 min Gary 173
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 35 min Get Schooled Here 2,957
Legal scholars: Obama's immigration actions lawful 35 min Gary 7
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 37 min John Galt 1,144,008
Elizabeth Warren calls out Obama on nominee 1 hr See the Light 4
Immigrants Social Security eligible in Obama plan 2 hr Even Steven 7
Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 2 hr Even Steven 2
Obama heckled 4 hr The Firm Di-ck 10
White House pressures Chuck Hagel to resign as ... 4 hr Lawrence Wolf 32

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE