Dahlonega Rangers arrested

Dahlonega Rangers arrested

There are 37 comments on the The Times story from Jan 25, 2008, titled Dahlonega Rangers arrested. In it, The Times reports that:

“These men were trained to defend the people and principals of this country, not to use their skills to steal cocaine from drug dealers at gunpoint.”

By Stephen Gurr [email protected] Four soldiers, including three Army Rangers, stationed at Dahlonega's Camp Frank D. Merrill face federal charges of conspiring to rob drug dealers at gunpoint. via The Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
thumper

United States

#1 Jan 26, 2008
Why is it bad to rob drug dealers? Can someone enlighten me?
Contractor

United States

#2 Jan 27, 2008
No more a crime then say........sneaking across the border.
twistyseaway

Dallas, GA

#3 Jan 27, 2008
I'm sure the defendants will claim entrapment or that they were only going after drug dealers on their own. But when the taped conversations are made public, it will be quite obvious that they were just plain greedy. This case is a slam dunk, open and shut. Sorry guys, but you should really have known better.
docrich

Carnesville, GA

#4 Jan 27, 2008
thumper wrote:
Why is it bad to rob drug dealers? Can someone enlighten me?
It is bad Thumper, because they took with them into a populated area, an AR-15 rifle which would easily put rounds through the thin galvanized walls of the storage facility doors and into the apt building across the street! Not to mention that they were going to kill the guys and if they got caught in the act that they were gonna kill the men who try and catch them! I mean come on.... it's not like I work with the guys or anything..... or wait a minute, do I?
Rangerwife

Stratford, OK

#5 Jan 28, 2008
docrich wrote:
<quoted text>
It is bad Thumper, because they took with them into a populated area, an AR-15 rifle which would easily put rounds through the thin galvanized walls of the storage facility doors and into the apt building across the street! Not to mention that they were going to kill the guys and if they got caught in the act that they were gonna kill the men who try and catch them! I mean come on.... it's not like I work with the guys or anything..... or wait a minute, do I?
Docrich, maybe you work with them but how are you helping a fellow Ranger any by posting that? Did they say to you personally that was their plan? Maybe you should watch what you say....this is America...remember innocent until proven guilty? I'm not defending their actions...in fact it makes me angry that they exploited their training for something like that. But don't try to inject yourself into this...you have no business making the claims you stated above.

Rangers lead the way!
Ranger Buddy

Greenville, NC

#6 Jan 28, 2008
Hey there docrich...you need to check your shot group! First, if you do or have worked with these Ranger Instructors then you would know the kind of people they are. These are good dudes that have just made a very bad choice in their lives. You may not agree with what they have done or why they where doing it but if you have to say something then stand up for these Rangers and help them with their fight that they are going to be facing. People screw up sometimes, but I guess that you never have...huh? Just like Rangerwife said, "innocent until proven guilty." I two am not defending what they did or planned to do, in fact it pisses me off because now the tab I wear on my left shoulder is tarnashed. Don't beat on a man when he is down...or do you enjoy doing that too? And Mr Docrich...I do know these men and I do/did work with them. I have known one of them for a very long time. I have worked, walked, ran, and carried a ruck side-by-side with each of these men. I have seen all the family time each of these Rangers have given up just to stay on camp and make sure that THOUSANDS of students understood what their duties were and that each of them were ready to move out and become better leaders. I DO KNOW what kind of men they are...GOOD ONES THAT HAVE JUST MADE A VERY BAD CHOICE! They are going to answer for what they have done, and when they have they will pick up the pieces and try to start over...and I will help them if they need it or ask for it; as long as it helps them piece whatever life they try to start after this is said and done.
So until you have walked in their shoes or in mine beside them, keep the crying and BS to a minumum. Hang in there bros!

RLTW
docrich

Carnesville, GA

#7 Jan 28, 2008
Ranger Buddy wrote:
Hey there docrich...you need to check your shot group! First, if you do or have worked with these Ranger Instructors then you would know the kind of people they are. These are good dudes that have just made a very bad choice in their lives. You may not agree with what they have done or why they where doing it but if you have to say something then stand up for these Rangers and help them with their fight that they are going to be facing. People screw up sometimes, but I guess that you never have...huh? Just like Rangerwife said, "innocent until proven guilty." I two am not defending what they did or planned to do, in fact it pisses me off because now the tab I wear on my left shoulder is tarnashed. Don't beat on a man when he is down...or do you enjoy doing that too? And Mr Docrich...I do know these men and I do/did work with them. I have known one of them for a very long time. I have worked, walked, ran, and carried a ruck side-by-side with each of these men. I have seen all the family time each of these Rangers have given up just to stay on camp and make sure that THOUSANDS of students understood what their duties were and that each of them were ready to move out and become better leaders. I DO KNOW what kind of men they are...GOOD ONES THAT HAVE JUST MADE A VERY BAD CHOICE! They are going to answer for what they have done, and when they have they will pick up the pieces and try to start over...and I will help them if they need it or ask for it; as long as it helps them piece whatever life they try to start after this is said and done.
So until you have walked in their shoes or in mine beside them, keep the crying and BS to a minumum. Hang in there bros!
RLTW
Hey, you know what.... my bad, really. I Should have used other words and maybe I reacted too harshly. For that I am truely sorry. I do not know 3 of the men that were involved very well at all and I should not have even mentioned the word they or any word bringing them all toghether in the first place. I guess that I am just a little angry because of the repercussions on our guys for the actions of one of them. The guys made a big mistake that day,this I know. And no, I cannot say that I haven't made a bigmistake before myself.. I didn't mean to upset anyone or piss anyone off, but I do have a right to voice my opinion. And I truely feel nothing but sympathy for the familys that are torn apart by the selfish actions of these men. Once again, I am sorry if I upset anyone by the foolish post that I made previously.

Since: Jan 08

United States

#8 Jan 29, 2008
docrich wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you know what.... my bad, really. I Should have used other words and maybe I reacted too harshly. For that I am truely sorry. I do not know 3 of the men that were involved very well at all and I should not have even mentioned the word they or any word bringing them all toghether in the first place. I guess that I am just a little angry because of the repercussions on our guys for the actions of one of them. The guys made a big mistake that day,this I know. And no, I cannot say that I haven't made a bigmistake before myself.. I didn't mean to upset anyone or piss anyone off, but I do have a right to voice my opinion. And I truely feel nothing but sympathy for the familys that are torn apart by the selfish actions of these men. Once again, I am sorry if I upset anyone by the foolish post that I made previously.
docrich, of course you have the right to voice your opinion but you don't have the right to make assumptions based on what you think you might know. Those soldiers have families, don't forget that. There are children involved. As the wife of a Ranger (we pcs'd from the 5th almost a year ago) I cannot even begin to imagine what the families are thinking, what is being said to the kids. Put yourself in your fellow Rangers's shoes. Yes they screwed up, and it was a HUGE screw up, but how would you feel if you heard that fellow Rangers were totally selling you out? Wouldn't you feel a little let down? Now I do get that many of the boys up there are feeling let down by these guys too. I'm ticked off and I'm not even a Ranger...I'm just the wife! I'm not trying to rake you over the coals, I just wanted to point out that you go around telling what you think is the true story.

As I said before, we're not there anymore. My husband worked side by side with these guys. One of them stayed at our house during another troublesome time in his life. I by no means agree with their choices,in fact I am appalled that they exploited their training for such a purpose. But I do think that everyone needs to be supportive of their families. I'm thinking about them everyday and wishing them well.
docrich

Phenix City, AL

#9 Jan 29, 2008
Point taken!:)
RLTW _Some of us do

Dahlonega, GA

#10 Jan 29, 2008
I know all of the accused individuals. They are more than capable of defending, killing, saving, or giving their life for what they feel is right. A true question would be "what is right?" I've walked with these Ranger Buddies and some of you will know who is posting this (MRA). I believe doing away with a couple of SOB drug dealers would be no big deal, hell, I'm retired and would love to join in on that one... taking the drugs and or money is a different story. It would be fun and gratifying to take loosers, the same individuals that would not hesitate to sell to children, off of this planet considering nature has and will do alot worse. I am and will continue to await the outcome (more info) from this. These Ranger Buddies have cheated and got caught trying!!! I don't believe judgement has been passed other than ones nickname (FIO). If you are not a RANGER, I suggest comments to yourself...
We the willing
Led by the unknown
Have done the impossible
for the ungrateful
We have done so much
with so little
for so long
We are now qualified
to do anything
With nothing
Ranger Friend

Macedonia, OH

#11 Jan 29, 2008
I have to agree with Ranger Wife and Ranger Buddy. I know all of them and some of thier families and this is of course a bad choice but that does not mean the TAB should be tarnished by a few bad choices. Rangers are human too and they work harder than any civilian will ever know. I know I couldn't do the things they do. Just think who the Commander in Chief calls in first, yep, Rangers. How do you think that they got "Rangers Lead the Way". These men should be supported even though they did mess up but like Ranger buddy said who hasn't. If I was ever in need of protection or support guess who I would call on. Oh wait, aren't they already doing that in Iraq, Afganistan, Bosina, you name it. Think about what you say before you speak, I am grateful for the Rangers and always will.
Ranger Buddy wrote:
RLTW

Since: Jan 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#12 Jan 31, 2008
I have been away from camp Merrill for a while and these men were both good friends and the type of soldiers you could count on to get any task completed. Thats what a ranger is made of. Docrich, you and I have also worked together and even had a few beers together and I know who gave you such an outspoken personality. I hope only the best for our misguided rangers and their families.
Rangers Lead The Way!!
itsmysecret

Moultrie, GA

#13 Feb 2, 2008
I know that you do in fact work with them...and believe me...as the wife of one of these soldiers, I am very hurt by your comments. I would hope that if you were blocked into a parking lot and the life of YOUR child was threatened, you would do whatever you could to defend him. There was no plan or attempt of hurting ANYONE here. This is an isolated event in which the government is letting off a KNOWN CRIMINAL and aiming to entrap innocent men who happened to make a wrong choice - or so is the case with my husband... but thank you for your comments RICH. It SICKENS me to know that you have been to my home. I'm trying to be strong and know that God is in charge. I can only pray that he softens your heart and that you see YOUR CHILD'S face each time you think of what MY HUSBAND did or did not do.
docrich wrote:
<quoted text>
Ranger2-75

Kirkland, WA

#14 Feb 3, 2008
Right, wrong, indifferent...this was a complete lapse of judgement. ANOTHER degrading day for the Regiment... by RTB. Thanks fellas. Keep leading the way...or go back and read the CREED. Bout time you start living it down there.
Now before all of you start whining about how Im not being suportive, save it. These men were wrong. PERIOD. Time to pay. I have no pity. MY brothers EARNED their berets.
prayingdaily

Douglas, GA

#15 Feb 5, 2008
I don't think that anyone except these 4 rangers really knows what happened. I am very sad for the families involved and I want them to know that they are being prayed for daily by me and my family. God bless you and your loved ones in this difficult time.
knowsthetruth

Covington, LA

#16 Feb 6, 2008
Ranger2-75 I do know the truth. I have been in the courtroom through all the proceedings. No I'm not related to one or more of these young men. You have no ideal the truth here. I would let any one of these four young men get my back before the likes of you. You have no right to judge these men by saying "my brothers earned their berets". You, evidently, would turn you back on "your brothers" at a drop of a hat. If you knew the truth of this situation you would be furious at how four highly decorative soldiers, who yes EARNED their ranks, with not one mark on their record could be used and set up by the government they each have defended by putting their lives on the line. Several of these men wanted out of this before the actual event took place only to have threats made against children and family. Now who are the bad guys here? Young men who made a bad choice to listen to a plan or the ones who thought the plan up, told how to carry it off and threatened lives if it was not carried out. No wonder our young people are rising against this wonderful government. My eyes have definitely been opened as to the lengths our government will go to get their names in the paper.
I hope and pray each of these men and their families know I am praying for them. If I could I would gladly support each family until their loved one was back home with them and then each of these men would have a place in my home and a job waiting for them. I pray their fellow Rangers and other military families will step up the the plate and support these men and their families. If not for the grace of God this could have been you.
knowsthetruth

Covington, LA

#17 Feb 6, 2008
Ranger2-75 I do know the truth. Not hear say, not reading other peoples articles, I have head the truth myself. You have no ideal the truth here. I would let any one of these four young men get my back before the likes of you. You have no right to judge these men by saying "my brothers earned their berets". If you cared about "your brothers" you wouldn't turn you back on them as you have here, especially when you don't know what you are talking about. If you knew the TRUTH of this situation you would be furious at how four decorated soldiers, who yes EARNED their many medals and rank, with not one mark on their record could be used and set up by the government they each have defended by putting their lives on the line. No wonder our young people are feeling the way they do about our government. I know my eyes have been opened.

I hope and pray each of these men and their families know I am praying for them. If I could I would gladly support each family until their loved one was back home with them and then each of these men would have a place in my home and a job waiting for them. I pray their fellow Rangers and other military families will step up the the plate and support these men and their families. If not but for the Grace of God this could have been you.
Rangerwife

United States

#18 Feb 7, 2008
knowsthetruth, thank you for standing up for our guys. I have been reading various posts supposedly put there by guys from regiment and frankly, I am disgusted. The regiment guys are acting as if we all owe them something more then any fellow solider let alone a fellow Ranger. I hate to break it to you regiment guys but to earn your tab, you were once as low on the who's who of Rangers totem pole. These guys earned everything on their shoulders. Unless you've met these guys, you should keep your mouth shut. You know nothing about them, their families,or their fellow Rangers at RTB. I don't agree with their actions and no one does but I'll be damned if I'd turn my back on them. I'm just a Ranger's wife but I still know what it means to have support from other soldiers. Maybe all the Regiment guys out there who are so gun ho to trash these soldiers should reread the Ranger Creed and shut it.
Ranger2-75

Kirkland, WA

#19 Feb 8, 2008
Right, right, right...got it. They were set up. I think its sad that the Regiment gets confused with RTB..or worse, affiliated. Good luck fellas.
Ranger2-75

Kirkland, WA

#20 Feb 9, 2008
PS. With the exception very few...there ARE NO RANGERS at RTB. Only wannabe soldiers who talk the talk but fall quite short when its time to walk the walk. Now, three of them sit in jail...and for good reason. Hardly the resemblence of an Airborne Ranger...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanders backers confront Boxer at book signing 1 min Captain Yesterday 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Dr Guru 219,553
News How Democratic VP Candidate Tim Kaine Evolved o... 1 min ICE 4
News You Can Be Progressive. You Can Be Libertarian.... 2 min freetek 1
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 2 min positronium 5,508
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 2 min Tn clm 6,114
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,404,906
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min HILLARY 2016 233,276
News Trump bounces into the lead 3 min WasteWater 192
News Despite her many roles, Hillary Clinton still h... 3 min spocko 301
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min Born USA 391,375
News Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility t... 10 min Captain Yesterday 280
More from around the web