Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31996 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28106 Oct 6, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
So so critical. It just proves that there is no satisfying you anti's. Yet, you all act like five year olds. Perhaps worse.
No friend, it really doesn't prove anything other than you have a low standard for proof.

Since: Sep 12

Willow Springs, MO

#28107 Oct 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>No friend, it really doesn't prove anything other than you have a low standard for proof.
Faith does not require proof. Quite the opposite. If there was proof, there would be no need for faith.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#28108 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
I, for one, appreciate the honesty from a member of the First Presidency.
It's nice for a change. But notice he did leave out the why. He also came back later with a "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith" statement which is saying the real problem is still you if you have doubts, not the actions of the leaders.

Marysville, CA

#28109 Oct 6, 2013
And should honesty be the standard for the church leaders and not the exception?
pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28110 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
It seems to me that life has been particularly hard on you, and working in a brothel has made you see the world through jaded eyes. However, whether you agree or not with the religious beliefs of others, based on your interactions, does not mean we are all hypocritical "johns," nor does it make us foolish, or "five year olds." There are those who truly believe, and try to live their faith. No matter what the denomination is.
I've never referred to Christians as hypocrites, and I would only refer to an individual as "foolish" never a whole group. And yes I know there are those who truly believe. I don't disagree with you based on any interactions we've had, so your comments are just babbling. You don't even begin to know where I am coming from, since you are "trying" to live your faith, it pretty much keeps you from seeing any other perspective.

Marysville, CA

#28111 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Less is more. An excellent example and your point was well made. Nice job. Remember, keep it simple.
If the Bible isn't the word of God because of minor errors, that certainly would exclude all of LDS scripture along with it. And Christians don't proclaim the Bible to be perfect. Not any that has really read and studied it.

Willow Springs, MO

#28112 Oct 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>It's nice for a change. But notice he did leave out the why. He also came back later with a "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith" statement which is saying the real problem is still you if you have doubts, not the actions of the leaders.
Yes, he did leave out the "why." I would expect him to. He's an Apostle. He's not going to say what those problems are. His focus is to bring all to Christ, not to point out the negatives. It is good that he at least acknowledged that they existed, instead of burying his head in the sand. Even baby steps are steps.

Marysville, CA

#28113 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
I think it's a good start, don't you?
I think it's long past due. But I also think that it is evidence that the internet has had an effect on the membership. People are waking up.
pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28114 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Faith does not require proof. Quite the opposite. If there was proof, there would be no need for faith.
Your comment regarding proof wasn't in regard to faith, it was statement regarding proof about anti's. I can tell you've been listening to the general conference again, but no fret, the warm fuzzy feeling will wear off in a few days and you will be back to your supercilious self in no time.
pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28115 Oct 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nice for a change. But notice he did leave out the why. He also came back later with a "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith" statement which is saying the real problem is still you if you have doubts, not the actions of the leaders.
Yes, I noticed that he left out the why, which is really the most important revelation, don't you think?
pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28116 Oct 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
And should honesty be the standard for the church leaders and not the exception?
Hit the nail on the head, you did.

Marysville, CA

#28117 Oct 6, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>

By his own admission concerning his so called 'Mormon up bringing' he likes to remind people of, he never learned a fricking thing seriously.
This from a self admitted 3 month active member? You have no room to talk, even though you always have to put your 2 cents worth. But I'll compare my knowledge of 33 years to your 3 months any time you like.

Marysville, CA

#28118 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
So so critical. It just proves that there is no satisfying you anti's. Yet, you all act like five year olds. Perhaps worse.
Oh, you have your share of minors here yourself. LOL!!!

Willow Springs, MO

#28119 Oct 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I've never referred to Christians as hypocrites, and I would only refer to an individual as "foolish" never a whole group. And yes I know there are those who truly believe. I don't disagree with you based on any interactions we've had, so your comments are just babbling. You don't even begin to know where I am coming from, since you are "trying" to live your faith, it pretty much keeps you from seeing any other perspective.
You are making blind assumptions about my "perspective." I never said that "I" was trying to live my faith. I said that there are "those" who are trying. Furthermore, I am making my "babbling" about you based on all that you've said here on Topix. Now if I am wrong, it is only because of what you erroneously related here in your posts.

Marysville, CA

#28120 Oct 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>And Christians including Mormons also claim Adam was the first man, which The Bible does not state, ya'll make things up to fit your fancy.
True, that.
pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28121 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, he did leave out the "why." I would expect him to. He's an Apostle. He's not going to say what those problems are. His focus is to bring all to Christ, not to point out the negatives. It is good that he at least acknowledged that they existed, instead of burying his head in the sand. Even baby steps are steps.
Perhaps he was trying to follow the Popes lead,{who was able to point out the negative with his flock} and yes baby step do count.

Willow Springs, MO

#28122 Oct 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>If the Bible isn't the word of God because of minor errors, that certainly would exclude all of LDS scripture along with it. And Christians don't proclaim the Bible to be perfect. Not any that has really read and studied it.
Maybe I misunderstood what I read. I don't believe he said that the Bible wasn't the word of God. He said that it wasn't written "by" God. Other than that, I would readily agree.

Willow Springs, MO

#28123 Oct 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Your comment regarding proof wasn't in regard to faith, it was statement regarding proof about anti's. I can tell you've been listening to the general conference again, but no fret, the warm fuzzy feeling will wear off in a few days and you will be back to your supercilious self in no time.
Wrong again, Pearl. Your assumptions are really taking a toll on your ass. I haven't watched any of it. Try, try again.

Willow Springs, MO

#28124 Oct 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, you have your share of minors here yourself. LOL!!!
:-)
pearl

West Jordan, UT

#28125 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
You are making blind assumptions about my "perspective." I never said that "I" was trying to live my faith. I said that there are "those" who are trying. Furthermore, I am making my "babbling" about you based on all that you've said here on Topix. Now if I am wrong, it is only because of what you erroneously related here in your posts.
Sorry, you're right. If you say you're not trying to live your faith I can easily buy that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News Trump on unarmed Clinton guards: 'Let's se... 3 min payme 779
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Chimney1 209,927
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 4 min Truth is might 10,462
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min valerie 244,032
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 32 min USA 11,283
News New Clinton ad highlights Republicans criticizi... 36 min Le Jimbo 92
News Post-debate poll: Clinton takes round one 38 min Le Jimbo 270
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr USAsince1680 1,433,288
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr valerie 395,974
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr District 1 225,420
More from around the web