Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31996 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#25166 May 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to check your own ignorance. When Moses wrote the laws concerning slavery, the Jews were still wandering in the desert.
They wondered in the desert for 40 years... Moses was taken before entering the promised land.

What are you saying?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25167 May 5, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
It just really saddens me that you accused me of lying when you have no proof... because you are wrong.
It really saddens me that you were referring to me in your statement accusing me of being Carol and lifting my dressing up... BTW: I don't do that.
You need to leave me alone.
Your BBF (Dana) can handle his own battles... or can't he? He is here preaching against Mormonism... I am here to prove him wrong.
It also really saddens me you are here to attack Mormons instead of debating for your religion.

“The Pleasure is all MINE”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25168 May 5, 2013
The BIBLE was not merely written in ENGLISH.

Are you that dullwitted that you sit here and make an argument based on only a fraction of the history of the translation?

And still, that quote below? NOTHING in it implies changes to Genesis 4.
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
English Bible History
http://greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-h...

Location hidden

#25169 May 5, 2013
Yea,

And Christianity was about NOT enslaving the 'less inferior' but instead was about elevating those who seemed to be less intelligent or less capable by finding the truth and moving out of the way so they can be free to learn to their potential and to discover without hinderance.

Paul was a free man and he implored Philemon to NOT think like YOU do, and to not behave like your philosophy. You can go on and on about the history of slavery, but you'll never with another breath be able to justify that under a Biblical foundation. Maybe as Jews, but never as Christians.

As Christians we are mandated to walk away from that. Not to perpetuate it, not to lie to perpetuate it.

I mean this crap in America was excessively brutal, hateful. It was psychotic. It was the OPPOSITE of what Jesus taught and Paul taught.

So no, you don't sit here with your pathetic attempt to sanctify SIN, by pretending it was holy.

When people CAME to America from Europe in the first place, one of the main reasons was that "serfdom", being truly just slavery, was being used by the Catholic church and the Church of England to oppress various people.

And by the word of God those people felt it was best that they leave Europe for the "new world" to be free from that oppression.

How ironic then as time passed they passed the same sinful behavior on themselves towards Irish, Blacks, and Native Americans.

So no, you've just dug yourself a deeper hole. Keep those posts coming!
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You say some of the most pathetic ignorant things someone has to say about history.
Slavery was always about conquering the 'less inferior' person that one thought was less educated and less of an intellectual than themselves.
The history of slavery has never ever shown according to your pathetic idiocy that a society warred with just other societies identical to themselves in education and intelligence so they could have 'smart educated' slaves...lol...fricking to much.
What we describe as ancient modern type societies, they did war with other ancient modern type societies and that was usually for the purpose to conquer another country and to make that country and it's inhabitants part of their own.
But if they wanted a lot of slaves for whatever purpose, they sent troops to an area known to have people still living in huts of grass and mud and crapping in the forest who didn't farm and herd animals but lived off the land as nomads do. A person with an undeveloped intellect proved to be less problematic than a person educated and smart and used logic and reasoning to form protests against how they were being treated.
Why don't you google/bing 'the history of slavery in ancient times' and fricking educate yourself a bit.

Location hidden

#25170 May 5, 2013
See there you go. Unable to understand any grammar.

The first Africans were brought to the US as indentured servants, not as slaves.

Your dullwitted ears hears:

"The first africans ever enslaved in history were brought to the USA"

you're a dumbass... it takes five posts just for you to keep up with a basic conversation.
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you fricking crazy? My racist argument? You pretend to know something and state it like a fricking pathetic idiot. I know you can make intelligent thought out statements. But the first Africans were brought to the US?????????? are you mentally challenged? Read some history! I'll even supply some for you to read concerning Africans being used for slavery, chattel and otherwise.
http://www.brycchancarey.com/slavery/chrono2....
Before 1400: Slavery had existed in Europe from Classical times and did not disappear with the collapse of the Roman Empire. Slaves remained common in Europe throughout the early medieval period. However, slavery of the Classical type became increasingly uncommon in Northern Europe and, by the 11th and 12th centuries, had been effectively abolished in the North. Nevertheless, forms of unfree labour, such as villeinage and serfdom, persisted in the north well into the early modern period. In Southern and Eastern Europe, Classical-style slavery remained a normal part of the society and economy and trade across the Mediterranean and the Atlantic seaboard meant that African slaves began to appear in Italy, Spain, Southern France, and Portugal well before the discovery of the New World in 1492. From about the 8th century onwards, an Arab-run slave trade also flourished, with much of this activity taking place in East Africa, Arabia, and the Indian Ocean. In addition, many African societies themselves had forms of slavery, although these differed considerably, both from each other and from the European and Arabic forms. Although various forms of unfree labour were prevalent in Europe throughout its history, historians refer to 'Chattel Slavery', in which slaves are commodities to be bought and sold, rather than domestic servants or agricultural workers. Chattel Slavery is the characteristic form of slavery in the modern world, and this chronology is concerned primarily with this form.
1441: Start of European slave trading in Africa. The Portuguese captains Antão Gonçalves and Nuno Tristão capture 12 Africans in Cabo Branco (modern Mauritania) and take them to Portugal as slaves.
1444: Lançarote de Freitas, a tax-collector from the Portuguese town of Lagos, forms a company to trade with Africa.
8 August 1444: de Freitas lands 235 kidnapped and enslaved Africans in Lagos, the first large group of African slaves brought to Europe.
1452: Start of the 'sugar-slave complex'. Sugar is first planted in the Portuguese island of Madeira and, for the first time, African slaves are put to work on the sugar plantations.
18 June 1452: Pope Nicholas V issues Dum Diversas, a bull authorising the Portuguese to reduce any non-Christians to the status of slaves.
8 January 1454: Pope Nicholas V issues Romanus Pontifex, a bull granting the Portuguese a perpetual monopoly in trade with Africa. Nevertheless, Spanish traders begin to bring slaves from Africa to Spain.
1461: The first of the Portuguese trading forts, the castle at Arguin (modern Mauritania), is completed.
1462: The Portuguese colony on the Cape Verde Islands is founded, an important way-station in the slave trade.
1462: Portuguese slave traders start to operate in Seville (Spain)
1470s: Despite Papal opposition, Spanish merchants begin to trade in large numbers of slaves in the 1470s
Go to the site and read, get educated...please????

Location hidden

#25171 May 5, 2013
Firstly, it's not belief alone.

It's the fact that you may as well not bother to answer God's question, since you'll just say to God

"Don't worry about it, I saved myself, I paid the debt. I bought off the sinful act."

But more than that is this...

There is NO WAY, when I die, for all of my hypocricy, will God say to me:

"You were first created, and you sided with satan, and I sent you as a black man as punishment. And there on Earth, you did not believe the Pearl of Great Price written by Moses, and found by Joseph Smith. Although every Jewish and Christian religion lacks the teaching about your ancestors and pre-existence, it was true. And because of your lack of faith in JOSEPH SMITHS WRITINGS..."

THAT is not going to happen.

I will rather face God for my hypocricy than to face God with the knowledge that I perpetuated bold faced lies about half of the human race just to keep up some skin color obsessed hateful self righteous fake ACT.

Which IS what you and people like you do.
Father overtime wrote:
So... Osirica is saying that belief alone in Jesus gets you saved. Doing nothing but saying a phrase won't save you silly twit. You are truly a wolf in Sheeps clothing trying your best to deceive any. I can't wait to see the look on your face when god asks you if you say one thing but do another, you are a hypocritical child, correct?

Location hidden

#25172 May 5, 2013
Racism, silly boy, is not about skin color.

Skin color based racism, stupid Mormon is what YOUR religion codified into a so-called holy book. Taking teaching about a pre-existent life and equating black skin as a punishment in the next.

The only other religion that does that, is Hinduism.

Are you an offshot of Hinduism?

Because it seems pretty clear to me that Joseph Smith borrowed ideas from it.
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you ever read in context? Do you realize if you read in context, you'll understand better the response a person makes to another person's post.
Dana stated in total ignorance..."...In the Old Testament, apart from slavery brought on by war, slavery was a means to pay a debt. It wasn't a lifelong commitment. They didn't have prisons."
The link I supplied that you ignorantly had no idea of what it was referencing, proved Dana didn't know what he was saying as usual.
Prisons did exist in the old testament times. Racism was one of the many reasons slavery existed.
Get a life and read what I wrote, quit reading it the way you want what I said to mean. You fail in translation every time you do that.

Location hidden

#25173 May 5, 2013
Goodness,

you can't find one example to support your assumption and accusation that Genesis 4 was altered.

You can't find one example to support your assumption and accusastion that blacks were cursed.

You can't find one example to support your assumption and accusation that the early Hebrews, and Christians treated blacks as an inferior or cursed race.

yet here you are... without a single quoted post. Without a single link or refernce to any actual EVIDENCE...

here you are... yapping away about people, places, names. Like No Surpirse, you can even post a long list of historical facts.

Not one of them however supports this race based skin color crap that YOUR religion teaches.
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Look... read about the reformers.
Read about Martin Luther, John Hus, William Tyndale. That is just a few.
You won't do it because you would rather come in here and accuse others of being racists... when I know I have said not one word racist.
But, you won't even read about the history of how the Church of Rome killed the apostles after they killed Jesus Christ.
Your argument is not about truth... it's about lying about others being RACIST... because you are a RACE BIGOT.

Location hidden

#25174 May 5, 2013
I will be glad to debunk you again
Genesis 2:8 East of what? Is that east of where Noah’s ark LANDED? East of where you WANT it to be? East of where you hope it is relative to Africa?
Ok, so that vague eastliness you bring is dropped for a lack of any actual clarity.
Now you say “we can assume an unnamed river is running east into the garden of Eden” right after you quoted the Bible saying “10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden”
The Bible’s “Out of eden” and your “into the garden” are contradictory. So your assumption is rejected.
Next debunking…
Well you speak far too detailed about what happened, since the very last point is moot.
To the east of Eden, if it was in Africa, could be Yemen, it could be many places. The fact is, this has no bearing on my earlier points. Because we know EDEN had to be in a tropical environment for the humans to live there comfortably. There was no “snow” in Eden. There was no cold weather. There was noting about the leaves changing color and FALLING OFF THE TREES.
Only in Africa, near the EQUATOR, are the seasons so balanced that you can have the potential for a high place of a river, oh lets say THE NILE, branching off into multiple tributaries, one of which surrounding the whole of Ethiopia.
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an idea, let's discuss the story as it's told :)
First question to be asked whether we can answer it or not, was the 'earth' a single continent or several separate continents? I say that has to be a question because God referred to the earth as 'Eden' after creating the earth in the following verse.
Gen 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
So we have (without definition as to geographical location)an area called Eden. To the east (TO THE EASTWARD IN EDEN) God states he planted a garden.
So the story states Eden and the garden OF Eden are two different areas, one being within the other and towards it's eastward area.
Now this next verse contains some crucial information concerning the rivers.
10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
In the above verse, we can assume an unnamed river is running east into the garden of Eden because the garden is EASTWARD in Eden. Unless you wish to establish this unnamed river flowed north from the south-eastern part of Eden to flow north in the garden?
Next there is no way to establish if this unnamed river flowed all the way through the garden and then became four heads or, if this unnamed garden flowed into the garden and in the garden it separated into four other rivers.
These next two verses establish the greater probability that Adam and Eve were removed from the garden to the farther eastern of Eden because of where God states he sets the Cherubims and a flaming sword.
23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
And then we have the account of Cain and which direction he goes from his parents...farther east in eden but away from the garden...
16 And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
If Eden was the earth as a single continent/island this story has an approachable logic as everything is always being set farther and farther east of the garden that is in the eastward part of Eden.
But if we go at it as the earth looks now, most of this stories geographical description is under water.

Branson, MO

#25175 May 5, 2013
osirica wrote:
<quoted text>Racism, silly boy, is not about skin color.

Skin color based racism, stupid Mormon is what YOUR religion codified into a so-called holy book. Taking teaching about a pre-existent life and equating black skin as a punishment in the next.

What is Racism?

Racism has existed throughout human history. It may be defined as the hatred of one person by another -- or the belief that another person is less than human -- because of SKIN COLOR, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person. It has influenced wars, slavery, the formation of nations, and legal codes.

http://archive.adl.org/hate-patrol/racism.asp

Sounds like skin color to me.

Location hidden

#25176 May 5, 2013
Interesting point:

Moses Brother was Aaron, the one whose priesthood the Mormons try to usurp.

Well it is that same priesthood that Mormons teach blacks and Egyptians were denied.

Aaron had a son named Elias... high priest of the Israelites.

Elias had a son named Panehas... high priest of the Israelites.

Now, with Mormons constantly talking about Egyptian and Hebrew and reformed Egyptian.... you know how these were written...

Funny thing happened 3500 years ago...

You see, the Egyptians had high priests around Moses time, who came from Nubia, and these high priests ran the various Amon cults.

These priests were called Panehas, because the Egyptian word FOR Nubian is "Pa-Nehas"... literally "the-Nubian"

So forty years, by that time you got Panehas running the priesthood.

Now riddle me this, what WERE the Hebrews doing when Panehas was in charge of the preisthood?

Oh gee, what was it again

Phineas is commended for having stopped Israel's fall to idolatrous practices brought in by Midianite women, as well as for stopping the desecration of God's sanctuary.

Yea.. Midianites... the same people from which Moses WIFE Tzipporah came from, and the same people from which her FATHER was...

You know her Father the one that taught Moses more about GOD.

Funny thing there...

The Jews never made any prohibitions of descendents of Moses or Phinehas being BANNED from the priesthood.
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
They wondered in the desert for 40 years... Moses was taken before entering the promised land.
What are you saying?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25177 May 5, 2013
osirica wrote:
The BIBLE was not merely written in ENGLISH.
Are you that dullwitted that you sit here and make an argument based on only a fraction of the history of the translation?
And still, that quote below? NOTHING in it implies changes to Genesis 4.
<quoted text>
No... the Church of Rome translated it from Hebrew and Greek to Latin.

And, tried to get rid of all copies of the Bible for people to study.

Thus, they had ultimate power.

Out of fear of what the Church of Rome would do to the people many submitted... however, many were killed who did not recant and submit.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25178 May 5, 2013
osirica wrote:
Goodness,
you can't find one example to support your assumption and accusation that Genesis 4 was altered.
You can't find one example to support your assumption and accusastion that blacks were cursed.
You can't find one example to support your assumption and accusation that the early Hebrews, and Christians treated blacks as an inferior or cursed race.
yet here you are... without a single quoted post. Without a single link or refernce to any actual EVIDENCE...
here you are... yapping away about people, places, names. Like No Surpirse, you can even post a long list of historical facts.
Not one of them however supports this race based skin color crap that YOUR religion teaches.
<quoted text>
You can't find 1 original can you?

The only way to have the ultimate truth of the Bible is the ORIGINAL.

I never said Genesis 4 was altered... I stated the pure and simple truths... from a Historical standpoint.

Location hidden

#25179 May 5, 2013
Oh yea forgot to mention...

yea...

Tzipporah is identified as a Kushite, because in those days... I know you may find this hard to believe...

But in those days, Black Africans weren't magically kept from leaving the continent of Africa and establishing their own colonies in the Levant and Arabia.

I know you feel there's this magic barrier, that when blacks leave Africa, it's either only by chains, or they magically cease to be black...

but no...

The Midianites were a black group of Semites. The Bible says so. But not all of them worshipped God.

Yet they were not identified as being part of any curse... and Moses married one of them.

But anyway, you got Phinehas, a black man, running the priesthood at the most critical time of the priesthood's history.

Just sayin!

Location hidden

#25180 May 5, 2013
No it is not defined as the hatred of one person by another.

Racism is defined clearly as a philosophy that distinguishes people into various groups, based on assumed inherent differences in capability, where certain ability is either viewed as good or bad, and also where various classes of society are established to separate these so called groups (races).

Did you LOOK it up before you posted, or are you just hoping no one else will???
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
What is Racism?
Racism has existed throughout human history. It may be defined as the hatred of one person by another -- or the belief that another person is less than human -- because of SKIN COLOR, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person. It has influenced wars, slavery, the formation of nations, and legal codes.
http://archive.adl.org/hate-patrol/racism.asp
Sounds like skin color to me.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25181 May 5, 2013
osirica wrote:
Racism, silly boy, is not about skin color.
<quoted text>
Racism is hatred.

Location hidden

#25182 May 5, 2013
Really..,.

You're doing what No Surpirse does.

The church of rome translated SOME copies of it from Hebrew.

They didn't translate "it". They didn't take every hebrew scroll on earth, remove the hebrew out of it, then replace it with a greek and latin version.

JEWS DONT EVEN USE LATIN!

And what's so funny is how you say "ultimate" power.

Really... Rome couldn't defeat the Nubian Candaka tribes south of Egypt (every white girl called Candace can basically say she's named after a black negro woman). And we KNOW that Jews had been living south of Egypt since the Babylonian captivity...

You got a whole tribe of jews descendent from Kohen priests living in Mozambique for the past 2500 years.

So what now? You got more to say?

Just throw out a few more Romes stupidly so I can educate the masses in here.

My links (check the Wikipedia references since you hate wikipedia so much).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace

Notice there, you "type" Candace, and Wikipedia links to the Kandaka tribe... HILARIOUS! Wikipedia must be ran by those same Romans that altered Genesis 4!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemba_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phinehas

scroll down to the part about his name.. from the OXFORD GUIDE TO THE BIBLE.

Just keep burying yourself further and further.

More posts please... thank you.
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
No... the Church of Rome translated it from Hebrew and Greek to Latin.
And, tried to get rid of all copies of the Bible for people to study.
Thus, they had ultimate power.
Out of fear of what the Church of Rome would do to the people many submitted... however, many were killed who did not recant and submit.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25183 May 5, 2013
It was not right when people enslaved Blacks.

It was not right when people enslaved Whites.

It was not right when people enslaved Hebrews.

A lot of things in this life are not right in this world.

God never said go to this world and all will be right.
He said Go to this world for progression.
He said go to this world experience trials, endure them well, and overcome them.

This life is not supposed to be fair.

Location hidden

#25184 May 5, 2013
You know what? It just dawned on me.

I've been taking you white Mormons too seriously.

Your arrogance, your impetuousness...

I've over estimated you.

You see, it's clear to me. I'm posting all of this actual historical fact, where it shows clear evidence of black people, black Jews, history of things...

and your minds can't process it. I mean I don't say that every Jew WAS black, but when I show you that some were, your mind goes into overdrive and argue against the notion (which i don't make) that every Jew was black.

It's a defense mechanism... because what you're really doing is trying to deny that the Jews i MENTIONED were black.

Phinehas for instance. High priest. THIRD high priest. Probably was alive when Aaron was given the priesthood...

Me POINTING OUT The lack of evidence on your part about Genesis 4, or ancient Jewish rules against Nubian/Kushite/Black ancestors marrying into the Jewish priesthood...

Me POINTING OUT the absurdity on your part when you truly consider the ramifications... you know Roman soldiers being able to find every Synanguge and rewriting the Genesis out of it... you guys never even THOUGHT of the Jewish side of the Bible before I started... I know this because you kept on about the Catholic this and the Apostasy that, and the English this, and the translation that...

Yea it's clear... You're blindly running away from the truth and with your world shaken by the facts, you INSTINCTIVLY run back to what you know.

What do racist (not all whites are) white people know when they feel their world is threatened?

They run to feeling superior and to finding ways to tear others down and say that they are inferior. You then make the sarcastic comment, talk about how sooooo much more intelligent you are.

But the fact is... You Mormons are really at a loss as to what to do with the evidence I provided.

Phinehas really does it in thoough doesn't he?

Branson, MO

#25185 May 5, 2013
osirica wrote:
<quoted text>No it is not defined as the hatred of one person by another.

Racism is defined clearly as a philosophy that distinguishes people into various groups, based on assumed inherent differences in capability, where certain ability is either viewed as good or bad, and also where various classes of society are established to separate these so called groups (races).

Did you LOOK it up before you posted, or are you just hoping no one else will???
Did you not read the link from the ADL that I provided? Of course there's more to it; however, you said "it is not about skin color." Skin color is most certainly a part of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 min Cheech the Conser... 391,805
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 min Terra Firma 15,052
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Realtime 1,406,393
News Turkey issues warrants for 42 journalists amid ... 8 min progressive 10
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Injudgement 233,705
News A tale of two conventions 14 min Synque 7
News Clinton kicks off swing state tour vowing to cr... 15 min Synque 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Hill4me 219,824
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 27 min barefoot2626 5,763
More from around the web