Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 31,993

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23380 Apr 12, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
ummm... the landmarks and travel time have been addressed... your information is old.
It hasn't been addressed if even the LDS won't endorse it.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#23381 Apr 12, 2013
The ONLY difference between Mormons and Christians.. IS THAT..Mormons MARRY multiple wives to satisfy their Sexual Pleasure and Take care of them. Christians ARE Tempted to CHEAT with Strange women, WHO are ONLY used for Sexual DESIRE and TOSSED aside...So, if you compare the Two religions, I'd SAY that the MORMON beliefs are truer to the Bible teachings... FOR, they do have more than one wife, WHO in turn helps the FIRST wife with Chores, raising the children and can learn from her...

Marysville, CA

#23382 Apr 12, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think about it how could a farm boy with little education write in such parallels in only 90 days?
and, keep everyone's names straight...
and, keep the story line straight...
He didn't.

In Mosiah 21:28 the name of the king has been changed from Benjamin to Mosiah. In the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon we read as follows:

"... king Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings ..." (Book of Mormon, 1830 edition, page 200)

In modern editions of the Book of Mormon this verse has been changed to read:

"... king Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings ..." (Book of Mormon, 1964 edition, Mosiah 21:28)

According to chronology found in the Book of Mormon, king Benjamin should have been dead at this time; therefore, the Mormon Church leaders evidently felt that it was best to change the king's name to Mosiah.
and, keep all the days to travel from landmark to landmark... in an area he had never traveled to, nor read about (because the information was available to him)...
Since no one in the world can show us even one BoM location, you assume he kept them straight

Marysville, CA

#23383 Apr 12, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
The ONLY difference between Mormons and Christians.. IS THAT..Mormons MARRY multiple wives to satisfy their Sexual Pleasure and Take care of them. Christians ARE Tempted to CHEAT with Strange women, WHO are ONLY used for Sexual DESIRE and TOSSED aside...So, if you compare the Two religions, I'd SAY that the MORMON beliefs are truer to the Bible teachings... FOR, they do have more than one wife, WHO in turn helps the FIRST wife with Chores, raising the children and can learn from her...
If it is such a great arrangement, why aren't women doing this more often?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23384 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I quote post ##23289
"Those churches ministers have the same sit down with members for tithing like Mormons do it."
You're still a liar. I didn't call it a tithing settlement and you said I did. That simply makes you a liar.
But it doesn't matter what you call it. Ministers that depend on the almighty dollar to help run their church so people have a church to come to and to be a part of, those regular sunday members that usually get callings for this and that, they have a 'sit down' usually once a year to give the minister an idea of what they'll be pledging/tithing so that minister will have an idea if he'll have enough $ to run the church or not. Not a tough thing to understand.
But you and nomo seem to think Mormons have cornered the market on tithing and as usual you're both simple idiots to actual facts you pathetically ignore.
Try this information on for size and see if you can comprehend it okay? This is about all those people you and nomo claim don't see a minister to discuss how much they'll tithe in a year. This is about all those people you and nomo claim toss a buck oe two into the plate when they think about it...lol...to fricking funny...
http://www.tithing.com/blog/giving-statistics...
“in its 2008 report found 33.4% of estimated total giving,$103.32 billion, went to houses of worship and denominational organizations in 2007&#8243; (source).
“85 percent of all church activity and funds is directed toward the internal operations of the congregation”. Add in another 2% going to overseas missions to support their budget costs.(source)
“”Americans who earn less than $10,000 gave 2.3 percent of their income to religious organizations,” Smith, Emerson, and Snell write,“whereas those who earn $70,000 or more gave only 1.2 percent.” While the actual percentages are slightly higher for Christians who regularly attend church, the pattern is similar. Households of committed Christians making less than $12,500 per year give away roughly 7 percent of their income, a figure no other income bracket beats until incomes rise above $90,000 (they give away 8.8 percent).

In fact, in absolute terms, the poorest Christians give away more dollars than all but the wealthiest Christians.”(source)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23385 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? After my first and only baptism after leaving Mormonism, I have never had a church require that I have to be baptized by them to be a full fledged member. And I have been a full member of 4 churches.
And if you aren't there "to declare Jesus is God", why would you be there anyway?
I have never had one ask me if I was paying a full tithe, never.
So let me understand the inbetween meaning of your post.
You floated from church to church, declaring you're a reborn Christian and no one questioned you about it.
Each of these churches you attended were nomo churches, self sufficient and not in need of tithes to help cover the monthly bills.
And since like nomo, you and she just happened to find nomo self sufficient churches that don't require tithes to help pay the monthly costs of running the church, you two think all other churches are self sufficient nomo churches and none need tithes to pay the monthly bills....frickiong really sadly funny....you two really need to come out of that la-la land you two think everyone lives in with you where all Christian nomo churches exist without tithes.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23386 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeap, he married women who were already married out of the goodness of his heart. Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?
lolol...no, no, no. Stick to your statement that Smith was a horn dog sex perv who, like actual sex pervs thought of sex 24/7 and had as much sex as possible from one day to the next because you claim and have claimed for months, Smith was nothing but a horndog sex perv who'd hump young girls and grannies. And you claim he married over 30 of these females to prove your opinion.
So Smith was a sex perv according to you. He liked them young and old. He was such a perv he liked them young as a daughter and as old as a grandmother.
According to your logic calling him a sex perv, he was hitting 31 wives in three years dozens of times a day as a sex perv would do it. A sex perv likes lots of sex.
But we run into problems because for all the sex he had with 31 women for three straight years we don't have a single solitary love child.
A sex perv doing it a dozen times a day at least would be about 4,380 times in a single year. FOUR THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY TIMES IN A SINGLE YEAR AND NOT A SINGLE LOVE CHILD.
Yet anytime he goes and beds his first wife Emma, she's popping them out like toast from a toaster during their 16 year marriage!
Yet he's bopping 30 other wives 4000 times in a year and can't get a single love child.
Pathetic logic is stupid logic. Stupid logic sticks with the idiot who won't consider actual facts. But you just keep on dude! I'm with you! I'm sure some day one of us will think of some lame way to explain how a total sex perv horn dog that liked 'em young and old, sexing 4000 times a year for three years didn't sire a single child yet, when he'd bed his actual wife she'd be popping kids out left and right for 16 years.
I'm sure we'll find a way to explain this away don't you think? Got any clues?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23387 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
This is Mormonism repeating history, first with polygamy, then with blacks and the priesthood, now the issue of gay marriage. Yes, when the Lords people have their backs against the wall, they buckle. LOL!!!!
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/p...
Polygamy was decided by SCOTUS to be a crime. The church leaders had a decision to continue polygamy and go to jail and let the church come to an end or, follow the law of the land and exist.
The church leaders decided the ban should be lifted. Doesn't matter why the ban was lifted. It wasn't a criminal point. The leaders could have continued the ban to this day is the fact.
Same sex marriage will never be equated with opposite sex marriage in this church. The acceptance of people regardless of who or what they are is a step in a good direction of loving one's neighbour. But these church leaders will never allow same sex marriages in this church. They may step back of the civil law aspect, but they'll never allow same sex marriages in this church. To do that they would have to rewrite their entire church doctrine that is based on a man and a woman and their family.
So though Mother Jones declares the Mormon Church Abandons Its Crusade Against Gay Marriage, it hasn't. It will continue to fight same sex marriages at the polls at voting times as it always has. And you're an actually defined idiot to think they won't as Jones supposes pathetically.

Marysville, CA

#23388 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still a liar. I didn't call it a tithing settlement and you said I did. That simply makes you a liar.
Well, when Mormons have "a sit down to talk about tithing" it is called "tithing settlement."
Idiot.

Marysville, CA

#23389 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy was decided by SCOTUS to be a crime. The church leaders had a decision to continue polygamy and go to jail and let the church come to an end or, follow the law of the land and exist.
The church leaders decided the ban should be lifted. Doesn't matter why the ban was lifted. It wasn't a criminal point. The leaders could have continued the ban to this day is the fact.
Same sex marriage will never be equated with opposite sex marriage in this church. The acceptance of people regardless of who or what they are is a step in a good direction of loving one's neighbour. But these church leaders will never allow same sex marriages in this church. They may step back of the civil law aspect, but they'll never allow same sex marriages in this church. To do that they would have to rewrite their entire church doctrine that is based on a man and a woman and their family.
So though Mother Jones declares the Mormon Church Abandons Its Crusade Against Gay Marriage, it hasn't. It will continue to fight same sex marriages at the polls at voting times as it always has. And you're an actually defined idiot to think they won't as Jones supposes pathetically.
Time will tell who the idiot is.

Marysville, CA

#23390 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
But it doesn't matter what you call it. Ministers that depend on the almighty dollar to help run their church so people have a church to come to and to be a part of, those regular sunday members that usually get callings for this and that, they have a 'sit down' usually once a year to give the minister an idea of what they'll be pledging/tithing so that minister will have an idea if he'll have enough $ to run the church or not. Not a tough thing to understand.
But you and nomo seem to think Mormons have cornered the market on tithing and as usual you're both simple idiots to actual facts you pathetically ignore.
Try this information on for size and see if you can comprehend it okay? This is about all those people you and nomo claim don't see a minister to discuss how much they'll tithe in a year. This is about all those people you and nomo claim toss a buck oe two into the plate when they think about it...lol...to fricking funny...
http://www.tithing.com/blog/giving-statistics...
“in its 2008 report found 33.4% of estimated total giving,$103.32 billion, went to houses of worship and denominational organizations in 2007&#8243; (source).
“85 percent of all church activity and funds is directed toward the internal operations of the congregation”. Add in another 2% going to overseas missions to support their budget costs.(source)
“”Americans who earn less than $10,000 gave 2.3 percent of their income to religious organizations,” Smith, Emerson, and Snell write,“whereas those who earn $70,000 or more gave only 1.2 percent.” While the actual percentages are slightly higher for Christians who regularly attend church, the pattern is similar. Households of committed Christians making less than $12,500 per year give away roughly 7 percent of their income, a figure no other income bracket beats until incomes rise above $90,000 (they give away 8.8 percent).
In fact, in absolute terms, the poorest Christians give away more dollars than all but the wealthiest Christians.”(source)
You're debating BS. I never said the churches don't collect tithe, I said they don't have tithing settlements. You're the one that said they do. You.

Marysville, CA

#23391 Apr 12, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me understand the inbetween meaning of your post.
You floated from church to church, declaring you're a reborn Christian and no one questioned you about it.
No, worthless, I moved from one location far from another 4 times, requiring me to find a new church each time. The only thing that floats is you cockamamie excuses for posts.
Each of these churches you attended were nomo churches, self sufficient and not in need of tithes to help cover the monthly bills.
Never said that. Again you try to change the topic, which usual when you stick foot in mouth.
And since like nomo, you and she just happened to find nomo self sufficient churches that don't require tithes to help pay the monthly costs of running the church, you two think all other churches are self sufficient nomo churches and none need tithes to pay the monthly bills....frickiong really sadly funny....you two really need to come out of that la-la land you two think everyone lives in with you where all Christian nomo churches exist without tithes.
And you need to stop being a 5 yr old throwing hissy fits when you are caught being stupid. I've been talking about tithing settlement. You've been talking crap.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#23392 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing a culture and building pyramids are two different animals. I know about Noah's ark but you don't see me building boats in my back yard.
You were not instructed to do so by God ...
You do not have the knowledge God gave Noah to build the Ark...
It would be difficult for you to do it with out God's assistance.

If you come up with an Ark all on your own in the shape and form of Noah's Ark I would like to see it.

Good luck with that!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23393 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to debate that the Hill Cumorah isn't the same Hill Cumorah of the BoM, I say, great!
That just means you can't point on the map even one location mentioned in the BoM. Not one.
More proof that it is a work of fiction. There is a reason you don't see any maps in the BoM.
I have told you already the landmarks have been determined to exist. It is your problem you won't listen.

What did Jesus say when he was speaking:

John 3:12
12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

John 5:47
47 But if ye believe not his awritings, how shall ye believe my words?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23394 Apr 12, 2013
Then what happened?

They crucified Jesus because he taught the truth...

that is if you believe in the Bible... which you won't say if you do or not. You just keep going back to anti-Mormonism sites and copy pasting what they say.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23395 Apr 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Chiasmus ...
I asked you how a farm boy with little education could write such in depth scripture with out Guidance... and with the Hebrew "chiasmas" parallel culture in 90 days.

Could you do it?

Are you smarter than Joseph Smith? Do you have more education than him? Could you do what he did?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23396 Apr 12, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
I agree with you that in the Biblical times they were instructed to have multiple wives, the same as in the brief time that the Mormons did in the mid 1800's.

However, I disagree for the reasoning. To my knowledge not all men were allowed to marry more than one wife for what reason is unknown to me.

And, I agree that the wife's all helped with the Chores, and raising children... I can not even imagine having a family of say 5 out in the wilderness alone, and having to carry water, cook, clean, plant food with no plows... omg doing that and more with just one mom would be impossible.

Thank you for your input.

Oh, Mormon's do not practice polygamy any longer.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23397 Apr 12, 2013
Malachi 3:1
"Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts."

This prophecy was fulfilled on April 3, 1836 in the Kirtland, Ohio. Joseph is the "messenger", who had prepared the way for the Lord through the restoration of all things. The Lord, Jesus Christ, did indeed come suddenly to His temple in Kirtland, Ohio, appearing to the prophet, Joseph, and to Sydney Rigdon. During that same experience Moses and Elijah appeared to them also and conferred the keys for missionary and temple work.

Ezekiel 37:16-20
"Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions: And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand. And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these? Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand. And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes."

This is a reference to the Book of Mormon and the Bible being companion books that compliment each other. The Book of Mormon is a true volume of scripture, prophesied in the Bible, and brought forth by God. Since the Book of Mormon is the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy then Joseph Smith is indeed a Prophet of God.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23398 Apr 12, 2013
1 Corinthians 15:40-41
"There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon,
and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory."

Explain what that celestial, terrestrial, and terrestrial bodies are?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23399 Apr 12, 2013
The Bible also testifies of Jospeh Smith,
Isaiah 29:11-12
Malachi 3:1
Ezekiel 37:16-20

YOU can't fraudulantly deny the artifacts... the evidence in Meso-America...

So you never address it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_pyramid

DENY THAT... LOOK AT THE SIMULARITIES IN THE STEPS OF THE PYRAMIDS...

https://www.google.com/search ...

hmmm...

YOU CAN'T Snap your fingers and make them disappear...

ADDRESS the facts...

ADDRESS the scriptures testifying of Joseph Smith...

ADDRESS the artifacts in found today...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McCain gives thumbs up to 'American Sniper' movie 3 min Lawrence Wolf 6
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 3 min DRSA solved 57,044
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques Ottawa 183,727
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min DanFromSmithville 141,859
At Koch summit, Rand Paul splits with Cruz, Rubio 5 min Lawrence Wolf 19
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min red and right 304,447
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min liberal thinking 168,082
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min End is Not Yet 307,883
Netanyahu visit continues to stir emotion 1 hr Barack the Yellow 46
More from around the web