Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223358 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100547 Oct 4, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I never stated there was a Biblical flood or when or how. You're the looney to continue to think I have said such things when I haven't.
Right, so you've never claimed there was a Biblical global flood, but you've vehemently chastised us for rejecting the possibility despite the complete and total lack of evidence and mounds of evidence against it. So your whole point here is that it MIGHT be true.

Because invisible Jewish magic MIGHT be true.

Same as the Cosmic Sheep.

Big whoop.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100548 Oct 4, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
You on the other hand have continually stated what you believe never can happen or never would happen and that is your narrow, shallow restrictive opinion.
It's my shallow narrow restrictive opinion that a 40 stone fat guy is not gonna pass through a six inch gap between two house size blocks of solid metal. At least not intact.

See that's the problem here NS, is that sometimes reality CAN be somewhat restrictive towards myths and fantasies.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100549 Oct 4, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Doofus? lol...fricking to funny states the doofus who believes theories never become fact. Are you pathetically ignorant? It was a theory that disagreed with a more popular theory that proved and became a fact that the earth rotated around the sun and not viceversa. Theories were the basis of all established facts. Theories where probable/provable became/become an established fact in science.
If your logic is correct(which it isn't)that theories NEVER become fact, than it's still an unproven theory that the sun is the center of our solar system.
If your logic is correct(which it isn't)that theories NEVER become fact, than it's still an unproven theory that gravity holds us to this earth.
Should I continue with your logic? Hmm?
Are you seriously saying theories get proven? Seriously?

And just a minute ago you were talking about the potential for falsifiability. What happened to that?

Have you never just considered that you're just in way over your head?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100550 Oct 4, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times has "the evidence" in any and everything been wrong?
Probably every one of your posts.

Problem?(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100551 Oct 4, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text> Go run you COWARD!
Again this tool can't back up the BS they try to pedal here.
You don't know chit!!!
What do you know?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100552 Oct 4, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
OMG!! CHISEL Away..Folks!!
YO OLD GEEZERS!!
Why are ya STILL Persuing THIS Dead-Beat Subject???
Go away then.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100553 Oct 4, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text> Before I point why your calculations are not based on facts and simple assumptions, let me ask you this...
Do you claim that the amount of water in, on or around the Earth is a constant?
Yes, they are based on the assumptions of observable reality. However since you dispute reality then it's YOUR job to provide POSITIVE evidence of the extra water you require for YOUR claim that a global flood occurred. We don't have to disprove what you cannot demonstrate. We on the other hand have already explained the numerous multiple (and quite fatal) reasons why the flood could not have happened. You on the other hand are running around shouting "Yeah well what if there's something you don't know about?!?" In which case it's YOUR job to tell us what it is that you know that we don't that supports the possibility of a global flood. So far you have not been able to do that.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100554 Oct 4, 2013
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo wrote:
Creation is just a silly myth.
Learn what well known atheist Sam Harris has to say about Buddhism.
Still don't care about your BS spam.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100555 Oct 4, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
First, I am not trying to insult your intelligence, I am straight out questioning it!!!
Second, I have not invoked any God or deity. Fail!
Oh right.

That's why just a couple of posts ago you were poking fun at atheists.(shrug)
EXPERT wrote:
I did not expect you would be willing to commit to that definition,
So to be clear, you claim that DNA carries (genetic information), right?
More accurately DNA *IS* information. Or further even more accurately, DNA is the combination of chemicals which controls our biological development. Information itself is an abstract concept which is post-facto applied to existing phenomena by intelligent agents to help them describe said phenomena.
spOko

Oakland, CA

#100556 Oct 4, 2013
The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background)
http://nautil.us/issue/6/secret-codes/beyond-...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100557 Oct 4, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
First, how was the dating done? What was dated, the cave or the fossils?
Next, what EVIDENCE would you expect to see if there was no flood? We would find all kinds of transitional fossils all over the place, but guess what? NO SUCH EVIDENCE EXISTS.
Oh, I see. You're a reality denier. I'm shocked I say.

Further more a reality denier who claims that evolution is incompatible with a global flood. Which as we've already seen is deliciously ironic.

So lemme guess - you're not only a creationist but a creationist of the Abrahamic variety, yes?
spOko

Oakland, CA

#100558 Oct 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
As I perceive it,the logic is:
Water exists in aquifers, and a torrent of accumulated glacial melt caused the scablands, therefore you can NEVER use absolute terms in science and it is ALWAYS possible that Noah saved opossums, pandas and wallabys.
Noah also made a hell of a good bagel :-)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100559 Oct 4, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't want to address the dating Issue, figures.
Since there are so many, this should be an easy one for you.
So you claim the first fossil was a transitional fossil?
And how many transitions did the sea horse go thru to it's current state?
Around 3.5 to 3.8 billion years. How many transitions did you go through from when you were conceived to your current state?

If you tell me your age you will have given me the correct answer.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#100560 Oct 4, 2013
SCOUSE71UK wrote:
You are not telling me the truth, you are simply telling me what you believe and as there is no irrefutable evidence, you are the clueless believer acting on faith.
I don't believe in creationism, Darwinism or the big bang theory because unlike yourself I am not a clueless believer. All three are theories based on facts or whatever you want to call them gathered by others and ,unless I can substantiate them myself which I can't, so I treat them with scepticism and refuse to claim any of them are true.
I see. Therefore if you personally cannot verify something yourself then they are not true.

For instance if I were to tell you I was human then that is not true. If I was to tell you that I was a denizen of planet Earth then that is not true. But if I was to tell you that I was an alien then that also isn't true. It seems your brand of nihilism leads you to contradictions. It also means that evidence does not matter.
SCOUSE71UK wrote:
The fact is nobody can say with 100% certainty that their theory on how life began or progressed is true.
And science never makes that claim. That is because science makes use of the concept of falsifiability, which is then used to make successful predictions.
SCOUSE71UK wrote:
They can claim there is more chance of their theory being correct and present an argument to claim it is, but someone can then present an argument to say there is more chance of their theory being true.
And that is why science makes use of evidence. Whichever position has more evidence that is more likely to be correct. Those positions may change later as and when more evidence is discovered. For instance plate tectonics was not taken very seriously at first but eventually the evidence won out. That may or may not change again later, pending future discoveries.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#100561 Oct 4, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I really doubt that there was ever a time when the whole earth was covered in water. I have never seen the slightest bit of evidence for it. I know pretty much beyond doubt that the Noachian flood never happened....most of the Old Testament didn't happen.
Excluding snowball Earth
That maybe correct, In fact I'm beginning to think that is the case. But the traditionalists of geological thinking , surmised the Earth was hotter in the beginning, and this heat kept the surface plastic enough from the heavy bombardment and atomic decay to keep the surface flat allowing the iron catastrophe.

Until it cooled enough for water to condense from vapor into a huge shallow sea, from which the first land emerged. But this maybe not as accurate as thought. Because...

What we also have here is conflicting evidence as to when the oceans first appeared, these rock formations in Canada at least part of them could predate the oceans. Then the oceans formed covering them then the pillow lava and granite forced up the first true continents built up from the Vulcan forces.

It could also be that the Earth was never entirely covered with water, at least at the same time. There may have been the super-continent rose and fell, but never completely submerged entirely. Which would really bust a global flood idea. But the one thing that is evident here is that primitive life, water and the continents sprang up together on the early Earth between 3.5 - 4.4 billion years ago.

http://www.arctic.uoguelph.ca/cpe/arcticnews/...

It's starting to look to me as if there were rising and falling of the continental crusts to a greater degree than once thought.
Scary thought that under us are forces that can change the entire world around us so dramatically, in a skinny.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#100563 Oct 4, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Creation is a silly myth?
But a lava covered world cooled by water creates an ocean where life pops out? Ha,Ha,Ha. Must have been the life giving lava rock!
Talk about silly myths.
Yes, it is amazing the difference that evidence makes.

Too bad that you don't have any for your silly myths.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#100564 Oct 4, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Creation is a silly myth?
But a lava covered world cooled by water creates an ocean where life pops out? Ha,Ha,Ha. Must have been the life giving lava rock!
Talk about silly myths.
no, the creation stories given so far are proven myths...

Since: Sep 13

UK

#100565 Oct 5, 2013
The Dude:-
"I see. Therefore if you personally cannot verify something yourself then they are not true.
For instance if I were to tell you I was human then that is not true. If I was to tell you that I was a denizen of planet Earth then that is not true. But if I was to tell you that I was an alien then that also isn't true. It seems your brand of nihilism leads you to contradictions. It also means that evidence does not matter.
<quoted text>
And science never makes that claim. That is because science makes use of the concept of falsifiability, which is then used to make successful predictions.

And that is why science makes use of evidence. Whichever position has more evidence that is more likely to be correct. Those positions may change later as and when more evidence is discovered. For instance plate tectonics was not taken very seriously at first but eventually the evidence won out. That may or may not change again later, pending future discoveries."
I would first of all like to thank you for your comments, because they show better than I ever could the sort of person I am talking about. I am talking about the sort of person who takes the evidence or facts and then use it to support their argument or what they wish to believe.
I know what I posted but before responding to your comments I read it again to make sure of my facts before responding to your comments.
"I see. Therefore if you personally cannot verify something yourself then they are not true.
For instance if I were to tell you I was human then that is not true. If I was to tell you that I was a denizen of planet Earth then that is not true. But if I was to tell you that I was an alien then that also isn't true. It seems your brand of nihilism leads you to contradictions. It also means that evidence does not matter."
It is clear from the above comments that evidence and truth do not matter to you.
Creationism, Darwinism and the big bang theory. Can you point out to me where in my post and which theory I claim is untrue? The fact is I don't! What I state is that I am not prepared to claim either is true! It is what is called reserving judgement and if a piece of evidence arises that proves beyond doubt that one of the theories is true then and only then would I be prepared to claim either theory is true.
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"
It is a statement used to describe exactly what I am saying mostly used to describe the use of numbers, but not solely numbers, to support an argument and make it seem like there is more evidence to support an argument than there is. It is your way of thinking therefore that leads to contradictions and not mine.
My argument is the only one that is true and beyond doubt, because I have simply stated that "nobody can be certain that their theory is true."
I mentioned experts in court and it has been proven that they have ignored evidence that disproves their theory in order to strengthen their argument. Which is why I treat all evidence with scepticism unless I can prove it myself.
You refer to aliens which once again proves my point. I can go to another country and tell them I can prove that I am an alien. All I need to do then is show them my birth certificate which states I was born in Liverpool. After all I didn't say I was an extra terrestrial alien. Misleading but after all not untrue.
Some people from Birkenhead sound like Scousers, but they aren't Scouse, yet some people believe they are. A Scouser is someone born and bred, like me, in Liverpool. The fact is with any argument we can only take the evidence put in front of us and decide how much weight we attach to it. I hear a Scouse accent I dont automatically assume they are from Liverpool and yet others do. I am never wrong because I don't claim they are or aren't Scouse, but those who make claims that they are have a 50/50 chance of being wrong because they have attached to much weight to the evidence.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#100566 Oct 5, 2013
spOko wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah also made a hell of a good bagel :-)
Nah, the only thing he could cook was pine tar. He stole the credit for bagels from his chattel, Emzara.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#100567 Oct 5, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously saying theories get proven? Seriously?
And just a minute ago you were talking about the potential for falsifiability. What happened to that?
Have you never just considered that you're just in way over your head?
BINGO!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min NICK 80,682
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Teaman 1,761,882
News US judge refuses to dismiss ex-Trump aide Paul ... 7 min Trump suckers 164
News 'It's about time': President Trump pardons late... 8 min inbred Genius 67
News Trump presses for action as House GOP struggles... 9 min Raydot 44
News President Trump proposing billions in spending ... 11 min Stormy Abandonment 191
News International NewsTrump Cancels Summit, Citing ... 15 min Kilroy 6
News Barack and Michelle Obama sign Netflix deal to ... 1 hr Draft dodger 179
News Donald Trump calls unauthorized immigrants 'ani... 2 hr fish and poi 365