Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 164488 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“If It Is Possible”

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#96371 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Light comes in a wide range of frequencies. From radio waves to gamma rays. They are all light.
The spectrum is the relative intensity of these different frequencies. For example Green light of a particular frequency may be twice as bright as the Red light of a particular frequency and Blue light of a particular frequency may be 75% of the brightness of the Green. By observing the frequency we can tell the temperature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radi...
"Black-body radiation has a characteristic, continuous frequency spectrum that depends only on the body's temperature,[7] called the Planck spectrum or Planck's law. The spectrum is peaked at a characteristic frequency that shifts to higher frequencies with increasing temperature, and at room temperature most of the emission is in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum.[8][9][10] As the temperature increases past about 500 degrees Celsius, black bodies start to emit significant amounts of visible light. Viewed in the dark, the first faint glow appears as a "ghostly" grey. With rising temperature, the glow becomes visible even when there is some background surrounding light: first as a dull red, then yellow, and eventually a "dazzling bluish-white" as the temperature rises.[11][12] When the body appears white, it is emitting a substantial fraction of its energy as ultraviolet radiation. The Sun, with an effective temperature of approximately 5800 K,[13] is an approximately black body with an emission spectrum peaked in the central, yellow-green part of the visible spectrum, but with significant power in the ultraviolet as well.
Black-body radiation provides insight into the thermodynamic equilibrium state of cavity radiation. If each Fourier mode of the equilibrium radiation in an otherwise empty cavity with perfectly reflective walls is considered as a degree of freedom capable of exchanging energy, then, according to the equipartition theorem of classical physics, there would be an equal amount of energy in each mode. Since there are an infinite number of modes this implies infinite heat capacity (infinite energy at any non-zero temperature), as well as an unphysical spectrum of emitted radiation that grows without bound with increasing frequency, a problem known as the ultraviolet catastrophe. Instead, in quantum theory the occupation numbers of the modes are quantized, cutting off the spectrum at high frequency in agreement with experimental observation and resolving the catastrophe. The study of the laws of black bodies and the failure of classical physics to describe them helped establish the foundations of quantum mechanics."
If you keep reading down it even give you the formula used for deriving temperature:
Lambda max = b/T
Where Lambda max is the wavelength of the light with the highest intensity. b is a constant and T is the absolute temperature.
Yes I have read up on things like that. Like Blue light will scatter where red and yellow light won't thus many think that is why our sky is blue or something like that.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#96372 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason that evolution, that can't be proven bothers me, is because it take people away from God.
The majority of people that believe in evolution become atheist.
We don't need more people perishing than we already have.
People need help and Godly information, not something that's going to pull them away from Him.
Tell me, what good does it do people to believe that they came from fish or apes when no one on earth can prove it, but if they believe your 'gods'(scientist) and they lose their salvation, what good does that do you?
Why do you wish for people to perish, is the question I have for you?
Okay, if you are going to participate in a scientific debate you should really learn the correct language. A theory is never "proved" it is accepted. If a theory is well accepted that means most scientists think that it is fairly correct. Evolution is an extremely well accepted theory will scientists who are experts on the topic accepting it at over 99%. That is about as close to being declared "proved" as possible.

Now why do you think it takes people "away from God"?

If we were being taught a myth that is not true shouldn't we learn the truth regardless if it takes us away from God or not. If God is real evolution cannot harm him. If he is not real, don't you want to know it?

Evolution only shows that the book of Genesis is a myth. It does not prove the nonexistence of God, nor does it try to do so.

Everett, WA

#96373 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think the question we are hearing is what he actually asked Gail Kennedy, based on her answer. Her answer seems to be to a different question.
Yes, that is what I tried to say. He has been caught doing this in his own videos in the past. Does anyone doubt that he would lie this way again?

Everett, WA

#96374 Aug 7, 2013
Next lie. at 4:55 he asks a chemistry major if he knew of any proof for evolution.

Chemistry majors usually do not study much biology. He lied by treating this student as if he were an authority.

Everett, WA

#96375 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have read up on things like that. Like Blue light will scatter where red and yellow light won't thus many think that is why our sky is blue or something like that.
Yes, the scattering takes place once the light hits our atmosphere. That does not concern us yet. What is important is that there are different frequencies of light and those frequencies have different relative strengths.

Everett, WA

#96376 Aug 7, 2013
Next lie, a young lady who does not understand homology is used as an expert. She gave a bad example.

Everett, WA

#96377 Aug 7, 2013
So much dishonesty. About 5:20 an uninformed opinion by a geology student is used. I am sure this goes on and on. Statements of evidence by uninformed people cannot be used for or against an argument. All you can do is to point out that these people are uninformed.

Everett, WA

#96378 Aug 7, 2013
And of course Ray continues to lie by calling evolution a "change of kinds". Since he cannot define "Kinds" correctly it is find to say that evolution never claims a change of kinds.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#96379 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is what I tried to say. He has been caught doing this in his own videos in the past. Does anyone doubt that he would lie this way again?
It is pretty obvious when the voice of the narrator ask for an example of evolution and she responds with something like "between six and seven million years ago." Wonder what the real question was.

“If It Is Possible”

It Will Likely Happen

#96380 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the scattering takes place once the light hits our atmosphere. That does not concern us yet. What is important is that there are different frequencies of light and those frequencies have different relative strengths.
You want to read something really weird? It just bugs me to no end though it has nothing to do with evolution but it makes me wonder all the time.

Everett, WA

#96381 Aug 7, 2013
And again, Comfort calls evolution a change of kinds @ 5:35. The reason that this is a lie is that he has debated this topic many times and he has been corrected. Once you know better if you continue to use an incorrect term that is a lie.

Everett, WA

#96382 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>It is pretty obvious when the voice of the narrator ask for an example of evolution and she responds with something like "between six and seven million years ago." Wonder what the real question was.
Yep, a dead give away.

Everett, WA

#96383 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to read something really weird? It just bugs me to no end though it has nothing to do with evolution but it makes me wonder all the time.
What?

Everett, WA

#96384 Aug 7, 2013
And again, at 6;25 after being given an example of evolution he is back to his "change of kinds" lie.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#96385 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason that evolution, that can't be proven bothers me, is because it take people away from God.
The majority of people that believe in evolution become atheist.
We don't need more people perishing than we already have.
People need help and Godly information, not something that's going to pull them away from Him.
Tell me, what good does it do people to believe that they came from fish or apes when no one on earth can prove it, but if they believe your 'gods'(scientist) and they lose their salvation, what good does that do you?
Why do you wish for people to perish, is the question I have for you?
Nothing in science can be proven in the sense you mean as an absolute. Yet you still use the computer, drive a car, eat food produced through modern science. Evolution is the best scientific answer to the evidence of the development and diversity of life that we have. It explains and predicts and provides the basis of modern biology. The same biology that drives medicine, agriculture, and conservation among other endeavors.

It doesn't drive people from God. It doesn't cause atheism. It is being taught in high schools, colleges and universities all across this country. Where are the throngs of atheists that you claim are being generated?

So you are saying that our best understanding of the facts should be concealed so that your view of religion can be the only one supplied to people? Only doing this can save them? If a person has a question about the biblical flood, the answer should be that they just accept the flood as real even though there is no evidence for it? How is that honest? How is that praising God? Are you saying your version of Christianity is so weak that you have to hide from facts?

Everett, WA

#96386 Aug 7, 2013
At 6:38 he asks an unidentified student how long something would take, he estimated a couple of million years, and then Ray asked "How is that observable" the student said "its not". Then the cutaway. We don't know if he finished or not. He could have pointed out that it may be observable in the fossil record. He could have pointed out that it may be observable in DNA. At any rate another bit of dishonesty by Ray.

“If It Is Possible”

It Will Likely Happen

#96387 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Ok now you can call me weird but,,,,,,,,
For the last 19 years I can be doing anything. Working, playing, fishing, hunting, you name it and I can look at a clock out of the blue, for no reason and I see 11:11 or 1:11 at least two-three times just about every day. I am thinking what the hell! Now if that is not weird enough for ya here is more. I have woke up many times for no reason and it will be 1:11 am. My birthdate year and day =11 plus month, day and last digit of year =11. I used to live at 111 --- street. I worked at a place for 9 years after 2 years of training(9+2=11) which address happened to be 1111 ------ Ave. When I lost my 2 fingers, yep that date happened to be the 11th day in Nov or 11/11. My Mom was born 10-1-38 now 10+1=11, 3+8=11, She died 1/2010(1+10=11). My oldest daughter was born 5/24 add em up =11. My youngest daughter was born 5/27 which =14 but 3 years later so minus the 3 years between her sister = 11 and minus the 3 days between her sister =11. My ex-wife was born 9/2 add em up =11. Had surgery on my knee 8/3/11 (8+3=11 plus 11 in the year). In my family there were 5 boys and 4 girls plus 2 parents = 11. There are more that I could factor in there but you get the picture lol. Too many 1ís and/or 11ís are starting to bug me lol.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96388 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing in science can be proven in the sense you mean as an absolute. Yet you still use the computer, drive a car, eat food produced through modern science. Evolution is the best scientific answer to the evidence of the development and diversity of life that we have. It explains and predicts and provides the basis of modern biology. The same biology that drives medicine, agriculture, and conservation among other endeavors.
It doesn't drive people from God. It doesn't cause atheism. It is being taught in high schools, colleges and universities all across this country. Where are the throngs of atheists that you claim are being generated?
So you are saying that our best understanding of the facts should be concealed so that your view of religion can be the only one supplied to people? Only doing this can save them? If a person has a question about the biblical flood, the answer should be that they just accept the flood as real even though there is no evidence for it? How is that honest? How is that praising God? Are you saying your version of Christianity is so weak that you have to hide from facts?
but there are no facts that fish and apes became humans

Everett, WA

#96389 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok now you can call me weird but,,,,,,,,
For the last 19 years I can be doing anything. Working, playing, fishing, hunting, you name it and I can look at a clock out of the blue, for no reason and I see 11:11 or 1:11 at least two-three times just about every day. I am thinking what the hell! Now if that is not weird enough for ya here is more. I have woke up many times for no reason and it will be 1:11 am. My birthdate year and day =11 plus month, day and last digit of year =11. I used to live at 111 --- street. I worked at a place for 9 years after 2 years of training(9+2=11) which address happened to be 1111 ------ Ave. When I lost my 2 fingers, yep that date happened to be the 11th day in Nov or 11/11. My Mom was born 10-1-38 now 10+1=11, 3+8=11, She died 1/2010(1+10=11). My oldest daughter was born 5/24 add em up =11. My youngest daughter was born 5/27 which =14 but 3 years later so minus the 3 years between her sister = 11 and minus the 3 days between her sister =11. My ex-wife was born 9/2 add em up =11. Had surgery on my knee 8/3/11 (8+3=11 plus 11 in the year). In my family there were 5 boys and 4 girls plus 2 parents = 11. There are more that I could factor in there but you get the picture lol. Too many 1ís and/or 11ís are starting to bug me lol.
A lot of that is what is called confirmation bias. On the dates adding up to 11. There are many dates that don't add up to 11 no matter how you manipulate the numbers. Please note that you manipulated the numbers several different ways to get the 11's.

So it may seem weird, but I would not put too much stock into it.

Everett, WA

#96390 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
but there are no facts that fish and apes became humans
What do you mean by that statement?

It does not really make sense.

Now there is plenty of evidence that we are the ultimate descendants of certain fish. If you get enough evidence to support an idea sooner or later you call that idea a fact. That is why so many scientists talk about the fact of evolution.

The idea that something will fall is just a theory too. If someone held a hammer over your head and threatened to drop it would you tell him "that is only a theory"? Sooner or later the evidence that supports a theory gets so strong that people treat it as a fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 5 min Land O 10001 Lakes 59,816
News Inland Reps Take Divergent Positions on Immigra... 6 min In-bred Empire 2
News Ireland same-sex marriage 7 min Josh 407
News Protesters gather at Phoenix mosque under close... 7 min Cat74 13
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 8 min Hue 1,434
News Refurbished rail cars finally roll on PATCO 8 min Marvin 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min TSM 1,234,947
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min - Lady Liberty - 328,810
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 29 min woodtick57 182,941
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr woodtick57 190,417
More from around the web