Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221197 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88217 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, they are based on verifiable, reproduceable evidence.
your bible on the other hand, is full of mostly inaccurate statements, as you have been shown, but cannot accept as truth.
denying facts in front of your face is not a healthy mindset. it is a clear sign of cult indoctrination.
Okay - then show me some of that ""verifiable, reproduceable, evidence".

I just want to see one example of proof that humans evolved from anything other than God.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88218 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is just my point - there are millions of people who "claim" to be Christians but do so in name only.
Yes, and we are quite pointedly certain that YOU are one of these people, all of your priggish self-righteousness aside.
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Mankind, in his ever present power hunger, always wants to be better than the other one - richer than the other one - more famous than the other one --- so he began creating all of these 'religions'- to set his group apart from the "others" -for the purpose of vanity, greed and power.
And your particular brand of late-blooming 19th century Christian heresy known as Protestant fundamentalist Christianity is a PRIME EXAMPLE of this.

You seem to be saying that you don't have a religion, you have a relationship, but this is nothing other than a tawdry, easily-refuted bit of self-serving religious dogma put forward by the leaders of your fundamentalist Christian RELIGION.

In fact, every point you have made in your mawkish fundamentalist proselytizing in the past two days is a theological clichť put forward by the leaders of your non-denom Protestant Christianity.

THAT is your religion. And any claim that you do not follow a religion is specious nonsense.
ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88219 Apr 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion means nothing.
<quoted text>
First thing you misunderstand
<quoted text>
Second mistake. The rosary is not an idol.
<quoted text>
Paraphrasing! So now you're an expert on decoding the word of god. Congratulations on your promotion from doofus.
<quoted text>
Nor does the RCC calim she is.
<quoted text>
WTF?
<quoted text>
Yeah, you will. Including where you got that tidbit.
<quoted text>
I disagree. It is the arrogant fundamentalists who think they are better than everyone else and are in a position to judge all. It is you and your ilk that is disgusting.
You appear to be, like most atheists, only looking for an argument - not a debate, nor the truth. The Bible says not to argue with "fools" - therefore, I won't allow you to engage me into your argument.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88220 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us see your claim.
humans didn't come from adam and eve. proven fact.

animals species keep popping up in the history of the earth, they were not all created at once by your cult's god.

your cult lied to you...again...
KJV

United States

#88221 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, the truth. why can you not provide this proof if it is such an old lie?

your cult lied to you....again...
Your assignment Jim, should you decide to except it is to look up the meaning of the following words so you can start using them correctly.

Fact
Proof
Proven
Lie
Truth
Cult

This posting will self destruct in 5 seconds........ Humm .... Ah come on destruct already ......

Well maybe not......

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#88222 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to re-research the flood - just sayin'......
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-...
Or you might want to watch a video by a real geologist that makes mincemeat of that nonsense:

KJV

United States

#88223 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Poor KJV, another idiot for Jesus. Most people can be educated. Some people cannot be. They keep themselves willfully ignorant.
Yes the Bible talks about people being willing ignorant. You know people like you.

St. Croix valley

#88224 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to see one example of proof that humans evolved from anything other than God.
how about the clear fossil record of primates moving from more apelike to more human like on our families' branch of evolution.

one missing link after the other. you can actually look at the fossils online if you like...even other species of hominids that we interbred with that you god didn't even mention creating..how does that work?

of course, you god is a proven myth, and there is no evidence for any non-mythical god, gods, or goddesses ever. not one shred.
ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88225 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>I have, it never happened in human times, or anywhere near humans times on Earth. proven fact.
your dippy sites trying to prove the bible correct have all been gone through.
proven fact, your cult lied to you.. again...
And you, as well, Woodtick, aren't looking for answers or the truth - just an argument.
I just can't figure out why non believers are so angry all the time - always using the same old spin words, i.e. lie, myth, prove it, and others.
But then I remember how satan is wasting no time in seeking to devour the souls that allow him to.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88226 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Orthologous Endogenous Retroviruses (ERVs)

BIologists tells us that ancient viruses left a marker in the host animal's cells. If it HAPPENED to leave this retroviral maker in a SPERM cell, then that ERV marker was passed down to EVERY SUBSEQUENT descendant and is clearly visible in the species' genome.

Now the question is "Why do humans share approximately 200,000 different ERV markers with chimps, slightly less than that with gorillas, and again slightly less with orangutans. Why are these retroviral markers in EXACTLY the same place in the genomes of humans, gorillas, chimps, monkeys, etc. but NOT visible in the genomes of other mammals such as mice, foxes, horses, etc."

The obvious and rational answer is common descent from the same ancestors.

Looking at one retrovirus (HERV-K) here's what we find:

# of retroviral insertion points in common between humans and...
New World Monkeys: 2
Old World Monkeys: 4
Gibbons: 7
Orangutans: 9
Gorillas & Chimps: 11
Other Humans: 14

So what does that tell us?
It tells us that we share a common ancestor with all of these.

It tells us the order in which the various groups split off.

The least # of viruses in common split first. The most # split last.

The odds against humans and chimps both aquiring 11 common inserts? 1:1 followed by 132 zeros.

That is why DNA researchers consider ERVs to be slam-the-door positive evidence for evolution.
ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88227 Apr 28, 2013
Even satan believes in Jesus - so that would mean that he is wiser than atheists.

Sad - and scary.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88228 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>.
You appear to be, like most atheists, only looking for an argument - not a debate, nor the truth. The Bible says not to argue with "fools" - therefore, I won't allow you to engage me into your argument.
So Mike takes the time to answer, POINT BY POINT, your hate-filled anti-Catholic screed and, rather than responding and continuing the debate, you call him a fool and run away? LOL!
ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88229 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how about the clear fossil record of primates moving from more apelike to more human like on our families' branch of evolution.
one missing link after the other. you can actually look at the fossils online if you like...even other species of hominids that we interbred with that you god didn't even mention creating..how does that work?
of course, you god is a proven myth, and there is no evidence for any non-mythical god, gods, or goddesses ever. not one shred.
Like many "religions", you are basing your assumptions, and beliefs, on a mere secular "man" who had a theory, Woodtick. A "theory". His information was not based on any thing other than his opinion.
In other words, he, like you, was unable to explain "God" or Creation - so he came up with an opinion on what he "thinks" happened.
Is that who you want to follow behind? Goodness.

Everett, WA

#88230 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the Bible talks about people being willing ignorant. You know people like you.
No, that would be people like you. Just because the Bible says something you cannot apply that haphazardly to support your debunked beliefs. I can use it against idiots like you. When it became obvious that you did not know what evidence was I nicely offered to teach you how you could recognize scientific evidence. Even though this ability would improve your ability to argue against evolution you rejected my offer since you knew you would not be able to lie about evidence any more with what you consider a clean conscious.

You are not only a liar you are a hypocrite too. But then don't worry, most creatards have the same problem.

Everett, WA

#88231 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Even satan believes in Jesus - so that would mean that he is wiser than atheists.
Sad - and scary.
No, Satan is just another myth. Once again, adults take responsibility for their actions. They do not blame their bad actions upon others.

So do you want to see evidence for evolution? Since you have shown that you do not understand evidence you will first have to take a very short class in what is and what is not scientific evidence.
ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88232 Apr 28, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Orthologous Endogenous Retroviruses (ERVs)
BIologists tells us that ancient viruses left a marker in the host animal's cells. If it HAPPENED to leave this retroviral maker in a SPERM cell, then that ERV marker was passed down to EVERY SUBSEQUENT descendant and is clearly visible in the species' genome.
Now the question is "Why do humans share approximately 200,000 different ERV markers with chimps, slightly less than that with gorillas, and again slightly less with orangutans. Why are these retroviral markers in EXACTLY the same place in the genomes of humans, gorillas, chimps, monkeys, etc. but NOT visible in the genomes of other mammals such as mice, foxes, horses, etc."
The obvious and rational answer is common descent from the same ancestors.
Looking at one retrovirus (HERV-K) here's what we find:
# of retroviral insertion points in common between humans and...
New World Monkeys: 2
Old World Monkeys: 4
Gibbons: 7
Orangutans: 9
Gorillas & Chimps: 11
Other Humans: 14
So what does that tell us?
It tells us that we share a common ancestor with all of these.
It tells us the order in which the various groups split off.
The least # of viruses in common split first. The most # split last.
The odds against humans and chimps both aquiring 11 common inserts? 1:1 followed by 132 zeros.
That is why DNA researchers consider ERVs to be slam-the-door positive evidence for evolution.
Sigh.....
This doesnít prove evolution at all. This would be yet another interpretation of what you see under a microscope when it comes to genetics. You still need for example to actuallysee it take place as they claim. What do we continue to see in captivity with all the animals we have in the world at zoos? Dogs give birth to dogs, and not a freak show animal. And evolutionist contend that they donít claim animals give rise to a half dog half sheep (this is only an example b/c evolutionist tend to take what is said to an extreme). Bottom line is if you ask them, the common ancestor between apes and humans what was the % of that animal? Was it 50% human and 50% ape and gave birth to a human being that was 90% human and 10% ape? Did it give birthtoo twins an ape and a human where the ape was 90% ape and 10% human and the human had 90% human and 10% ape? Do you see where IĒm going with this? The question remains, how and what did the common ancestor look like? What did it give birth to? You canít continue to say well it takes millions of years, well bottom line if there is a common ancestor btwapes and humans then that ape like creature or human like creature is giving birth and rise to a half ape/human like creature and no matter how much you talk about it, eventually you get us 100% human or are we according to evolutionist.

ERVísprove nothing at all unless you can produce the common ancestor, how it gave rise or have the question answered that did it give birth to twin creatures a ape and a human like animal, or what. You just canít show us an evolutionary tree and show common ancestry unless you are willing to say that the common ancestor had to give birth to some pretty odd offspring that kept branching to you get humans, apes, whales, bats, whatever, there should be a fossil record full of strange transitional, but you see fossils that look like modern day creatures which is not consistent with what we see in evolutionary where there is suppose to be this common ancestry. If it takes millions of years of slow change then you should have that in the record but you have animals that look like what you can find on earth with argues against slow change.
For more information from the above excerpt, please click here:
http://egoeimi3.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/ervs...

Everett, WA

#88233 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Like many "religions", you are basing your assumptions, and beliefs, on a mere secular "man" who had a theory, Woodtick. A "theory". His information was not based on any thing other than his opinion.
In other words, he, like you, was unable to explain "God" or Creation - so he came up with an opinion on what he "thinks" happened.
Is that who you want to follow behind? Goodness.
Woodtick may be angry with fundies. Since they do tend to lie quite a lot I can see why he feels that way. He does not have any religious beliefs that I know of or any religion at all.

Atheism is not a religion. Atheists do not believe in god because sufficient evidence has never been given to believe in a god. You do not name people for what they don't believe in, it would take years to describe a person if that is the case. For example you are not an Allah denying, anti-Thor, non-Krishna, lapsed-Buddhist..... the list goes on and on. You are a Christian. You believe in Jesus, the trinity (probably) and all that goes with it. When an atheist is asked about his religious beliefs he simple says that he does not have any.

Think of it this way, is not playing football a sport?
ViaDolorosa

Columbus, GA

#88234 Apr 28, 2013
See, Gillette, and other present atheists-
We can all continue to copy/paste information that supports each of our beliefs til the cows come home. That settles nothing.
But, belief in God cannot be proven by science, nor any other manmade platform. God is supernatural - and if you guys are actually interested, which I don't think you are, but IF you are, then there are hundreds of youtube videos, as well as even more recounts of people who have witnessed and experienced unexplainable miracles and other divine presence.
But no one has time nor the desire to sit here and copy and paste all day long when it appears the only reason you guys want Christian response or participation in this forum is to use us for target practice.
Who would want to sit through that.

Everett, WA

#88235 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh.....
This doesnít prove evolution at all. This would be yet another interpretation of what you see under a microscope when it comes to genetics. You still need for example to actuallysee it take place as they claim. What do we continue to see in captivity with all the animals we have in the world at zoos? Dogs give birth to dogs, and not a freak show animal. And evolutionist contend that they donít claim animals give rise to a half dog half sheep (this is only an example b/c evolutionist tend to take what is said to an extreme). Bottom line is if you ask them, the common ancestor between apes and humans what was the % of that animal? Was it 50% human and 50% ape and gave birth to a human being that was 90% human and 10% ape? Did it give birthtoo twins an ape and a human where the ape was 90% ape and 10% human and the human had 90% human and 10% ape? Do you see where IĒm going with this? The question remains, how and what did the common ancestor look like? What did it give birth to? You canít continue to say well it takes millions of years, well bottom line if there is a common ancestor btwapes and humans then that ape like creature or human like creature is giving birth and rise to a half ape/human like creature and no matter how much you talk about it, eventually you get us 100% human or are we according to evolutionist.
ERVísprove nothing at all unless you can produce the common ancestor, how it gave rise or have the question answered that did it give birth to twin creatures a ape and a human like animal, or what. You just canít show us an evolutionary tree and show common ancestry unless you are willing to say that the common ancestor had to give birth to some pretty odd offspring that kept branching to you get humans, apes, whales, bats, whatever, there should be a fossil record full of strange transitional, but you see fossils that look like modern day creatures which is not consistent with what we see in evolutionary where there is suppose to be this common ancestry. If it takes millions of years of slow change then you should have that in the record but you have animals that look like what you can find on earth with argues against slow change.
For more information from the above excerpt, please click here:
http://egoeimi3.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/ervs...
And you clearly do not understand the theory you are trying to argue against. You are correct in a way about everything reproducing after their kind. The correct term is "clade". Once an animal is in a clade all of its descendants are in the same clade too. By the way, you made a very gross mistake. We share a common ancestor with other great apes. And since that ancestor would be called an ape, then we are apes too. So no, there was no 90% ape 10% human. All of the steps up are ape. Perhaps you want to rethink your terminology.

St. Croix valley

#88236 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Your assignment Jim, should you decide to except it is to look up the meaning of the following words so you can start using them correctly.
Fact
Proof
Proven
Lie
Truth
Cult
This posting will self destruct in 5 seconds........ Humm .... Ah come on destruct already ......
Well maybe not......
got them down already as my posts well show.

still not one bit of those proofs you say you have?

i have shown mine all the time...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min huntcoyotes 265,032
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) 8 min R12 Freon 1,998
News Under Trump, ICE arrests soar for migrants with... 9 min huntcoyotes 145
News US Sen. Elizabeth Warren launches book tour 11 min anonymous 97
News Is Trump building a blueprint for mass deportat... 11 min Fucisil 44
News Nation-Now 47 mins ago 7:57 p.m.First protected... 18 min huntcoyotes 18
News Comments 19 min anonymous 1
Gay Skype !! 1 hr latinhairy 341
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Cleo 240,294
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 hr uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 1,520,792
News Attorney General doesn't realize Hawaii is a state 4 hr davy 197
More from around the web