Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216817 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#85814 Apr 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>New and improved ULTRA-CREATOR!!! call now, operators always have been, and always will be, standing by...
But wait!!!

There's more!

For only three easy payments of 33.33 we will send you not just one new improved ULTRA CREATORS. We will send you two!

Just pay additional shipping and handling.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85815 Apr 11, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I could be wrong. Superman was an alien, and there is more proof of life on other planets than the existence of god. And who knows how the sun or atmosphere would affect an alien.
I saw an Ufoooo :) LoL

Really I'm serious.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#85816 Apr 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait!!!
There's more!
For only three easy payments of 33.33 we will send you not just one new improved ULTRA CREATORS. We will send you two!
Just pay additional shipping and handling.
ummm..have you not read the fine print. it is the three in one holy spirit ULTRA-CREATOR!!!8

*not available in Mecca and Tell Aviv.
Mary Magdalena

United States

#85817 Apr 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>If there is a multiverse, then it tends to reason there is something other than all the matter and energy and space/time we can observe huh?
If there are Multiverses they would be inside the Universe by definition. Twisting words (all out lying about them) will not win you crap. Go back to your Multi Myths!
Mary Magdalena

United States

#85818 Apr 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>And of course if the universe is so complex that it must have had a creator then that same logic demands that god would have to be even more complex and he would need a creator too.
Sub,

Why not answer the questions posed to you? Afraid of the Box?

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#85819 Apr 11, 2013
Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
If there are Multiverses they would be inside the Universe by definition. Twisting words (all out lying about them) will not win you crap. Go back to your Multi Myths!
No they all wouldn't have to be, I'm not twisting anything here.
The universe is simply all known matter energy and space/time.
It doesn't mean it isn't possible something is disconnected and exists outside it. You can battle with that all you like, but it is the truth. We can't even observe the totality of this universe, or see the edge, it is possible that if we could.
We might find it is within an even greater universe.
Or there were other universes outside of this one.
We simply cannot say there is, or rule out these possibilities.

St. Croix valley

#85820 Apr 11, 2013
Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
Typo not Nod But God.:)
typos in the divinely inspired bible? i think not...

St. Croix valley

#85821 Apr 11, 2013
Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
not our universe, they would be outside that.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#85822 Apr 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
"parabolic"?
Wow.
That made me go (°_o), also.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#85823 Apr 11, 2013
Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
Typo not Nod But God.:)
Plus ca change.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#85824 Apr 11, 2013
"Dark flow" is no fluke, suggests a new study that strengthens the case for unknown, unseen "structures" lurking on the outskirts of creation.

In 2008 scientists reported the discovery of hundreds of galaxy clusters streaming in the same direction at more than 2.2 million miles (3.6 million kilometers) an hour.

This mysterious motion can't be explained by current models for distribution of mass in the universe. So the researchers made the controversial suggestion that the clusters are being tugged on by the gravity of matter outside the known universe.

Now the same team has found that the dark flow extends even deeper into the universe than previously reported: out to at least 2.5 billion light-years from Earth.

After using two additional years' worth of data and tracking twice the number of galaxy clusters, "we clearly see the flow, we clearly see it pointing in the same direction," said study leader Alexander Kashlinsky, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

"It looks like a very coherent flow."

The find adds to the case that chunks of matter got pushed outside the known universe shortly after the big bang—which in turn hints that our universe is part of something larger: a multiverse.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#85825 Apr 11, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove your positive assertion.

The first human bones/skeletons were found in Africa to be 200,000 years old. Subsequent bones/skeletons of human remains have been found to be many tens of thousands of years old. Human remains have been found ALL OVER (not Antarctica)the earth (not Africa, they go back 200,000 years there)dating dating back as far as 50,000 years.

Human artifacts and tools have been found dating back as far as the humans. By 15,000 years ago humans were on all continents of the world except Antarctica. There is no doubts at all in these findings and ALL mainline scientists accept it.

Also just fairly recently DNA science confirmed the archaeology and paleoanthropology findings and also determined that the human genome was NEVER down to just 1 reproducing couple (or 4 for the non-existent flood)

And you may have heard the recent news that DNA has confirmed that most humans on earth (not sub-Saharan Africans) carry a small percentage of Neanderthal genes/blood in their bodies, making that final connection for us to the line of great apes.

Can you tell me how the myth of Adam and Eve fits in the above factual scenario??
Mark

United States

#85826 Apr 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>You'd take the word of a guy that purposefully used equipment that couldn't date the samples he had accurately to try and create a hoax? why would you do that? that is not logical.
They sent the samples to the same natl recognized labs as the establishment researchers use. This was to eliminate the argument you assert and be consistent. They had to use 3rd parties to do it because the evo side labs feared what they would find and refused to work with them directly, due to prejudice and assoc.
Mark

United States

#85827 Apr 11, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
Atheists are well-behaved and we seem to play well with others overall.
Atheists are not in the news, like the Christian right, for getting caught doing things they tell others not to do. You know…those nasty little sexual things.
Atheists almost always co-exist peacefully with religious believing family and friends.
Atheists pay taxes just like the religious believers do.
Atheists are waaay under represented in jails and prisons…we’re actually pretty moral people.
Atheists don’t start wars on behalf of atheism…unlike religion.
They do join the military however, and contrary to clichéd belief, they are found in foxholes.
Atheists believe strongly in America and the whole American Constitution, but particularly the First Amendment that separates church and state.
Atheists are secularists who support a government free from influence by any religion. We are not anti-religious, we are Non-Religious.
Atheists don’t take up a lot of space. The non-religious/atheist/agnostic members of American society only add up to a little less than 18% of the whole population…but we are growing.
Atheists make good neighbors. Chances are, if you live next door, or work with an atheist, you will never know it.
Atheists in general, are much more supportive of women’s rights and for their right to control their own bodies and lives without church or state interference.
Unlike the religious right people, atheists don’t like to get into other peoples business and dictate how they should live….what they should do or not do. You know…like who you should marry.
Atheists are not known for going door-to-door to convert people to our way of thinking. We are however, known to help our friends and neighbors with no thought of there being a heavenly reward in it for us.
Unlike many of the present Republican presidential candidates and the religious right in general Atheists do not advocate or align themselves with groups who want to take over our government and reshape America into a religiously ruled theocracy…you know, kinda’ like the Middle Eastern Islamic states.
Atheists, unlike the Republican Right, the Tea-Party, and the religious right, do not go around with guns in meetings and say the President will never take their guns away, or wishing the president would fail and generally disrespecting the President and the office. Or call him ni_ger behind his back.
Atheists mostly do know a lot about religion, as many were raised in a religious family, and they tend to research and know their positions really well. In recent national polling about religious knowledge, atheists knew more than any religious sub-group.
Hmmm…could it be…could the atheists actually be better citizens and better people to know than theists??? I know I never disrespect, with malice, someone for believing the ‘wrong thing’…I just like to get into friendly arguments/debates with them.
And remember…Atheism cures religious terrorism
Stalin and Chairman Mao are examples of good atheist citizens of the world

Mao -

Chinese
Political party
Communist Party of China
Spouse(s)

Luo Yixiu (1907–1910)
Yang Kaihui (1920–1930)
He Zizhen (1930–1937)
Jiang Qing (1939–1976)

Religion - None (atheist)

Murdered - millions

Stalin -

Political party
Communist Party of the Soviet Union
Spouse(s)
Ekaterina Svanidze (1906–1907)
Nadezhda Alliluyeva (1919–1932)
Children
Yakov Dzhugashvili, Vasily Dzhugashvili, Svetlana Alliluyeva
Religion

None (atheist)

Murdered - millions

"Hmmm…could it be…could the atheists actually be better citizens and better people to know than theists??? I know I never disrespect, with malice, someone for believing the ‘wrong thing’…I just like to get into friendly arguments/debates with them.
And remember…Atheism cures religious terrorism"!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#85828 Apr 11, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Mao -
Chinese
Political party
Communist Party of China
Spouse(s)
Luo Yixiu (1907–1910)
Yang Kaihui (1920–1930)
He Zizhen (1930–1937)
Jiang Qing (1939–1976)
Murdered - millions
Stalin -
Political party
Spouse(s)
Children
Religion
None (atheist)
Murdered - millions
"Hmmm…could it be…could the atheists actually be better citizens and better people to know than theists??? I know I never disrespect, with malice, someone for believing the ‘wrong thing’…I just like to get into friendly arguments/debates with them.
You forgot Pol Pot in Cambodia. I don't know how many he killed, but it was in the millions, and as far as I know he was an atheists.

Do you know about the Christian wars? I doubt they killed as many as Stalin (he was a real true sociopath), but their death toll WAS in the millions and was absolutely uncalled for, and I really doubt that 'God' was behind ANY of it.

As late as the early 1800's the Catholics tried (probably succeeded in some cases), to kill people for blasphemy or heresy in some countries. They still tell politicians how the government should regulate marriage and sexual practices. And they are still responsible for thousands of deaths in Africa by their outmoded birth control policies among the poor.

There are always going to be bad and evil people plotting to take over and it always involves killing. Like Hitler, some will use religion, and some are just sociopaths and don't give a sh!t for human life.

Remember that atheists are tremendously UNDER represented in jails and prisons. We are generally good people...we just don't believe your myths.

St. Croix valley

#85829 Apr 12, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Mao -
Chinese
Political party
Communist Party of China
Spouse(s)
Luo Yixiu (1907–1910)
Yang Kaihui (1920–1930)
He Zizhen (1930–1937)
Jiang Qing (1939–1976)
Murdered - millions
Stalin -
Political party
Spouse(s)
Children
Religion
None (atheist)
Murdered - millions
But mark, it was people of faith that did almost oll of the killing for those despots.

why would people of faith give up their morals )assuming they had any to begin with and didn't follow the bible's teaching...) and do the bidding of these despots? is the faith that weak and that poor of a moral guide?

perhaps the cult mentality is a perfect slide into despot mentality, just trading one false leader for another...

anyhoo...it was, in fact, people of faith doing all the killing, not atheists.

history is fun!

St. Croix valley

#85830 Apr 12, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
They sent the samples to the same natl recognized labs as the establishment researchers use. This was to eliminate the argument you assert and be consistent. They had to use 3rd parties to do it because the evo side labs feared what they would find and refused to work with them directly, due to prejudice and assoc.
the lab clearly said they knew they couldn't accurately date those types of samples. they told this to Austin.

why would any credible scientist go ahead, let alone publish those results? the answer: Austin is not credible.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#85831 Apr 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"And yes, brown eyes are a mutation"
Boy are you scrapping bottom.
For brown eyes to be mutation you would need to know what the color of the first eye was.
And a again they are not mutation. Color of eyes and other things along those lines are dictated by flipping on and off genes. Nothing new just on or off switches. If the genes are there then nothing is new just different combination
Just as these binary number below can create a large number of differences but nothing new just different combination.
And so on
And on and on.
Lots of combination but nothing of new creation just on off switches.
You quite simply do not have the first clue what you're talking about. Here's your first two examples:

And a mutation could also produce:

or:

This has been long known by biologists, but you fundies are still at least 150 years out of date.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#85832 Apr 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
""perfect genome" is impossible"
To atheist yes.
With God all things are possible.
No it isn't.

Not the creationist's god anyway, since they keep telling it what it can and can't do.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#85833 Apr 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct !!
You got it!!
God is not matter, space or energy.
You also confuse man made definition
With God. God exist outside of his creation (the universe). Matter, Space and energy does not exist outside of the universe. Mans (Science) definition.
God cannot be outside of the universe if it exists. According to you anyway, which is why you kept posting the definition in the first place. Once again another fine demonstration of fundie hypocrisy by throwing out definitions whenever they are found to be theologically inconvenient.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 2 min Lawrence Wolf 2,197
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min America 253,393
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Susanm 1,459,273
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Rico from East Lo... 404,171
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min Pups 312,805
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 6 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1,032
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 7 min America 435
More from around the web