Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64699 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> But we all know that life will always move on, it always goes on with time. Since that applies, it shows that a creator is at work. You will never understand that.
Cultural Dictionary

To err is human, to forgive divine definition

All people commit sins and make mistakes. God forgives them, and people are acting in a godlike (divine) way when they forgive. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.

Wonder where Pope coined the phrase from...hmmm.....

Pope suffered for being a Catholic among Anglicans, and an independent writer living in a time when writing was not considered viable as a self-sustaining career. Despite these challenges, Pope is considered by critics to be one of the greatest poets of the eighteenth century...

Early life

Alexander Pope was born in the City of London to Alexander, Sr., a linen merchant, and Edith Pope, who were both Roman Catholic. Pope was educated mostly at home, in part due to laws protecting the status of the established Church of England, which banned Catholics from teaching. Pope was taught to read by his aunt and then sent to two Catholic schools, at Twyford and at Hyde Park Corner. Catholic schools, while illegal, were tolerated in some areas.

From early childhood, Pope suffered numerous health problems, including Pott's disease (a form of tuberculosis affecting the spine), which deformed his body and stunted his growth—no doubt helping to end his life at the relatively young age of 56 in 1744. His height never exceeded 1.37 meters (4 feet 6 inches).

In 1700, his family was forced to move to a small estate in Binfield, Berkshire due to strong anti-Catholic sentiment and a statute preventing Catholics from living within 10 miles (16 km) of either London or Westminster. Pope would later describe the countryside around the house in his poem Windsor Forest.

With his formal education now at an end, Pope began an extensive period of reading. As he later remembered: "In a few years I had dipped into a great number of the English, French, Italian, Latin, and Greek poets. This I did without any design but that of pleasing myself, and got the languages by hunting after the stories...rather than read the books to get the languages." His favourite author was Homer, whom he had first read at age eight in the English translation by John Ogilby. Pope was already writing verse: he claimed he wrote one poem, Ode to Solitude, at the age of twelve.

We COULD assume...given the background references...but...

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

:-)
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64700 Dec 11, 2012
and....

Pope also wrote the famous epitaph for Sir Isaac Newton:

"Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night;
God said 'Let Newton be' and all was light."
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64701 Dec 11, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
First time I heard that God's major objective was to see us killed.
<quoted text>

No. Just to prove a point to us, because of our unbelief that he is the almighty and the creator.

Hense Jesus.

No comic book character there now.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#64702 Dec 11, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am saying it's GOOD when parents take care of their FAMILIES, one hundred percently, first and foremost!!!
My "ideal" however, is a flipping ...mmm...NONE of your business!!
Well! Not in a sharing mood, eh?

"Parents" taking care of their families is not the same as a patriarchy. Since I don't have kids, perhaps I'm a bit more flexible about such things!:D

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#64703 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Here you go. And yet those Christian scientist are still upholding what is false. Just keep quiet and face reality. God is real and no one can deny that, except liars under the guise of science.
What an ego you have!

Everyone, even scientists of the Christian faith, are 'upholding what is false', because YOU cannot understand the scientific evidence behind what they're discovering?

Say Chuckie...try this on for size: YOU don't know any more abut the nature of God than anyone else that has ever lived.

You might THINK you're special, but you're not.

As an agnostic, I have just as good of a chance as "knowing God" as the Pope, your minister, your Mother or YOU.

You have FAITH in a series of stories in an ancient book.
THAT'S IT.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#64704 Dec 11, 2012
<quoted text>
THE most BORING blahblahblah book I've ever forced myself to read, was written by L Ron Hubbard.
I didn't like it, it lacked humane, goodly SUBSTANCE.
Ron lacks much of anything but page count.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#64705 Dec 11, 2012
<quoted text>
Cultural Dictionary
To err is human, to forgive divine definition
All people commit sins and make mistakes. God forgives them, and people are acting in a godlike (divine) way when they forgive. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.
Wonder where Pope coined the phrase from...hmmm.....
Pope suffered for being a Catholic among Anglicans, and an independent writer living in a time when writing was not considered viable as a self-sustaining career. Despite these challenges, Pope is considered by critics to be one of the greatest poets of the eighteenth century...
Early life
Alexander Pope was born in the City of London to Alexander, Sr., a linen merchant, and Edith Pope, who were both Roman Catholic. Pope was educated mostly at home, in part due to laws protecting the status of the established Church of England, which banned Catholics from teaching. Pope was taught to read by his aunt and then sent to two Catholic schools, at Twyford and at Hyde Park Corner. Catholic schools, while illegal, were tolerated in some areas.
From early childhood, Pope suffered numerous health problems, including Pott's disease (a form of tuberculosis affecting the spine), which deformed his body and stunted his growth—no doubt helping to end his life at the relatively young age of 56 in 1744. His height never exceeded 1.37 meters (4 feet 6 inches).
In 1700, his family was forced to move to a small estate in Binfield, Berkshire due to strong anti-Catholic sentiment and a statute preventing Catholics from living within 10 miles (16 km) of either London or Westminster. Pope would later describe the countryside around the house in his poem Windsor Forest.
With his formal education now at an end, Pope began an extensive period of reading. As he later remembered: "In a few years I had dipped into a great number of the English, French, Italian, Latin, and Greek poets. This I did without any design but that of pleasing myself, and got the languages by hunting after the stories...rather than read the books to get the languages." His favourite author was Homer, whom he had first read at age eight in the English translation by John Ogilby. Pope was already writing verse: he claimed he wrote one poem, Ode to Solitude, at the age of twelve.
We COULD assume...given the background references...but...
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
:-)
All Popes are/were sodomizers. Freakshow, don't paint us pretty pictures.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Patagonia

#64706 Dec 11, 2012
<quoted text>
And we have also been able to PROVE, much of what took place in the Bible as TRUTHS, because of SCIENCE.
Two way street there kiddo-sorry.
Do you even know what we have been able to disprove in the Bible...and if you do, do you understand the ramifications of it???

Patagonia

#64707 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And that gaps vividly proves the existence of God.
Only until we close the gap...which we have been doing for years now.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#64708 Dec 11, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak much Gaelic, or just the provocative kind?*
*Says the long time Pogues fan!
I was born and raised in the West of Ireland, in an area where Gaelic is still the primary language.

Forty years later, I still sometimes dream in it.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#64709 Dec 11, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What an ego you have!
Everyone, even scientists of the Christian faith, are 'upholding what is false', because YOU cannot understand the scientific evidence behind what they're discovering?
Say Chuckie...try this on for size: YOU don't know any more abut the nature of God than anyone else that has ever lived.
You might THINK you're special, but you're not.
As an agnostic, I have just as good of a chance as "knowing God" as the Pope, your minister, your Mother or YOU.
You have FAITH in a series of stories in an ancient book.
THAT'S IT.
Just grow up and stop being naive. You know nothing about the almighty God.
That alone, is the reason why we have alot of Christian scientist.

Patagonia

#64710 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> If religion are lies, they would have been in the minority or in extinction, but the reverse were the case. Just sit upon your first degree lies.
Next lies from you, Bill.
Is Islam a lie? It will soon be the majority religion on earth. More people now practice Islam than practice Catholicism (which used to be the largest denomination).

Is Hinduism a lie? Around a billion people in India and thereabouts practice this religion...has been around longer than Christianity has been around...it is generally regarded as the world's oldest organized religion.

Both of the above are dynamic growing religions who's adherents are just as positive that they serve the ‘True God Of The Universe’™ as you are about yours.

Check the stats on belief in Christianity in the UK. I believe they just did a census about it.

In your hubris you think you know the true answer and you cannot see the biases that Christianity has imbued in you, my friend.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#64711 Dec 11, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I was born and raised in the West of Ireland, in an area where Gaelic is still the primary language.
Forty years later, I still sometimes dream in it.
I didn't know that Gaelic was a primary language ANYwhere anymore.

Me, I just have a mother who's Newfoundland Irish. They speak with a blended Irish/English accent (at least to us Americans)along with some of that Maritime slang.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#64712 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Just grow up and stop being naive. You know nothing about the almighty God.
It always amazes me when Fundimentalist Christians like Chuckles here implores rational people to 'grow up and stop being naive' when they themselves believe in talking snakes, magic fruit, a non-existant world-wide flood, a man living in the belly of a fish for 3 days, and a whole host of other fairy tales.

Chucky, if you have faith in God, that's great. But if I were you, I would take some of your own advice regarding 'growing up, and stop being naive'.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#64713 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Just grow up and stop being naive. You know nothing about the almighty God.
I've read "The Tao of Pooh". Can I make arrogant claims of authority without observing the rules of scientific method too?

...maybe I'll qualify as a PhD if I go on to read "The Te of Piglet".
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64714 Dec 11, 2012
Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
All Popes are/were sodomizers. Freakshow, don't paint us pretty pictures.
Try reading it again. Maybe with your eyes OPEN this time?
Scottdeep

UK

#64715 Dec 11, 2012
have a look at this.

http://uvioo.com/video/...
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64716 Dec 11, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what we have been able to disprove in the Bible...and if you do, do you understand the ramifications of it???
I don't feel the need to "DISprove" anything.

I believe in peoples rights to believe and worship however they wish-so long they are RATIONAL, do NOT hurt anyone else, AND they accept PERSONAL responsibility for their OWN actions (as in NOT BLAMING others UNjustly)--like SANE ADULTS!!!

It's a CONSTIUTIONAL thing...you know..what this nation is founded upon?!

So, YOU can STUFF YOUR own warped "ramifications" where the sun doesnt shine-becauseI don't NEED your beliefs (or the LACK of them) because I have my OWN.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64717 Dec 11, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It always amazes me when Fundimentalist Christians like Chuckles here implores rational people to 'grow up and stop being naive' when they themselves believe in talking snakes, magic fruit, a non-existant world-wide flood, a man living in the belly of a fish for 3 days, and a whole host of other fairy tales.
Chucky, if you have faith in God, that's great. But if I were you, I would take some of your own advice regarding 'growing up, and stop being naive'.
See: figurative

Literally.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64718 Dec 11, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
(after you clean the spoon-fed spooge of the delusional, out of your eyes)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 6 min cyrus neighbors 6,680
Obama wants an election about the economy, not him 11 min Even Steven 542
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 12 min Earthling-1 32,981
Romney Leads Scattered 2016 GOP Field, Clinton ... 13 min Black Rhino 52
Ebola commentary desperately needs clarification 15 min R12 Freon 56
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 26 min Agents of Corruption 269,988
Rahall-Jenkins House race remains tight 32 min FACTS 46
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 52 min EasyEed 1,125,470
GOP governors don't see 'Obamacare' going away 3 hr spud 46
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 4 hr cpeter1313 1,430