Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201786 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#61620 Nov 28, 2012
Indy_Pendent wrote:
<quoted text>
Or perhaps this guy is an exception to the camel and needle parable...
They all say that...

:-/
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#61621 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
So would that mean he evolved backward?
Evolution is not goal-directed. There is no "forwards" or "backwards". There is only change and the passage of time.

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#61622 Nov 28, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Humans ARE apes. Who are you to say what the Lord Almighty God the Creator of the entire universe can or cannot do? God is not limited by your petty imagination, nor the petty understanding of the simple men who wrote the Bible.

By the way, man DOES adapt - for instance look at the Han-Chinese who have adapted to living at higher altitudes. Not by technology, but biological evolution.

Elephants can also change their environment. In some places they have a habit of knocking down trees. Doesn't mean they stop evolving though.
According to the bible Adam was still live when Noah was born so maybe God flooded the earth because evolution went wild and he had to cover up the ape kids of Adam and Eve. Or a more logical thought here God created what he wanted to the way he wanted to and he used a similar blue print when creating man as he did when creating apes. A grass hut is a building so is a skyscraper they're same no but they're both buildings. A jumbo jetliner is an airplane so is a biplane same idea but not the same.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#61623 Nov 28, 2012
Constitution-lover wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible tells us all we nee to know. If you opened your heart and mind you would see Gods hand on all things.
Now you dont have to believe me and I only pitty fools who dont put there faith in God. I will go to heaven to worship and sing Gods praise for eternity. If you dont follow God you will burn in agony for all eternity....WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?
If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare,'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.(Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#61624 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the bible Adam was still live when Noah was born so maybe God flooded the earth because evolution went wild and he had to cover up the ape kids of Adam and Eve. Or a more logical thought here God created what he wanted to the way he wanted to and he used a similar blue print when creating man as he did when creating apes. A grass hut is a building so is a skyscraper they're same no but they're both buildings. A jumbo jetliner is an airplane so is a biplane same idea but not the same.
However, using this excuse you destroy your mythology completely, so why follow it at all? Why not hold out until something that's demonstrable appears? Why pervert your mythology and scientific data to make it all fit in such a haphazard way as to make both meaningless? We also know that there was no world wide flood.

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#61625 Nov 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Depends on who or what your god is. Since you capitalize it you are likely following the christian one, all of the myths about that one have already been addressed and demonstrated to be inaccurate, often completely wrong, in most cases, the few that were not are nothing more than historical events with pixie dust.The few "prophecies" that came true are akin to saying "it's going to rain in Seattle sometime in the near future" as a prophecy, it's going to happen and anyone with half a brain and some observational skills would know it would. I really wish you had not bought into that con, you have curiosity, and that's the one trait we need to have more of in humanity again, we need to restore our curiosity, but your religious beliefs are devised in a way to quell that curiosity, and make you doubt reality instead of the delusion.
My faith doesn't make me unwilling to learn. It gives me freedom from sin. Evolution isn't sinful. Removing God from his creation is. Faith is just a part of who I am like an arm or a leg. I was once a very mean person I drank to much spent a lot of time in jail I was a thief and a liar. When I was at my lowest point God found me when no one else would have me God accepted me he has answered so many of my prayers it goes so far beyond mathematical probability. When I say I have first hand knowledge of God I mean what I say not some guy told me about Jesus and now I have his knowledge.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#61626 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the bible Adam was still live when Noah was born so maybe God flooded the earth because evolution went wild and he had to cover up the ape kids of Adam and Eve. Or a more logical thought here God created what he wanted to the way he wanted to and he used a similar blue print when creating man as he did when creating apes. A grass hut is a building so is a skyscraper they're same no but they're both buildings. A jumbo jetliner is an airplane so is a biplane same idea but not the same.
Your point shows a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution. Your example of "ape kids" is one of hybridization. I am not aware of any human and ape hybrids and hybridization in this instance can't occur for a number of reasons, but hybridization is not a very good mechanism of evolution. In most cases the hybrids are sterile or have some traits that reduce their fitness.

Why is it more logical? A being for which you can't prove the existence of portrayed creating man in a story that has questionable validity seems more logical than the facts unearthed by archaeology, history, paleontology, biology, genetics, geology, molecular biology and ecology?
You are probably right, yours is the more logical story.

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#61627 Nov 28, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Why do fundie Christians give a hoot what the Mayans have to say?
I have no idea why anyone cares about that. I just figured the guy writing the calendar got hand cramps and died.

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#61628 Nov 28, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not goal-directed. There is no "forwards" or "backwards". There is only change and the passage of time.
It was a joke guy

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#61629 Nov 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>However, using this excuse you destroy your mythology completely, so why follow it at all? Why not hold out until something that's demonstrable appears? Why pervert your mythology and scientific data to make it all fit in such a haphazard way as to make both meaningless? We also know that there was no world wide flood.
I wouldn't know about a world wide anything at the time of the flood. Unless all the land was connected at the time how would some of the animals gotten to Noah in the first place. Maybe at the time of the flood people hadn't spread out so far as to need a world flood just a really big flood. Maybe their was a world floor and. Massive earth quake that separated the land masses.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#61630 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the bible Adam was still live when Noah was born so maybe God flooded the earth because evolution went wild and he had to cover up the ape kids of Adam and Eve. Or a more logical thought here God created what he wanted to the way he wanted to and he used a similar blue print when creating man as he did when creating apes. A grass hut is a building so is a skyscraper they're same no but they're both buildings. A jumbo jetliner is an airplane so is a biplane same idea but not the same.
I see nothing logical in this.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#61631 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
My faith doesn't make me unwilling to learn. It gives me freedom from sin. Evolution isn't sinful. Removing God from his creation is.
Then all science is sin, as not one single field of science invokes any God of any kind.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#61632 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a joke guy
Then we need Wolvie.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#61633 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know about a world wide anything at the time of the flood. Unless all the land was connected at the time how would some of the animals gotten to Noah in the first place. Maybe at the time of the flood people hadn't spread out so far as to need a world flood just a really big flood. Maybe their was a world floor and. Massive earth quake that separated the land masses.
The landmasses were already separated long before humans appeared on the scene. Otherwise if we are to be generous, calling the flood a local event would be your best bet. Separating the landmasses after humans arrived is a good way to destroy all life on Earth.
FREE SERVANT
#61634 Nov 28, 2012
The early period of human history is said to be the Stone Age by Darwinist, but the Bible tells us there were giants in those days and Noah fashioned an ark with a window and a door and it had three stories. I don't think an apelike caveman could have done such a thing. The first humans must have had good understanding with a high mental capacity. I have seen studies that indicate aptitude may have decreased from the first man.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#61635 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
My faith doesn't make me unwilling to learn. It gives me freedom from sin. Evolution isn't sinful. Removing God from his creation is. Faith is just a part of who I am like an arm or a leg. I was once a very mean person I drank to much spent a lot of time in jail I was a thief and a liar. When I was at my lowest point God found me when no one else would have me God accepted me he has answered so many of my prayers it goes so far beyond mathematical probability. When I say I have first hand knowledge of God I mean what I say not some guy told me about Jesus and now I have his knowledge.
Evolution really doesn't remove God from creation. Evolution is just what is seen when you look at all the evidence.

If you feel you are a better person because of your faith that is great, but your faith or any other should not be the basis for science. Science doesn't care about religion, politics, geography or national boundries.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#61636 Nov 28, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The early period of human history is said to be the Stone Age by Darwinist, but the Bible tells us there were giants in those days and Noah fashioned an ark with a window and a door and it had three stories. I don't think an apelike caveman could have done such a thing. The first humans must have had good understanding with a high mental capacity. I have seen studies that indicate aptitude may have decreased from the first man.
The Stone Age was coined by archeologists if I am not mistaken. It refers to the level of technology possessed by those peoples. Biblical times were in what is known as the Bronze Age.

What do giants referenced in the Bible have to do with anything? How tall were they? What was the average adult height at the time? Good understanding of what? What studies were these? How did they quantify aptitude? How were they able to quantify the aptitude of the "first man?" If aptitude is decreasing, then how come science and technology are increaseing?
FREE SERVANT
#61637 Nov 28, 2012
Anyone who calls themselves Christians should believe Noah existed because Jesus mentioned him.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#61638 Nov 28, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Anyone who calls themselves Christians should believe Noah existed because Jesus mentioned him.
...or, at least the people writing about Jesus (minimum 60 yrs after His supposed death) SAID Jesus mentioned Noah.

....at least thats what those persons that EDITED the books that became the Bible (cir 1300's?) said that those writers of the books of the Bible said!
FREE SERVANT
#61639 Nov 28, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
...or, at least the people writing about Jesus (minimum 60 yrs after His supposed death) SAID Jesus mentioned Noah.
....at least thats what those persons that EDITED the books that became the Bible (cir 1300's?) said that those writers of the books of the Bible said!
Yes, and it a miracle that we have the Bible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Green Political Machine Foil Trump? 2 min Say It Ain t So Jo 50
News Why Tim Kaine has already made history 2 min Jared Axelrod Dem... 29
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 2 min mimus polyglottos 5,760
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,406,307
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min Right Wing Whacko 391,775
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Abe 233,687
News Alabama's chief justice defends his gay marriag... 7 min Gremlin 9
News Trump bounces into the lead 11 min positronium 331
More from around the web