Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
Elohim

Deep River, CT

#53327 Oct 18, 2012
President Starky wrote:
Evolution is a religion.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance.
Hippocrates

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#53328 Oct 18, 2012
anonymous wrote:
I don't think Double Fine is working too hard at defending the existence of divinity. Maybe lechery, but not divinity.
Haha!

You made me almost spit up my coffee!

#53329 Oct 18, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
...er...delete the first "to most people".
<damn>
Don't worry, old chap.

At your age, such things happen

*Low blow alert*

How goes with you amigo?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#53330 Oct 18, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Daniel Webster
"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from anothe quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence. I must confess that I do apprehend some danger. I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men and become the instruments of their own undoing."
"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world."
"If we abide by the principles taught in the Bible, our country will go
Stop trynig to throw out the Constitution then, if that's really how you feel.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#53331 Oct 18, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
"Ignorance will come wrapped in the quotes of a dead, America hating alcoholic"
Billy Graham?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#53332 Oct 18, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Using your definition of science, observations and experiments, tell me whether abiogenesis is based on evidence or faith that it occurred.
Evidence. Of course the theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis. This has been addressed over and over, and you still have not been able to formulate a rational coherent rebuttal. So why don't you skip to the trolling and lame puddle goo jokes instead?(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#53333 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Whatever!!!
But i know that, the koran as its roots or base from the bible...
... which in turn has its roots in Judaism.

So the Jews were right all along, right?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#53334 Oct 18, 2012
President Starky wrote:
Evolution is a religion.
You're making Wolvie look smart. And he shot Bigfoot. Carry on.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#53335 Oct 18, 2012
Because most professions *use* mathematics and English. That *still* doesn't make mathematics a science.
Charles Idemi wrote:
You are contradicting yourself.
How did I supposedly contradict myself?

Tampa, FL

#53336 Oct 18, 2012
Because most professions *use* mathematics and English. That *still* doesn't make mathematics a science.
Charles Idemi wrote:
No. I want you to know that, there is a difference between " use " and " requirement ".
Even if a science were *required* to use mathematics, it *still* would not mean that mathematics is a type of science.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Maths ( a type of science)
Mathematics is not a type of science. It is one of the tools used by science.

Tampa, FL

#53337 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
There is no unreal world
Really? So when mathematicians can create formulas about 25-dimension spaces, where exactly are those spaces in our real world?
Charles Idemi wrote:
If according to you, maths is unreal...
I didn't say that mathematics (there is no such word as "maths") was unreal. I said that it wasn't about the real world.

There's a difference.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#53338 Oct 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
I do believe God created an adult male and female human.
What do you make of these?
http://xfacts.com/xnews/index.html
"The Sumerian culture, the first civilization to invent writing as a complete written language, recorded stories that have been preserved through the modern day biblical passages found in the Old and New testament. All of which speak of a time when man lived among their living gods here on earth. The Sumerians had 7 sacred tablets that explained our creation. These stories preserved in stone, are now told to us in the form of the english version, "7 days of creation".
They also had a story of a great flood, and how one of the Gods choose to give a certain Sumerian man knowledge on how to build a boat that could withstand the great flood. All the stories in the bible are just translated versions of the original Sumerian Texts that we still have today preserved in stone, unchanged.
The Sumerians tell us that their Gods, taught them all the amazing knowledge that the Sumerian Culture possessed, 6,000 years ago. They called their Gods, "anunnaki" which is translated to mean "those who from heaven to earth came".."

These old myths are always interesting.

Tampa, FL

#53339 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Mathematics, in clear terms, is not a language
Yes, it is. It uses symbols manipulated by a set of rules (a grammar).

That's what a language is.

Tampa, FL

#53340 Oct 18, 2012
Chemistry and physics discover new information about the real world, because they use the scientific method. Mathematics does not, because it doesn't.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And if that aspect of Mathematics, are completely out of physics, physics, Chemistry would no longer be a complete science.
That is why your analogy is wrong.
I wasn't using an analogy.

You really don't understand logical forms, do you?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#53341 Oct 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that the people who invented the first written language finds it important enough to write in stone these biblical books.
They were not writing a bed time story book. Big stone tablets don't work well for story time. These were important books to these people.

Yes. And still today we have important books like the Koran and the Book of Mormon.

Tampa, FL

#53342 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Since Physics and Chemistry are man made, they just a type of language
Chairs are man-made.

A chair is not a type of language.

#53343 Oct 18, 2012

Tampa, FL

#53344 Oct 18, 2012
What is "your country"? Does it have a name?
Charles Idemi wrote:
My country is personal to me, but for this purpose, i will tell you my continent, my continent is Africa.
Fine. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that your country was Ethiopia. Here's a quote from the website for "Books for Africa": "UoG-ASAP plans to improve library holdings of the University of Gondar and area schools and colleges. Currently within the university, there is lack of textbooks in all fields particularly in science and mathematics."

Notice that they say "science and mathematics". If mathematics was a science, why would they need to say "and mathematics"? "Science" would be enough to cover it.

Thanks for proving yet again that mathematics is not a science.

Tampa, FL

#53345 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
You did not mentioned that, philosophy is taken as a core subject in other countries.
I didn't say that it wasn't. I was replying to *your* comment, where you said that it was required in *all* countries. You failed to limit your comment to only some countries. So I demonstrated that you were wrong.

Tampa, FL

#53346 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Your use of unreal world, signifies that
As Stephen J. Gould wrote: "The final proofs of logic and mathematics flow deductively from stated premises and achieve certainty only because they are not about the empirical world."

Why do you insult logic and mathematics? Do you think that mathematical proofs are substandard because they are not about the empirical world?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 min KIng Clutch 294,808
Obama: Racism, bias in US will take time to tackle 2 min Uncle Bob 721
Body cameras for cops could be the biggest chan... 4 min barefoot2626 1,668
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min positronium 165,538
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Guru 182,156
Parties assess variables looking at 2016 map 5 min barefoot2626 35
Bush father, son want Jeb Bush run for White House 6 min tee 4
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min Teaman 1,156,200
"The Interview" Opens to Sold-Out Crowds 55 min RayOne 9
Official: US eyes dozens of Gitmo transfers 1 hr Responsibility 6
Thousands attend 8-hour wake for slain NYC officer 1 hr Responsibility 11
More from around the web